2012-2013 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview Invite this morning!!! OOS check mdapps for stats

Little overwhelming with this whole process though since there are so many forms to fill out now. So once I email the admissions office with my location, they will just tell me an interview date or give me a couple choices? I'm thinking Gary since I live in Chicago and it will be really close and can miss less school, but then again I'd kind of like to see the main campus in Indy. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

They just give you a date in a few weeks and also from what I've heard theres not a tour at Indy anyway since the campus is so spread out. So might just be better to go to northwest in terms of convenience.

Has anyone who requested a Gary interview been given a date yet? I've been complete for almost a month and no word from the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite just a few minutes ago!!! First one, so excited. Stats are OOS, 34S, 3.96 gpa. Doing flips and cartwheels and a whole mess of other things

First II today! OOS 3.7 33O. Just got my MCAT score back on Tuesday so I was not expecting such a fast turn around.

Can anyone recommend a location to interview at for someone from NY, like which location would be the closest drive?

Probably the drive to JFK and getting aboard an airplane would be fastest :)

So what I'm gathering is I could interview sooner if I choose Indy because not enough people are choosing Gary?

I'll definitely be interviewing at Indy. It's a good hour closer for me than the other two sites.

^^ haha. Im from western NY and I don't have the financial means to buy a plane ticket at the moment. So I was planning to drive.

First Interview Invite!

Just to make sure, we only need to mail the first 3 items on the list (letter of evaluation, dean evaluation, and legal disclosure forms) to go on interview right?

and what should we do with committee letter on that letter of evaluation form again?

First Interview Invite!

Just to make sure, we only need to mail the first 3 items on the list (letter of evaluation, dean evaluation, and legal disclosure forms) to go on interview right?

and what should we do with committee letter on that letter of evaluation form again?

Yep, the first three and you're good to go.

I believe you just write out the names of whose letters you want to count on the recommendation letter form.

How long after submitting the location request does it typically take to find out the interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any one of your guys actually went to the dean's office for that evaluation? I went to a very large school, so it might be a challenge to ask the dean to complete an evaluation form. Anyone just asked their advisor to do it?

So it looks like the first interview day (for Indy, at least) is 9/12. I wonder how far apart the interview days are...

So it looks like the first interview day (for Indy, at least) is 9/12. I wonder how far apart the interview days are...

I think Irish is interviewing 9/5. But I think 9/12 is the second date for interviews.

Did any one of your guys actually went to the dean's office for that evaluation? I went to a very large school, so it might be a challenge to ask the dean to complete an evaluation form. Anyone just asked their advisor to do it?

My advisor had me send it to her and she said that her office would take care of it. I didn't have to lift a finger haha

^^ haha. Im from western NY and I don't have the financial means to buy a plane ticket at the moment. So I was planning to drive.

I'm not sure where exactly you are, but coming from the east, Muncie would be the closest campus to drive to, as it is on the east side of IN, where Indianapolis is in the middle and Gary is in the northwest. I plugged it into Google maps (from Jamestown, just picked a random city in west NY) and Muncie is like 7 hours and 10 minutes, where Gary and Indy are both 7 hours 30 minutes. So really, it's not going to make a huge difference, and it seems like the Indianapolis people are getting interview days quicker so that might be preferable.

I'm not sure where exactly you are, but coming from the east, Muncie would be the closest campus to drive to, as it is on the east side of IN, where Indianapolis is in the middle and Gary is in the northwest. I plugged it into Google maps (from Jamestown, just picked a random city in west NY) and Muncie is like 7 hours and 10 minutes, where Gary and Indy are both 7 hours 30 minutes. So really, it's not going to make a huge difference, and it seems like the Indianapolis people are getting interview days quicker so that might be preferable.

I appreciate you doing that for me. I did a similar search on google maps and decided on indy just because I would like to see the main campus. Hoping for figure out my date soon.

A few days to a couple weeks, in previous cycles.

Hmmmm. I received the email for supplemental material and to send in my interview location preference on Aug 7th - sent in the info Aug 8th. Paid the fee online and sent in the material via snail mail. I still do not have an interview date yet. I realize it may just take more time - but I'm curious if anyone else is in a similar situation?

