2011-2012 Rosalind Franklin Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume I am now small pooled considering I just got an email saying

"Your file is complete and has passed a primary screening. This means you are in the pool of applicants who may be invited to interview with CMS. However, this does not guarantee an invitation and you may be invited to interview or declined an interview at anytime during the admissions process."

Hope that means this is a good thing.

Yes, it is a good thing. You need to be pooled prior to receiving an interview. Just recognize that the pool is probably really big.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know what the word/character limit is for the two essay questions?

Thanks!

I'm having so much trouble with this Life in Discovery essay! how long was everyone else's? also, did you talk about the opporutnities at RFUMS and how they'll help you lead a life in discovery? Mine is starting to sound like a "why Rosalind" essay :( instead of the philosophical one I think they want.
IMO, this was/is not directly a "why Rosalind" essay, but you will want to indirectly address/show how your philosophy of "A Life in Discovery" meshes with the school's. When I addressed the essay I answered the question in a broader sense first, then I related it back to medicine/being a physician. I did not mention the school's name anywhere in the essay.
thanks Donnie, it's just that I feel like I've spent way too long on this secondary and I look at what I have and I don't like it. The "interprofessional" essay is also bugging me. I wrote something honest aobut my greatest challenge but am now second-guessing myself b/c it kind of makes me sound liek a whiny person. In truth, i'm not, but they dont' know that cuz they've never met me. i think i might just try to do the "quicker" essay which is "oh i take on too much responbility" but i feel liek EVERYONE writes that essay. it just makes me feel rushed that so many people seem to have turned theirs in already and i'm at the end of july and haven't turned in half my secondaries yet.

btw, what is your icon? your favorite band?
You'll want to pick a weakness that's not too detrimental to the interprofessional environment which you can potentially spin off in a positive light while emphasizing how you will overcome it.

Btw, not being done with the secondary in July is NOT late. I sent in my secondary in October or November and eventually got accepted. Make sure you do your best on the essays in a timely fashion, but don't send something that is sub-par just to meet some imaginary deadline set by SDN pre-meds.
I assume I am now small pooled considering I just got an email saying

"Your file is complete and has passed a primary screening. This means you are in the pool of applicants who may be invited to interview with CMS. However, this does not guarantee an invitation and you may be invited to interview or declined an interview at anytime during the admissions process."

Hope that means this is a good thing.
Standard stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it was mentioned that there were no word/character limits for the essays. How long, approximately, are people doing their essays? Thanks guys and good luck.

IMO, this was/is not directly a "why Rosalind" essay, but you will want to indirectly address/show how your philosophy of "A Life in Discovery" meshes with the school's. When I addressed the essay I answered the question in a broader sense first, then I related it back to medicine/being a physician. I did not mention the school's name anywhere in the essay.

I did this and I made sure to include examples in my academic/personal life to illustrate how I can possibly mesh with their philosophy.

Did anyone receive a notice when their LOR arrived? My secondary was submitted awhile ago but I was waiting on my LOR-committee letter from my school until last thursday. Just wondering if I should expect to hear something before the legendary small pool letter?

Just entered the screening as well...really hoping for small pool/interview...how long did it take between the entering screening letter and the small pool notification?

How long did it take you all to receive the secondary after your AMCAS verification? Also, any ideas on what they screen for in OOS applicants?

POSTED IN WRONG FORUM.

Last edited:
thanks rentedmule! why didn't you choose Rosalind in the end?
Mostly timing and price. I got off the WL for Rosalind within a week of getting off the WL for my state school. It just didn't make sense for me to move to another state on relatively short notice and pay double tuition.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who entered primary screening on 7/18 (or after that date) received a small pool email? I am still crossing my fingers...!

Just entered the screening as well...really hoping for small pool/interview...how long did it take between the entering screening letter and the small pool notification?

entered screening 7/13, small pooled 7/25

hi! just got the small pooled email too!! does anyone know when invites get sent out?

Hey, does anyone know the answer to this? Or do we only get email notifications?
I don't think they have a status page, which really sucks. They only contact you via email, me thinks

No small pool email for me yet, and I also entered screening on the 18th...makes me kind of nervous. I keep checking my email hoping for some good news! Those of you small pooled, what kind of stats did you have?

No small pool email for me yet, and I also entered screening on the 18th...makes me kind of nervous. I keep checking my email hoping for some good news! Those of you small pooled, what kind of stats did you have?
Don't worry. It took me 12days (13th to 25th) to get small pooled. I had 3.4/36Q
Seems like others had to wait approximately 10days or more for small pool (except for the first batches)

I'm on the same boat. The waiting is killing me..!
good luck

i also enetered screening on the 18th, but no small pool yet =/

You guys will get small-pooled. I entered screening on 7/6 and was small-pooled a little later than some people who entered screening on the same day. They are priority-based, so those who submitted their applications earlier, got small-pooled earlier.

You guys will get small-pooled. I entered screening on 7/6 and was small-pooled a little later than some people who entered screening on the same day. They are priority-based, so those who submitted their applications earlier, got small-pooled earlier.

I hope you're right Peter!

Received secondary (07/02/2011)..... Complete (7/11/2011)....passed primary screening today (7/27/2011)

I am assuming I'm now in the "small" pool people are talking about? Though small is relative it appears.

edit: entered screening 7/13/2011 (for those wondering), took about 2 weeks to hear back.

