2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
meant email...

Members don't see this ad.

submitted my app 8/3..FINALLY complete today!

Interview Invite today via e-mail! Complete 8/15.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long does it usually take to get completed? I already submitted my secondary and paid the fee but still no completed email.

Your verified AMCAS application was received.
A unique Login ID and Password to complete your secondary application were sent to you via e-mail on 08/02/2012.
Your application fee, or fee waiver request, was received on 08/10/2012.

I've been stuck at this status....anyone else?? should I give them a call or is this a norm?

Same situation here. What does it say for you under letters received btw?

dont worry guys, they are just slow, and I promise it will update because I felt the same way...i submitted 7/30 and it was not until 8/30 that I was complete and it finally said your app is complete..if it doesnt change after 1 month post submission then give them a ring

Hey does anyone know if the interviewers at each station have access to your file? Or is it closed-file?

1. I emailed my student host this past week and haven't gotten a response. My interview is September 10, but I wanted to make sure I'd have a place to stay on Sept. 9. Did I scare him away?

2. I'm flying into LaGuardia at 8:30pm. Will there be sufficient public transportation to get me to White Plains, then when there, do cabs still run around 10:30pm? I'm planning on getting to Grand Central Station, then taking the White Plains-North rail (something like that) to White Plains.

3. I'm really excited for this interview! Do you have any golden bits of info/advice for interview day?

4. What excites you most about NYMC? What excites you least?

I'll leave it at that for now!

Sorry it took me so long to get to this. Hopefully this is still helpful. Ok-

1) If your student host doesn't get back to you, contact admissions. We, between first and second years, been in a bit of an exam haze, so non-response could be exam related.

2) You can get cabs from LGA/JFK all the time. If it were me, I'd just take a cab, but that will be expensive. If I was going public trans from LGA: take the bus to the Harlem Metronorth stop, take metronorth to White Plains, take a cab from white plains to where you are staying. A lot of times there are cabs waiting outside metronorth stations, but you can also call one. I always just google maps "cab company" then pick one. From JFK, take the air tram to the train, then there are a bunch of transit options to get you to grand central. I believe metronorth stops a little after midnight, but don't quote me on it. Luckily its NYC so there are always cabs.

3) For the interview, its a completely different format than what we did. NYMC really stresses community and helping each other out. Just be your self and be friendly and open. We have a lot of diversity in our class (M1s). There are science majors, dance majors (I'm one of 2), musicians, politics majors, and lots of "non-traditional" students. (the average age is 25).

4) What excites me the most about NYMC is the community. The students are super friendly and we really work as a team to get through. Also, for the professors, the students are number one. They are here to teach, and not to just have "professor" on their CV which is great. Also, from what I hear from the M3s and M4s they do an excellent job of preparing you for the boards, and NYMC students place really well for residency. Also our financial aide people are AMAZING.

What excites me the least? We don't have podcasts/recorded lectures, but we do have written scribes (which work fine for me). If I was they type who doesn't like to go to lecture, that would be a problem, but I'm so it doesn't really bother me. Our cafeteria closes early which is a bummer, but the hospital is a 5-10 min walk away so there is food there. Other than that, really nothing. I really do love the school.

Amtrak has some stops in Westchester, I would look and see what you can find if you don't want to go all the way into the city, but it still might be faster to go through Penn. If you don't want to take amtrak, check out the busses like Bolt bus. I went to undergrad in the city and frequently took the bolt from NYC to DC, they are pretty comfortable. Once you get in to NYC, MetroNorth will easily get you up to NYMC.

Can anyone who has interviewed already give an overview or account of their experience?

got an II here this morning. complete a long time ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
any invites for people who were complete 8/28?

Interview Invite today! Complete 8/10.

Wondering if anyone who's interviewed can talk about their day, particularly MMIs?

Also, what's the verdict on getting there from OOS? Seems like there's a lot of ideas floating around.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

Anyone know if NYMC ever gives out in the area interviews? How often are students interviewed and how many applicants each day? Thanks!

Interview Invite today! Complete 8/10.

Wondering if anyone who's interviewed can talk about their day, particularly MMIs?

Also, what's the verdict on getting there from OOS? Seems like there's a lot of ideas floating around.

Thanks and good luck everyone!

+1
Interviewing here soon and would like to hear some opinions about the interview format.

Hey I just interviewed recently! I just wanted to let you know that they were very serious about not sharing the questions for the MMI, so I wont go into any details but it was really not bad. It was similar to a regular interview in a way, but more structured. If you forget all the scary part with the different rooms and time cut offs and stressful sounding stuff, youll realize that its pretty much just an interview, with a certain amount of questions and a strict time limit to answer each. I was pretty indifferent, because I tend to be good at making conversation with people, but for those that arent, the MMI can be a positive thing. Since there is a time limit, if things dont go so well, they have other questions that they can ask you that are related. On the other hand, there were many times where I felt that I didnt have enough time to finish some interesting conversations, and there were certain interviewers that were so set on getting answers to questions they wanted to hear that they would cut you off mid-sentence to ask the next thing! So, for me it seemed more awkward than regular interviews, but thats just me! I think that everyone struggled with the same stations (either due to strange/annoying types of questions or due to lack of chemistry with interviewers), which is comforting! I think everyone was pretty stressed on the first few stations, but calmed down after about 3! Hope that feedback calms some of you down! Also be careful about how you present yourself the whole day... you never know who might be in those rooms!!!

II this morning!!! Complete on 8/2, OOS, stats 3.6/32. I scheduled the interview for late october.

Int'd today, and what starie said. I found myself frustrated in the beginning because I was cut off during sentences, but I think I cleaned up at the end. Liked it but not sure I did well at all.