Hmmmm. I received the email for supplemental material and to send in my interview location preference on Aug 7th - sent in the info Aug 8th. Paid the fee online and sent in the material via snail mail. I still do not have an interview date yet. I realize it may just take more time - but I'm curious if anyone else is in a similar situation?

I looked up my emails from last year, and it was exactly 4 weeks between the supplemental email to my interview date email.

I am going to cancel my interview to Indiana because I found out about the multi-campus business, along with the PBL and grading system. I would rather reapply next year for med school than be stuck at anything other than Indi, especially Muncie, Gary, or Pretentious Domerville.

Cool story bro

I am going to cancel my interview to Indiana because I found out about the multi-campus business, along with the PBL and grading system. I would rather reapply next year for med school than be stuck at anything other than Indi, especially Muncie, Gary, or Pretentious Domerville.

Good for you. Give your slot to someone who actually wants it. FYI, only around 150 of the 330 students are at the Indy campus for the first two years for each class.

Does anyone know if the interview is with a committee or just one person?

Does anyone know if the interview is with a committee or just one person?

When they hand you your sheet, it'll say where your interview is taking place (mine was in Riley Hospital, right across the street) and Dr. So-in-So and/or Dr. What's-His-Face are your interviewers. You may have more than one, but both of my interviews were one-on-one. I had a faculty member/residency director once, and one of the Co-Chairs of the Admissions Committee for the other. You won't know who your interviewers are until you show up that morning.

:)

Ok thank you! & so I will have two interviews?

On the letter of evaluation form I am unsure what box to check because my school does not have a premed committee. Should I just check the second option anyways?

Last edited:
Everyone interviewing tomorrow, are you guys ready? I'm excited to meet you all!

Haha Not sure about ready but definitely nervous! Good luck tomorrow everyone!

I feel pretty prepared, but I know I'll be nervous tomorrow when I get there. Best of luck to everyone!

I assume those who asked for the Gary campus still haven't gotten a date, right?

I walked through the atrium today and saw a few of you guys! Hope your interview day went well!

I know it was asked before (with no response), but does anyone know if there is a student hosting program for the night before your interview? Where did people who interviewed today stay? Thanks!

How was everybody's interview day?! I will be interviewing soon and I am unsure of what to expect

How was everybody's interview day?! I will be interviewing soon and I am unsure of what to expect

For me, it went really well I feel. Schedules vary between people but my check in was at 8:15a, and because I got there just in time (Aim to get there early if you aren't familiar with the area, I planned to get there 30min early but traffic made it so I was only about 5min early), there was a fairly decent line I had to wait in to get my materials (Interview location & directions + interviewer names, campus map, curriculum details). By the time I got those, it was time for the financial aid session (8:45a), and I thought that did a good job at explaining the options for paying for med school. That lasted about a half hour, which gave me 15 minutes to get to my interview location, which was plenty of time. My interview (9:30a) was in Fessler Hall right near the entrance, but I know some people had interviews in Riley Hospital, and I'm sure there were other locations as well. The interviewers were very friendly, and it was more of a conversation than them rapid firing questions at me. Everyone I talked to said that they felt the same way. It was not stressful at all, and as long as you prepare some beforehand, you should do fine. The start times of the interviews were set 45 minutes apart, and my interview took about 40 minutes. After that I had about an hour and a half break (others were being interviewed during this time) before the info session at 11:45a. This started with a presentation on admission stats, the curriculum, and differences at the regional campuses, but after that was finished, there was a panel of 4 students who had been on different campuses, and it was just open Q&A, and it was nice to hear info from a different perspective. That meeting lasted about an hour, and it was the last thing for me. Overall, the day left a very good impression on me, and I felt good coming out of it. I know this was a really long post, but I hope it gives you some idea of what to expect!

They told us to check-in at 12:15 so I made sure to get there by 12:00 (I drove in from ~3 hrs away). I arrived at check-in and hung around with some other interviewees in the atrium. The problem was that there was nothing to do but wait for nearly an hour until the information session began.

