You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
- Status
- Not open for further replies.
has anyone received a secondary from them yet?
nope
Just as an FYI, NYMC usually doesn't send out their secondary applications until late July. But there aren't any essays, so it's really straightforward.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just as an FYI, NYMC usually doesn't send out their secondary applications until late July. But there aren't any essays, so it's really straightforward.
This is good to know because I am still waiting to be verified
oh okay, great. thanks for the info!
Just as an FYI, NYMC usually doesn't send out their secondary applications until late July. But there aren't any essays, so it's really straightforward.
Thanks for the info!
Hi guys! Just got accepted off of the wait list for NYMC! If anyone has any questions this year during the process, please feel free to PM me! Remember it's not over until the first day of orientation!
Wow congrats you must be going crazy right now. One question for you...what did you do to get off the waitlist? Did you send updates, letters of interest, etc.?
Hey fellas,
Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck on your application this here. I'm a rising MS-2 at NYMC, and it's been a good experience so far. If you lurked last year's thread you may have seen me posting. Hopefully Kautionwirez and other MS-1's will continue the SDN tradition of helping answer questions you may have (which it looks like he's done a fine job of).
My advice and reminder to you is simple: stay calm, relax, and have fun. Right now this summer naturally things are high paced, getting your AAMCAS out and returning primaries, anxiously anticipating interviews. Try your best not to get too caught up in it, and once the interview season starts in the fall, pay attention but try you best to focus your energy in more positive ways: enjoying your senior year, gap year, classes, work, new hobbies, traveling, etc. The application cycle can be a long haul. Some may be blessed to find our their fates early, others may have to wait until shortly before orientation. Keep your head high, stay positive, enjoy this year, and make the most out of your experiences interviewing. Good luck!
Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck on your application this here. I'm a rising MS-2 at NYMC, and it's been a good experience so far. If you lurked last year's thread you may have seen me posting. Hopefully Kautionwirez and other MS-1's will continue the SDN tradition of helping answer questions you may have (which it looks like he's done a fine job of).
My advice and reminder to you is simple: stay calm, relax, and have fun. Right now this summer naturally things are high paced, getting your AAMCAS out and returning primaries, anxiously anticipating interviews. Try your best not to get too caught up in it, and once the interview season starts in the fall, pay attention but try you best to focus your energy in more positive ways: enjoying your senior year, gap year, classes, work, new hobbies, traveling, etc. The application cycle can be a long haul. Some may be blessed to find our their fates early, others may have to wait until shortly before orientation. Keep your head high, stay positive, enjoy this year, and make the most out of your experiences interviewing. Good luck!
Hey fellas,
Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck on your application this here. I'm a rising MS-2 at NYMC, and it's been a good experience so far. If you lurked last year's thread you may have seen me posting. Hopefully Kautionwirez and other MS-1's will continue the SDN tradition of helping answer questions you may have (which it looks like he's done a fine job of).
My advice and reminder to you is simple: stay calm, relax, and have fun. Right now this summer naturally things are high paced, getting your AAMCAS out and returning primaries, anxiously anticipating interviews. Try your best not to get too caught up in it, and once the interview season starts in the fall, pay attention but try you best to focus your energy in more positive ways: enjoying your senior year, gap year, classes, work, new hobbies, traveling, etc. The application cycle can be a long haul. Some may be blessed to find our their fates early, others may have to wait until shortly before orientation. Keep your head high, stay positive, enjoy this year, and make the most out of your experiences interviewing. Good luck!
Great advice. Thanks.
anyone get a secondary yet?
nope
Hey fellas,
Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck on your application this here. I'm a rising MS-2 at NYMC, and it's been a good experience so far. If you lurked last year's thread you may have seen me posting. Hopefully Kautionwirez and other MS-1's will continue the SDN tradition of helping answer questions you may have (which it looks like he's done a fine job of).
My advice and reminder to you is simple: stay calm, relax, and have fun. Right now this summer naturally things are high paced, getting your AAMCAS out and returning primaries, anxiously anticipating interviews. Try your best not to get too caught up in it, and once the interview season starts in the fall, pay attention but try you best to focus your energy in more positive ways: enjoying your senior year, gap year, classes, work, new hobbies, traveling, etc. The application cycle can be a long haul. Some may be blessed to find our their fates early, others may have to wait until shortly before orientation. Keep your head high, stay positive, enjoy this year, and make the most out of your experiences interviewing. Good luck!
How's housing in the area? I've heard that Westchester is beautiful, but it's also very upscale and suburb-y.
Westchester is gorgeous and very very expensive. Literally It's the most expensive county on the country even for the bad cities (new rochelle, mount Vernon, and yonkers are very urban but still very expensive).There are some cool towns and villages nearby, and mostly italian restaurants and pizza for food. Greek diners are common too. 15 minutes from campus is white plains, they call it "mini Manhattan" so if you want an upscale urban vibe instead of suburban there is that. Decent nightlife in white plains. Vallhalla itself pretty much is just residential with a small village center. Nearby tarrytown and elmsford are best bets for cheap housing. White plains can be decent too. Also, if you like views and mountains the catskills are an hour or so away, great snowboarding/skiing and nice state parks in the summer.
In the towns around valhalla apartments are in rare supply, usually rental houses, town houses, and duplexes. If you found a 1 bedroom apt. my guess is $900 is bottom dollar in valhalla if you get lucky.
Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile
In the towns around valhalla apartments are in rare supply, usually rental houses, town houses, and duplexes. If you found a 1 bedroom apt. my guess is $900 is bottom dollar in valhalla if you get lucky.
Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile
Last edited:
Westchester is gorgeous and very very expensive. Literally It's the most expensive county on the country even for the bad cities (new rochelle, mount Vernon, and yonkers are very urban but still very expensive).There are some cool towns and villages nearby, and mostly italian restaurants and pizza for food. Greek diners are common too. 15 minutes from campus is white plains, they call it "mini Manhattan" so if you want an upscale urban vibe instead of suburban there is that. Decent nightlife in white plains. Vallhalla itself pretty much is just residential with a small village center. Nearby tarrytown and elmsford are best bets for cheap housing. White plains can be decent too. Also, if you like views and mountains the catskills are an hour or so away, great snowboarding/skiing and nice state parks in the summer.
In the towns around valhalla apartments are in rare supply, usually rental houses, town houses, and duplexes. If you found a 1 bedroom apt. my guess is $900 is bottom dollar in valhalla if you get lucky.
Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile
Wow, that sounds amazing! Fun fact: Westchester is where the X-Men live in the comic. It's the reason I found this school. Lol!
Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really would like to apply to NYMC but I don't have a LOR from a faculty in my UG major (I'm a non-trad). Anyone have any success substituting or getting a waiver?
I got accepted here and im starting in two weeks (yah!) but I wanted to let you know that I had the same problem. I was a nontrad student and I didnt have any letters from my undergrad major so I held off submitting my secondary. I eventually called them in September and they said they said it was fine.
Moral of the story: you should definitely call first but submit what you have!! GL!

