2011-2012 Charles Drew University/UCLA Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I didnt put this information out there to cause a debate or spread misinformation. I know how people wonder and just wanted to relay what I was told. As to its validity only time will tell. I hope USCTrojan is right honestly. It is a great program many of us hopefuls would still like to be a part of.

I know, I was just clarifying. A lot of information is out there and didn't want you guys to get worked up over a misunderstanding. Just relax and wait patiently. The wait is always worth it!
:luck:

Get lots of :sleep::sleep: before med school starts.

Members don't see this ad.

I know, I was just clarifying. A lot of information is out there and didn't want you guys to get worked up over a misunderstanding. Just relax and wait patiently. The wait is always worth it!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for your advice. Is there anything new you can share with us possibly? I know you mentioned earlier that they accept 1-3 at the beginning and middle of every month. Is this still the case right now?

Thank you again in advanced! :)

Anyone up for starting a ucla/drew fb group? I think it would be cool to start getting to know everyone before classes start.

Hi, would you mind telling me when Drew and Geffen orientations are scheduled for.

Congratulations to all those that have been accepted. I am hoping I hear some positive news in the next month or so. :thumbup:

Keeping my fingers crossed. :xf:

anyone heard any news lately? Hoping for some good news myself in the coming weeks.

Good Luck SilentSoldier! When did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?

I interviewed Feb 4th so I've been waiting, although I figure there are people in here who've been waiting since Oct so I shouldn't complain, but I will anyway.

I interviewed Feb 4th so I've been waiting, although I figure there are people in here who've been waiting since Oct so I shouldn't complain, but I will anyway.

Haha. I sometimes complain too, but I think we should stay positive! :thumbup: Let's hope for the best.

I noticed in posts from previous years that they did not finalize their class until the end of June or even a week before orientation.

Haha. I sometimes complain too, but I think we should stay positive! :thumbup: Let's hope for the best.

I noticed in posts from previous years that they did not finalize their class until the end of June or even a week before orientation.

True story. Never give up, it's always worth the wait.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's up everyone?! Just talked to admissions, the class is full, but people might drop last minute (May 15). So don't lose hope, pray, and get some sleep.

What's up everyone?! Just talked to admissions, the class is full, but people might drop last minute (May 15). So don't lose hope, pray, and get some sleep.

Thanks for the info dude!
I have a feeling they are still going to hand out more acceptances sometime soon! Keeping my fingers closed :xf::luck:

By the way, are you already in drew? The thing on the bottom says class of "2015"

By the way, are you already in drew? The thing on the bottom says class of "2015"

Yup Mr. (NOT DR yet lol) Mang is in our class. Good luck, they should trickle out over the next month, just know we only have 24 spots and its unlikely someone will post they got in (maybe 25% of applicants are on SDN).

A program as awesome as Drew makes me less than optimistic that there's much waitlist movement. i'll be sending them as many intent letters as possible without going overboard or coming off desperate( despite actually being desperate :p ) for the rare case that someone declines a spot.

Have you been sending (emailing, hard copy?) your intent letters to Joseph Corrao? I came within a hairs breath ( i think you spell that with a d but ill leave it) of getting in a couple cycles ago w/ no letter. What is the opinion of the current students? I wonder if they may be tired of too much claptrap -- Thanks All

Yup Mr. (NOT DR yet lol) Mang is in our class. Good luck, they should trickle out over the next month, just know we only have 24 spots and its unlikely someone will post they got in (maybe 25% of applicants are on SDN).

Based off the past, do you know about how many people get in off wait-list? How many people in your class were off the wait-list? Just curious.

Reactions: 1 user
True story. Never give up, it's always worth the wait.

The problem for me is that of the schools I have been accepted to, the one I would chose 2nd to Charles Drew starts end of June. So I am praying I get that call from Drew soon.

My heart always jumps whenever this thread is updated. But no news as of yet, at least on my end

Hey! I am not applying to med school yet but I am going to Charles R Drew for their post-bacc program. I know this is not the right thread to ask questions but I didn't know where else to ask; there isn't much info on the program on these forums. I wanted to know about the area and how safe it is. For someone who isn't from LA, the area around the university seems really scary. And this might really be a question for those already in the CDU programs....how safe is it for students? I keep hearing that its not safe at all at night, but what if your schdule calls for you be on campus late...what are you suppose to do? And then there's all this talk about no public transportation is safe...so i'll bring my car, but are parking lots around the campus really that unsafe b/c ppl are saying to put a club on the steering wheel. Also, where do most students live or suggest for getting an apartment (safe for a female)? Lastly, what is the traffic like? Say I am to find a place that's like 10 or 15 miles away, how long is that likely to take given the traffic?

*I lied, one final question: do students from different programs at CDU get to interact with eachother at all...like get advice from current med students and such?

I'm sorry if I sound paranoid...but i would really appreciate it is someone could answer my questions...thanks a bunch!

