-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2008-2009 SUNY Downstate Secondary Application Thread
Started by ar2388
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
dont stress too much. my interview at least was vbery chill, if short.. 🙂 congrats!
Thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone heard from downstate yet?
I'm fairly certain that the first decisions won't be going out until the first week of November... Hang in there.
hey thank you for the replies. but i really dont understand how you justify that the hospital gives "good clinical experience"?? i mean if you take any urban hospital (or for that matter any accredited school), they all have diverse patients/diseases. but being right in the ghetto tells me that the hospital is probably poor and there are probably more people with aids or similar sad cases.
also i do like williamsburgh. i mean it's not too bad. but do most students live there and hang out there, or do they live in the ghetto?
and is there anything special about the school curriculum?
also i do like williamsburgh. i mean it's not too bad. but do most students live there and hang out there, or do they live in the ghetto?
and is there anything special about the school curriculum?
Thought I was done for when I got a really thin envelope in the mail from downstate. Turns out it was like a three week old letter saying they don't have my LORs (which they do now).
hey thank you for the replies. but i really dont understand how you justify that the hospital gives "good clinical experience"?? i mean if you take any urban hospital (or for that matter any accredited school), they all have diverse patients/diseases. but being right in the ghetto tells me that the hospital is probably poor and there are probably more people with aids or similar sad cases.
also i do like williamsburgh. i mean it's not too bad. but do most students live there and hang out there, or do they live in the ghetto?
and is there anything special about the school curriculum?
Med students that rotate through ghetto hospitals usually see more and definitely get to do more (poor people dont care who renders free medical care, wealthy people do because they pay for it).
60% of first yrs live in the dorms across the street from the school, the rest live off a ways in some neighborhood whose name I cannot recall.
hey thank you for the replies. but i really dont understand how you justify that the hospital gives "good clinical experience"?? i mean if you take any urban hospital (or for that matter any accredited school), they all have diverse patients/diseases. but being right in the ghetto tells me that the hospital is probably poor and there are probably more people with aids or similar sad cases.
also i do like williamsburgh. i mean it's not too bad. but do most students live there and hang out there, or do they live in the ghetto?
and is there anything special about the school curriculum?
i think you're using the term 'ghetto' without really understanding what a 'ghetto' is, because downstate definitely isnt in the 'ghetto.'
hey thank you for the replies. but i really dont understand how you justify that the hospital gives "good clinical experience"?? i mean if you take any urban hospital (or for that matter any accredited school), they all have diverse patients/diseases. but being right in the ghetto tells me that the hospital is probably poor and there are probably more people with aids or similar sad cases.
also i do like williamsburgh. i mean it's not too bad. but do most students live there and hang out there, or do they live in the ghetto?
and is there anything special about the school curriculum?
economically disadvantaged population->significant pathology
as one student put it, "you see stuff you only see in text books".
also, as other students have put it, they are given significant responsibilities during their clinical rotations. thus, they feel experienced and prepared going into their intern years.... invaluable if you ask me.
To those who already received acceptances to Downstate...
Is your acceptance status denoted on Downstate's online checklist?
Thanks! Waiting on Downstate so anxiously. It is my top choice!
nope
nope
darn... i was looking forward to hearing from this school too. congrats ar2388 😀
thank you 🙂darn... i was looking forward to hearing from this school too. congrats ar2388 😀
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thank you 🙂
congrats ar2388. when did you interview?
9/11congrats ar2388. When did you interview?
hey thank you for the replies. but i really dont understand how you justify that the hospital gives "good clinical experience"?? i mean if you take any urban hospital (or for that matter any accredited school), they all have diverse patients/diseases. but being right in the ghetto tells me that the hospital is probably poor and there are probably more people with aids or similar sad cases.
also i do like williamsburgh. i mean it's not too bad. but do most students live there and hang out there, or do they live in the ghetto?
and is there anything special about the school curriculum?
Med students that rotate through ghetto hospitals usually see more and definitely get to do more (poor people dont care who renders free medical care, wealthy people do because they pay for it).
60% of first yrs live in the dorms across the street from the school, the rest live off a ways in some neighborhood whose name I cannot recall.
These posts are so embarrassing and naive that its disgusting.
These posts are so embarrassing and naive that its disgusting.
I concur.
does anyone who received an interview invitation have a working link to the travel directions? the URL in my email invite didn't work.
thanks
thanks
does anyone who received an interview invitation have a working link to the travel directions? the URL in my email invite didn't work.
thanks
never worked for me either, i just google mapped the school and used those directions
dittonever worked for me either, i just google mapped the school and used those directions
This is my first interview and I'm trying to get a feel of how everyone is prepping/prepped for the interview? I've checked out Interview feedback but it doesnt really calm my nerves!!! Any other 11/5 people? Congrats to all those that already got accepted!!!
This is my first interview and I'm trying to get a feel of how everyone is prepping/prepped for the interview? I've checked out Interview feedback but it doesnt really calm my nerves!!! Any other 11/5 people? Congrats to all those that already got accepted!!!
This is going to be my first interview as well, but mine is 10/30, so I only have 8 days to go. I'm pretty nervous, reading over interview feedback and trying to do a mock interview of some sort before next week. From what I've read so far however, most people are saying the interview was fairly relaxed.
Okay so I got a letter from downstate saying that they want me to send them my Fall 08 semester grades once I am finished.
