2011-2012 University at Buffalo (SUNY) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same situation, complete about a week later. I wouldn't worry, its a long process

From what I hear... UB randomly reviews... current students (and a friend of mine who spoke to Mr.Rosso at admissions) claim that there is no order to their review process.

but obviously those with amazing stats will stick out first.

Members don't see this ad.

If you take a plane and arrive at Niagara International Airport, you can take a taxi to Buffalo South Campus for 22 dollars. But if you have time, it is significantly cheaper to take the bus. It's 2 dollars and a 1 hour ride on the 47 bus but if money is an issue, it is the better option, especially since the bus stops right outside the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it makes anyone feel better, a very large chunk of my class interviewed in February - April.

That doesn't make me feel any better. The weather sucks there in February - April (or at least march)

just received interview invite for Oct. 12th! I'm an MD/PhD applicant. I was complete on Sept. 6th. Anyone else here applying for their MD/PhD program??

Got my first interview invites this morning! One was Buffalo. For your references, I was complete around Sept 7th, 3.7ish, 36.

Did someone say they only do interviews on Wednesdays?

Got my first interview invites this morning! One was Buffalo. For your references, I was complete around Sept 7th, 3.7ish, 36.

Ehhh...I hope not! I can't make Wednesdays haha.

Do you think I should send an in the area email?

Bleh, Wednesdays...

The date they gave me is Oct 12th, but would it be completely ridiculous for me to want to reschedule during my winter break from late Dec to Jan? I'd rather not have to miss classes if I can help it... or would that just be a terrible idea haha...

Are you instate or OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Bleh, Wednesdays...

The date they gave me is Oct 12th, but would it be completely ridiculous for me to want to reschedule during my winter break from late Dec to Jan? I'd rather not have to miss classes if I can help it... or would that just be a terrible idea haha...

Yes, that would be a terrible idea. Definitely go to your scheduled interview.

It's that bad of an idea to try to reschedule?

Well, if there is an important reason, it would be alright to try and switch it for a similar date (like one Wednesday earlier/later). Asking for a much later date, like December or January would definitely not be recommended. If you call the office, Mr. Rosso is always helpful.

If you are just worried about missing some school, talk to your professors, I'm sure they'll work with you.

My first interview invite!!!! Extremely excited!!!

Complete on 9/5, got an interview invite today via email. I'm really surprised how quickly I received an offer from this school. I really can't believe I'm going to be flying to NY! I applied to 5 schools out there, so hopefully I hear from some others soon as I really don't have the money to go back and forth. oh well, stoked for this!

btw, Cali resident, 3.67 cGPA, 3.5 SGPA, 39R MCAT (14/11/14)

Complete on 9/5, got an interview invite today via email. I'm really surprised how quickly I received an offer from this school. I really can't believe I'm going to be flying to NY! I applied to 5 schools out there, so hopefully I hear from some others soon as I really don't have the money to go back and forth. oh well, stoked for this!

try an in the area email to the other schools to minimize costs
they know that they're not the only school you're applying to so sometimes they will be accommodating

Congrats! I'm sure that there will be many more invites in your future.......

Well, if there is an important reason, it would be alright to try and switch it for a similar date (like one Wednesday earlier/later). Asking for a much later date, like December or January would definitely not be recommended. If you call the office, Mr. Rosso is always helpful.

If you are just worried about missing some school, talk to your professors, I'm sure they'll work with you.

You're so right, lol, dang not sure what I was thinking... Thanks for the insight. :)

try an in the area email to the other schools to minimize costs
they know that they're not the only school you're applying to so sometimes they will be accommodating

ahh I have so many questions, I hate feeling lost all the time in this application process =[

I'm in the process of NYU's and Mt. Sinai's now, so I won't be sending them anything, but I finished NYMC (9/3), Rochester (9/8), and Einstein (9/14). Do you think it would be too early in the process to email these three schools asking for an "in the area" interview?

Plane ticket + hotel is coming out to $500. This is crazy! Should I maybe call Buffalo and ask if I can have a later interview date so I can try to knock out more interviews at once? I'd be grateful for any advice on how others maneuvered this expensive process. Is there a specific place I should go for a loan?

I'm in the process of NYU's and Mt. Sinai's now, so I won't be sending them anything, but I finished NYMC (9/3), Rochester (9/8), and Einstein (9/14). Do you think it would be too early in the process to email these three schools asking for an "in the area" interview?

