2008-2009 Tulane Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does "acceptance range" = wait-list? I think I recall them saying something about this at my interview but I don't remember.

If so, then Mr. Sauve, you probably won't hear until around May 15th, which is when people holding multiple spots have to make up their minds. That is when most wait-list movement occurs, although I've heard of people being accepted from WL before that date... but that's pretty rare.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed 1/16 and got the acceptance letter on 1/27 (although the letter was dated 1/22)! I guess sometimes they have a very quick turn around!

Just found out 2 days ago that Tulane never got my LORs

;LKAJDSLKFJADSLFKJADSLKFJLDSAKFJ ahhhhhhhh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 1/16 and got the acceptance letter on 1/27 (although the letter was dated 1/22)! I guess sometimes they have a very quick turn around!

I interviewed that day too! Maybe I will call today... I wonder if they decided on everyone from that day en bloc.

I haven't been home for the past three days so there could conceivably be a letter waiting.

Oh my gosh. surge of adrenaline.

And in said surge of adrenaline I completely forgot my manners and didn't congratulate you! So (belated) congrats! Do you think it's your top choice?

Just found out 2 days ago that Tulane never got my LORs

;LKAJDSLKFJADSLFKJADSLKFJLDSAKFJ ahhhhhhhh.

I was in the exact same boat as you! I sent them an email months ago to confirm that the had my letters and they never replied. I send them an email week before last and they tell me that they only had one letter on file for me, which I though was crazy because it was sent as a letter packet! I informed them of this and they checked the letters again and realized that they in fact did have all of my letters.... So now my file is complete when it should have been complete months ago.

I've heard that their admissions office (not the dean, etc, but the logistical person) is strictly a one-woman show, and while they're taking steps to change that, for the time being the admissions process has been somewhat disorganized for a lot of people. Not trying to minimize the situation (I applied really late to one of my in-state schools for very similar reasons, and have heard no word from them since, so I know how you feel), just wanted to give you an explanation why this process is sort of sucking for many people.

So I had to change my interview for personal reasons and get it pushed back to late feb, hopefully this wont affect my chances any.

Im starting to wonder why I even got an interview in the first place, perhaps it was because I sent an update letter in October(i know they are slow to process).

Of those of you who have been corresponding with tulane, have you gotten invites as well? And have you been sending directly to admissions office or the dean, or this "father don" guy?

So I had to change my interview for personal reasons and get it pushed back to late feb, hopefully this wont affect my chances any.

Im starting to wonder why I even got an interview in the first place, perhaps it was because I sent an update letter in October(i know they are slow to process).

Of those of you who have been corresponding with tulane, have you gotten invites as well? And have you been sending directly to admissions office or the dean, or this "father don" guy?

During my interview, Dr. Beckman said that she looks at each application and selects people who she thinks have something special. It definitely isn't a purely numbers-driven process. So, I don't know why you got an interview either, but the fact is you did! Be HAPPY!!! That means someone thinks you have something to offer.

I didn't correspond with Tulane before my interview invitation, but I did send a LOI/update letter to Dr. Beckman. I think she's the person you'd want to direct correspondence to.

wow, that sucks. what are you going to do now?

I asked my professors to email them. I don't know if they will still consider me, though, because it was a few days after the LOR deadline. WHen I called, the lady basically said "we don't have all your letters" and click, hung up. I didn't even get the chance to ask if it would be okay for them to send them in now. I've been afraid to call back but I'm going to on Monday..

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got an interview invite, complete mid-October. But the email is weird- it almost looks like a forward, so I'm wondering if they emailed me before and I never got it?? Does anyone know if its easy to reschedule?

I just got an interview invite, complete mid-October. But the email is weird- it almost looks like a forward, so I'm wondering if they emailed me before and I never got it?? Does anyone know if its easy to reschedule?
Wow...I hope I get one too. Are you instate ?. And when is the interview for ?.

