2011-2012 West Virginia University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know whether or not west virginia accepts update letters or letters of interest post interview? currently waitlisted and OSS.

did they say why you were waitlisted. I remember them saying they will tell us why they rejected us

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received my acceptance via snail mail on Saturday! Feels very good!

Of course they accept updates, and they love to receive them. I would even make it like an update letter / letter of intent.
WolverineO, they definitely don't tell people why they got WL. And I highly doubt that they explain anyone's rejection in much detail either. But here is the thing: ALL OOS candidates get WL post interview. It is the rule. However, some applicants receive their acceptance only 2-3 weeks after being placed on the WL while others wait for months. Consequently, no OOS applicant should be surprised or discouraged by a WL message a couple weeks after their interview!

1990, Congtats! But getting into WVU SOM and saying that it merely feels "very good"...... No, my friend, very good doesn't cut it. It must feel AWESOME!!! :)

Of course they accept updates, and they love to receive them. I would even make it like an update letter / letter of intent.
WolverineO, they definitely don't tell people why they got WL. And I highly doubt that they explain anyone's rejection in much detail either. But here is the thing: ALL OOS candidates get WL post interview. It is the rule. However, some applicants receive their acceptance only 2-3 weeks after being placed on the WL while others wait for months. Consequently, no OOS applicant should be surprised or discouraged by a WL message a couple weeks after their interview!

1990, Congtats! But getting into WVU SOM and saying that it merely feels "very good"...... No, my friend, very good doesn't cut it. It must feel AWESOME!!! :)

how do you know its the rule?

Yes, it is. As far as I know, WV State government requires our school to WL every OOS applicant, in order to allow a "better look" at IS applicants.

Yes, it is. As far as I know, WV State government requires our school to WL every OOS applicant, in order to allow a "better look" at IS applicants.

There were definitely OOS people who got accepted outright earlier in the thread... maybe they were put as "WL" for a short time, but it didn't seem like they were notified about being WL at any point. There was one person I recall on the thread who got WL and accepted within one week though.

I believe that this is exactly the case. Exceptionally strong OOS applicants seem to get accepted very quickly from the WL. For this reason, it seems to them like it was an outright acceptance, while in reality it wasn't. These guys probably were put on the WL for just a couple of days to fulfill the formality. So, all I am trying to say is: WL at WVU doesn't mean bad news, because a) everyone gets on it and b) WL really moves, especially in the Spring and Summer.

Good to know. That's what I was figuring. Thank you, Fortress :cool:

Does anyone know if out of state students can claim wv residency after the first year?

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish we could :( To become a resident you have to live and work in WV for at least 1 year before you matriculate. Otherwise you are stuck as OOS for all 4 years.

That's unfortunate. Does this rule still apply even if you are able to show that you are supporting yourself, perhaps by having a job in medical school?

I'm definitely not going to be working, just curious.

Hokie, I don't think so. The only 2 possible loopholes are the following a) you are married and your spouse becomes a resident; a couple years later you ask for a residency status change b) you have some close relatives in WV. But even then you may still get rejected.
Oh, yea, speaking of having a job while in medical school. Out of 114 people in my class only 1 guy had a part time job during the first 3 months of the first year. But if you are still curious please try and tell us later how it went :D

Haha oh man, no surprises there. I definitely won't be working

+2, and OOS. Waitlist notification received Saturday, 11/3.

Interviewed 11/11.

Getting this WL notification is tougher, I think, than receiving a WL from a lot other schools. It's just potentially much more cryptic.

If (as stated earlier in the thread) every OOS interviewee is waitlisted, at least for a short time, this notification could potentially mean anything in the spectrum. It could feasibly mean that we're a top priority and are going to receive an acceptance letter very soon or it that we aren't as high on their list and it could be July or August before receiving final news ..

** Fortress -- (1) your thoughts on potentially improved chances of acceptance when placed on the waitlist this early (relatively) in the cycle?

(2) Also, can higher priority/more impressive applicants who interview later on in the cycle be placed higher on the waitlist than those who have been on it for some time? Or does everyone who gets placed on the WL sort of carry equal acceptance weight, and they're placed chronologically ..

(3) Do any OOS kids get outright rejected, post-interview? I feel like my instincts are telling me, no ..

