2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview Invite this morning! Scheduled for Monday Sept 10. Can't wait!

congrats!! When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad.

II today!! Scheduled for 9/27 got a cheap flight too!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind posting your stats? Has anyone gotten an II so far with a <30 MCAT? They probably are offering II's to all the people with higher stats first....

cGPA 3.51 sGPA 3.55 30O URM

If you get an II should you respond to the email and say thank you for offering me blah blah?

If you get an II should you respond to the email and say thank you for offering me blah blah?

Nah. Its probably automated anyway. I think sending a card after your interview is polite though.

If it doesn't say "do not reply to this email" I would. I did that with a school a couple of weeks ago. A simple "Thank you" not to an ii but a question I asked that they responded to. I immediately got back a "Oh, you are welcome!" email. Which surprised me because the original email was impersonal so I didn't know there was a person behind it. Hey do what you can to help them remember you :D

finally complete! submitted 8/3.

question: although they only confirm receipt of my committee letter and two other letters, will they see and consider the additional letters that i assigned to them or is it just these three that show up on the status page?

question: although they only confirm receipt of my committee letter and two other letters, will they see and consider the additional letters that i assigned to them or is it just these three that show up on the status page?

I believe so, although it will NOT appear on the status page.

I assigned them 4 letters and they all show up on the status page

Members don't see this ad :)
when you say you are complete, did you receive a complete email or did your status page now display your LORs?

Thanks

My status page now displays LORs and secondary received and application is currently under review. No email.

Are you serious NYMC? Submitted 8/3 and still no update.

my interview is scheduled for September 13th :D. I got the invite this past Tuesday morning and was complete there on August 5th I believe

cGPA 3.63, sGPA 3.32, MCAT 31S, not sure if I'm a URM but I'm hispanic...

Congrats. Big fan of Archer btw.

also is anyone else VERY nervous for this MMI stuff? I just dont know what to expect!

Nah. MMI is awesome. You get to express your personality and actually talk about interesting medical topics, instead of the usual "Name an obstacle and how you overcame it" type questions you get at regular interviews.

also is anyone else VERY nervous for this MMI stuff? I just dont know what to expect!

I interview on Sept. 10th and I'm actually kind of excited for it. From what I've read from other students who have done MMIs at other schools, they really enjoyed the experience.

complete 8/7 but haven't heard..... getting nervous seems like they are going in order

ya this school is one of my top choices! complete 8/7 and haven't heard anything yet

I talked to admissions today and they basically said it takes a long time for them to process the apps because they have so many. They asked that we give them at least 4-6 weeks before we call in panicking about our complete status.

Does anyone have an interview in October?

Particularly between October 25-30?

Just to confirm, we know our applications are complete when our letters show up right?

Just to confirm, we know our applications are complete when our letters show up right?

I didn't know I was complete until I got an interview invite. That was a surprise!

I didn't really follow directions with the letters. I'm a non-trad and don't necessarily have all of the letters they're looking for, so I sort of assigned them randomly on the NYMC app.

Alright, thanks! Guess I'll just wait till my page has a change :).

I didn't know I was complete until I got an interview invite. That was a surprise!

I didn't really follow directions with the letters. I'm a non-trad and don't necessarily have all of the letters they're looking for, so I sort of assigned them randomly on the NYMC app.

ceasefire, when did you submit your app? I'm also non-trad and also have a random assortment of letters--but I don't know why I'm still not complete after submitting on 8/3. Originally I thought it may be because my letters were weird, but apparently this isn't the case...

ceasefire, when did you submit your app? I'm also non-trad and also have a random assortment of letters--but I don't know why I'm still not complete after submitting on 8/3. Originally I thought it may be because my letters were weird, but apparently this isn't the case...

Edit: Maybe they're intimidated by your MCAT? :D

Secondary Received/Submitted Aug 3
Found out I was actually complete Aug 6
Interview Invite Aug 22
Interview Scheduled for Sept 10

Edit: Maybe they're intimidated by your MCAT? :D

Secondary Received/Submitted Aug 3
Found out I was actually complete Aug 6
Interview Invite Aug 22
Interview Scheduled for Sept 10

haha don't be scared! :) Thanks for the info. and CONGRATS on the interview. It's so SOON!

haha don't be scared! :) Thanks for the info. and CONGRATS on the interview. It's so SOON!