I just got an interview invite 5 min ago....AWESOMENESS.....

I just got an interview invite, and I don't really know what to do...

You should definitely go, especially if you have no acceptances yet. If you do, and finances/logistics are really a problem, then I guess you could not do it, but I really think people should go to as many interviews as possible. It broadens your perspective, and you may end up liking places that you never thought you would. (I was completely not excited about Rochester until my interview and I LOVED it!)

FYI their last interview day is Feb. 20th and they only interview M/F.

I withdrew my application via email in November and they just rejected me last week- odd! Good luck you guys

Woohoo for more interviews!!!! I'm glad I can share the excitement with people!!!

And I would suggest to everyone that you go. The first time I went down to NOLA/Tulane I absolutely fell in love and am SOOOOO excited to go back down for my interview (although yes, I am a little nervous too).

Anyways...congratulations!!!

I just got an interview invite, and I don't really know what to do...

Hey violet :)

I got into Tulane back in December. It is one of the more expensive schools. I dont know how much of a factor that is for you but if it is, then I would not go. Especially since you have several other schools that you have been accepted to that are much less expensive. I really liked the school though...The people and the school are very different than the people and schools up in the North East.

FYI their last interview day is Feb. 20th and they only interview M/F.

Really? Is this posted on the website somewhere or is this something they tell interviewees?

I was hoping to hear back from them soon, but now I'm even more anxious if Feb 20th is their last interview date. That's ...right around the corner. :eek:

ADD: this is from their website

"INTERVIEW INVITATIONS: MAILED AUGUST 15 THROUGH FEBRUARY 15
INTERVIEWS, BY INVITATION ONLY, WEEKDAYS, EXCEPT TUESDAY: SEPTEMBER THROUGH MARCH

While our interview invitations are date-specific we will work with applicants to attempt to accommodate their schedules."

http://tulane.edu/som/admissions/deadlines.cfm

Really? Is this posted on the website somewhere or is this something they tell interviewees?

I was hoping to hear back from them soon, but now I'm even more anxious if Feb 20th is their last interview date. That's ...right around the corner. :eek:

ADD: this is from their website

"INTERVIEW INVITATIONS: MAILED AUGUST 15 THROUGH FEBRUARY 15
INTERVIEWS, BY INVITATION ONLY, WEEKDAYS, EXCEPT TUESDAY: SEPTEMBER THROUGH MARCH

While our interview invitations are date-specific we will work with applicants to attempt to accommodate their schedules."​

This is what Ms. Vargas told me when I called to reschedule.

go to it! :) just kidding. are you considering not going?

I thought about it, and I probably won't go...Tulane tuition is like $ 47K?...expensive. plus a few other factors...i have a few acceptances already, I ran out of money to go to interviews :oops:, and my research professor is going to kill me if I tell him I'll be taking days off again :rolleyes:. I'd really like to visit New Orleans, I've never been there...but I have to make priorities at this point. I actually have about 4 other interviews scheduled...which I probably will have to cancel. I wish I could go to all of them, I really like to travel and meet new people :) med school interview season turned out to be a lot more fun than I expected! :p

Hey violet :)

I got into Tulane back in December. It is one of the more expensive schools. I dont know how much of a factor that is for you but if it is, then I would not go. Especially since you have several other schools that you have been accepted to that are much less expensive. I really liked the school though...The people and the school are very different than the people and schools up in the North East.

Heyyy :)

Thanks for your opinion :) I decided not to go... You are right, the school is expensive, and I'm not sure if New Orleans would be an ideal place for me to spend the next 4 years...plus some other factors (see my post above).
Have you decided to go to your Einstein interview? If I were you, I'd probably go...I mean Bronx is not the best part of NY, but the area around school is OK (safe), housing is affordable (although I insist that apartments are small and in need of renovation), med school facilities are nice (I liked the 1st year lecture hall, 2nd year was OK too), students are friendly, and cafeteria food is good. The only thing I didn't like about the school was that they don't seem to be very technology oriented. None of the 1st year students were using laptops (just paper printouts with slides), and in the 2nd year lecture hall there're no electric outlets (I was desperately trying to find one to charge my laptop). Oh, and anatomy lab is nice, big bright sunny room with windows (simular to one at Buffalo). I really hate anatomy labs in basements, I personally find them scary and depressing :)

anybody know what day the admissions committee meets?