Does this mean assuming I do well that I'll get at least an interview invite? Do they string people along and give them a reject after this request even with a 4.0?
A big part of my app is showing an upward trend, so I was planning on sending fall semester grades anyway if I wasn't already rejected. Do they just send this to everyone they haven't decided on?
Does this mean assuming I do well that I'll get at least an interview invite? Do they string people along and give them a reject after this request even with a 4.0?
A big part of my app is showing an upward trend, so I was planning on sending fall semester grades anyway if I wasn't already rejected. Do they just send this to everyone they haven't decided on?
Last edited:
Well, I am sure now that we're not special, because I was trying to figure out what this means.
I got the same letter asking for fall '08 grades.
MY question is: Until when do they interview? i WON'T get my grades until the end of december? When are the last interviews at SUNY?
I got the same letter asking for fall '08 grades.
MY question is: Until when do they interview? i WON'T get my grades until the end of december? When are the last interviews at SUNY?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i got that letter as well. i think downstate just sends the letter to everyone who was invited for an interview regardless of whether or not they'll accept you.
i got that letter as well. i think downstate just sends the letter to everyone who was invited for an interview regardless of whether or not they'll accept you.
I wasn't invited for an interview unfortionately, and I still got it.
I got that letter as well...and I got an interview invite less than a week later. And I just got my acceptance letter today!!!
So no, you don't have to wait until your fall semester grades have come out before interviewing. The acceptance letter says something like your acceptance is conditional on getting at least a C in every class, so maybe they just want to make sure you're not failing your classes this term.
So no, you don't have to wait until your fall semester grades have come out before interviewing. The acceptance letter says something like your acceptance is conditional on getting at least a C in every class, so maybe they just want to make sure you're not failing your classes this term.
Thanks! I interviewed on 9/17. I'm guessing you'll probably hear by next week. GL!!!
I got that letter as well...and I got an interview invite less than a week later. And I just got my acceptance letter today!!!
So no, you don't have to wait until your fall semester grades have come out before interviewing. The acceptance letter says something like your acceptance is conditional on getting at least a C in every class, so maybe they just want to make sure you're not failing your classes this term.
hmmm...I got an interview invite w/o getting that letter. I hope this is not a big deal or anything.
Thanks! I interviewed on 9/17. I'm guessing you'll probably hear by next week. GL!!!
Hey did you get your acceptance via email or snail mail? I just want to make sure I'm compulsively checking the right one. 🙂
I interviewed on 9/15 and haven't heard anything yet. When I called today they just said "sir, we we will notify you via mail when a decision has been made." Do you have any idea why that would be? Are they doing IS students first, or what?
acceptance via snail mail..
I interviewed on 9/15 and haven't heard anything yet. When I called today they just said "sir, we we will notify you via mail when a decision has been made." Do you have any idea why that would be? Are they doing IS students first, or what?
I interviewed on 9/16. Ms. Levine told me that a decision had been made for me, but the rule is that she can't tell me over the phone (I understand that she doesn't want ppl calling her all the time). so i have to wait for something in the mail.
hmmm...I got an interview invite w/o getting that letter. I hope this is not a big deal or anything.
Well my letter specifically says "Your application is being placed on "Hold" until the information is received". Did yours have that?
hey thank you for the replies. but i really dont understand how you justify that the hospital gives "good clinical experience"?? i mean if you take any urban hospital (or for that matter any accredited school), they all have diverse patients/diseases. but being right in the ghetto tells me that the hospital is probably poor and there are probably more people with aids or similar sad cases.
also i do like williamsburgh. i mean it's not too bad. but do most students live there and hang out there, or do they live in the ghetto?
and is there anything special about the school curriculum?
Reading this just affirmed that fact that some people do not know what a city is and should never step foot in one. Please, don't come to Brooklyn for I can assure the "ghetto" and "non-ghetto" people alike would not want you there. By the way, this is how Williamsburg is spelled. From your description of Brooklyn, or what you think Brooklyn is, you would not fit in or be of great value to any community there, let alone the med school. If you don't know what good clinical experience entails, you should really rethink this profession.
LOL wow this is quite funny. I was born and raised in nyc, and have bounced around the 5 boroughs my whole life so I love hearing misconceptions about it. although downstate is not in the best of areas of new york, (and i can attest to that), nothing beats hearing people shyt on it when they have no idea about it.
Priceless.
Priceless.
okay so downstate says they haven't received my MCATs application??! i dont see how they didnt get it as they are the ones who emailed me with the secondary info... i emailed them (twice) and called them and they said to wait longer? i submitted my app in september! what should i do?
Well my letter specifically says "Your application is being placed on "Hold" until the information is received". Did yours have that?
no, all I got was an interview invite via email with a specific time and date. It didn't ask for grades or anything.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
thats a good thing.. lol relax!!no, all I got was an interview invite via email with a specific time and date. It didn't ask for grades or anything.
Have you heard yet? I haven't.
I interviewed on 9/16. Ms. Levine told me that a decision had been made for me, but the rule is that she can't tell me over the phone (I understand that she doesn't want ppl calling her all the time). so i have to wait for something in the mail.
Have you heard yet? I haven't.
no as of yesterday.
no as of yesterday.
I am in the same situation as you guys. I would predict we hear before next Monday since their adcom meets weekly and they do not do silent rejections/ waitlists.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.