2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got my interview date and my official invite, and only one of my forms has been marked as received. So I don't think that having all of your forms in has to do anything with when you get your interview info.

Same here, I still need to get my Dean of Students form done. The other two have been sent, but only the legal disclosure has been marked as received.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people have been asking me if I have any ties to Indiana so I figured I'd post here to save myself some responses.

No I have no ties to Indiana. I've never actually been to that neck of the woods, though I've heard wonderful things.

Best of luck to everyone still waiting!

cj8

Called today and spoke to an admissions officer. My feeling from the conversation is if you're OOS this school REALLY emphasizes strong gpa, seems to weigh strong MCATs less heavily. Ties to the state aren't enough to make up for deficiencies in academic profile, and your extracurricular stuff are not super important. FYI
That is not true across the board. I got an interview and my GPA is in their 10th percentile, MCAT in their 60th percentile and I am OOS. Where I shine is in my EC's and graduate work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received official invite for September 12. Anyone else coming on this day?

Received official invite for September 12. Anyone else coming on this day?

I received the invite today as well. It still looks like they're still waiting on my dean of students form, though. :rolleyes:

None of my forms are in yet, even though I've requested the Dean's Evaluation Letter two weeks ago. I found out that my personal evaluations included with my committee letter will not be accepted, and I just requested a new letter. Does anyone know if the actual letters have to be in before the interview, or just the form indicating who wrote our LORs?

None of my forms are in yet, even though I've requested the Dean's Evaluation Letter two weeks ago. I found out that my personal evaluations included with my committee letter will not be accepted, and I just requested a new letter. Does anyone know if the actual letters have to be in before the interview, or just the form indicating who wrote our LORs?

I don't know if anything MUST be in before the interview. The email says: "The Admissions Committee asks that you have as many of your evaluations and references as possible in your folder before your interview."

If there are any current students out there that can give us any insight as to how the interview day goes it would be appreciated.

Hey all,

OOS applicant here. I just wanted to let you guys know that I had a nice talk with an Admissions person today about the LOR form (regarding three letters listed versus a committee letter with more letters). I explained that I have a lot of letters. She said that the only print the three letters indicated on the LOR form from a committee packet or regular packet. HOWEVER, the committee will have digital access to the entire letter packet (including the unprinted letters). When I asked if they look at all the letters, she told me that they usually do.

That said, I was careful to pick what I believe are going to be my best letters for the LOR form. A printed letter in the hand is probably more effective than something on a screen.

On a side note, did other people get the supplemental forms but not the interview invite email at the same time? It has been four days since I got the supplemental forms, but still no II; should I call about that?

sept 12th interview here as well, although I request my interview to be held in Muncie

On a side note, did other people get the supplemental forms but not the interview invite email at the same time? It has been four days since I got the supplemental forms, but still no II; should I call about that?

It took two weeks from when I got the supplemental forms until I got my official interview invite email. Give it a while longer before calling.

I just spoke to admissions today because my letters haven't been marked as "in" yet and they were mailed weeks ago. The lady said that they are extremely busy and they have tons of mail coming in right now. She said that we should call back a week before our interview if forms haven't been marked as received yet.

If there are any current students out there that can give us any insight as to how the interview day goes it would be appreciated.

Anybody, please? This would be great if anyone has any information to offer.

I am and OOS applicant and got the sept 12th interview. anybody know what the percentage is for acceptance is for an OOS applicant who get an interview? how many of their interviews are from OOS?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am and OOS applicant and got the sept 12th interview. anybody know what the percentage is for acceptance is for an OOS applicant who get an interview? how many of their interviews are from OOS?

According to the MSAR, IU interviewed 348 OOS applicants last year compared to 561 IS applicants. 52 OOS ended up matriculating at IU which is only 15% of those that interviewed, but IU probably accepted more than actually ended up attending, so I would imagine your chances of acceptance is higher than 15% but I can't tell you how high without knowing the exact number of acceptances given out.

Do you guys think the location that we asked to interview at could be why some of us haven't been scheduled yet? I asked for a Gary campus interview, and I still haven't been scheduled.

Do you guys think the location that we asked to interview at could be why some of us haven't been scheduled yet? I asked for a Gary campus interview, and I still haven't been scheduled.

