2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
has anyone received a secondary from them yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Just as an FYI, NYMC usually doesn't send out their secondary applications until late July. But there aren't any essays, so it's really straightforward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just as an FYI, NYMC usually doesn't send out their secondary applications until late July. But there aren't any essays, so it's really straightforward.

Thanks for the info!

Hi guys! Just got accepted off of the wait list for NYMC! If anyone has any questions this year during the process, please feel free to PM me! Remember it's not over until the first day of orientation!

Hi guys! Just got accepted off of the wait list for NYMC! If anyone has any questions this year during the process, please feel free to PM me! Remember it's not over until the first day of orientation!

Wow congrats you must be going crazy right now. One question for you...what did you do to get off the waitlist? Did you send updates, letters of interest, etc.?

Hey fellas,

Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck on your application this here. I'm a rising MS-2 at NYMC, and it's been a good experience so far. If you lurked last year's thread you may have seen me posting. Hopefully Kautionwirez and other MS-1's will continue the SDN tradition of helping answer questions you may have (which it looks like he's done a fine job of).

My advice and reminder to you is simple: stay calm, relax, and have fun. Right now this summer naturally things are high paced, getting your AAMCAS out and returning primaries, anxiously anticipating interviews. Try your best not to get too caught up in it, and once the interview season starts in the fall, pay attention but try you best to focus your energy in more positive ways: enjoying your senior year, gap year, classes, work, new hobbies, traveling, etc. The application cycle can be a long haul. Some may be blessed to find our their fates early, others may have to wait until shortly before orientation. Keep your head high, stay positive, enjoy this year, and make the most out of your experiences interviewing. Good luck!

Hey fellas,

Just wanted to wish you all the best of luck on your application this here. I'm a rising MS-2 at NYMC, and it's been a good experience so far. If you lurked last year's thread you may have seen me posting. Hopefully Kautionwirez and other MS-1's will continue the SDN tradition of helping answer questions you may have (which it looks like he's done a fine job of).

My advice and reminder to you is simple: stay calm, relax, and have fun. Right now this summer naturally things are high paced, getting your AAMCAS out and returning primaries, anxiously anticipating interviews. Try your best not to get too caught up in it, and once the interview season starts in the fall, pay attention but try you best to focus your energy in more positive ways: enjoying your senior year, gap year, classes, work, new hobbies, traveling, etc. The application cycle can be a long haul. Some may be blessed to find our their fates early, others may have to wait until shortly before orientation. Keep your head high, stay positive, enjoy this year, and make the most out of your experiences interviewing. Good luck!

Great advice. Thanks.

Hey fellas,

How's housing in the area? I've heard that Westchester is beautiful, but it's also very upscale and suburb-y.

Members don't see this ad :)
Westchester is gorgeous and very very expensive. Literally It's the most expensive county on the country even for the bad cities (new rochelle, mount Vernon, and yonkers are very urban but still very expensive).There are some cool towns and villages nearby, and mostly italian restaurants and pizza for food. Greek diners are common too. 15 minutes from campus is white plains, they call it "mini Manhattan" so if you want an upscale urban vibe instead of suburban there is that. Decent nightlife in white plains. Vallhalla itself pretty much is just residential with a small village center. Nearby tarrytown and elmsford are best bets for cheap housing. White plains can be decent too. Also, if you like views and mountains the catskills are an hour or so away, great snowboarding/skiing and nice state parks in the summer.

In the towns around valhalla apartments are in rare supply, usually rental houses, town houses, and duplexes. If you found a 1 bedroom apt. my guess is $900 is bottom dollar in valhalla if you get lucky.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
Westchester is gorgeous and very very expensive. Literally It's the most expensive county on the country even for the bad cities (new rochelle, mount Vernon, and yonkers are very urban but still very expensive).There are some cool towns and villages nearby, and mostly italian restaurants and pizza for food. Greek diners are common too. 15 minutes from campus is white plains, they call it "mini Manhattan" so if you want an upscale urban vibe instead of suburban there is that. Decent nightlife in white plains. Vallhalla itself pretty much is just residential with a small village center. Nearby tarrytown and elmsford are best bets for cheap housing. White plains can be decent too. Also, if you like views and mountains the catskills are an hour or so away, great snowboarding/skiing and nice state parks in the summer.