Where are you flying from? I don't know that I'd consider Buffalo 'in the area' with respect to NYC (it's about a 6 1/2 hour drive). Also, I'm not a huge fan of 'in the area' emails anyway as I find them to be presumptuous and off-putting (of course I'm not an AdCom so take my opinion for what it's worth).

ahh I have so many questions, I hate feeling lost all the time in this application process =[

Plane ticket + hotel is coming out to $500. This is crazy! Should I maybe call Buffalo and ask if I can have a later interview date so I can try to knock out more interviews at once? I'd be grateful for any advice on how others maneuvered this expensive process. Is there a specific place I should go for a loan?

maybe rochester since it's close but nymc and einstein are far away (valhalla and the bronx). a ticket from buffalo to nyc is like 100 dollars so there's really no point but don't let me tell you what to do.

I might be sending an in the area email to buff - im going to upstate and rochestor soon.

Where are you flying from? I don't know that I'd consider Buffalo 'in the area' with respect to NYC (it's about a 6 1/2 hour drive). Also, I'm not a huge fan of 'in the area' emails anyway as I find them to be presumptuous and off-putting (of course I'm not an AdCom so take my opinion for what it's worth).

I'm flying from California so its a cross country flight for me. Since I submitted so recently, I don't know if in the area emails are gonna go very well, but maybe I'll send one to rochester. It looks like I'm gonna have to bite the bullet this time.

I have friends that attend Buffalo and they say it's closer to 8 :(

Ive driven to buffalo from NYC - its around 7:30; its very variable though, depending on traffic.

I usually drive overnight so traffic isn't as much of an issue, I can usually do it in 6h 30 without speeding. Traffic can add several hours though.

Any recommended hotels nearby? I am not at home so I haven't been able to check the list of suggested ones. Can anyone post them?

Thanks!

That's great! I'm a bay area resident too and I'll be flying out there tomorrow! Best of luck to you! When is your interview?

That's great! I'm a bay area resident too and I'll be flying out there tomorrow! Best of luck to you! When is your interview?

My interview is set for Oct. 12th, although I'm debating asking to reschedule just for some extra time to hear from Rochester about an in the area interview. Have a safe flight and good luck tomorrow! Rock that interview! Oh and btw, let me know if you have any hotel/transportation recommendations, it would be much appreciated!

oh never mind....just submitted secondary...hopefully good news soon :)

If you have received an "application complete" email from this school, yet 1 or 2 of your letter writers have not submitted letters, will they wait until those letters are received or just review application as is??

Just received my rejection letter....oh well :(

Good luck to everyone else still in the running!!

Received Interview Invite this morning!

Does anyone have any recommendations on which hotel to stay at and is near to the south campus?

The Buffalo Marriott is usually a safe bet, and it's not that far from south campus, maybe a 10 minute drive at the most.

Also, have you looked into the student hosting program?

Got an interview invite yesterday! I was complete 9/12. Does anyone know if the interviews are blind or if the interviewers have read our apps?

Interviewed at Buffalo recently and LOVED it!

:xf:

Got an interview invite yesterday! I was complete 9/12. Does anyone know if the interviews are blind or if the interviewers have read our apps?

interviewers have read your file and the pop essay that you write during lunch.

Got an overbooked email for october 5th... so I rescheduled! I'm such a nice guy.

Got an overbooked email for october 5th... so I rescheduled! I'm such a nice guy.

Cool, it actually shouldn't matter when you interview, since the odds of acceptance don't change from week to week.

For anyone that is interviewing on the 5th, I'll be having lunch with you guys.:)

Cool, it actually shouldn't matter when you interview, since the odds of acceptance don't change from week to week.

For anyone that is interviewing on the 5th, I'll be having lunch with you guys.:)

Yes I know... thank you.

I have been trying to do some research about the curriculum at Buffalo but have been unsuccessful. Can someone tell me a little bit about the curriculum there. Is it traditional lecture based, organ systems approach, block, a combination of the above etc...

I have been trying to do some research about the curriculum at Buffalo but have been unsuccessful. Can someone tell me a little bit about the curriculum there. Is it traditional lecture based, organ systems approach, block, a combination of the above etc...

Here's a slightly outdated link about the curriculum, but it is pretty much still the same: http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/ome/ome_curriculum_ic.htm

Anyway, it's organ systems based, and lectures/labs usually go from 8am to 1pm most days of the week, which is nice.

Gross anatomy runs for the entire first semester, and Clinical practice of medicine runs for all of first and second year. Everything else is a module that runs for a certain number of weeks until it's done. Most exams are purely multiple choice. Gross exams are all lab practicals, and they are challenging.

All lectures are video recorded, and the links are posted within an hour of each lecture ending (lecture attendance is mostly optional, but most of my class still goes regularly).

Hope that helps a little bit.:)

Hi Guys,

I just received my UB App. Complete email this past Monday (9/26), yet when I checked my application status this evening (9/30) it showed

>.<

I hate to ask the obvious, but does this meet that the admissions comm. already reviewed my app on such a short notice? If so, ouch!

Status
Not open for further replies.