It takes awhile for everyone. They send the secondary notice first so you have some time to get the paperwork in while they figure out your exact day/time.

It takes awhile for everyone. They send the secondary notice first so you have some time to get the paperwork in while they figure out your exact day/time.
It just seems weird, because it seems like a good number of people already got dates, and my paperwork is in.

It just seems weird, because it seems like a good number of people already got dates, and my paperwork is in.
I'm in the same boat as you. All the paperwork has been in for a few weeks and still waiting on a date for Gary. I have a feeling that they are just waiting for enough people to sign up for a Gary interview before they schedule a date.

I'm in the same boat as you. All the paperwork has been in for a few weeks and still waiting on a date for Gary. I have a feeling that they are just waiting for enough people to sign up for a Gary interview before they schedule a date.
OK, good, then I'm sure it's just a Gary thing. Alright, then.

Just checked my "Status of Requested Documents," and everything is marked as received! It took quite a while since I mailed them, so if anyone is still waiting to see those green check marks, just be patient, I'm sure they'll get to yours soon.

Does anyone know if they send the Dean's Evaluation straight to the school, or are week supposed to give it to the schools itself. People have said that's the only form they're waiting on so I was just wondering...

I believe you are supposed to give it to your dean and then the dean mails it to IU. At least that's the way I understood it and the way I did it.

You guys think this would be a good tie to wear to the interview?
indiana-university-block-and-play-b.jpg

Haha, just kidding.

For those interviewing soon, do you guys think we should bring something to take notes with?

For those interviewing soon, do you guys think we should bring something to take notes with?

I think so. I'm sure everything will be on handouts but it'll probably look much better if we're prepared to take notes about financial aid or other info if needed.

Just got my rejection from Indiana. For those that got an interview, would you mind sharing your stats so I can try to figure out where I"m lacking? Thanks.

Just got my rejection from Indiana. For those that got an interview, would you mind sharing your stats so I can try to figure out where I"m lacking? Thanks.

+1, rejected pre interview as well

Are you IS?

My stats are 3.58/3.48/29,35

This may be a bit premature but does anyone know the campus selection process works at IU? Is it first come, first serve once you get accepted or simply a lottery?

This may be a bit premature but does anyone know the campus selection process works at IU? Is it first come, first serve once you get accepted or simply a lottery?

I don't know the answer to your question (but it's a good question and I also want to know the answer), just wanted to say I like what you did there, heal/pray. I assume you will be trying for south bend campus?

I don't know the answer to your question (but it's a good question and I also want to know the answer), just wanted to say I like what you did there, heal/pray. I assume you will be trying for south bend campus?

Thanks! South Bend would definitely be my first choice but all of the sites seem to have their little niche. You thinking SB too?

I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck with your other schools.

IS applicant, 3.75 cum, 3.9 science, 34S, Post-bacc career changer.

I know that EDP applicants get to pick their campuses, but, apart from that, I think it's a lottery system

After you are accepted, you can give them your ranking of campuses, and they'll try to place you accordingly. The earlier you are accepted, the better your chance of landing your top choice campus. They do NOT make allowances for those who are married or own homes, so if it's late in the cycle & your top choice campus is full, you'll be placed elsewhere. If you are waitlisted and a spot comes open at a particular campus, you are placed at that campus.

Wish I was a current student able to offer insight. I got waitlisted for IU and am re-applying this year.

That being said, I am a fellow applicant who can offer insight :)

There are typically two interview sessions per day (morning and afternoon) with roughly 50 students per session. You will have one interview session with 2-3 interviewers. There is also a financial session and a general info session at the end. The order of the three may vary slightly depending on your interview time. There is no tour because the Indy campus is really spread out and with so many people in each session, I guess they deem it infeasible.

Some of the interviews take place in the same building as check-in, and some are a decent walk. If you are not familiar with the campus you should try to find your building the day before if possible. There will be directions printed for you, but if you are like me, the fewer things to stress about, the better.

With IU I felt like my interviewers were really nice and took a bit of time to get to know me, but IU is a big school so the info sessions and things are big and they shuttle a lot of people through.

Any other questions, feel free to ask (except maybe application advice, as I am obviously not the one to offer that! :thumbdown:). Hope that helps!

