2008-2009 Stanford Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does the status page change if u're rejected? mine will be coming soon, like tomo...
Nope, no change.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yep, no change. I'm strangely not too sad about this one, even though it was my alma mater. Guess my four years of research weren't good enough for them :( It's okay Stanford, I still love you.
:laugh: I wasn't too sad about it either, although I really wanted an interview there. Maybe because it's the end of the cycle? We're now immune to rejections.

so many posts, the last one i saw was LET's post and i replied, and then i refresh n see all these posts

Sigh... add me to the rejection pile.

Receiving the bad news yesterday did lead to a funny moment, though. If you watch How I Met Your Mother, you'll appreciate it more, as it's inspired by a Marshall quote. So I came moping into the living room with my freshly opened and digested rejection letter. My roommate asks me what's the matter and I tell him. He immediately shifts facial expression and tone of voice to one of empathy and consolation and gently says, "hey, you wanna take a trip out to Stanford Medical School and just like... I don't know... just pee on it a little bit?"

Needless to say, I shant be peeing on Stanford Medical School, but it is nice to know roomie's got my back. :)

Their campus is gigantic. In case you do choose to pee on it, you'll find plenty of spots:D.

Still, not the best idea in the world.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sigh... add me to the rejection pile.

Receiving the bad news yesterday did lead to a funny moment, though. If you watch How I Met Your Mother, you'll appreciate it more, as it's inspired by a Marshall quote. So I came moping into the living room with my freshly opened and digested rejection letter. My roommate asks me what's the matter and I tell him. He immediately shifts facial expression and tone of voice to one of empathy and consolation and gently says, "hey, you wanna take a trip out to Stanford Medical School and just like... I don't know... just pee on it a little bit?"

Needless to say, I shant be peeing on Stanford Medical School, but it is nice to know roomie's got my back. :)

hey there, i'm sorry about the news and i'm sure you'll end up kicking butt at whatever place you decide to train. as for placing to pee, lots of opportunities abound; you can go probably go piss on leland's grave (literally) if you want...just google the stanford maus. :)

as for the waitliters, stanford waitlists NOT everyone....people on waitlist are actually tiered.....into some high/med/low (at least a few years ago when i was an sms student and interviewing students)---probably best to search this in the archives for more info. usually the committee then pulls admissions from the waitlist (until july/aug...one of my classmates literally was offered a spot 2 days before our outdoor orientation!) or offers this strange but cool option: where you are guaranteed a spot in NEXT years class. student interviewers don't actually sit on the comittee meetings but just write their evals from interviews so i don't know what goes behind those doors.

good luck everyone and i hope you guys give stanford a shot. it's sound ridiculous but i actually had almost as much as college....which you take away meaning i had a really crappy college life or that med school at stanford was pretty fun. i think it's the latter but then again you never know! it is enough love though, that as i look at the residency forums, i'm still drawn back to the pre-allo forums to try to lend a perspective on my alma mater :)

...or offers this strange but cool option: where you are guaranteed a spot in NEXT years class. ...

I think they stopped doing this, because I think I heard that they didn't do it last year. (None of the 2009 entering class spots are taken by ppl who were offered this option last year. There are probably still a handful of students who chose to defer, though)

As Shakespeare once put it:

"Soft you; a word or two before you go.
I have done Stanford some service, and they know't.
No more of that. I pray you, in your letters,
When you shall these unlucky apps relate,
Speak of me as I am; nothing extenuate,
Nor set down aught in malice: then must you speak
Of one that applied not wisely but too well;
Of one not easily rejected, but being wrought
Perplex'd in the extreme; of one whose hand,
Like the base Indian, threw a pearl away
Richer than all his tribe; of one whose baggy eyes,
Albeit unused to the melting mood,
Drop tears as fast as the Cardinal trees
Their medicinal gum. Set you down this;
And say besides, that in Palo Alto once,
Where a malignant and a turban'd interviewer
Beat an applicant and traduced his cause,
I took by the throat the circumcised adcom,
And they smote me, thus."

(WL 1/9)

(WL 1/9)

I am in awe. :eek:

(WL 1/9)

HAHAHAA who knew Othello could be related to Stanford Med

F:eek:ur times:confused: what 1. in High school, 2. to transfer in undergrad, 3. for graduate school and 4. for med school? or just four times for Med school? Either way you have gotten into some great schools, congrats on UCLA.

