2009-2010 Mount Sinai Application Thread

Started by shemarty
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Fingers crossed... feels like it might be. Of course I've thought that every Wednesday for about the last 3 weeks, so who knows at this point. If noone hears anything today it could be this Friday too... last year it looks like the last spat of announcements went out on a Friday.

Oh don't tell me that... I'm too worked up to wait until Friday :laugh:
 
Just called the admissions office... They had their last meeting of the season yesterday, and decisions "will be sent out soon". I am literally going to go throw up from the anxiety right now... :xf:

On the bright side, no one will think anything of the wretching sound coming from the bathroom, as I currently share office space with the Division of GI Surgery :laugh::laugh::laugh:
 
what time are decisions usually sent out on wednesdays? are we thinking it's today or friday?

sorry, sent it the same time you posted 🙂 yikes! so what time?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
what time are decisions usually sent out on wednesdays? are we thinking it's today or friday?

sorry, sent it the same time you posted 🙂 yikes! so what time?

Judging from this year's and last year's post, if we hear something today it will be very soon (within the next few hours). It seems that emails go out during the 2-4p time schedule they have for status checks.

Unfortunately, you could also find out (good or bad) via snail mail too... I NEED TO KNOW NOW!!!!!!!!!
 
Can someone call and ask if they plan on releasing the decisions today or this week? I feel bad for calling again because the same lady answers the phone EVERY time I call. She definitely knows my voice at this point.
 
2:29

Does anyone know how well people do on the wait list/when movement starts?

I think it's a tiny bit later than most places. Maybe early June? I think it does move quite a bit, maybe 40-50 students a year. That actually is a lot. Most students who interview later in the season are much more likely to be waitlisted (because a lot of acceptances have already been given out), so I wouldn't feel too bad. Check out last year's thread.
 
I haven't gotten anything yet... Are they sending these out alphabetically or WL first or what?!?!?! I am a freaking wreck over here!!!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Okay so a spot of good news for those of us that haven't heard anything yet... I just called (again... I swear they must hate me at this point) to get a decision. She said that no decision has been made. She then paused... put me on hold... came back... and told me that even though the committee met yesterday, not all final decisions have been made (SO CONFUSED NOW). She said that the last batch will go out either Friday or next Wednesday...
 
i was there 3/9 too, and i got the same 11:29 PST email. waitlist.
maybe the delay's a good sign... or maybe it went to spam? check your junk mail

Yup check your spam folder. And, wait a bit. Maybe you just didn't slip into the email batch.

And I'm not a pessimist or anything, and totally don't get worried. But rejections are sent via snail mail, not email. So that is a possibility.
 
i was there 3/9 too, and i got the same 11:29 PST email. waitlist.
maybe the delay's a good sign... or maybe it went to spam? check your junk mail


Nothing in the junk folder... Who were (are... you're still you, I suspect :laugh:) you? I was the ex-Navy big football-player-looking kid that called Dr. Parkas "ma'am".
 
They were pretty clear about not wanting to give bad news over the phone. I think that those of us who didn't hear back probably didn't get in, and the "decisions will be released later this week/next week" is kind of like "your snailmail rejection letter will get there soon".

Also, they said that acceptances are email and snailmail, not email or snailmail. This means those of you who received an email decision will receive confirmation via snailmail, not that those of us who didn't may receive first notice via snailmail. We can argue the interpretation, but it seems silly to accept some via snailmail only. The labor cost of having someone include a few more emails in their mass mailer is tiny compared to the cost of stamp, ink, paper, envelope and labor.
 
Yeah got the waitlist email too. Glad they are so 'pleased' because I am not! Haha I don't feel like waiting, so I'm gonna withdraw. Goodluck all!
 
They were pretty clear about not wanting to give bad news over the phone. I think that those of us who didn't hear back probably didn't get in, and the "decisions will be released later this week/next week" is kind of like "your snailmail rejection letter will get there soon".

