2012-2013 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried it--you can't.

Members don't see this ad.

Interview Invite! First available was 11/30. So late!

Edit: forgot to add. Complete 07/10

Last edited:
I'm planning to arrive at JFK airport around 11:20pm the night before my interview day. Does anyone know if it's safe to take monorail to Jamaica station and then LIRR to Hempstead at that time ? After arriving at Hempstead, I will take cab to hotel. How long does it take if I go by this route ?

On the other hand, I'm also contemplating to take cab from JFK airport directly to the hotel (possibly Marriott). Does anyone have any ideas how much this can cost ?

P.S: the third option I'm thinking of is to rent a car. Do you think this option is worse than taking the cab ? Because it will be late night, I'm trying to find the most economical method to get from JFK to the hotel in the least amount of time so that I can get to sleep as early as possible.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to everyone on the interviews!

Does anyone know if they send out secondaries before verification? I'm kind of late bloomer--I submitted my AMCAS in early August so I won't be verified until later this month probably :(

Interview Invite today! Submitted my secondary on July 3rd but never received a complete e-mail. The only available dates I saw were in December but that might be good for me since I have family in NY I'll probably just stay all of winter break! :)

I'm planning to arrive at JFK airport around 11:20pm the night before my interview day. Does anyone know if it's safe to take monorail to Jamaica station and then LIRR to Hempstead at that time ? After arriving at Hempstead, I will take cab to hotel. How long does it take if I go by this route ?

On the other hand, I'm also contemplating to take cab from JFK airport directly to the hotel (possibly Marriott). Does anyone have any ideas how much this can cost ?

P.S: the third option I'm thinking of is to rent a car. Do you think this option is worse than taking the cab ? Because it will be late night, I'm trying to find the most economical method to get from JFK to the hotel in the least amount of time so that I can get to sleep as early as possible.

The only "unsafe" part is walking alone in Hempstead at night (and you'll find that most of us at Hofstra have done that at least once or twice if not more often); as long as you're taking a cab once you get to the train station and you don't go wandering off into Jamaica while waiting for a train, you're good. That being said, I've never actually done it before so I can't offer first-hand-experience in that way, just my knowledge of LI.

Ollie's is probably the most popular airport service around, in my experience they're more expensive than a cab (which should be available at the airport 24/7) but less expensive than a "fine" car service (i.e. a towncar) and very reliable. Then again I've never taken a yellow cab all the way out to LI I have no clue if they charge more for leaving NYC. Here's the website for Ollie's reservations:

http://www.olliestaxi.com/Reservations.html

You can make a reservation online, but more relevantly it lists some phone numbers you can call to get an idea of the price.

The only "unsafe" part is walking alone in Hempstead at night (and you'll find that most of us at Hofstra have done that at least once or twice if not more often); as long as you're taking a cab once you get to the train station and you don't go wandering off into Jamaica while waiting for a train, you're good. That being said, I've never actually done it before so I can't offer first-hand-experience in that way, just my knowledge of LI.

Ollie's is probably the most popular airport service around, in my experience they're more expensive than a cab (which should be available at the airport 24/7) but less expensive than a "fine" car service (i.e. a towncar) and very reliable. Then again I've never taken a yellow cab all the way out to LI I have no clue if they charge more for leaving NYC. Here's the website for Ollie's reservations:

http://www.olliestaxi.com/Reservations.html

You can make a reservation online, but more relevantly it lists some phone numbers you can call to get an idea of the price.

Thank you very much for these helpful advices.:)

Anyone have any idea how many people they've interviewed/accepted the past few years?

I had to withdraw my application because of family health reasons. My family needed money and I couldn't afford to give my paychecks and pay to attend this interview. I did the only thing I could think of, which was to give my family the money to help them out. There should now be/will be a 10/29 interview slot open for a little. I hope one of you will be able to use it.

I had to withdraw my application because of family health reasons. My family needed money and I couldn't afford to give my paychecks and pay to attend this interview. I did the only thing I could think of, which was to give my family the money to help them out. There should now be/will be a 10/29 interview slot open for a little. I hope one of you will be able to use it.

no interview invite here yet, but I hope everything works out for you, hang in their bro

:( Good luck in your other interviews. Hang in there, you have a great app.

Interview Invite today! My second in two days, I seem to be getting lucky recently.

OOS, Complete 8/11

Can someone please provide the character limit for hofstra's secondary? Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite and I'm so excited! my stats: IS, 3.3/34Q

Granted you can prove that you are who you are and that you got an interview invite, if you started an IndieGogo campaign I would donate and I think other SDNers would help too. I don't make much money but I can spare $10-20 for someone who worked hard enough to get a medical school interview but struck some bad luck. Of course people would have to be confident you weren't scamming us. I'd say it's worth a shot.

Shoot me a PM if you consider it, I bet you reddit's r/premed could scrounge up enough for a flight.

