2012-2013 Hofstra University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I too can't log in. And I have an II so don't despair, this isn't a passive aggressive rejection lol

Haha wonderful. Thanks for the heads up.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody interested in splitting a hotel room/ transportation back to the airport October 31st? Thanks.

I'm interviewing here soon, and I was wondering if anyone had any insight into the process. What was the interview like? What kind of questions did they ask? In one of my previous interviews at a different school, they gave you a map and you had to run around the city campus to find each of your interviewers on the fly. Does this school make you treasure hunt for your interviewers or is everything in one place? Thanks in advanced for your help.

Members don't see this ad :)
In one of my previous interviews at a different school, they gave you a map and you had to run around the city campus to find each of your interviewers on the fly.

That sounds like fun!

Interview Invite just now!!! OOS, complete 9/25 (so pretty fast turnaround). Earliest dates are in January already...ouch...

I am OOS with pretty average GPA/MCAT. I was thinking about adding this school, is it still worth applying here or is it already too late in the cycle?

I'm coming from UES too-- gonna take the LIRR arriving in hempstead at 7:30 (next one before that arrives at 6:20am..) then cab it to the campus from there. Looks like the campus shuttle doesn't run early enough to help us in the morning.

I'm coming from UES too-- gonna take the LIRR arriving in hempstead at 7:30 (next one before that arrives at 6:20am..) then cab it to the campus from there. Looks like the campus shuttle doesn't run early enough to help us in the morning.

Maybe I'm reading the shuttle schedule incorrectly, but that's why I was looking at taking the LIRR to Mineola (arrive ~6:30am) instead of Hempstead because the Hofstra shuttle leaves Mineola at 6:45 am? Otherwise, the shuttle does pick up at Hempstead starting at 7:30 am?

Interviewed about 3 weeks ago. Withdrawing application, got into one of my top choices. Hope somebody enjoys my slot!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really hope this school is receptive to good updates....

Update sent with mid term grades and a few zingers that express my continued interest. I am hoping to stir them up a bit and get them to look over my forgotten application again.

how do you know if your application has been forgotten? do they do silent rejections?

how do you know if your application has been forgotten? do they do silent rejections?

The question so important it had to be asked twice! I'd certainly like to know this, too. IS, 3.6 39 and complete since 8/13 and not a peep. I went to an info session in the spring and the building was so beautiful inside I would really hate not to interview here.

The question so important it had to be asked twice! I'd certainly like to know this, too. IS, 3.6 39 and complete since 8/13 and not a peep. I went to an info session in the spring and the building was so beautiful inside I would really hate not to interview here.

Forgotten in the sense that they are not currently thinking about me but now because of my update they are.... hopefully. I am in a masters program so I sent them a mid term update.

I think he meant to quote what I wrote to better get a response from me.

Hi everyone. I am withdrawing my application. My interview date is 10/26 so there should be a spot open for that date. Good luck!

II about 20 minutes ago! Complete 09/11, OOS, 3.4 31 mcat!

I am interviewing at Hofstra this Friday, 10/26. For those of you who have interviewed already, do you have any tips? What was the experience like? What kinds of questions did they ask?

It's my first interview and I'm quite nervous and excited.

I am interviewing at Hofstra this Friday, 10/26. For those of you who have interviewed already, do you have any tips? What was the experience like? What kinds of questions did they ask?

Check the interview feedback page for the school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

im interviewing that date too!

Interviewed at Hofstra recently and loved it- totally laid back interviews, really nice and interesting students, and of course, completely re-imagined curriculum that makes learning medicine a way more active, engaged process. Would be very happy to end up there.

Ahh so sorry if this is a dumb question, but could you please send me a link to that page? I can't seem to find it on sdn...

how many interviews for each applicant? one with faculty and another with student? open file? thanks

how many interviews for each applicant? one with faculty and another with student? open file? thanks
Two faculty interviews back to back... about 45 minutes each. Open file, very informal. Both of my interviews asked more questions about my family and where I'm from than going through each medical/work experience that I mentioned on my application. Very conversational and relaxed.

Just two, both with faculty, open file- my interviewers had both clearly read my application very thoroughly and mentioned items from my personal statement. There were no "tough" or "trick" questions- a few thing I had to think about a little bit but all very reasonable in the context of my application.

Just two, both with faculty, open file- my interviewers had both clearly read my application very thoroughly and mentioned items from my personal statement. There were no "tough" or "trick" questions- a few thing I had to think about a little bit but all very reasonable in the context of my application.

Two faculty interviews back to back... about 45 minutes each. Open file, very informal. Both of my interviews asked more questions about my family and where I'm from than going through each medical/work experience that I mentioned on my application. Very conversational and relaxed.

thank you! also do you know about the stats, like how many are they interviewing this year and acceptance rate of interviewees.

Questions for current students or those who have already interviewed:

I don't want to pay for a Long Island hotel, and my boyfriend lives in southern CT. The drive from his house to Hofstra is 2 hours. Would it be ridiculous of me to leave his house at 5 am for the 8 am interview? And does anyone know about the NYC traffic I could get stuck in? I've driven to NYC early before...but never Long Island. I'll probably end up booking a hotel, but I'm toying with the idea of just driving really early.

Speaking of hotels, has anyone stayed at the Red Roof inn nearby? It's cheaper than the Marriot. Is it safe?

THANKS!

To anyone who has interviewed and taken the LIRR to get to Hofstra - which train did you take? I see there is one getting in at 6:17 AM which seems super early, and one that arrives at 7:33 which seems to be cutting it kind of close... Getting up at 4:30 doesn't sound appealing to me but I'll do it if I have to in order to make it there in time...

Also, are there taxis at the station? Or does one have to call in advance? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

I don't want to pay for a Long Island hotel, and my boyfriend lives in southern CT. The drive from his house to Hofstra is 2 hours. Would it be ridiculous of me to leave his house at 5 am for the 8 am interview? And does anyone know about the NYC traffic I could get stuck in? I've driven to NYC early before...but never Long Island. I'll probably end up booking a hotel, but I'm toying with the idea of just driving really early.

Speaking of hotels, has anyone stayed at the Red Roof inn nearby? It's cheaper than the Marriot. Is it safe?

THANKS!

No don't do it.

Traffic from CT to NY and on Long Island is extremely unpredictable especially during rush hour. Play it safe and stay near the school.

THANKS!

I pricelined the Holiday Inn Westbury, which is like 3 miles away for $109. Free breakfast in the morning was delish!

Great thanks for the advice guys/gals.

II today. scheduled for 2/1/13. I was complete late august (around the 24th).

Status
Not open for further replies.