In the towns around valhalla apartments are in rare supply, usually rental houses, town houses, and duplexes. If you found a 1 bedroom apt. my guess is $900 is bottom dollar in valhalla if you get lucky.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Wow, that sounds amazing! Fun fact: Westchester is where the X-Men live in the comic. It's the reason I found this school. Lol!

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

I really would like to apply to NYMC but I don't have a LOR from a faculty in my UG major (I'm a non-trad). Anyone have any success substituting or getting a waiver?

I got accepted here and im starting in two weeks (yah!) but I wanted to let you know that I had the same problem. I was a nontrad student and I didnt have any letters from my undergrad major so I held off submitting my secondary. I eventually called them in September and they said they said it was fine.
Moral of the story: you should definitely call first but submit what you have!! GL!:luck:

I got accepted here and im starting in two weeks (yah!) but I wanted to let you know that I had the same problem. I was a nontrad student and I didnt have any letters from my undergrad major so I held off submitting my secondary. I eventually called them in September and they said they said it was fine.
Moral of the story: you should definitely call first but submit what you have!! GL!:luck:

Hey, I wanted to thank you for posting this. I had crossed NYMC off my list because I didn't have that LOR. I think I'll give them a call on Monday and hopefully add them on AMCAS if they give me the go ahead. Congrats on the acceptance btw!

What was your favorite part of the school and the area?

Wow, that sounds amazing! Fun fact: Westchester is where the X-Men live in the comic. It's the reason I found this school. Lol!

REALLY? Sweet! I love X Men! :D:love:

Hey, I wanted to thank you for posting this. I had crossed NYMC off my list because I didn't have that LOR. I think I'll give them a call on Monday and hopefully add them on AMCAS if they give me the go ahead. Congrats on the acceptance btw!

Glad I could help. Let me know if you have any questions!!

REALLY? Sweet! I love X Men! :D:love:

I was always more of a Spider-Man guy, but then again I grew up where Peter Parker did (and in the movies they used a house close to mine for Aunt May's) and am a science nerd.

My friend was cali resident and is starting there this year so im so ready to get this secondary done

Received secondary this morning! I just realized they are switching over to the MMI interview format this year.....that should be interesting.:scared:

No questions, just have to fill in LOR info and alumni info if you know alumni. Probably the easiest secondary I've done so far.

Anybody know the average GPA/MCAT from either MSAR or US news?

Anybody know the average GPA/MCAT from either MSAR or US news?

10-90th percentile MCAT: 28-36 with 32 median
10-90th percentile cGPA: 3.44-3.96 with 3.77 median
10-90th percentile sGPA: 3.35-3.99 with 3.75 median

10-90th percentile MCAT: 28-36 with 32 median
10-90th percentile cGPA: 3.44-3.96 with 3.77 median
10-90th percentile sGPA: 3.35-3.99 with 3.75 median
weird maybe I have an older version of the msar but my numbers from it are slightly lower than this

weird maybe I have an older version of the msar but my numbers from it are slightly lower than this

My fault, I thought I was in the Vermont thread. I'll fix it as soon as I get to my computer again. Or if someone else can, that would be great.

Sorry!

My fault, I thought I was in the Vermont thread. I'll fix it as soon as I get to my computer again. Or if someone else can, that would be great.

Sorry!
okay phew ha I was feeling worse about my chances here. here's the numbers I have:

mcat 10-90: 28-35, median 32
gpa cum: 3.37-3.88, median 3.64
gpa sci: 3.24-3.86, median 3.58

Yeah those medians are much more comforting. Can't wait to get the secondary!

Yeah those medians are much more comforting. Can't wait to get the secondary from NYMC!

I got one Friday too. OOS, for what it's worth (probably nothing, lol).

Nope, just LOR info and alumni if you know any.

I actually really want to go here. Take my FAP!

Likewise. I've been watching my inbox like a hawk for this secondary and UVM's. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.