Last edited:
Interview invite today! Scheduled for Nov 14 (I think someone dropped their date - thanks to them). Complete 08/16. Found out through status change NO email arrived so if you haven't gotten an invite it might be worth a look.... you never know.

Stats: OOS 3.5 cgpa 3.58 sgpa 36Q

Second invite, wicked excited- it's this and Pitt so far

Anyone hear back with anything besides an interview yet? Rejected, hold, anything like that?

Interview invite today.

OOS, Complete on 9/6/2012.

#excited!

Interview Invite! Complete 8/16, 3.88 cgpa, 3.80 sgpa, 32R.

Just so you all know, the first dates available are the week of December 10. They interview on MWF only, the day begins at 8 and ends at 2:30.

Has anyone interviewed here yet? What was the experience like?

Also, was doing a bit of reading, is it true that the earliest date they will make decisions by is January 1st?

Has anyone interviewed here yet? What was the experience like?

Also, was doing a bit of reading, is it true that the earliest date they will make decisions by is January 1st?
Looks like it (according to MSAR)

Can Anyone who interviewed today comment on their experiences?

Can Anyone who interviewed today comment on their experiences?

I'll be interviewing tomorrow, October 3rd. Will post after. Kind of excited. Going into it with an acceptance elsewhere, so I'm no longer super nervous.

I'll be there tomorrow as well. How do you have an acceptance before October 15? EDP?

I'll be there tomorrow as well. How do you have an acceptance before October 15? EDP?

It's a DO program. It's actually put me in a tough situation. I have to submit my non-refundable deposit by December 15th, which is why I was a little annoyed that Hofstra, at the earliest, sends out acceptances in January.

Ah. Well do DO programs refund your deposit as long as you finalize the decision by a certain date? Because then you could just rescind the deposit two weeks later.

Ah. Well do DO programs refund your deposit as long as you finalize the decision by a certain date? Because then you could just rescind the deposit two weeks later.

As far as I'm concerned, no. You submit everything by December 15th or you lose your spot. It's a $1000 non-refundable deposit, so it's quite the chunk of change. I guess depending on how tomorrow goes will determine how I feel about my DO spot.

II today, submitted 7/17. Earliest interview date is Jan 4th, 2013! Dang.

Interview Invite this morning!! My first one yet. Complete 9/16.

Anyone know approximately how many invitations they extend?

Interview Invite this morning!! My first one yet. Complete 9/16.

Anyone know approximately how many invitations they extend?
It seems to be variable...Their first year they sent out about 800 invitations, but I think last year the amount extended was closer to 650 invites.

For current students or those familiar with the area, would it be a ridiculous idea for me to try to commute from the Upper East Side to Hofstra the morning of the interview (starts at 8 am)? I can stay with a friend there and it would save me the cost of a hotel in Long Island.

For current students or those familiar with the area, would it be a ridiculous idea for me to try to commute from the Upper East Side to Hofstra the morning of the interview (starts at 8 am)? I can stay with a friend there and it would save me the cost of a hotel in Long Island.

Not ridiculous. Some people in our class commute from the city everyday for 8am class. Plan on waking up early, though.

Pretty fantastic experience interviewing here. Everyone was super friendly and down-to-earth. My two interviews were very conversational and low-stress. The medical school building is small, though they plan on expanding in December. Currently, they only have a couple of classrooms, a small eatery, offices and the structures lab, which is the anatomy lab. They have the Center for Learning and Innovation, which is a like 5-10 minutes away from the school, where they have all of their simulation men and standardized patient events. I'm from the PNW and thought the campus and area were great! It reminded me of the area where I currently live. Towards the end of the day, we had lunch with some of the students and they were all very happy about the program. I'm still a little unsure about the PBL approach, but they seem to have it structured pretty well. They give you everything you need so that you may structure your own approach to learning and that's reinforced through their PEARLS sessions that you have every week. I'm pretty stoked on Hofstra. I wasn't expecting much from the interview and came out of it completely sold on the school.

I believe they said they will be interviewing around 600 people for 80 spots, so it's going to be a bit competitive, but next year they've been given the green light to open up 100 spots, so it should become a bit easier as they grow.

Not ridiculous. Some people in our class commute from the city everyday for 8am class. Plan on waking up early, though.

My current plan is to get to Penn Station by 5:30 - 6:00 am, and catching the Ronkonkoma Train towards Farmingdale or Port Jefferson Train towards Huntington and getting off at Mineola. From there I can catch the Hofstra shuttle at 6:30ish to campus I think. Does that sound about right?

Hi! Any females interviewing 11/19 like to split hotel room with me night of the 18th? :)

No,catch the train to Hempstead. That is where the Hofstra shuttle comes.

II today, scheduled earliest available in January, OOS, >32, >3.6.

I too can't log in. And I have an II so don't despair, this isn't a passive aggressive rejection lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

I also can't log-in, good to know it's not a rejection.

Status
Not open for further replies.