Tuesdays it is. For those of you who are interested, you can call admissions for your application status, but only on Tuesdays and Thursdays 10-2 Central Time.

Does anyone happen to know if the student and faculty interviews are given the same weight? I seem to remember my host saying the student interview was more important, but that may just be my wishful thinking...

Best of luck to those with upcoming interviews! (and if you've never been to NOLA before, be sure to try a beignet or three)

Last edited:
Does anyone happen to know if the student and faculty interviews are given the same weight? I seem to remember my host saying the student interview was more important, but that may just be my wishful thinking...

They are weighted equally, but if the student interviewer really doesn't like you, apparently that can be vey detrimental. (This is what my student host said)

Actually, I think my student interview was the better of the two. The faculty one was fine, but I felt much stronger coming out of the lunch, which was weird because he asked me some tough questions. I'm one of those people who loves ethical questions, and I never get as many as I'd like, so when this guy really let me have it I had a great time :)

Does Tulane send us a complete application email? and is there any way you can check ur status online? I tried calling them but can't get hold of anyone.

Does Tulane send us a complete application email? and is there any way you can check ur status online? I tried calling them but can't get hold of anyone.
I emailed them to see if I was complete, and they responded about a week later.

anyone who interviewed 2 weeks ago call to find out yet?

Heyyy :)

Thanks for your opinion :) I decided not to go... You are right, the school is expensive, and I'm not sure if New Orleans would be an ideal place for me to spend the next 4 years...plus some other factors (see my post above).
Have you decided to go to your Einstein interview? If I were you, I'd probably go...I mean Bronx is not the best part of NY, but the area around school is OK (safe), housing is affordable (although I insist that apartments are small and in need of renovation), med school facilities are nice (I liked the 1st year lecture hall, 2nd year was OK too), students are friendly, and cafeteria food is good. The only thing I didn't like about the school was that they don't seem to be very technology oriented. None of the 1st year students were using laptops (just paper printouts with slides), and in the 2nd year lecture hall there're no electric outlets (I was desperately trying to find one to charge my laptop). Oh, and anatomy lab is nice, big bright sunny room with windows (simular to one at Buffalo). I really hate anatomy labs in basements, I personally find them scary and depressing :)

Yeah....I dont know if I am will go to the einstein interview. Everyone that I have talked to really loves 1st and 2nd year...but they hate 3rd and 4th year at Einstein.

Right now I am pretty sure I will end up going to Tulane, USC or OHSU...My decision will be determined by whether I get financial aid from one of the schools (I doubt it)

I decided to apply to Tulane at the last minute (maybe even AFTER the last minute since I'm not totally sure that my letters came through Interfolio until after the Jan 15th deadline), but I thought it would be wiser to let Tulane make the call to reject me or not rather than rejecting myself.

I thought I could at least hope for a miracle. I only applied to one other school, Tulane seems really great.

anyone who interviewed 2 weeks ago call to find out yet?

I interviewed exactly three weeks ago, and I called yesterday -- no decision yet. I know that at least one person from my interview date was accepted (one week later), so I'm not sure what this means. Does anyone know if there is any rhyme or reason as to when applicants are evaluated?

If you really want to go to Tulane, I'd send them an update letter/letter of interest. It seems they really appreciate student interest. Send it to Dr. Beckman. Besides, it can't hurt. At worst, it takes up a little bit of your time.

