2008-2009 University of Tennessee (UTHSC) Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still waiting on my secondary request from this school (if one is coming?)...will they tell me if I have been rejected before the secondary?

I was in the same boat until about three days ago. That's when I got my rejection letter. So, I guess that means they're making decisions at some rate. If you haven't gotten the boot yet, they may still be considering you.

BTW, I was OOS and way under their typical requirements. I wasn't exactly optimistic.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone interviewed with Dr. Mangiante? If so, how was it?

Have any OOS people heard anything after interviewing? I went back in October.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received my 'You are a reject' letter in the mail today. It was dated Dec. 4.

I received my 'You are a reject' letter in the mail today. It was dated Dec. 4.

Sorry about that :(

I really want to get in here. OOS'ers don't have much luck, though.

btw I got the 'we don't want you now but maybe later' letter a while back. hmph

Last edited:
I still haven't even gotten an interview and I am IN-STATE. My application was later more than it was early, but I had my secondary finished in October.

I interviewed last week and Dean Strother said it is still fairly early in their interviewing season. I didn't interview until March last year and they continued to interview until mid-April. He said they were going to try finish interviewing by March. Apparently the number of applications is relatively the same as last year but the number of quality applications is much higher... luck to all!

I've good news if you're still waiting~UT is expanding it's class size for next year by 15 (and tuition by 20%). Good luck!

I really, really liked my interview there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interviewing next week (rescheduled from mid-December). Has anyone interviewed with Dr. Kari?

an MD in general surgery and a PhD in pharmacology. I can PM you their names if you really want to know.

If the general surgeon is Mangiante be prepared for a ton of ethical questions! I work in pharm so I might know the PhD...

If the general surgeon is Mangiante be prepared for a ton of ethical questions! I work in pharm so I might know the PhD...

I think no matter who you interview with, you're going to get at least 2-3 ethical questions.

I'm interviewing next week (rescheduled from mid-December). Has anyone interviewed with Dr. Kari?

I interviewed with Dr. Kari last month. He's a very cool guy, laidback, and really interested in the applicants. Definitely a fun interview.

I think no matter who you interview with, you're going to get at least 2-3 ethical questions.

I think 2-3 is a good amout but I had about 8. I spent 45 minutes of my 1 hour interview talking about ethics... Nothing too difficult just not terribly exciting.

I think 2-3 is a good amout but I had about 8. I spent 45 minutes of my 1 hour interview talking about ethics... Nothing too difficult just not terribly exciting.

Wow that is a lot.

Did anyone happen to interview with Dr. Presbury?

Did anyone happen to interview with Dr. Presbury?

I did, last year. I had heard a number of bad things about him before my interview but I thought it was pretty standard questions~why medicine, couple of ethical questions, etc. One of my friends almost cried during her interview but she was accepted and I was waitlisted so who knows...

I did, last year. I had heard a number of bad things about him before my interview but I thought it was pretty standard questions~why medicine, couple of ethical questions, etc. One of my friends almost cried during her interview but she was accepted and I was waitlisted so who knows...

Interesting...I interviewed last month, and got a call from the dean of admissions today saying they'd like me to come back in Monday for another interview with Dr. Presbury and the dean, specifically about my research. I'm not sure whether that is good or bad. I didn't get a rejection or waitlist letter yet, so I guess it's not as bad as it *could* be, hehe.

Interesting...I interviewed last month, and got a call from the dean of admissions today saying they'd like me to come back in Monday for another interview with Dr. Presbury and the dean, specifically about my research. I'm not sure whether that is good or bad. I didn't get a rejection or waitlist letter yet, so I guess it's not as bad as it *could* be, hehe.

hopefully that's a good thing! he didn't seem too interested in my research but it's basic science so maybe yours is more interesting... he didn't seem like he was too tough of an interviewer (he is in peds) so hopefully you'll be fine! good luck!

With every passing day and no interview invite, I see my chances of attending UT dwindling. I suppose the good news is that I still haven't received a reject letter from them yet, either.

With every passing day and no interview invite, I see my chances of attending UT dwindling. I suppose the good news is that I still haven't received a reject letter from them yet, either.

Don't stress out just yet! I know abot 5 people in their current M1 class who were interviewed in March-April that were accepted (not off the waitlist). They're also expanding this years class by 15 spots, so that makes your chances even better :)

it does seem like they're taking things very slow and waiting later for interviews.

Hrmm, I don't know. They've been interviewing 4 times a week since mid-October, but I have no idea how many people they're interviewing each day. There were about 8 at mine.

Thanks for the encouraging news. Also the additional 15 spots does help out. I wonder if increasing class size is a national trend?

So, did you guys who were accepted get an e-mail notification of your acceptance prior to getting your snail mail letter, or was it the other way around? They said they mailed their decision yesterday (which means it may be in my mail box today!!), but I figure if they didn't tell me I was accepted already via e-mail, it's probably not good news.

So, did you guys who were accepted get an e-mail notification of your acceptance prior to getting your snail mail letter, or was it the other way around? They said they mailed their decision yesterday (which means it may be in my mail box today!!), but I figure if they didn't tell me I was accepted already via e-mail, it's probably not good news.

I got an acceptance e-mail a week after my interview (3 days before they said they'd mail the decision). I'm not sure if that's how it always works...

Just got my letter. Same thing as the last cycle: "we reviewed your app, no final decision, yadda yadda" = waitlist. Great, another year, another $1000+ handed over to AMCAS.

Very interesting interview. My interviewers were extremely nice, conversational, and easy to talk to. Definitely the least stressful interview I've been on.

I got my interview invite on 1/25 for next week. I have Dr. Presbury and Dr. Dhanireddy. Did anyone interview with either of them? Also, what is best in terms of lodging (I am OOS)?

I had Dr. Dhanireddy. He was nice, asked a few ethical questions none of which were particularly hard or tricky. Just wanted to get to know you. His specialty is some subset of peds I think.

They will ask ethical questions. They told us that the setup was 1 interview is an "academic" interview to discuss your grades/MCAT and such and the other interview is to learn more about your ethics, morals, personality, etc.

Just got my letter. Same thing as the last cycle: "we reviewed your app, no final decision, yadda yadda" = waitlist. Great, another year, another $1000+ handed over to AMCAS.

Did anybody get acceptance very recently?
Or we are just interviewing for the waitlist?

I, too, have yet to receive an interview invite. I spoke with Nelson prior to the Christmas break--he informed me that I would be interviewing at UT in the future, but he couldn't give me an exact date. Told myself I wasn't going to pester them with constant phone calls, but it has been nearly a month and a half since we last spoke. Perhaps a brief phone call is in order for Monday...

Oh wow, they sent a "tell us what you think" letter.

Since their admissions committee meets so often, I thought it was an admissions decision instead of random mailing. What a huge tease.

Since their admissions committee meets so often, I thought it was an admissions decision instead of random mailing. What a huge tease.

Yeah, they warned us about the survey so that we didn't get too excited.

Well, they saved me a phone call...just got my interview invite (finally) via e-mail for 2/24.

It is so quite here.
I also got this letter. I think everybody get it.
Did anybody get accepted recently?
From my interview, I got a feeling that I am just interviewing for the waiting list.
I hope this is not true.

I had an interview there on 1/13 and still havent gotten any word back yet. Can I just assume that I have either been rejected or waitlisted? Are they sending emails to all those that they offer an invitation? They said that the letters would go out on 1/23, but nothing has arrived yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.