2012-2013 Quinnipiac University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not from the East Coast, but I was wondering if anyone could give some insight on the reliability of Amtrak? I plan on flying into either Bradley or JFK the day before. Thanks!

I'm also considering renting a car, but I don't know what the weather will be like in Jan, so I want to have a good back-up plan.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not from the East Coast, but I was wondering if anyone could give some insight on the reliability of Amtrak? I plan on flying into either Bradley or JFK the day before. Thanks!

I'm also considering renting a car, but I don't know what the weather will be like in Jan, so I want to have a good back-up plan.

If you fly into Bradley and rent a car then your drive down I-91 to North Haven should be a breeze.

If you fly into JFK then I'd recommend getting to Grand Central Station and taking Metro North to New Haven. (Only $14, so its much cheaper than Amtrak)

Sent from my Nexus 10

How were the interviews today guys?
The interview day was amazing! They tried to make sure the day was as least stressful as possible. When we first met, they already knew things about me from my app. The facilities are state of the art, the setting is beautiful, and most of all, the faculty are really (really) nice. I enjoyed all of my interviews. I guarantee you'll enjoy your stay here.

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview day was amazing! They tried to make sure the day was as least stressful as possible. When we first met, they already knew things about me from my app. The facilities are state of the art, the setting is beautiful, and most of all, the faculty are really (really) nice. I enjoyed all of my interviews. I guarantee you'll enjoy your stay here.
That's great to hear, can you share your stats by any chance? Just getting a feel for what the interviewees were like.

AHHHHH now I'm even more excited!!!! Did they mention when the first round of decisions will go out? Thanks for sharing :)

Can't wait for next Friday!!! :D

That's great to hear, can you share your stats by any chance? Just getting a feel for what the interviewees were like.
I'm gonna round it to give a general view:
MCAT ~30, sGPA 3.7, cGPA 3.8

What they're really looking for is good fit. Is the Quinnipiac program and philosophy for you. If interviewed, just be your self :)

I second DRD's question, has there been any mention of when the first round of decisions will go out?

I will be interviewing on December 10, so incredibly excited!

II a little bit ago. I just withdrew my app. I hope this opens it up for one of you guys. Good luck!:thumbup:

They meet every week to review the previous week plus any students on hold.

II a little bit ago. I just withdrew my app. I hope this opens it up for one of you guys. Good luck!:thumbup:

Hi Sophocles- when did you submit your secondary and when were you complete?

They meet every week to review the previous week plus any students on hold.

just curious to know how you know that

I second DRD's question, has there been any mention of when the first round of decisions will go out?

I will be interviewing on December 10, so incredibly excited!

Hey I'm also interviewing Dec. 10th. Best of luck to you. Are you staying in any hotels?

I don't know when decisions go out, but they did say that if we're placed on hold, our application is added to the next group that is to be reviewed by the Admissions Com. And this process repeats itself until a final decision is made.

Hello! Is anybody going to stay at Holiday Inn? QU website says it provides free shuttle service to/from Tweed Airport. I just called and the operator told me it doesn't. So be careful. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Is anybody going to stay at Holiday Inn? QU website says it provides free shuttle service to/from Tweed Airport. I just called and the operator told me it doesn't. So be careful. :rolleyes:
I interviewed this past Friday and stayed at the Holiday Inn. They provided me with a shuttle to and from Tweed, as well as to and from Quinnipiac on my interview day. Its possible they changed their mind about offering the shuttle, but if I were you I would try calling the hotel front desk and asking about it.

Has anyone who submitted during/after thanksgiving break been marked complete yet? Submitted my secondary Friday November 16 and my LORs still aren't received so my app still isn't complete. Is everyone else waiting this long too?

Has anyone who submitted during/after thanksgiving break been marked complete yet? Submitted my secondary Friday November 16 and my LORs still aren't received so my app still isn't complete. Is everyone else waiting this long too?

I did the 18th, same situation. I think they gave a bunch of II and then slowed down.

Interview invitation :), submitted my secondary on 11/3

Earliest date was 1/31. Any one else going to be there? Soooooooo psyched!

Last edited:
I got my II this morning too, but I took the Feb. 4th date. Coming from Arizona I want to make sure I don't have any issues such as missing my flight and interview due to weather conditions. Figured since I would be travelling over the weekend I could fly on Saturday and not have to worry since I could also pick up a flight on Sunday barring any bad luck.

This is my 1st II. Complete here on Nov. 8th.

What are the stats gettting IIs? ~30 MCAT? What about GPAs?

28R, sGPA~3.7, will be higher after this semester

I interviewed this past Friday and stayed at the Holiday Inn. They provided me with a shuttle to and from Tweed, as well as to and from Quinnipiac on my interview day. Its possible they changed their mind about offering the shuttle, but if I were you I would try calling the hotel front desk and asking about it.

You're right, thank you! I think I got transferred to the 800 number yesterday.

Does anybody know if the PM interview includes lunch? More interview feedback will be appreciated, too! :luck:

Hey I'm also interviewing Dec. 10th. Best of luck to you. Are you staying in any hotels?
Congrats! Are you doing the AM or PM? PM for me.

Coming from California so planning on staying at the Holiday Inn, haven't booked yet though! You?