They allow you to select from a group of dates and don't assign you without an opportunity to change, unlike some other places...(Tulane, I'm talking to you!).

Question - I'm going to be on the East Coast in mid-November. Do you think it's better to:

1. Do the NYMC interview as early as possible (in early October) for better chances of an acceptance

2. Schedule it in mid-Nov. (1.5 months after the earliest available interview) and save a lot of money.

Basically, how much does an early interview really help you? does one month this early in the cycle really matter?

Question - I'm going to be on the East Coast in mid-November. Do you think it's better to:

1. Do the NYMC interview as early as possible (in early October) for better chances of an acceptance

2. Schedule it in mid-Nov. (1.5 months after the earliest available interview) and save a lot of money.

Basically, how much does an early interview really help you? does one month this early in the cycle really matter?

An interview before January is pretty great either way. In my opinion I would save the money and take the later slot, but more experienced applicants may have differing opinions.

I had the same dilemma and choose option 2 cause I had two other interviews in NY. It's hard to say what the right answer is, just gotta weigh the risks and benefits.

I don't have that much experience, but going off of what my brother and pops taught me, think of this as an investment period right now.

All this pain, trouble, and money that you're putting into this application process will pay off (I hope) once you become a doctor.

EDIT: My application was just completed today (8/28) after submitting on 8/9, there is no end to this madness.

Last edited:
anyone also submit 8/3 and still waiting to be complete? WHY AM I SO ANXIOUS

anyone also submit 8/3 and still waiting to be complete? WHY AM I SO ANXIOUS

8/6...still waiting...very anxious as well!

EDIT: Spoke too soon! Complete and under review as of today.

Last edited:
8/6...still waiting...very anxious as well!

EDIT: Spoke too soon! Complete and under review as of today.

HA. niceee. This just made me check my status--sadly still not complete.

I guess I turned in my secondary app waaay later than everyone on this thread but I had a question for those who are complete. When you turned in you secondary app, did the page take you to the secondary application page on their website with no confirmation? At first, I thought my internet connection got disconnected and filled out and submitted the secondary application again.. only to find out it took me back to the same page. For those who are complete, did your status say that your secondary was received on the date you submitted??

The day i submitted my apps, I also mailed in my fee waiver request. I'm wondering if the fee waiver has to be processed in order for the secondary application to show up?

It seems like it took about 20-30 days for people's apps to be complete but if anyone could let me know about the first question I had, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

I guess I turned in my secondary app waaay later than everyone on this thread but I had a question for those who are complete. When you turned in you secondary app, did the page take you to the secondary application page on their website with no confirmation? At first, I thought my internet connection got disconnected and filled out and submitted the secondary application again.. only to find out it took me back to the same page. For those who are complete, did your status say that your secondary was received on the date you submitted??

The day i submitted my apps, I also mailed in my fee waiver request. I'm wondering if the fee waiver has to be processed in order for the secondary application to show up?

It seems like it took about 20-30 days for people's apps to be complete but if anyone could let me know about the first question I had, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you!

1st Question: when finishing the application, the site takes you back to the office of admissions website. When you click on the secondary application portion on the right bar, it has three links available, instructions, beginning the application, and checking the status. You can check the status of your application via the third link. My status page displays the date the application fee was received the day I submitted it.

2nd Question: N/A

Just to reiterate, it took them 19 days to complete my application. I am unsure as to what order they do it.

Frankmusik-Complete-Me-478482.jpg

Finally after submitting 8/13. Now I'm complete everywhere! Time to play the waiting game some more. :) yay. best game ever.

I do not understand this school's status page

Secondary Application Information
This section is to confirm receipt of your (Requested Secondary, Payment Received & Verified Amcas Application)

Your verified AMCAS application was received.
A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 08/02/2012.
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 08/07/2012.

LETTER RECEIVED:
In order to view your received evaluations your secondary application must first be processed by the Admissions Office.

Does this mean that they received my secondary and now I am just waiting for my app to be processed?

Status
Not open for further replies.