2008 - 2009 UNC Chapel Hill Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Last year it was a T60 and a tablet... this year I've heard from one of the IT guys that its going to be a T60 and and X series computer.


re: computer - yeah, IBMs...UNC has a link with IBM called the CCI if I remember correctly. You pay more than what you would (prolly 500-1000 bucks) if you bought your own quality laptop, but comes with service and insurance and all the support you need on campus for all 4 years. Plus you don't need to pay the 150 dollar MS licensing fee, so you can buy MS office/vista every year for like 20 bucks, update computers at home, etc. etc.

re: trip - yeah, they do it every year from what I heard.

let's goooooooooooooooooooooooo waitlist movement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh man, I saw this post and got really excited, I had not heard anything about the lake trip. What a great way to meet everyone!

yeah, definitely excited! I think years before last year they did at least a camping trip the weekend before and they just started the lake trip recently. At least last year, the lake trip included a boat, water skiing and tubing so lets keep our fingers crossed...
 
I don't think it's renewable. I think you have to reapply for the financial aid each year... although you may get the 4,000 every year if your's and your parent's financial situations remain unchanged.
 
waitlist movement confirmed

🙂

I got an email from one of my interviewers as they couldn't reach my cell phone.

My hand is shaking as I type this.......OMG.
 
I don't think it's renewable. I think you have to reapply for the financial aid each year... although you may get the 4,000 every year if your's and your parent's financial situations remain unchanged.
well my parents are well off..so i dont think it depends on that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
waitlist movement confirmed

🙂

I got an email from one of my interviewers as they couldn't reach my cell phone.

My hand is shaking as I type this.......OMG.


Congrats!!!!! Hope you replied to the email telling them that shnuffles should get the next seat available😀
 
thanks guys! I'm still jumping up and down!:luck:

Everyone ought to keep their head up and not lose hope. Good times are just around the corner and the sun does eventually shine 🙂 Best of luck to everyone!
 
has anyone else heard?? anyone know whether they will stick to email notifications or primarily phone calls to get folks off the waitlist?

thanks!!
 
no, but I called yesterday to see if they would even go to the waitlist, and they said it was moving slowly, but should hear more news soon.
 
Weird question: anybody else have their financial aid award status changed on the website? I had the standard amounts listed (4k grants/scholarship, various loans) and now when I check it says it's pending. I never got the promised email, so maybe they released the info a little earlier than intended? I remember them saying end of May as the date for the packages.
So yeah, am I the only one with this problem?
:d
 
The same thing happened to me. I checked the website earlier today and it again said things were being processed. I called the financial aid office, the lady asked for my PID, she did something, and then I was able to see the info again -- nothing had changed.
 
yeap they said its just a glitch and its only for select people. so you have to call for them to know they need to fix it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hmm, so how does one log in to see this aid package? I don't think mine is even ready yet...

if i have to use my onyen and pw from years ago, well...hahaha, forgot password link anyone???
 
Bleh. Really? Nothing? Man I expected a flurry of activity after the 16th. Perhaps my worst fears/rants were true and everyone went for the cheap in-state alternative on fears of the declining earnings power of physcians, tight credit, and a dour economy.

I'll empty out my bank account to whoever gives up their spot and calls the front office to ask them to give me the spot. All $251.32 of it.

And I get paid today! Yours if you act now.

FML.

Another year as a lab rat is so depressing.
 
Last edited:
Bleh. Really? Nothing? Man I expected a flurry of activity after the 16th. Perhaps my worst fears/rants were true and everyone went for the cheap in-state alternative on fears of the declining earnings power of physcians, tight credit, and a dour economy.

I'll empty out my bank account to whoever gives up their spot and calls the front office to ask them to give me the spot. All $251.32 of it.

And I get paid today! Yours if you act now.

FML.

Another year as a lab rat is so depressing.

$13,000 tuition + top 20 school + living in Chapel Hill = dream scenario even without the other economic concerns. Expecting a huge amount of movement probably isn't very realistic.

Sorry.
 