Also, they said that acceptances are email and snailmail, not email or snailmail. This means those of you who received an email decision will receive confirmation via snailmail, not that those of us who didn't may receive first notice via snailmail. We can argue the interpretation, but it seems silly to accept some via snailmail only. The labor cost of having someone include a few more emails in their mass mailer is tiny compared to the cost of stamp, ink, paper, envelope and labor.

This is a common practice at all schools. They have to send notification via mail to make sure applicants get their decision (e-mail...somewhat unreliable and less 'official"), and they'd rather tell you that you were rejected only once rather than many times. You're also more likely to reply immediately to an email message rather that a physical letter... and again, they'd rather not hear from you after you've been rejected.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just called (again) and asked if not getting an email today was "bad news" and she said that they would be sending acceptances and waitlists on friday and next wednesday.
 
Yeah got the waitlist email too. Glad they are so 'pleased' because I am not! Haha I don't feel like waiting, so I'm gonna withdraw. Goodluck all!

If you're really interested, I'd just let it continue on until waitlist time. Sinai is somewhat unique in the waitlist game because they do rank students. I.e. you don't need to necessarily send an update letters or any "begging" emails, because it doesn't matter too much. If you hear, you hear, and you're in. If you don't, you don't. Looks like you got a Philly geographical preference (me too!), but Sinai is an awesome school and it's worth the wait.
 
If you're really interested, I'd just let it continue on until waitlist time. Sinai is somewhat unique in the waitlist game because they do rank students. I.e. you don't need to necessarily send an update letters or any "begging" emails, because it doesn't matter too much. If you hear, you hear, and you're in. If you don't, you don't. Looks like you got a Philly geographical preference (me too!), but Sinai is an awesome school and it's worth the wait.

Are they known to tell applicants their position on the waitlist or no?
 
just called (again) and asked if not getting an email today was "bad news" and she said that they would be sending acceptances and waitlists on friday and next wednesday.


Good, because that 's the impression I got when I spoke with her. Good luck to us both, buddy :xf::xf::luck::luck:
 
Does anyone have insight into merit scholarships? I know one person on sdn has been offered one, but have they given all of them out?


A buddy of mine got a full ride (not in any programs, just regular MD track) a week after his acceptance back in October.
 
If you're really interested, I'd just let it continue on until waitlist time. Sinai is somewhat unique in the waitlist game because they do rank students. I.e. you don't need to necessarily send an update letters or any "begging" emails, because it doesn't matter too much. If you hear, you hear, and you're in. If you don't, you don't. Looks like you got a Philly geographical preference (me too!), but Sinai is an awesome school and it's worth the wait.

Do you know if they will they tell us where we are on the waitlist in our letter or if we call?
 
From last year:


Originally Posted by Decisions
Is it true that Sinai's wait list is RANKED, and that people's ranks never change even with updates??

That is what I was told over the phone by the admissions office several months ago, and maybe someone else can verify it.

So if this is true, then it is useless to send updates or a LOI to Mt. Sinai, correct??

It's true. LOI's and other updates won't help. I think money will though.
 
I can't remember if it was mentioned during my interview day, but does anyone know how many applicants Sinai puts on their wait-list? Also, does anyone know when we might begin to hear about acceptances from the wait-list?
 
For anyone who was waitlisted and mailed in the form accepting your position on the alternate list, did you receive any sort of confirmation?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just called (again) and asked if not getting an email today was "bad news" and she said that they would be sending acceptances and waitlists on friday and next wednesday.

I'm really hoping this is true. I interviewed Feb23rd and haven't heard anything. Looking through last years thread, it seems that everyone was waitlisted march20th and onward...and then acceptances were issued from the wait list past that point. I really hope that's not the case this year cuz that means more waiting 🙁

anyway, :xf:
 
Does anyone have anymore details on second look (time of events, etc?) I think I just have the flyer... trying to debate between Sinai second look and another - why are they all on the same weekend!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.