I'm sure anyone who interviewed got the pamphlet with the stats of the class of 2015, but I thought I'd share since I found it pretty interesting... for those on the WL, I'd say just be patient... I have a friend (IS male) who got in off WL last year in March and OOS male who got in late June.. anything can happen...

OOS:
Male - 1405 apps, 159 interviewed, 59 offers extended, 34 offers accepted (37% acceptance rate post interview)

Females - 1064 apps, 89 interviews, 38 offers extended, 11 offers accepted (43%)

IS:
Males - 100 apps, 64 interviews, 48 offers, 39 offers accepted (75%)
Females - 79apps, 49 interviews, 40 offers, 31 offers accepted (82%)

Hello guys! LadyRugger, nice! I am pretty sure that these numbers will be very similar for the class of 2016. My class of 2014 is also composed of about 60% IS and 40% OOS. However, looking at these stats we have to remember: many applicants, who ended up on the WL, decided to attend their state schools even before they received news from WVU. Others never made it of the WL and were eventually rejected. But overall it means that 37% "acceptance rate" in reality is higher! So, everyone on the WL, take a deep breath :)
Hokie, yes some OOS (and IS) people get outright rejected, but it happens pretty rarely. While placed on the WL you are being given a number (your rank), and, as far as I know, there is nothing you can do to change it. However............ you can still send them your letters of intent. It will not change your score, but it will put you above those with the same score. At WVU it doesn't really matter when you were interviewed. If someone interviews in February gets a higher score, that applicant will get off the WL sooner than you. But you don't know where you are; you maybe ahead of those that interviewed in October.

Guys, I can't overemphasize how important it is to continue volunteering/doing research/shadowing and updating the school about it. They love to hear from you!

Fortress, thanks for the update! Even though I might not know where I stand, it truly helps to know how the process works.

I have in fact written a LOI, and I plan on sending my fall grades in as well. In your opinion, would it be too much if I also sent a letter with my fall grades detailing my plans for the spring semester? I am planning on continuing to work at my ambulance corps and volunteering at a local, free health clinic.

Hokie, at this particular moment, if I were in your situation (and I was a couple years ago), I would hold my horses with the LOI. Unless your Fall grades are awesome, and the only thing that is bothering you is your GPA.
Right now we have a series of exams coming. Let me get back to you after next Friday, Dec. 16th. I will share some of my ideas about the WL at WVU, and how to play your cards right in this situation.

Fortress, sounds great! Thanks again. Good luck studying

I am OOS and did not receive any notice of being placed on a WL. I interviewed October 20 and was accepted November 7. Maybe I was placed on an internal WL and was only notified when I was accepted?

I am OOS and did not receive any notice of being placed on a WL. I interviewed October 20 and was accepted November 7. Maybe I was placed on an internal WL and was only notified when I was accepted?

Jmac, look at the previous post and explanation of your situation, as several others have experienced it also. Congratulations, by the way

Jmac, look at the previous post and explanation of your situation, as several others have experienced it also. Congratulations, by the way

Thank you! I read the previous posts, just wanted to add my situation to the discussion. I am sure there will be a lot of movement on the WL – it is still early. I hope you acceptance is on its way!

Your MCAT score and GPA sort of tells me why you were an exception and heard back so quickly lol.

Got rejection letter post interview. OOS 32M 3.86

Thank you! I read the previous posts, just wanted to add my situation to the discussion. I am sure there will be a lot of movement on the WL – it is still early. I hope you acceptance is on its way!

Jmac, my fault - I thought you were unaware. Thank you, I really hope so too. Maybe I will have the pleasure of meeting you one day.

Duon - I'm really sorry to hear that. However, I've said it once before and I'll say it again I promise you that you are in a much better position than I am this cycle. Keep your head up, you've got this. If I remember correctly, you have at least one additional interview in January.

Last edited:
Jmac, my fault - I thought you were unaware. Thank you, I really hope so too. Maybe I will have the pleasure of meeting you one day.

Duon - I'm really sorry to hear that. However, I've said it once before and I'll say it again I promise you that you are in a much better position than I am this cycle. Keep your head up, you've got this. If I remember correctly, you have at least one additional interview in January.

Thanks lol.
Probably I wont get in there (January interview) either.
I have D.O. interview on Feb. Most likely that is my best bet.