Does anybody know if the PM interview includes lunch? More interview feedback will be appreciated, too! :luck:

Yes, the PM interview starts with lunch with fellow students, financial info/general info next, then you break up for interviews and the writing sample. The scheduling of the day's interviews and writing exercise is different for everyone that's there. So the writing may come first, in the middle, or maybe last. The environment was not what I'd call stressful. The faculty were also very pleasant.

Yes, the PM interview starts with lunch with fellow students, financial info/general info next, then you break up for interviews and the writing sample. The scheduling of the day's interviews and writing exercise is different for everyone that's there. So the writing may come first, in the middle, or maybe last. The environment was not what I'd call stressful. The faculty were also very pleasant.

Thanks Rhodes. Could you comment on the writing sample? Not asking you to disclose the prompt...but could you let us know about the difficulty or if we should prepare in any way? Thanks!

Did they mention anything regarding how many applications they received, # of interview invites, and approx # of acceptances from the interview invite pool they are planning in order to fill the class? Also, did they explain the process post interview?

Thanks Rhodes. Could you comment on the writing sample? Not asking you to disclose the prompt...but could you let us know about the difficulty or if we should prepare in any way? Thanks!

Also curious about the writing sample... Will be here Friday, can't wait!!!

Also curious about the writing sample... Will be here Friday, can't wait!!!
The writing sample consists of 30 minutes where you must answer an ethical question. Can't think of any suggestions to prepare for it, but make sure they can read your writing!

Hi,

Just interviewed this past Friday. For the writing sample, it might help to look at some sample MMI ethical questions. Those helped me in my preparation and were good critical thinking exercises.

Good luck to you all!

Did they mention anything regarding how many applications they received, # of interview invites, and approx # of acceptances from the interview invite pool they are planning in order to fill the class? Also, did they explain the process post interview?

They said they will be interviewing 400 applicants. They're planning for a class size of 60. That means that more than 60 acceptances will go out as people choose to go elsewhere. Don't know how long it will take for the decision process....

Could people who have already interviewed please update the interview feedback page if you don't mind/have the time? From all of us who are interviewing soon, we'd REALLY appreciate it! :)

Hi! I just finished my interview here and I think I might be in love. Wow, what a fantastic place. Everyone I met was so friendly and excited. Yes, I think the best word to describe the attitude of the faculty/staff was "excited". They love their new school. And I do too!

Such a low stress day. We had breakfast around 8, where many of my questions about the curriculum and facilites were answered, followed by 3 one-on-one interviews, a simple writing exercise, lunch, and a tour of the facilities. My interview questions were basic and I believe they really made it a point to make the interviews conversational. Admissions staff was so nice!

Pros: The faculty is there to TEACH. They emphasize that they have left their research jobs at reputable institutions because they WANT to train medical students. I thought that was really cool. I am also super impressed by the designs for the new building. Though it is still a work in progress, it seems like it is going to be state-of-the-art. They even have a yoga room right in the middle of the med school! I know fellow yogis will agree with me when I say AWESOME. I also am enticed by the global health opportunities, the capstone project (they encourage you to choose what YOU want to do), the integrated curriculum, and the opportunity to work with health science students from other disciplines.

Cons: Not many. Obviously, this is a brand new school so there was a little bit of "well, we honestly don't know yet" in some of the answers to our questions. For example, they weren't sure about the use of technology in the classroom (i.e., iPad versus laptop, etc) and there are many things that are still a "work in progress".

So, while it's a little difficult to have some questions left unanswered, I have great faith that the faculty/staff will make QUSOM an amazing institution. I would be delighted to receive an acceptance here, and I hope I made a good impression on everyone I met today.

PS. They said that we would hear back about decisions in 2-4 weeks.

Hope this helps everyone :)

Interviewed today, am session. Above description of interview schedule is spot on. Very nice school, exciting plans. They''ll try to get responses out before end of year. The written response is a simple ethical scenario, what would you do.. kinda thing, easy.

Drd714 just wanted to say good luck, I kinda left quickly.

-San Diego

Interviewed today, am session. Above description of interview schedule is spot on. Very nice school, exciting plans. They''ll try to get responses out before end of year. The written response is a simple ethical scenario, what would you do.. kinda thing, easy.

Drd714 just wanted to say good luck, I kinda left quickly.

-San Diego

You too Mayor. Nice meeting you :) Stay clear of those earthquakes lol

Very relaxed interview day. Everyone I encountered yesterday was extremely friendly and welcoming. As drd commented above, they said 2-4 weeks until we hear back.

Good luck to my fellow 12/7 AM session interviewees!

Very relaxed interview day. Everyone I encountered yesterday was extremely friendly and welcoming. As drd commented above, they said 2-4 weeks until we hear back.

How many were interviewed in each session?? Did they have any group interviews?

How many were interviewed in each session?? Did they have any group interviews?

We all had lunch together with the chairman of admissions, but other than that we were all together sporadically

Has anyone thought about/tried to submit a letter of intent? I would really like to send one but am not sure whether I have to email it to admissions or upload it to the extra documents portion of the secondary...

^ I called to ask about this and they said they aren't accepting them. I just found out a paper I worked on got published. Oh well.....:(

Hmmm, They must have changed it. On my interview day they said they would meet and hand out decisions weekly because finding their charter class was top priority. I was wondering why I havn't heard.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.