Yeah....I dont know if I am will go to the einstein interview. Everyone that I have talked to really loves 1st and 2nd year...but they hate 3rd and 4th year at Einstein.

Right now I am pretty sure I will end up going to Tulane, USC or OHSU...My decision will be determined by whether I get financial aid from one of the schools (I doubt it)

So what happens if you don't get financial aid that you want? Where will you go then? I'm pretty much torn between Boston and Philly...well, and there's also Buffalo :) plus some other acceptances, but I'm even less interested in those. And I'm still waiting to hear from like 3 schools...

So what happens if you don't get financial aid that you want? Where will you go then? I'm pretty much torn between Boston and Philly...well, and there's also Buffalo :) plus some other acceptances, but I'm even less interested in those. And I'm still waiting to hear from like 3 schools...

If I get no financial aid then I really do not see the difference between
57,000 x4yrs = 228,000 for an OHSU or Einstein
and like
70,000 x4yrs = 280,000 at a Tulane or USC.

Because ~$50,000 is not that much when you are making around 175,000+ each year...It is essentially a few months extra work.

If this is the case I will probably go to USC because I loved the school and the hospital that the students learn at...Not to mention the hot weather, its on the West coast, and it is less than an hour to the Beach!

Did anyone else receive their CBC request this morning?

I should have been more specific. I received my CBC request this morning and Tulane is the only school I hold an acceptance to with 3 other waitlists.

I should have been more specific. I received my CBC request this morning and Tulane is the only school I hold an acceptance to with 3 other waitlists.

Didn't the Tulane cbc go out pre-acceptance?

I got one this morning as well. Its definitely from Tulane, too, because I had one acceptance with CBC a few weeks before my Tulane acceptance and then my other acceptance with CBC already sent me a letter verifying my acceptance since I'm not a criminal.

is there 2nd look wknd at tulane?

Yo,

My interview with Tulane is on Monday. Anyone got and advice on how to approach it? I read that it is (1) committee member and a student "working lunch." How does the interview day go down? Is there anything they ask that isn't the standard, "Why do you want to be a doctor?" Thanks!

Yo,

My interview with Tulane is on Monday. Anyone got and advice on how to approach it? I read that it is (1) committee member and a student "working lunch." How does the interview day go down? Is there anything they ask that isn't the standard, "Why do you want to be a doctor?" Thanks!

People have had mixed feelings about the student working lunch. Personally, I really enjoyed it because we got into a fun discussion about healthcare reform, but other folks have had less positive experiences. Just be sure to take that one seriously -- apparently there are some people who think it's just a formality, but it really does count. Relax, be yourself, but don't be unprofessional just because it's with a student (i.e. don't swear or burp or talk about how drunk you were last night -- hopefully this is obvious to you!).

Other than that, I don't have any tips about Tulane in particular. The questions I was asked (esp. by my faculty interviewer) were completely standard, no surprises there. Tulane seems to be really into underserved medicine, so IF you are interested in that and can talk about it without sounding insincere, play it up. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

a lot about why tulane, espesh with the student interview. know sites in the city you want to see of you have never been to new orleans... probli memorize a list of 15 restaurants/museums/streets/jazz clubs to visit, that'd be impressive. my faculty interviewer asked me only one question, "what can i tell you about tulane that will make it easier for you to decide come may what medical school you will choose?" then i spent 30 min asking her q's about the school/city. i think my experience was atypical and you usually are asked why medicine, what problems exist with health care today, etc etc. tulane really wants ppl who can contribute to the school and want to go. hope that helps!!

ohhh but i heard if you have father don he asks you 1) ur mcat 2) ur gpa 3) why tulane and not much else. that said he is supposedly a fascinating guy and super easy to talk to. so i guess it would work out alright. if tulane is ur #1 choice, tell ur interviewer and write a note to dr. beckman that if accepted, you guarantee you will go. ok thats all. GOOD LUCK!!

Status
Not open for further replies.