Finally, at 1:00 they walked us to another building (in the rain) to the information session. The session may have been more enjoyable if not for the fact that everybody was so nervous bc IU decides to do interviews at the end of the days! There were about 50-60 of us in the lecture room and we listened to one of the heads of the adcom give a presentation, followed by a Q & A session with a M1, M3, and M4. It was informative and interesting but the whole thing kind of felt more like factory, because there are so many applicants, rather than a more personal interview day.

Anyways, after the information session we walked all the way back to the first building for a financial aid session where they just told us about how much debt we're gonna rack up (but how in the end it is still a small investment in our future career). Again, the whole thing had a very nervous feel to it, especially bc some of us had interviews starting at 3 and we had to walk around the campus finding where our interview was (they gave us each a map telling us where to go).

My interview was at 3:45 so I had to sit outside someone's office for 45 minutes getting even more nervous before my interview started. I had 2 interviewers, they were both very nice but they were hard to read and kept the conversation very "professional." I did not have the same experience that others have mentioned. I found my questions a little more difficult and the interview did not have a "conversational feel." My interview lasted 45 minutes, and they asked me pretty much every "expected question" along with some unexpected ones. Whenever I answered, they both just nodded and wrote down notes. I was very nervous and I think it showed, but hopefully they understand that everybody is nervous and it's rarely a person's real comfortable self that they get to see. I don't know if they actually read my entire application beforehand because I was expecting them to ask more specific questions about my activities, etc, but instead all the questions were generic, why medicine, etc.. or about my grades.

Overall, I wish I had been a little more calm and collected during my interview but I think it went well. Good luck to all who will interview next!

I assume those who asked for the Gary campus still haven't gotten a date, right?

Just sent my email requesting Gary so hopefully they interview us soon! And we only need to send in the first three items before the interview right? Or do all items need to be in before the interview?

I had a question about sending thank you notes to the interviewers. I've heard from a few different sources that it's a good thing to do, and it certainly couldn't hurt, I don't think. I was wondering as to how to actually get it to them though, since we weren't given anything besides the interviewers names. Should I just send it to their name with c/o to the admissions office address? Are other people even doing this? Just wondered others thoughts.

Last edited:
I forgot to ask, was anybody here on SDN in the group that I was talking with during the wait at check-in about the Colts/Bears/Luck/(Packers grrr)?

Thanks for the info guys! I appreciate the feedback. It's nice knowing a little more of what to expect.

I had a question about sending thank you notes to the interviewers. I've heard from a few different sources that it's a good thing to do, and it certainly couldn't hurt, I don't think. I was wondering as to how to actually get it to them though, since we weren't given anything besides the interviewers names. Should I just send it to their name with c/o to the admissions office address? Are other people even doing this? Just wondered others thoughts.
From what I have heard this is something you should definitely do. I think the standard thing is to grab a business card on the way out which should have the address. Snail mail is preferred, but if you don't have an address I suppose a nice email will do.

To everyone waiting for an interview, be sure to check the status page. I've been complete for a while now and waiting on Gary with no email but my status page has my interview date. Just fyi.

I did not have the same experience that others have mentioned. I found my questions a little more difficult and the interview did not have a "conversational feel." My interview lasted 45 minutes, and they asked me pretty much every "expected question" along with some unexpected ones. Whenever I answered, they both just nodded and wrote down notes.

I absolutely agree. For the most part, I heard that interviews were really laid back, but I feel like I just got drilled with ethical questions for 45 minutes. It was pretty intimidating.

I absolutely agree. For the most part, I heard that interviews were really laid back, but I feel like I just got drilled with ethical questions for 45 minutes. It was pretty intimidating.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one. My interviewers were just so hard to read. Did anyone else who interviewed get any positive feedback from their interviewers? I just a got a "thanks for coming in, it was great meeting you," at the end.

Either of you care to share some specifics about your unexpected questions?

Wow. I was looking at the interview feedback from yesterday, and apparently, one of the questions was why not dentistry? I can answer for why not nursing, or PA, or social work, but that is a new one. How do you go about answering that?

Status
Not open for further replies.