2012-2013 New York Medical College Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nvm question answered already

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, so that may have been the weirdest secondary ever... Did anyone else just get sent to the admission page after submitting? The whole fee waiver thing seems kind of roundabout, too...

Last edited:
Okay, so that may have been the weirdest secondary ever... Did anyone else just get sent to the admission page after submitting? The whole fee waiver thing seems kind of roundabout, too...

Yeah that happened to me too, and I never got a confirmation email. You can check your status though, they say it is updated in real time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah that happened to me too, and I never got a confirmation email. You can check your status though, they say it is updated in real time.

I guess I won't get the "complete" status until after I send in my fee waiver stub. It just doesn't make sense to me, but whatever, here comes the snail mail...

I guess I won't get the "complete" status until after I send in my fee waiver stub. It just doesn't make sense to me, but whatever, here comes the snail mail...

I don't understand why some places have weird steps like this. Doesn't it just say FAP-approved on AMCAS somewhere? :rolleyes:

No more whining please. We understand you are frustrated with having to mail in your FAP waiver.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup. That's why i get so infuriated when i have to provide proof.

Be grateful that NYMC is even going to honor your FAP. If you are someone on food stamps, I bet you complain that you can't buy beer and cigs with EBT.

No more whining please. We understand you are frustrated with having to mail in your FAP waiver.

+1.

Be grateful that NYMC is even going to honor your FAP. If you are someone on food stamps, I bet you complain that you can't buy beer and cigs with EBT.

+1.

I wouldn't care so much if they explained it, but it just seems like a pointless hoop to jump through. I didn't mean to come off whiney; I apologize.

Going to go suit shopping!

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

I wouldn't care so much if they explained it, but it just seems like a pointless hoop to jump through. I didn't mean to come off whiney; I apologize.

Going to go suit shopping!

Sorry, my post was directed at the other guy who said they are "infuriated."

Anyway, pre-med is all about pointless hoops. You'd think we would all be used to it by now :)

I've had a FAP waiver since I was 11, but I still didn't get fee assistance...

...had to be done.

So I saw on NYMC's FAQ the class of 2015's (I think as co 2016's profile probably hasn't been calculated yet) profile has average cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.7 and MCAT 31 and that those that were below average in a category were usually above average in another category. Here's to being an exception to that!

So I saw on NYMC's FAQ the class of 2015's (I think as co 2016's profile probably hasn't been calculated yet) profile has average cGPA 3.6, sGPA 3.7 and MCAT 31 and that those that were below average in a category were usually above average in another category. Here's to being an exception to that!
sGPA was higher????

Whoops sorry. Got them mixed up. Here it is from the website:

"There is no simple formula for gaining admission to medical school. However, it can be helpful to compare an individual applicant’s academic credentials with recently matriculated NYMC students. For example, members of the current first-year class have an average total MCAT score of 31, and an average science GPA of 3.59 and non-science GPA of 3.69. Typically students who were below the average on one of these measures were above average on the others. In addition to GPA and MCAT scores, the breath and quality of extracurricular, community, research and work experiences, letters of evaluation and a candidate’s personal statement are of great importance. If applicable, interview feedback provided to the committee is also given serious consideration."

http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.html

Whoops sorry. Got them mixed up. Here it is from the website:

"There is no simple formula for gaining admission to medical school. However, it can be helpful to compare an individual applicant's academic credentials with recently matriculated NYMC students. For example, members of the current first-year class have an average total MCAT score of 31, and an average science GPA of 3.59 and non-science GPA of 3.69. Typically students who were below the average on one of these measures were above average on the others. In addition to GPA and MCAT scores, the breath and quality of extracurricular, community, research and work experiences, letters of evaluation and a candidate's personal statement are of great importance. If applicable, interview feedback provided to the committee is also given serious consideration."

http://www.nymc.edu/Academics/SchoolOfMedicine/Admissions/FrequentlyAskedQuestions.html

Definitely above average, but I'm a little worried about this new interview format. Think they'll cut us first timers some slack? Lol.

And probably will slow their admission process getting acquainted to the MMI's with figuring out scores, etc.

Received and submitted in <20 min. Most painless secondary yet.

Still no secondary. The wait is killing me. NYMC, y u no love me?! :(

haha its OK I'm waiting too! :) I bet they're just doing batch emails. At least it's a simple secondary from the sound of it!

come take my money!

haha its OK I'm waiting too! :) I bet they're just doing batch emails. At least it's a simple secondary from the sound of it!

come take my money!

You guys are noobs. NYMC is paying me to do their secondary.

This secondary is the jankiest, POS secondary I've seen yet. They force you to enter course number and units on LORs even though they may not just be from professors.

This secondary is the jankiest, POS secondary I've seen yet. They force you to enter course number and units on LORs even though they may not just be from professors.

Ugh, really? One of mine is from a professor whose lab I work in, but he only teaches graduate courses...so obviously he's never actually been my professor.

Anyway, still waiting on secondary here.

I'm pretty sure the reason I haven't received one yet is because they just filled it out for me with the words "Legend - wait for it - dary!" and are preparing to issue my interview invite :cool:
most likely

Is today the lucky day that I will be granted a NYMC secondary?

at least it sounds like the secondary is easy to complete!

I just saved the print out as a PDF and circled fee waiver, checked the box, and emailed them the PDF. I also asked if this was OK in the same email. They said it was fine.

I wish this would come in. I finished all of the secondaries I received, and all of my work at work, so I'm literally sitting around, waiting for more to come in. I'm almost tempted to apply to more schools just to get some more paper work. :laugh:

I wish this would come in. I finished all of the secondaries I received, and all of my work at work, so I'm literally sitting around, waiting for more to come in. I'm almost tempted to apply to more schools just to get some more paper work. :laugh:

Got outside and play or something.

I just sent my FAP email through email. They were okay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.