2011-2012 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I called all they said was:

"all I can let you know is that your application is still under consideration and you'll have a final decision by June first"

I'm hoping they're just trying to throw me off track because they actually made a decision and not the alternative :(

Members don't see this ad.

I hope I have a decision coming my way. I just can't bare to be strung along until june.

Has anyone received acceptance via snailmail this cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing in the mail for me again. Even though I am only an hour away from Indy I am hoping that the post office has just been slow, wishful thinking..

Nothing in the mail for me again. Even though I am only an hour away from Indy I am hoping that the post office has just been slow, wishful thinking..

I live closer and am thinking the earliest possible acceptances coming through the mail should be tomorrow.

I tried calling and all i got was a voice recording saying the admissions office is unavailable! Maybe too many folks were calling about their status.

When I called all they said was:

"all I can let you know is that your application is still under consideration and you'll have a final decision by June first"

I'm hoping they're just trying to throw me off track because they actually made a decision and not the alternative :(

I've been waiting since early October. Although I've been accepted elsewhere already, this is beyond frustrating. I feel your pain.

With your stats, I think you will get in!:xf:

Can people who got accepted please post their gpa/MCAT and when they sent in their primary and secondary application to IUSM?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an acceptance into the rural program yet?

Can people who got accepted please post their gpa/MCAT and when they sent in their primary and secondary application to IUSM?

Thanks!

Stats: mdapps profile
Primary: sent Oct 5
Secondary: received and sent in mid December

What you are probably going to find out from this is have a GPA >3.6 an MCAT >30 and get your app sent out ASAP preferably EDP if you are IS. I sent mine late because I was waiting for MCAT scores and wasn't going to send it if I had substandard scores.

My stats are right there, gpa (both sci and cum) over 3.6 and my mcat is a 30. Still haven't heard anything but will likely apply EDP if I'm not accepted this cycle. I didn't apply EDP this cycle because my MCAT score came out after the deadline for EDP, but I still interviewed early in the game. Haven't given up hope but IU really enjoys stringing people along

Has anyone seen IU's residency match list? I've been able to find one pretty easily for the other schools I've been admitted to, but I'm not finding anything on IUSM's website.

My stats are right there, gpa (both sci and cum) over 3.6 and my mcat is a 30. Still haven't heard anything but will likely apply EDP if I'm not accepted this cycle. I didn't apply EDP this cycle because my MCAT score came out after the deadline for EDP, but I still interviewed early in the game. Haven't given up hope but IU really enjoys stringing people along

The guy who interviewed me said the way they figure out who gets reviewed by the admissions committee after the interview is through a ranking system that takes into account multiple variables (GPA and MCAT being ranked heavily). According to the MSAR the class avg is 3.7/3.7 31 with no scores below a 10. Your stats are just below that so I guess that is probably what is keeping you from ranking high enough to be reviewed. Maybe you will rank high on the waitlist and get a spot when people start making their final decisions in May. I feel for you, I had been stressing about getting into IU all year (I didn't get an interview until Feb). Don't give up hope though, just try and stay positive and if you don't get in this year do the EDP route and you will probably get in. Everyone I know who has reapplied EDP with solid stats have got in (n=5).

Just got the acceptance in the mail tday: MCAT 25(9,6,10) GPA 3.9 and heavy clinical exposure. So I guess just the MCAT doesn't really ultimately determine ones fate.

Well awesome, congrats! Anxiously hoping mine is on its way still..

Thank you. The waiting is the worst part, but I am sure you will find out about the rural med program no later than April 15th. Best of luck!

Just got the acceptance in the mail tday: MCAT 25(9,6,10) GPA 3.9 and heavy clinical exposure. So I guess just the MCAT doesn't really ultimately determine ones fate.

Congrats! Yes, it is true that one can make up for aspects of their application by being stellar in other areas...but we know that being above average in every area will give people the best chance of gaining an acceptance. Do you mind elaborating on your heavy clinical exposure??

Congrats! Yes, it is true that one can make up for aspects of their application by being stellar in other areas...but we know that being above average in every area will give people the best chance of gaining an acceptance. Do you mind elaborating on your heavy clinical exposure??

I guess you are right.

I interned as a surgical assistant for 3 months, shadowed a neurosurgeon for 4 months and an OB/GYN for 2 yrs(he actually wrote me a rec) I have been a CNA from 2008 till present. and I also did clinical research, presented at both NCUR and the society of developmental bio. So I guess maybe those are the things that made me stand out in a way.

called the admissions office and said no decisions yet for me.. o well.

Congratulations!Your experience is impressive.Do you mind if I ask are you considered as minority?Just curious.

I guess you are right.

I interned as a surgical assistant for 3 months, shadowed a neurosurgeon for 4 months and an OB/GYN for 2 yrs(he actually wrote me a rec) I have been a CNA from 2008 till present. and I also did clinical research, presented at both NCUR and the society of developmental bio. So I guess maybe those are the things that made me stand out in a way.

