2009-2010 Tulane Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I called the admissions office and got these dates:

Friday July 30th - Student Orientation (all day)
Saturday July 31st - Parent Orientation (all day)
Sunday August 1st - Family BBQ/Activities
Monday August 2st - White Coat Ceremony (done after free luncheon)

Hope that helps!

Also, anyone received any official acceptance packet/info in the mail following payment of the $500 deposit yet??

awesome!! thanks so much for posting this, now i can start making some plans for my three week vacation between grad school and orientation, haha.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else going down for the April 12th Second Look?

Anyone else going down for the April 12th Second Look?

I am. Do you think they'll let us bring tag-a-longs? My wife and sob are coming down to NO with me and it seems lame to leave them to wander about all day on their own during the days activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the boat with everyone else who hasn't heard anything else after submitting the deposit-well basically everyone who hasn't gotten anything except the official acceptance letter in the mail, no financial aid conformation,etc. If anyone gets anything will you let us know, please?

And thank you soooo much for posting those dates! I have been obsessively looking for next years calendar on their website.

I'm in the boat with everyone else who hasn't heard anything else after submitting the deposit-well basically everyone who hasn't gotten anything except the official acceptance letter in the mail, no financial aid conformation,etc. If anyone gets anything will you let us know, please?

And thank you soooo much for posting those dates! I have been obsessively looking for next years calendar on their website.

I didn't get anything other than the acceptance letter either but you can submit the financial aid addendum:
http://www.finaidhsc.tulane.edu/Documents/SOM addendum 2010-2011 (2).pdf

I called the financial aid office this past Wednesday (3/31). The woman I spoke with said they are switching over to a new "system". Not sure if these are delays due to the switch from FFELP to Direct lending but I think as long as you submit your FAFSA and Addendum you should be in good shape for now. She assured me I wasn't behind on anything when I faxed over my addendum this week.

Has anyone sent transcripts? And were we given direction to?
No form of communication has been sent to me saying to send a transcript.. I mean I imagine it will be inevitable at some point.. I haven't done it yet or anything. I suppose I could put the request into to my school to do it when the years over. (Maybe if I do it now, they will actually get to it in a decent amount of time! - 50K students, you know ;P ).

No form of communication has been sent to me saying to send a transcript.. I mean I imagine it will be inevitable at some point.. I haven't done it yet or anything. I suppose I could put the request into to my school to do it when the years over. (Maybe if I do it now, they will actually get to it in a decent amount of time! - 50K students, you know ;P ).

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think anything had been sent out, but one never knows.

On another note, I sent in my financial aid addendum, called and got confirmation it was received about 2-ish weeks ago. The lady said they had not begun to issue financial aid packages yet.

If by Asian, you mean Vietnamese - you have an entire Vietnamese neighborhood 15 minutes away in East New Orleans. I ate there last week during my NOLA visit and trust me I know good Vietnamese food since I went to college near Little Saigon (aka Westminister, CA). I also went to a sushi/steak house in Metarie - was not too impressed by that one.

Don't know if there is much Asian food in Uptown.

What are the food options Uptown or near the other universities? I need my reasonably authentic Asian food every so often :)

If by Asian, you mean Vietnamese - you have an entire Vietnamese neighborhood 15 minutes away in East New Orleans. I ate there last week during my NOLA visit and trust me I know good Vietnamese food since I went to college near Little Saigon (aka Westminister, CA). I also went to a sushi/steak house in Metarie - was not too impressed by that one.

Don't know if there is much Asian food in Uptown.

I don't know about many places, but there is a Thai restaurant on maybe 7 - 10 mins away on Carrolton. It's also in easy access of the streetcar.

What are the food options Uptown or near the other universities? I need my reasonably authentic Asian food every so often :)

I would try Sake Cafe, 5 Happiness, Mikimoto or Thai Basil (I think thats what its called) its on carroltton right near St. Charles and the Daq place.

Members don't see this ad :)
so, second look people- how was it??? any interesting info? please share!!!

also, is anyone else thinking about living in mid-city? i want to be far away from the undergrads and actually think there are some nice looking brand-new apartment complexes that are tempting.