Good luck with your application Hokie!! ^^ and thanks for the encouragement.

Hello Hokie! Yesterday I met with a doctor who is an adcom in our school, and asked him some questions about the WL. Here is what I found:
1) There are two separate waitlists for IS and OOS applicants. They move independently from each other, and every new class is 40% OOS and 60% IS. Well, I guess, that is not news for anyone.
2) Like I said before, interviewing earlier gives no real advantage on the WL. Your priority score at this point is written in stone and no letter of intent, an additional extra-curricular and so on can change it.
3) All people on the WL are being divided into separate sub-groups according to their scores. It means that these numbers are discrete rather than continuous. Who gets accepted first from a new batch with equal scores? The ones who showed the most interest meanwhile. That is where your great letter will kick in.
4) The last day that WVU SOM extends acceptances is July 31st.
5) Rejection letters practically have no information about the reasons. However, it is absolutely fine to contact the school and ask them for an advice on improving your application. According to the doctor I talked to, if an applicant does what he/she was advised and reapplies in a timely manner the likelihood of being accepted is close to 100%! I asked him specifically about the MCAT, since I feel this is the most troublesome area for the majority of applicants. His response was along these lines: "a two point increase will make a HUGE difference, and we consider bio section performance as the most valuable predictor of one's success as a medical student; unlike what many applicants believe, VR is the least important of the three".
6) I inquired if it would be a good idea for someone on the WL to start something new. The reply was a "yes", as long as this new activity a) lasts for a reasonable amount of time (a couple of months rather than a couple of weeks) and b) will be effectively presented in a letter. In the end we both agreed that new information is typically more likely to impress the committee rather than "same old, same old". Just make sure to give your new activity a great description and the right spin.

Well, I think this all I have for now. Please don't hesitate to ask me any more questions if you happen to have any.

Last edited:
Hey guys, I would like to add that there is a great documentary about doctors from Harvard available on line. It is called "doctors diaries". Maybe some of you will even change their mind about going into medicine before it is too late. :p
Here is the link:
http://video.pbs.org/video/1114402491/

Fortress, thank you for remembering me! I really appreciate you taking the time to write that response for me - it definitely helps shed more light on WVU-SOM's post-interview protocols, so to speak.

Thanks again! Huge help

IS, interviewing tomorrow morning. Anyone else going to be there tomorrow?

2) Like I said before, interviewing earlier gives no real advantage on the WL. Your priority score at this point is written in stone and no letter of intent, an additional extra-curricular and so on can change it.
3) All people on the WL are being divided into separate sub-groups according to their scores. It means that these numbers are discrete rather than continuous. Who gets accepted first from a new batch with equal scores? The ones who showed the most interest meanwhile. That is where your great letter will kick in.

A few questions:

Is there any way to know (or figure out) your priority score? Do you know if they use different wording in the WL letter to show their interest in you? Does everyone get the exact same WL letter?

My letter said the committee was "favorably impressed, and at this time your application is placed on our waitlist".

This sounds pretty positive, but I was just wondering if this is what they tell everyone? Anyone get anything different?

Thanks!

A few questions:

Is there any way to know (or figure out) your priority score? Do you know if they use different wording in the WL letter to show their interest in you? Does everyone get the exact same WL letter?

My letter said the committee was "favorably impressed, and at this time your application is placed on our waitlist".

This sounds pretty positive, but I was just wondering if this is what they tell everyone? Anyone get anything different?

Thanks!

I got the same thing. They probably say that to everyone.

Has anybody who interviewed in December hear anything yet?

I interviewed December 21 and haven't heard anything yet. But they did tell me it might be later in January with the break and everything. I did get an AAMC background check e-mail randomly today, but that is probably Marshall checking me. When did you interview nmadhun?

I interviewed December 21 and haven't heard anything yet. But they did tell me it might be later in January with the break and everything. I did get an AAMC background check e-mail randomly today, but that is probably Marshall checking me. When did you interview nmadhun?

I received the same e-mail. I think the background check related to Marshall. While WVU does perform a CBC through its own vendor, it doesn't appear on the Certiphi/AAMC service participating schools list.

Just got my acceptance letter this evening! IS, interviewed 12/21.

Thanks! Now all that's left is to decide where to go. :p

Congrats on the acceptance. May I ask what your stats were?

Status
Not open for further replies.