$13,000 tuition + top 20 school + living in Chapel Hill = dream scenario even without the other economic concerns. Expecting a huge amount of movement probably isn't very realistic.

Sorry.

Ahh well thank you for that little pessimistic tidbit. Actually, historically between 10 and 15 people get in off the waitlist and infrequenly as many as 20 (or so says my network of moles). With a waitlist of only 35 those are reasonable odds, not unrealistic. Though when I see only 2 people reportedly getting in (we can probably assume its twice that since not everyone is on here) after the May 16th opening of the waitlist season- its disappointing. I'm really worried we're going to hit the low end of that range this year. I like Birdsbeak's comment better though. Maybe hes right and were not going to see a deluge of acceptances, but rather a trickle.

Can someone accepted confirm a notification deadline? I thought it was May 16th, but that must have been FA deadline. There should then be a few weeks while accepted students consider their package.

Keeping the hope alive.
 
Last edited:
I called the admissions office on Wednesday (I'm waitlisted too), and they said that the waitlist has not moved yet but it will soon. I'm not really sure what that means since some people have already got in, but maybe that will offer some hope to us waitlisters.
 
I called the admissions office on Wednesday (I'm waitlisted too), and they said that the waitlist has not moved yet but it will soon. I'm not really sure what that means since some people have already got in, but maybe that will offer some hope to us waitlisters.


That sounds exciting! Trying to keep the positive thoughts going! Good luck to everyone waiting! :luck::luck::luck:
 
I called the admissions office on Wednesday (I'm waitlisted too), and they said that the waitlist has not moved yet but it will soon. I'm not really sure what that means since some people have already got in, but maybe that will offer some hope to us waitlisters.


Yea, that is actually really weird...
I wonder what that means, since we've heard of two people getting in.
😕
 
somehow...

i find it hard to believe there is only 35 people on the waitlist.

Don't most schools have like 100-400 with 50-75 they are really considering???
 
somehow...

i find it hard to believe there is only 35 people on the waitlist.

Don't most schools have like 100-400 with 50-75 they are really considering???


I don't know how many people are on the waitlist, but I do know that 190 people were accepted this year (190 out of 160), and I think it is normally about 220. They simply expect less people to decline the acceptance this year due to the economic downturn and do not want to risk going over the allotted 160 spots. However, this could be a good thing for all waitlisted people -- if the medical school is wrong on their assumption that less people will decline the acceptance this could mean that there will be a lot more movement from the waitlist. So don't give up all hope yet!
 
somehow...

i find it hard to believe there is only 35 people on the waitlist.

Don't most schools have like 100-400 with 50-75 they are really considering???


When I interviewed, they actually told us that they keep the waitlist really small b/c they don't expect much movement, so it could actually be true...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm curious as to know how people know all this stuff! It is a giant mystery to me as to how anyone can confirm anything. I will say this, I intend to sit back and relax. I doubt I can really do anything to change anything now.
 
somehow...

i find it hard to believe there is only 35 people on the waitlist.

Don't most schools have like 100-400 with 50-75 they are really considering???

When the new dean (Dr. Bashford) took over he made a decision to keep the waitlist a realistic length so that you aren't artificially raising the hopes of 100 odd people waitlisted. Yes, a lot of schools waitlist a great deal more than they ever intend to accept, but we can all see where that is pointless. UNC's list is much smaller and represents people who all have a possible chance. I am fairly confident in this number, my source on that is pretty good. I am glad UNC does it this way.
 
I still can't see my financial aid data. Someone from the finaid office told me they were working on it. Anyone else have still have this problem?
 
regarding someone at the office saying there is no movement - not sure why - yes, this is meant to be a forum where the identity of folks could be anonymous, but I did get in off of the list. I posted to keep the hope alive in the others waiting, which is what I hope others would have done for me in such cases.

how much movement? well, it's really a lot of speculation unless you know someone on the inside, but it does move. Keep your hopes alive folks!!!

good luck to all!
 
Hi everyone! I got in off the waitlist as well (received a phone call from my interviewer on Tuesday), so it's definitely moving! Good luck to everybody hoping to get off the waitlist. 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.