Who knows when finaid awards are coming out? Anyone call the office lately?
:scared:

Yea what is the login and pw. I did the "forget pw/login" thing, but then it says my email is not in file???

Yeah...I just locked myself out of the sign-in page playing around guessing the password. Your login is your tulane e-mail address (which they haven't given to us yet, but can be found by searching the Tulane on-line phonebook). I think they're going to send us another email (hopefully tomorrow?) proving our tulane email accounts and passwords so we can get things moving :)

@Koko, I'm doing the MD/MPH program. I think you can sacrifice one summer (not both) and still complete everything in 4yrs. Also, they do say some people opt to do 5 yrs and I'm assuming this is usually due to a desire to do research.

I got an email stating that my financial aid award is ready for viewing on their website, but they did not provide me a login for the page:
https://gibson.tulane.edu/tulane/jsp/login.html

Does anyone know what it could be?

Yea what is the login and pw. I did the "forget pw/login" thing, but then it says my email is not in file???

Yea, I have the same problem!!

Yeah...I just locked myself out of the sign-in page playing around guessing the password. Your login is your tulane e-mail address (which they haven't given to us yet, but can be found by searching the Tulane on-line phonebook). I think they're going to send us another email (hopefully tomorrow?) proving our tulane email accounts and passwords so we can get things moving :)

@Koko, I'm doing the MD/MPH program. I think you can sacrifice one summer (not both) and still complete everything in 4yrs. Also, they do say some people opt to do 5 yrs and I'm assuming this is usually due to a desire to do research.

I called the helpdesk at 866-276-1428 and they were able to get my account set up with e-mail, log-in and password.

It took about 8min and I'm in--no issues. Good luck!

Which forget your password link? The Gibson link does not work with my AMCAS email.

Did anyone get a financial aid package that wasn't just loans?

I called the helpdesk at 866-276-1428 and they were able to get my account set up with e-mail, log-in and password.

It took about 8min and I'm in--no issues. Good luck!

Good looking out! My phone call took forever, but it worked! Onto the oh so fun entrance counseling - yippie

If you click the link to request your password, type in your AMCAS e-mail address (the one that received Tulane's Aid e-mail) and within a few minutes, you'll receive your login and password. For me, both were numeric and wasn't the Tulane Phonebook e-mail.

I got shafted, which makes this MPH a lot less appealing even though I think I'd learn a lot. Tough choice, PinkIvy!

Ha. I hear that...Hello, Debt! I've just quit looking at the numbers and am signing my life away to the Dept of Ed :/ whomp whomp

For the people that got Financial Aid info, did you get an email or regular mail saying that it was ready? Just curious b/c I didn't get anything yet (by email).

Gettin' excited!!!

hi everyone!

so last night i received an email from TU financial aid telling me that my award is ready to be reviewed. HOWEVER, you must login to GIBSON to do so. since we have not received our login info, i found this a little weird. so i called the office this morning and they said that the emails were sent out in the wrong order, and i should be expecting another with login info within a few days. so there ya go! keep your eyes peeled for financial aid info via emails!!!

ted

hi everyone!

so last night i received an email from TU financial aid telling me that my award is ready to be reviewed. HOWEVER, you must login to GIBSON to do so. since we have not received our login info, i found this a little weird. so i called the office this morning and they said that the emails were sent out in the wrong order, and i should be expecting another with login info within a few days. so there ya go! keep your eyes peeled for financial aid info via emails!!!

ted

Call the help desk. They'll hook you up. Number is on the previous page.

I just received my financial info and only got loans. My head's about to explode, cause 72K in loans is a TON of money....Did ANYONE receive grant money in their package yet??? Also, does anyone have any tips on how to evaluate the loan packages before accepting?

I just received my financial info and only got loans. My head's about to explode, cause 72K in loans is a TON of money....Did ANYONE receive grant money in their package yet??? Also, does anyone have any tips on how to evaluate the loan packages before accepting?

Mine is all loans too :( Sounds like it's standard procedure outside of scholarships.

I suspect there will be lower number of grants because of the recession and the slip of endowments at pretty much every medical school. Even state schools are hurting because of state budgets. Bad situation all the way around. I don't think the Education Reconciliation Bill will have effect on med school lending.

am i the only one who still hasn't gotten the financial aid info? i turned everything in by march 15!!!