Thanks, also, these 2-3 interviewers, are they all at the same time and are they all faculty?

Thanks, also, these 2-3 interviewers, are they all at the same time and are they all faculty?

When they hand you your sheet, it'll say where your interview is taking place (mine was in Riley Hospital, right across the street) and Dr. So-in-So and/or Dr. What's-His-Face are your interviewers. You may have more than one, but both of my interviews were one-on-one (waitlisted twice). I had a faculty member/residency director once, and one of the Co-Chairs of the Admissions Committee for the other. You won't know who your interviewers are until you show up that morning.

Last edited:
When they hand you your sheet, it'll say where your interview is taking place (mine was in Riley Hospital, right across the stree) and Dr. So-in-So and/or Dr. What's-His-Face are your interviewers. You may have more than one, but both of my interviews were one-on-one (waitlisted twice). I had a faculty member/residency director once, and one of the Co-Chairs of the Admissions Committee for the other. You won't know who your interviewers are until you show up that morning.

Thanks!

When they hand you your sheet, it'll say where your interview is taking place (mine was in Riley Hospital, right across the street) and Dr. So-in-So and/or Dr. What's-His-Face are your interviewers. You may have more than one, but both of my interviews were one-on-one (waitlisted twice). I had a faculty member/residency director once, and one of the Co-Chairs of the Admissions Committee for the other. You won't know who your interviewers are until you show up that morning.

Come to think of it, I don't know what I was thinking with finding your building the night before. You can find where check-in is, but yeah, you don't know where your interview is until check in. Woops :oops:

Hey guys. I was invited for an interview on September 12 and confirmed the interview on the 20th of August. I just realized today that instead of emailing the office of admissions I accidentally replied to the person who sent me the interview invite (Ms. Allison Ade). Am I alright (would she also confirm my interview since she works in the office of admission?) or was I supposed to email the office of admissions exclusively.
Gosh I'm a little scared because the deadline to confirm for me was 8/27 and I just realized this today. I did email them back and called them but they were closed by that time and the voicemail said they won't be open again till Tuesday because of meetings .

Was there a lot of down-time and chatting with everyone between information sessions/check-in or was everyone busy listening to presentations most of the time? Also how many people are usually assigned to the same specific interviewer? (i.e. do 5 people go to an interviewer so you have some people to hang out with while you wait for your interview?)

Was there a lot of down-time and chatting with everyone between information sessions/check-in or was everyone busy listening to presentations most of the time? Also how many people are usually assigned to the same specific interviewer? (i.e. do 5 people go to an interviewer so you have some people to hang out with while you wait for your interview?)

I didn't really have that much down time; I arrived early and had 15-20 minutes to chit chat with other interviewers, and maybe 10 minutes waiting on the info session to start (although, I did take maybe 15 minutes to find my interview location immediately after getting my info packet). The assistant lead me to a small conference room while I waited for my interview time. My interviewer was already with one candidate, and I waited with the guy after me for maybe 5 minutes before I was called.

At last year's info session, one of the Co-Chairs said he spent the morning interviewing three candidates and would have three in the afternoon; I have no idea if it's the same for all of the interviewers or not.

Overall, the interview day seemed really relaxed. Jose Espada with Financial Aid is a great guy and he's pretty funny. The interview itself, for me anyway, was relaxed and conversational. My interviewers used the entire 45 minutes and were very friendly.

I didn't really have that much down time; I arrived early and had 15-20 minutes to chit chat with other interviewers, and maybe 10 minutes waiting on the info session to start (although, I did take maybe 15 minutes to find my interview location immediately after getting my info packet). The assistant lead me to a small conference room while I waited for my interview time. My interviewer was already with one candidate, and I waited with the guy after me for maybe 5 minutes before I was called.

At last year's info session, one of the Co-Chairs said he spent the morning interviewing three candidates and would have three in the afternoon; I have no idea if it's the same for all of the interviewers or not.

Overall, the interview day seemed really relaxed. Jose Espada with Financial Aid is a great guy and he's pretty funny. The interview itself, for me anyway, was relaxed and conversational. My interviewers used the entire 45 minutes and were very friendly.

Thanks for the insight! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.