Last edited:
Received secondary (07/02/2011)..... Complete (7/11/2011)....passed primary screening today (7/27/2011)

I am assuming I'm now in the "small" pool people are talking about? Though small is relative it appears.

lol i don't think thats a med school term but a SDN term....it definitely sounds like a large pool to me

Wonder when their invites come out this year. It seems 9/1 was the first day last year. Does anyone know how big the "small pool" is and what percentage get invited for an interview?

ok, i'm really confused. i just finally submitted my 2ndary...i think. except i pressed "enter" (I think) and it went to a page that said this:

" Thank you for your submitting your supplemental application and fee to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University. Your complete supplemental application is necessary for further consideration of your application. The final deadline for the supplemental application letters of evaluation and MCAT scores is December 1, 2011. Deadline extensions will not be permitted. We recommend you complete your application as soon as possible to be given the earliest consideration."

This also came by email with my pdf attached (i hadn't seen the pdf before i pressed enter though) -- there's nothing else for me to do correct? It just makes it sound like there's still stuff for me to do (I already sent them my letters through AMCAS, but I guess I just wait for an email saying I'm complete and entering initial screening?).

I just wanted to confirm I don't have to MAIL in the pdf or anything...and also I wonder if the adcoms get electronic versions of the pdf so that they can see my whole essays (the text box is like...1 paragraph long, lol). Cuz there's an "expand" symbol on the pdf but they don't actually expand.

ok, i'm really confused. i just finally submitted my 2ndary...i think. except i pressed "enter" (I think) and it went to a page that said this:

" Thank you for your submitting your supplemental application and fee to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University. Your complete supplemental application is necessary for further consideration of your application. The final deadline for the supplemental application letters of evaluation and MCAT scores is December 1, 2011. Deadline extensions will not be permitted. We recommend you complete your application as soon as possible to be given the earliest consideration."

This also came by email with my pdf attached (i hadn't seen the pdf before i pressed enter though) -- there's nothing else for me to do correct? It just makes it sound like there's still stuff for me to do (I already sent them my letters through AMCAS, but I guess I just wait for an email saying I'm complete and entering initial screening?).

I just wanted to confirm I don't have to MAIL in the pdf or anything...and also I wonder if the adcoms get electronic versions of the pdf so that they can see my whole essays (the text box is like...1 paragraph long, lol). Cuz there's an "expand" symbol on the pdf but they don't actually expand.

You're done. They mean that they need your whole application (secondary, LOR, transcripts, payment) to be done by the deadline. It's just a friendly reminder. the message says that you submitted your secondary, so just make sure the other materials are done by the deadline :thumbup:

You're done. They mean that they need your whole application (secondary, LOR, transcripts, payment) to be done by the deadline. It's just a friendly reminder. the message says that you submitted your secondary, so just make sure the other materials are done by the deadline :thumbup:

They really should have worded the latter half of that email better. It reallly does sound like the OP hadn't submitted it yet, despite the initial "thanks for submitting it". Just my interpretation.

I'm stumped with RF's 2ndary prompts. I think I have the answer for the first question, but I'm not sure what to write for the second question.

Do you have guys have an idea what the prompt really means/asking you to write about (especially the key word inter professional) or how to get started with the essay? I feel like I won't be in the ballpark if I started talking about something else--especially the challenges I will face as doctor.
I guess I can talk about my experience in my lab where I have both MDs and PhDs working together or maybe between MDs and RNs/HCTs.

Last edited:
I'm stumped with RF's 2ndary prompts. I think I have the answer for the first question, but I'm not sure what to write for the second question.

Do you have guys have an idea what the prompt really means/asking you to write about (especially the key word inter professional) or how to get started with the essay? I feel like I won't be in the ballpark if I started talking about something else--especially the challenges I will face as doctor.
I guess I can talk about my experience in my lab where I have both MDs and PhDs working together or maybe between MDs and RNs/HCTs.

Interprofessional as in doctors, RNs, NPs, CNAs, techs, med company reps etc.

Per the Wikipedia article on RFU: "The interprofessional education approach used at Rosalind Franklin has been recognized for its importance for over 40 years. Each year students from all school are divided into small groups to learn how to work in a team setting to learn that interprofessionalism mean learning from, with and about one another."

If it were me, I would write about a clinical setting in which you worked with a variety of care providers. For example, in a hospital this can range from transporters, to RNs, to mid-levels, MDs, administrators, etc. From there, the prompt becomes fairly straightforward.

Yep. I talked about coordinating between members of the team, understanding one's responsibilities, and recognizing the limitations of one's knowledge.

Yep. I talked about coordinating between members of the team, understanding one's responsibilities, and recognizing the limitations of one's knowledge.

you gave me a heart attack because i only talked about one of those things. then i went back to read the prompt and it said describe your greatest challenge. i guess i took the question a little too literally.

you gave me a heart attack because i only talked about one of those things. then i went back to read the prompt and it said describe your greatest challenge. i guess i took the question a little too literally.

No, it did say greatest challenge so I'm sure you answered it correctly. There is no wrong answer to any of these questions. I touched upon all those issues but I did identify what I thought would be the greatest challenge based on prior experience.

Entered primary screening: 7/18
Passed primary screening: 7/29

Anyone know if there is a limit to how many letters we can send, i couldnt find this info out

Is anybody having the problem with submitting the secondary. I tried 4 times and I am getting error and not able to submit. Pl let me know.

Is anybody having the problem with submitting the secondary. I tried 4 times and I am getting error and not able to submit. Pl let me know.

i had that problem too. i tried calling and no one picked up. i emailed them, no one responded. but then i just didn't attach a picture (i tried a variety of formats and sizes) and then it worked. hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.