1. in high school, 2. to transfer in undergrad 3. to transfer in undergrad 4. for med school

my luck :(

hey there, i'm sorry about the news and i'm sure you'll end up kicking butt at whatever place you decide to train. as for placing to pee, lots of opportunities abound; you can go probably go piss on leland's grave (literally) if you want...just google the stanford maus. :)

You all have been very gracious in your guidance of the vengeful showers, if you will. Actually, everyone I have talked to from SMS or accepted into SMS 2013 has been very cool and, undoubtedly, well-deserving of their position there. No hard feelings, Stanford.

I'm just happy to be going to medical school. :)

Now, were I coming off my fourth rejection from Stanford, I might be paying those pretty fountains at the entrance a visit. :p

how do you know if your rejected from stanford? If I haven't gotten an invite, is it a rejection by this point?

Last edited:
i too am a stanford reject :) funnily enough, the letter came the same day as my baylor acceptance, so i wasn't too beaten up about it. at least they had the courtesy to officially reject me unlike some other places, who just never offered me a secondary and the deadline has passed...

how do you know if your rejected from stanford? If I haven't gotten an invite yet, its a rejection by this point?

i got the letter in the mail just today, and i was complete end of september. seems like a bunch of letters just went out so if you don't get a letter in the next few days, you may still have hope :)

how do you know if your rejected from stanford? If I haven't gotten an invite, is it a rejection by this point?

rejection is by way of the small white envelope. if you haven't been rejected, you still have a shot. good luck :thumbup:

Haven't received a rejection yet, but I am pretty sure it's coming within a week. Same thing happened last year; I got my rejection letter about a week after everyone else seemed to get theirs (even after my roommate, though we had the same address...how odd). Sigh...even if the outcome is almost certain, I'd still like closure...

Haven't received a rejection yet, but I am pretty sure it's coming within a week. Same thing happened last year; I got my rejection letter about a week after everyone else seemed to get theirs. Sigh...even if the outcome is almost certain, I'd still like closure...

most likely me as well. I'm from New York, so it will probably take longer for me to receive the letter.

Best of luck to all and I hope this process has been rewarding.

But heres to praying :xf:

I think they stopped doing this, because I think I heard that they didn't do it last year. (None of the 2009 entering class spots are taken by ppl who were offered this option last year. There are probably still a handful of students who chose to defer, though)

Actually, I have a friend who entered the 2008-entering class (this way). I don't know what that means about the future, but Stanford will probably continue doing that considering its a small school.

Actually, I have a friend who entered the 2008-entering class (this way). I don't know what that means about the future, but Stanford will probably continue doing that considering its a small school.

Right, I also personally know a person who entered the 2008-entering class this way.

What I meant say was that nobody who applied last year was offered a forced-deferred spot in the 2009-entering class this way. I think I heard this from silverlining1, who applied last year, was on the waitlist, and asked the ppl in the admissions office whether or not they were still doing this. And they told her that they weren't doing it for her application year.

Silverlining1, did I make that up or did you really tell me that? Fuzzy memory...

Right, I also personally know a person who entered the 2008-entering class this way.

What I meant say was that nobody who applied last year was offered a forced-deferred spot in the 2009-entering class this way. I think I heard this from silverlining1, who applied last year, was on the waitlist, and asked the ppl in the admissions office whether or not they were still doing this. And they told her that they weren't doing it for her application year.

Silverlining1, did I make that up or did you really tell me that? Fuzzy memory...
You're correct. The forced deferral was only the year before me (accepted 2007 but entered 2008); I believe that there had been an issue with overaccepting/overly high yield the year before that. Jonnie Perez told me that this wasn't something they were going to do again, so last year I just ended up on the waitlist.

Anyone else still in limbo pre-interview? WHERE IS MY REJECTION LETTER? :scared:

Not that I want one :oops:

For those of you who have been waitlisted and are intending to write a LOI, do you email it or snailmail (or both??)? Also, do you send it to the Dean of Admissions or the Office of Admissions? (Or email the Dean directly and c/c the Office of Admissions on the email? Or address the letter to the Dean but send it c/o the Admissions Office?)

lol, sorry for all the questions!