Does anyone have an idea about the waitlist statistics at Tulane? As in, how many people normally get waitlisted and how many are normally taken off?

don't be surprised if you don't see "grant" money if at all. if you didn't apply for a specific scholarship, then the only source of money you may receive besides loans is a tulane merit scholarship. in terms of evaluating your options, i called a tulane financial aid counselor and was told this: beyond the tuition/fees/books costs (which comes to about $53.5K http://www.finaidhsc.tulane.edu/som_faq_cost.htm) determine how much YOU will need for living expenses (rent, utilities, food, transportation, insurance, beer). then compare that to what the financial aid award gives you for the 10 months of T1 (about $20K). if you need less, then request a reduction. if you need more, then look for private loans from banks.

it is strongly recommended, however, that you do everything possible to reduce your award, and find alternate means of low or no interest loans (eg. form your family). this is because reducing your loans would come out of your federal PLUS loans which accrue 8.5% interest from day 1! the sub/unsub stafford loans have a much lower interest rate and provide grace periods as well. ALSO, you have 30 days from the beginning of each semester to re-evaluate your need, and return any loan you may not need interest-free! After 30 days, you pay it back like you normally would with interest. Finally, each year's financial aid award is determined independently of last years, so don't worry about carrying over leftover money. just ask for less the following year (or better yet, don't have any carry over at all cause that will have interest!). hope that helps!

Perhaps MPH applicants got it faster? It came the same day as the MPH acceptance...

i am an MPH applicant- i got my MPH acceptance but still no financial aid. wtf. and i have the worst luck trying to get people on the phone. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

it is strongly recommended, however, that you do everything possible to reduce your award, and find alternate means of low or no interest loans (eg. form your family). this is because reducing your loans would come out of your federal PLUS loans which accrue 8.5% interest from day 1! the sub/unsub stafford loans have a much lower interest rate and provide grace periods as well. ALSO, you have 30 days from the beginning of each semester to re-evaluate your need, and return any loan you may not need interest-free! After 30 days, you pay it back like you normally would with interest. Finally, each year's financial aid award is determined independently of last years, so don't worry about carrying over leftover money. just ask for less the following year (or better yet, don't have any carry over at all cause that will have interest!). hope that helps!

any idea how we actually do this? on the gibson website, there seems only to be an option to either accept or decline the entire award (not just part of it). a call to the fin. aid office did not yield any helpful information ("there's a way to do it on the website"). I did see a page where you could add information about outside financial resources, but I took that to be the spot to list outside scholarships. if one wants to, say, accept only the Staffords and decline the grad plus, how does one actually do this?

any idea how we actually do this? on the gibson website, there seems only to be an option to either accept or decline the entire award (not just part of it). a call to the fin. aid office did not yield any helpful information ("there's a way to do it on the website"). I did see a page where you could add information about outside financial resources, but I took that to be the spot to list outside scholarships. if one wants to, say, accept only the Staffords and decline the grad plus, how does one actually do this?

I can't remember the actual steps, but when I went through to accept the fin aid. It gave me an option to accept each one individually--GradPLUS, Stafford Unsub and Stafford Sub. I did as you desire and declined the GradPlus, so my summary indicates that. Sorry I can't be more descriptive, but as I went through the screens to accept, it allowed it. Good Luck!

I still haven't received my financial award letter yet. I called today and they said that they're still working on a lot of them so just wait.

So I was bored and reading last year's thread....I saw this post and wondered if anyone at Tulane can comment on this post from last year's application thread?

"In order to remain anonymous from the class T1 thread, I created an alias to share some thoughts about my school as the first year winds down.

First of all, I love New Orleans. I think its a great city that has something for everyone although I am not a fan of humidity.