Hey! I am not applying to med school yet but I am going to Charles R Drew for their post-bacc program. I know this is not the right thread to ask questions but I didn't know where else to ask; there isn't much info on the program on these forums. I wanted to know about the area and how safe it is. For someone who isn't from LA, the area around the university seems really scary. And this might really be a question for those already in the CDU programs....how safe is it for students? I keep hearing that its not safe at all at night, but what if your schdule calls for you be on campus late...what are you suppose to do? And then there's all this talk about no public transportation is safe...so i'll bring my car, but are parking lots around the campus really that unsafe b/c ppl are saying to put a club on the steering wheel. Also, where do most students live or suggest for getting an apartment (safe for a female)? Lastly, what is the traffic like? Say I am to find a place that's like 10 or 15 miles away, how long is that likely to take given the traffic?

*I lied, one final question: do students from different programs at CDU get to interact with eachother at all...like get advice from current med students and such?

I'm sorry if I sound paranoid...but i would really appreciate it is someone could answer my questions...thanks a bunch!

Duuuuuuuuude!!!! This is so not what this thread is about. I am sure you can find threads about CDU post-bacc on SDN (I searched one just to make sure, and found it...) Nevertheless, I will offer to answer some of your rather "disturbing" questions. First, let me say CDU area is like any other part of LA. I am not sure why you would assume the area is scary (for no obvious reasons). "I keep hearing that its not safe at all at night..." -- One isolated incident does not paint a picture of the whole place. Incidents happen everywhere in LA, East-West, North-South. Check online for stuff like that, and I am sure you will find a lot of info, correct and more importantly, INCORRECT!!! Second...I better stop here. Finally, I would say "KEEP CALM" and enjoy your studies at CDU, and trust the law enforcement with their job. CDU is such a great school :D

Last edited:
They were not kidding when they said it would take a while.

Nope! I am assuming they have not finalized the class though, which is good news I guess?

For those of you who intend to reapply this year, are you planning to submit your primary on June 5th or wait a few weeks to see if there is any news from Drew? I would like to get my app in early this year, but I realize that last year some students were not accepted at Drew until the third week of June! I am wondering if I should wait that long. Anyone have any advice or thoughts on this?

Just got the call today, super excited. Charles Drew was my no. 1 choice :)

Just got the call today, super excited. Charles Drew was my no. 1 choice :)

Congratulations!! Enjoy the rest of your summer! Do whatever you like now because time will not be a luxury you'll have once school begins. See you soon.

No I did not, if I get to talk to them again I will bring that up.

Congrats, so i guess there is some waitlist movement going on then. will send in LOI #3 in to see if there's any hope for me to be c/o 2016.

btw Makauzi, did you happen to send Drew any letters of interest / intent?

I had been so busy with school that I had not had time to craft a loi, but about 3 weeks ago I sent one, then "bam", 2 weeks later I get a call :)

Reactions: 1 user
That might be pushing it. Just saying. There's an art to this game, balance being "interested" with annoying.

Well its not like I wouldn't have anything to write about since I made sure to focus on different things in my previous 2 letters. Also, I made sure to space them apart ( about 6 weeks or so) to give them time to digest the letters. Time is dwindling down and so are my chances, I don't really have the luxury of just sort of waiting to see.

I do appreciate all the help you've given in this thread, so what would you think the best course of action should be?

Well its not like I wouldn't have anything to write about since I made sure to focus on different things in my previous 2 letters. Also, I made sure to space them apart ( about 6 weeks or so) to give them time to digest the letters. Time is dwindling down and so are my chances, I don't really have the luxury of just sort of waiting to see.

I do appreciate all the help you've given in this thread, so what would you think the best course of action should be?

My advice is that you need to keep the balance between interested and annoying. While most of the time we can't with 100% confidence know whether an action may or may not help us, its important to realize when there is a risk of hurting ourselves by coming across as "annoying" for lack of better word. I was the same neurotic pre-med who spent honestly 30% of my time everyday thinking or worrying about Drew. I was superstitious, checked my email at 15 min intervals if not on my iPhone, called and hung up when I caught myself for being dumb and not having anything to to really talk about other than where's my app, drafted and redrafted update letters that were never sent, drove by the school to get good vibes and prayed like hell - all the while doing other interviews and my senior year of college. It's hard, we're wired to be successful and go after everything we want. But the important thing to realize here in the application process is that we should put everything we have into the actual interview - there is no after the fact interviewing here. Thank you letters are for courtesy, update letters and letters of intent can change the perspective of your application but nothing significant. Put EVERYTHING into the app and interview and just play the waiting game afterwards. Remember the adcom have real jobs outside of admissions - give them time to read and digest the letter before sending another one. I would space them out by 3 months at least. Oh well, nothing you can do now except wait and pray. Don't be overbearing, it could come off as neurotic at best, and giving the impression as someone who is crazy and annoying to work with at worse.:luck:

SMH...those are recommendations, not hard facts. UCLA, PRIME and DREW all have historically not adhered to them. I think you're using the wrong word, a scramble implies, like match day (scrambling actually happened today) applicants or a program trying to scoop up any open spots. Nothing happens 5/15 and many students, myself included, held far more than 1 spot long past that date. If you check past years threads or just listen to the students in this thread 1-3 people are accepted around every 1st or 15th date of the month. Probably not this week though since its match week

What's the significance of the 1st and 15th?

@USCTrojan11

thank you for all of your help on this board! i was just wondering if we should expect any more movement on the waitlist. i know last year there were a few acceptances around the 20th. do you think the same would happen this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.