2010-2011 Cornell University (Weill) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When do we have to reject all but one offer by? May 16th at 5:00 pm (Monday)? or May 15th at 12:01 am (Sunday)?

The last line at this link says: "If any date falls on a weekend/holiday the recommendation(s) will begin on the following business day."

Members don't see this ad.

The last line at this link says: "If any date falls on a weekend/holiday the recommendation(s) will begin on the following business day."

There's no time on that site. I think by 5pm end of business day would make sense right?

It appears to be school dependent; some are strict with 11:59PM on Sunday, others are changing to a reasonable time on Monday. Unless anybody has specific information for Cornell I would send the e-mail by 11:59PM on Sunday to ensure you retain your deposit.

Keep in mind, the document pa18 linked to begins "The AAMC recommends that:"

These aren't AAMC requirements; they're recommendations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wooot!

I received my acceptance email at 12:30pm today. See you other acceptees in the fall!

For anyone who is interested I sent a letter of interest a few weeks ago and then contacted both of my interviewers last week. I sent a letter of intent on Saturday, but to be honest, I am sure they haven't received it yet.

Good luck to the rest of you!

ACCEPTED off waitlist 12:30pm

Wooot!

I received my acceptance email at 12:30pm today. See you other acceptees in the fall!

For anyone who is interested I sent a letter of interest a few weeks ago and then contacted both of my interviewers last week. I sent a letter of intent on Saturday, but to be honest, I am sure they haven't received it yet.

Good luck to the rest of you!
Congrats both of you! Were you notified by email or phone call?

Out of curiousity, did you two receive the "are you still interested in Cornell?" email last week?

yes I received the "interest" email last week

rafflecopter, let's not fall prey to conclusion drawing. I didn't receive an acceptance today, but I did receive that infamous e-mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not receive the "are you still interested" email, but I imagine that since I sent an update saying I was still interested, that was enough to answer their question. Good luck!

Do these new acceptances usually go by rounds?

yes they go by rounds We are given 1 week to reply so next round will be in about 10 days from now

yes they go by rounds We are given 1 week to reply so next round will be in about 10 days from now
Thanks for the heads up lex and congrats! Here's to hoping there's another round coming :xf:

Withdrew my acceptance, good luck everyone!

Must... hold... on... to... hope...

But really, congrats to everyone accepted off the waitlist so far. Here's hoping for some good news next week :xf:

Unless they've changed their practices this year, I wouldn't be so sure invitations come out in rounds. Did you get this information from the admissions office?

According to available historical documents (see old SDN threads), invitations from the wait list are rolling.

i was accepted yesterday! sooooo happy and excited!! best day ever.

i was accepted yesterday! sooooo happy and excited!! best day ever.
Congrats fallfeather!!! That's awesome news! Just a quick question though, did you by chance receive the infamous "are you interested" email? I'm beginning to think that that email doesn't have anything to do with our chances of getting in... Congrats again to you and all who've been accepted!

I was just accepted yesterday too!! They give you a week to decide. I really need help! Columbia or Cornell? Obviously Cornell location is better. Besides that, what do people think? Help!

I'm a tiny bit annoyed that Cornell is so little.
There is practically no gym! no pool! I need to find my own yoga class, and pool..
However, the location is better, I feel like since it is so small, and not situationed within a giant university, you live more like a young worker in NYC and are thrust into the city more, vs. a more sheltered existence.
(I didn't apply to Columbia so I don't know much about it)

I think Columbia has more of a prestige within medical fields so if you aspire to rise to the top of academic medicine then go with Columbia. Cornell has nice location and is a smaller class.

Are other people bothered by the lack of activity on this thread? Any recent waitlist movement?

Are other people bothered by the lack of activity on this thread? Any recent waitlist movement?

Just accepted off the waitlist today. Working on a decision. Manhattan is perfect for me, just trying to decide if Cornell can be as well.

Just accepted off the waitlist today. Working on a decision. Manhattan is perfect for me, just trying to decide if Cornell can be as well.
Hahaha, lightning quick response, love it. Congrats and good luck on your decision!

What do people think about the getting out at 1pm feature at Cornell? It seems kinda amazing--like, wouldn't it be nice to have the ENTIRE afternoon off every day to get work done, go to the gym, do anything you want? It seems like Cornell is one of the only schools to do this. Is this a serious perk? Or do the kids just have to teach more to themselves and therefore study more during that free time?

What do people think about the getting out at 1pm feature at Cornell? It seems kinda amazing--like, wouldn't it be nice to have the ENTIRE afternoon off every day to get work done, go to the gym, do anything you want?
It definitely is nice to have the entire afternoon off to myself. There is just a little homework to do ;) , but there's plenty time to just live!
It seems like Cornell is one of the only schools to do this. Is this a serious perk? Or do the kids just have to teach more to themselves and therefore study more during that free time?
The lectures cover pretty much everything you need to know and more. You are responsible for a little self- and group-learning, but in terms of the quizzes it doesn't amount to much. This is MUCH better than ending the day at 3-4PM, and then having to start studying.

What do people think about the getting out at 1pm feature at Cornell? It seems kinda amazing--like, wouldn't it be nice to have the ENTIRE afternoon off every day to get work done, go to the gym, do anything you want? It seems like Cornell is one of the only schools to do this. Is this a serious perk? Or do the kids just have to teach more to themselves and therefore study more during that free time?

As far as I know that ends by second year, so it doesn't seem like that much of a benefit in the long run...

Withdrew my acceptance today guys, good luck to everyone else.

Accepted off the waitlist at 2:16 pm EST yesterday!!!

edit: I guess I have drugsarefuÑ to thank? hahahhhha

Withdrew my acceptance today. Good luck some random waitlister :p

withdrew my acceptance, hope someone on SDN gets that spot =D

I got off last week. Good luck to all who are waiting!

don't lose hope! just accepted via phone & email! definitely attending! :D

gl to everyone still waiting!

Status
Not open for further replies.