Int'd today, and what starie said. I found myself frustrated in the beginning because I was cut off during sentences, but I think I cleaned up at the end. Liked it but not sure I did well at all.

This was my experience too when I interviewed.

ii too just now, complete second week of Aug

I submitted my secondary during the second week of August and have yet to be marked complete. I'm beginning to get really nervous. I've tried calling the admissions office several times but I actually think they've stopped answering phones because I've gotten the "office is closed" message every time regardless of time of day or day of the week. I could try emailing but they say on their website that they don't respond to emails unless totally necessary. Is anyone else in this situation?
I don't want to be paranoid but it just seems crazy at this point, almost six weeks later, that the only people marked complete and getting interviews are those who submitted during that first week the secondary was released. Any advice?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile

Int'd today. and what starie said. I found myself frustrated in the beginning because I was cut off during sentences, but I think I cleaned up at the end. Liked it but not sure I did well at all.

In that case, you probably know who I am. ;)

What's the consensus on sending in a letter of interest to NYMC before an interview invitation? My grades are below the matriculant average, but what I have to say might convince them! It's unfortunate that NYMC doesn't have secondary application essays, so that applicants can't express themselves beyond AMCAS... As OOS, this is one of my top choices, primarily due to location and network, so I REALLY want to interview here.

Last edited:
Parks, my advice is to relax and not bother admissions.

Pfaction and Black Mamba, I was there yesterday too!

I submitted my secondary during the second week of August and have yet to be marked complete. I'm beginning to get really nervous. I've tried calling the admissions office several times but I actually think they've stopped answering phones because I've gotten the "office is closed" message every time regardless of time of day or day of the week. I could try emailing but they say on their website that they don't respond to emails unless totally necessary. Is anyone else in this situation?
I don't want to be paranoid but it just seems crazy at this point, almost six weeks later, that the only people marked complete and getting interviews are those who submitted during that first week the secondary was released. Any advice?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SDN Mobile
It took them 5 weeks to complete me, and that was about 2 months ago.... Im sure you can imagine that as it gets later and they get more applications, it will take them longer. Hang tight, Im sure its fine.

I got an interview invite the other day on 9/28, scheduled for 11/12. Stoked!

As an out-of-stater though, I am not so stoked on the transportation (which I'll be completely unfamiliar with) Is there a consensus on the best airport to fly into to make transportation easiest? Thanks!

3.5cgpa/3.6sgpa/33Q

I got an interview invite the other day on 9/28, scheduled for 11/12. Stoked!

As an out-of-stater though, I am not so stoked on the transportation (which I'll be completely unfamiliar with) Is there a consensus on the best airport to fly into to make transportation easiest? Thanks!

3.5cgpa/3.6sgpa/33Q
Westchester (HPN)

HPN is very expensive.

I flew into LaGuardia, took a cab to grand central, then the White Plains North train to White Plains. From there, plenty of cabs are available to take you on the 10 minute ride to campus. I highly suggest staying with a student host. To make it even cheaper, take a cab from LaGuardia to the nearest metro station, then metro it to grand central.

Why even take a cab? Just air train --> subway --> grand central --> train --> bus to NYMC.

Why even take a cab? Just air train --> subway --> grand central --> train --> bus to NYMC.

I've done this many times, and I would not recommend it to someone from out of town-especially if they are carrying luggage. This method has taken me over an hour. Also you are missing a transfer in the subway---->grand central. You take air tran to Jamaica station and take the E, which goes to Penn and to Howard beach, but not Grand Central. This means you have to exit the E at lexington, and get on the 6 towards Grand Central. It is doable, and certainly the cheapest option; however, it is risky for someone who doesn't know the system.

Sometimes the price in to HPN is similar when you take into account cabs, tolls, train etc. Honestly, it is far cheaper to rent a car at JFK/LGA than it is to take a cab to Grand Central and then MTA up.

Here is my recommendation (and I've done this personally as well)-
Airtran to LIRR (long island rail road) Jamaica station. Take the LIRR to Penn (approx 30 mins). At Penn you can:
A-take a cab to grand central ($7.50)
B-Walk to grand central (about 20 mins)
C-Take the 1,2,3 to Times Square (one stop) Transfer to the S or 7 to Grand Central.

From grand central take the MTA to Valhalla ( I would heavily suggest this station over White Plains). Although taxis are in waiting at White Plains, you have plenty of time to schedule a cab pick up at valhalla and it's closer to the school. Valhalla to campus would be about $10.

At this point you are roughly 5 minutes from campus via cab. I would be happy to put all of this together in a google map and send it to whoever wants it. I hope this helps.

Lol Im pretty sure medicineman asked for the EASIEST, not cheaptest/most complicated. I dont know if 14 transfers for a non New York native is the best way to go pre interview. If you want the EASIEST way to get there, fly into HPN and take a cab. The stress youll save is priceless ;)

Lol Im pretty sure medicineman asked for the EASIEST, not cheaptest/most complicated. I dont know if 14 transfers for a non New York native is the best way to go pre interview. If you want the EASIEST way to get there, fly into HPN and take a cab. The stress youll save is priceless ;)

+1. I flew into HPN for my interview and took a cab to the school. Very convenient and painless

I agree. That is why I said definitely not subway method, and HPN is the best choice. I still think there is value to outlining the easiest public transit in case someone chooses that method and are flying in the day before with time to spare.

Air Tran to LIRR to Penn isn't bad if you can't get a flight into HPN. Then you are just a Taxi and MTA ride away.

Also, I'll mention again that if you are over 25, renting an economy car cab be very affordable.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Getting lost is part of the adventure of visiting NYC. As a non-new Yorker, I need at least 10 transfers to enjoy my visit to the big apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.