I got accepted here and im starting in two weeks (yah!) but I wanted to let you know that I had the same problem. I was a nontrad student and I didnt have any letters from my undergrad major so I held off submitting my secondary. I eventually called them in September and they said they said it was fine.
Moral of the story: you should definitely call first but submit what you have!! GL!![]()
Hey, I wanted to thank you for posting this. I had crossed NYMC off my list because I didn't have that LOR. I think I'll give them a call on Monday and hopefully add them on AMCAS if they give me the go ahead. Congrats on the acceptance btw!
Hi guys! Just got accepted off of the wait list for NYMC! If anyone has any questions this year during the process, please feel free to PM me! Remember it's not over until the first day of orientation!
What was your favorite part of the school and the area?
Wow, that sounds amazing! Fun fact: Westchester is where the X-Men live in the comic. It's the reason I found this school. Lol!
Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
REALLY? Sweet! I love X Men! 😀😍
Hey, I wanted to thank you for posting this. I had crossed NYMC off my list because I didn't have that LOR. I think I'll give them a call on Monday and hopefully add them on AMCAS if they give me the go ahead. Congrats on the acceptance btw!
Glad I could help. Let me know if you have any questions!!
REALLY? Sweet! I love X Men! 😀😍
I was always more of a Spider-Man guy, but then again I grew up where Peter Parker did (and in the movies they used a house close to mine for Aunt May's) and am a science nerd.
Just as an FYI, NYMC usually doesn't send out their secondary applications until late July. But there aren't any essays, so it's really straightforward.
how late exactly? It's almost August.
how late exactly? It's almost August.
Last year thread seemed like they came out around now actually. So it maybe August this year.
Received secondary this morning! I just realized they are switching over to the MMI interview format this year.....that should be interesting.

Received secondary this morning! I just realized they are switching over to the MMI interview format this year.....that should be interesting.![]()
Are there questions?
No questions, just have to fill in LOR info and alumni info if you know alumni. Probably the easiest secondary I've done so far.
Anybody know the average GPA/MCAT from either MSAR or US news?
Anybody know the average GPA/MCAT from either MSAR or US news?
10-90th percentile MCAT: 28-36 with 32 median
10-90th percentile cGPA: 3.44-3.96 with 3.77 median
10-90th percentile sGPA: 3.35-3.99 with 3.75 median
weird maybe I have an older version of the msar but my numbers from it are slightly lower than this10-90th percentile MCAT: 28-36 with 32 median
10-90th percentile cGPA: 3.44-3.96 with 3.77 median
10-90th percentile sGPA: 3.35-3.99 with 3.75 median
weird maybe I have an older version of the msar but my numbers from it are slightly lower than this
My fault, I thought I was in the Vermont thread. I'll fix it as soon as I get to my computer again. Or if someone else can, that would be great.
Sorry!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
okay phew ha I was feeling worse about my chances here. here's the numbers I have:My fault, I thought I was in the Vermont thread. I'll fix it as soon as I get to my computer again. Or if someone else can, that would be great.
Sorry!
mcat 10-90: 28-35, median 32
gpa cum: 3.37-3.88, median 3.64
gpa sci: 3.24-3.86, median 3.58
Thanks. Good lord, Vermont has high GPA averages.
Yeah those medians are much more comforting. Can't wait to get the secondary!
Yeah those medians are much more comforting. Can't wait to get the secondary from NYMC!
Anyone else not get the secondary yet?
IT'S BEEN A WHOLE WEEKEND.
Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
IT'S BEEN A WHOLE WEEKEND.
Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
I javent
Nada
Still waiting.... Just let me give you my money!
anyone know when they get released?
anyone know when they get released?
Apparently someone got it on Friday.
Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
anyone know when they get released?
Apparently ornitorinco already got one, but it seems like everyone else is still waiting. Maybe they did a small-batch test run?
I got one Friday too. OOS, for what it's worth (probably nothing, lol).
No essays like last year still?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, just LOR info and alumni if you know any.
Sweet! Great to know 🙂
I actually really want to go here. Take my FAP!
Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
I actually really want to go here. Take my FAP!
Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile
Likewise. I've been watching my inbox like a hawk for this secondary and UVM's.

Just got it!
- Status
- Not open for further replies.