Hi guys, I have a few question about the course requirements posted on the admissions website:

http://med.stanford.edu/md/admissions/preparation.html

For the required subjects, it mentions that appropriate lab work must be included. I was wondering if that means that every course I take in each of those subject MUST have an accompanying lab component. Of the courses I've taken, some had labs but not all of them had accompanying labs, especially course from my engineering program.

I was wondering if anyone can provide some insights to how to meet the academic requirements. I'm in a lot of confusion in trying to choose my last year of courses in order to fulfill these requirements.

Thanks!

Hi guys, I have a few question about the course requirements posted on the admissions website:

For the required subjects, it mentions that appropriate lab work must be included. I was wondering if that means that every course I take in each of those subject MUST have an accompanying lab component. Of the courses I've taken, some had labs but not all of them had accompanying labs, especially course from my engineering program.

I was wondering if anyone can provide some insights to how to meet the academic requirements. I'm in a lot of confusion in trying to choose my last year of courses in order to fulfill these requirements.

Thanks!
All 8 of the classes you take to fulfill the minimum requirements of science prerequisites must have labs. This is standard for all med schools.

All 8 of the classes you take to fulfill the minimum requirements of science prerequisites must have labs. This is standard for all med schools.

Thanks, do you know if the schools let you defer a year if for some reason you are unable to meet the requirements by the time you matriculate?

Thanks, do you know if the schools let you defer a year if for some reason you are unable to meet the requirements by the time you matriculate?
I don't know, but there are so many qualified people interested in those spots that I wouldn't chance it. You could take the classes this summer or next year as you apply or the summer before you enter medical school. Also, some schools will give you last minute pre-req waivers post-acceptance, but seriously, it's not a risk worth taking.

Thanks!

I think it depends on the school you go to and if it's a quarter or semester school. I think most semester schools the labs are associated with the course; however, at my school, our physics lab and physics courses are separate for engineers and so are the chemistry courses and their respective labs, so it becomes a bit tricky. You should call or e-mail the admissions office to make sure.

So this is the first day of February, and I have yet to hear from SMS with regards to my MD application. Do you think that if there is any chance of being offered an interview invitation?

So this is the first day of February, and I have yet to hear from SMS with regards to my MD application. Do you think that if there is any chance of being offered an interview invitation?

My friend just got an interview invite today, so you may still get one!

Aha...I came home from work just now to find a thin envelope with the big Stanford symbol on it and thought, "Well, here's my rejection finally, a couple weeks after everyone else, just like last year (I'm a re-applicant)" and then I realized that it was a letter addressed to my sister, who's an undergrad there :p

I guess I live to see another day! :laugh:

Aha...I came home from work just now to find a thin envelope with the big Stanford symbol on it and thought, "Well, here's my rejection finally, a couple weeks after everyone else, just like last year (I'm a re-applicant)" and then I realized that it was a letter addressed to my sister, who's an undergrad there :p

I guess I live to see another day! :laugh:

Harsh, they rejected your sister and she hasn't even yet applied ;)

Do the invites come through regular mail or e-mail/phone?

Do the invites come through regular mail or e-mail/phone?

Interview invites are sent by both email and regular mail, so you'll most likely get the email first and then receive the letter several days later at your AMCAS preferred address.

Wow! I am really glad that we finally put all these threads into a separate subforum. I guess all those requests eventually paid off. Thanks to whoever did this (anyone knows?).

i am also in limbo for stanford...

i turned in my secondary on the due date, so this might just mean they haven't read through the pile yet.

i haven't heard a word since complete in late august :(

No word is better than rejection! Good luck guys.

No word is better than rejection! Good luck guys.

Eh...if I had been rejected as part of that large batch that went out a couple weeks ago, I'd have shrugged it off as inevitable...but now that several weeks have gone by, I'm getting more and more anxious even though my chances are still ridiculously slim! :oops:

Dang, Stanford just enjoys putting me on waitlists and holds. Even as an undergrad, I got deferred from Early Decision, then ultimately waitlisted. It's the story of my life with Stanford :p

Oh well, I'll just assume I got rejected. Goodbye, thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.