There is a lot of good stuff about Tulane: the city, some professors, anatomy professors are awesome. With that being said, there is a lot of bad stuff that probably would make me go back in time and go to the other medical schools I was accepted to. More so than anything, administration is HORRIBLE. Even as a student, it takes a lot of effort to sometimes to be heard. Papers get lost (my financial aid was a ***** to finalize). Our technology (video lectures) is SUCH A LETDOWN. Professors routinely forget to use it, the audio is sometimes missing, it cannot be trusted at any cost. The curriculum, which we are the transition year for, is frustrating to say the least. Anatomy was squeezed. Neuroanatomy was squeezed. Genetics was literally thrown in as an afterthought. We had like 7 tests packed into a 3 week period that gave us fits. Lastly, we are starting 2nd year classes a month before summer break for God knows why. Ugh.

I really want to like Tulane b/c I have some great friends here but there is so much that pisses me off b/c we pay SO MUCH!!!! I literally have a 70K loan for being OOS and I feel like my money is being wasted since my state school would have saved me 30K for the same education and better services.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Once again, this is only my vies of my school."

So I was bored and reading last year's thread....I saw this post and wondered if anyone at Tulane can comment on this post from last year's application thread?

"In order to remain anonymous from the class T1 thread, I created an alias to share some thoughts about my school as the first year winds down.

First of all, I love New Orleans. I think its a great city that has something for everyone although I am not a fan of humidity.

There is a lot of good stuff about Tulane: the city, some professors, anatomy professors are awesome. With that being said, there is a lot of bad stuff that probably would make me go back in time and go to the other medical schools I was accepted to. More so than anything, administration is HORRIBLE. Even as a student, it takes a lot of effort to sometimes to be heard. Papers get lost (my financial aid was a ***** to finalize). Our technology (video lectures) is SUCH A LETDOWN. Professors routinely forget to use it, the audio is sometimes missing, it cannot be trusted at any cost. The curriculum, which we are the transition year for, is frustrating to say the least. Anatomy was squeezed. Neuroanatomy was squeezed. Genetics was literally thrown in as an afterthought. We had like 7 tests packed into a 3 week period that gave us fits. Lastly, we are starting 2nd year classes a month before summer break for God knows why. Ugh.

I really want to like Tulane b/c I have some great friends here but there is so much that pisses me off b/c we pay SO MUCH!!!! I literally have a 70K loan for being OOS and I feel like my money is being wasted since my state school would have saved me 30K for the same education and better services.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest. Once again, this is only my vies of my school."

It seems like some of these gripes might be cleared up. When I went to second look, the student tour guides talked about Teligent (the lecture recording system) and they said it was great and there were hardly and problems and when there were they were fixed pretty quickly. This guy's complaint could have been from when the system was being newly implemented, which would explain why some teachers didn't know how to use it or forgot to use it. With multiple years in use now, I would think that most problems have been rectified. I remember a number of people saying that quite a few students don't go to class and just rely on Teligent, and I doubt that would be the case if it wasn't reliable.

As far as the administration goes, I have also had current students tell me that the administration is very helpful and accommodating. I'm sure you would be able to find someone who gripes about the administration at every school. And like koko said, I'm pretty sure every fin aid office is slow as molasses.

Lastly, I think the complaints about the curriculum probably sprouted from being in the guinea pig group of the new system they are using. There will be growing pains in any curriculum improvement, but I think we'll be getting there when most of the bugs are worked out.

I could be totally wrong though. Just my thoughts.

Hi All, what email address do I send a letter to in order to withdraw from Tulane? This was a very tough decision because i really enjoyed my interview day and the facilities...

Hi All, what email address do I send a letter to in order to withdraw from Tulane? This was a very tough decision because i really enjoyed my interview day and the facilities...

For any withdrawl, I'd just Google "School X office of admissions" and send an email to the address on their website. That's what I've been doing and it's been working just fine.

Withdrew my acceptance today. It was a tough decision, goodluck to those still waiting.

I was wondering what you would end up choosing! A few of my friends love WUSTL (and St. Louis) and I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

Anyway, Tulane is $500 richer today. Should I expect anything besides a payment confirmation? This feels anticlimatic.

I'm with you on this one. After all the trouble and build up to actually get in (for me it's been a long road), I wasn't expecting a parade but I was sort of expecting something (maybe a t-shirt :)). Oh well. I guess it's our first lesson in humility.

Does anyone know if there's an immunization form somewhere that we need to get filled out? I've looked around and haven't found anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.