It's kind of weird that I might not be accepted this cycle but I could apply EDP next cycle (stats: IS, 3.68 cum, 3.65 sci, 30 mcat) and I would likely be accepted based on the fact I've heard most who apply EDP are. Seems a little off.

Congratulations!Your experience is impressive.Do you mind if I ask are you considered as minority?Just curious.

Well, I am French, and English is my second language. That might have given me an extra edge. Regardless, I think people pay a lot of attention to numbers, and may overlook other parts of their application that are just as important, if not more important. I bet someone with average numbers who has shown through their activities, and other things that they know what they are getting into has a greater shot of getting in compared to another person who even though has way above average numbers, appears to have done little or nothing thru college except study.

So, I also interviewed in mid-February. This morning, I got a barrage of emails containing forms to fill out, including the campus placement preference form.

I would be more excited about this if I'd received an acceptance letter as well. I live on the west coast, so I was sort of hoping that it was just taking a bit longer to get to me. But now that it's march 22nd, well... It's not looking good.

Does anyone know if they send those forms whether or not you are accepted?

So, I also interviewed in mid-February. This morning, I got a barrage of emails containing forms to fill out, including the campus placement preference form.

I would be more excited about this if I'd received an acceptance letter as well. I live on the west coast, so I was sort of hoping that it was just taking a bit longer to get to me. But now that it's march 22nd, well... It's not looking good.

You should try calling them.

I don't want to get your hopes up if that's not the case, but I definitely didn't get the campus placement form until after I was accepted. I got that email a week after they sent my letter, but only a few days after I had actually gotten the letter in the mail.

I was accepted and received those emails this morning. There must be a mistake somewhere; either the letter was sent to the wrong address (check your amcas and call the admissions office) or they accidentally sent you the forms. Either way I would call the office and clear this up. Good luck!

I received an acceptance EMAIL on Feb 17th and then received all those emails on Feb 22nd. I actually didn't get my acceptance packet until a couple days after the 22nd. I have a feeling the letter came later because it went to my mom's address in Illinois.

It's seems good you received all those, I hope you are accepted!

Got my acceptance letter in the mail today! How are campus placements going for everyone? I'm hoping against hope for bloomington or south bend!

Got my acceptance letter in the mail today! How are campus placements going for everyone? I'm hoping against hope for bloomington or south bend!

Congrats! I sent my campus preference letter out last week, I haven't heard anything back yet though. I ended up ranking campuses that have either a block style or PBL curriculum highly. I am assuming that most people are not going to rank Muncie or Gary very high due to how run down those two areas are, so I should get one of my top choices. We will see though..

Just withdrew my acceptance today from IU. Hope someone else gets it. Wish you all the best.

Can someone share their experiences with EDP or at what they have heard about it if they know people who have done it? I.e. does anyone know stats about acceptance rates if you apply EDP or does anyone know of anyone who applied EDP and was not accepted? Because I've heard almost everyone who does it gets accepted but I'm not sure if this is the case.

Does anyone know what our options are in terms of petitioning our campus placements? There are four different campuses I know people at where I could have had an easy time, and I got my FIFTH choice. Am I stuck?

Does anyone know what our options are in terms of petitioning our campus placements? There are four different campuses I know people at where I could have had an easy time, and I got my FIFTH choice. Am I stuck?

They're doing a new thing this year, a second lottery for people who didn't get their first choice. I don't know much about it, but one of the admissions office people posted this on the IUSM c/o 2016 Facebook page: "NEWS FLASH: FROM THE IUSM ADMISSION'S OFFICE --
Tomorrow you will receive an email with information about a 2nd chance campus lottery. This is open ONLY to students who did not receive their 1st choice. Details to follow."

Correct. You pick ONE campus to enter a 2nd lottery. This lottery is for spots that open up once people holding multiple acceptances make their decision, etc.

I attend classes at the medical school building and live here in Indianapolis. However, I opened the email the other day and saw......... Muncie. I am preparing myself for Muncie but am still going to enter the lottery for Indy.

Jess

I finally made it to the alternate list :). The email I received told me that the alternate list consists of about 100 people and last year half of those people got in.

Got email for alternate list today as well... crossing my fingers!

Nothing here...I assume that means rejection :( ....I'm waitlisted at one DO school cause I interviewed late but wasn't a big fan of the school. If I get in nowhere, I'll be reapplying EDP here in next year. If I get into that other school, I've got some decisions to make (go to a school I don't like, or apply EDP next year, which I heard greatly increases ones chances of getting in)

Got rejected today. Interviewed early November...oh well. Best of luck to everyone else!

anyone heard of any movement on the alternate list?

Status
Not open for further replies.