2013-2014 East Tennessee State University James H. Quillen College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
^ To answer your Q, I was complete first week of August and haven't heard back yet.

Funny how I posted that last night and I received an II this morning.

IS, high 20s MCAT, <3.9 GPA, complete mid-aug, non-urm

EDIT: Just saw the previous post. Maybe I took your II spot? Was it for Oct 1? If so, thanks!!!! lol

Nice!

Members don't see this ad.

1 week to go until the first acceptances go out. Good luck to those with interviews coming up!

^ Yup, the committee meets next Monday. Here's hoping for a pleasant surprise on the 15th!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this the first meeting? Do you think everyone who has interviewed up to this point is going to be reviewed?

Regular decision applicants who interviewed in September were also reviewed back in September (which is a weird feeling, knowing that they've already decided but are just waiting for the "official day"). I assume the early decision applicants have already been notified as well, there's just not any commenting in the thread this year. They'll let you know during the interview day when your group will be reviewed.

Placed on active hold aka waitlist :( via email. Interviewed here a few weeks ago. Sucks a lot. The interview day made me really like this school, and I thought both of my interviews went well.

I'm a little surprised nobody's been accepted by phone yet. Maybe they're not doing the acceptance calls this year?

I'm a little surprised nobody's been accepted by phone yet. Maybe they're not doing the acceptance calls this year?

I want to say I remember them saying during the interview that they weren't calling this year. Maybe it's wishful thinking. The wait is brutal.

Placed on active hold aka waitlist :( via email. Interviewed here a few weeks ago. Sucks a lot. The interview day made me really like this school, and I thought both of my interviews went well.

If it makes you feel any better, the student tour guides on the day I interviewed told us that everybody gets put on the list at some point. I'm not sure that it's 100% accurate, but being on the list this early isn't a bad thing.

I want to say I remember them saying during the interview that they weren't calling this year. Maybe it's wishful thinking. The wait is brutal.

I hope you're right. I'm just going to assume that hearing nothing today is a good thing until I get a letter stating otherwise.

I've been lurking this thread throughout this application season, so I decided to register and pay it forward a bit to anyone else who is stuck in limbo - I was accepted today to Quillen COM via email just after 4:00 PM. No phone call. Apparently a letter is coming tomorrow.

Interviewed on 9/11, given the "active hold" email about a week later.

Congrats! Now if they'd send out a few more acceptances tomorrow, that'd be great.

I've been lurking this thread throughout this application season, so I decided to register and pay it forward a bit to anyone else who is stuck in limbo - I was accepted today to Quillen COM via email just after 4:00 PM. No phone call. Apparently a letter is coming tomorrow.

Congratulations on the acceptance! I toured Quillen earlier this year, and absolutely loved it. I'm an IS, non-trad, reapplicant. Fingers crossed on an II sooner than later. Good luck to all those all applying.

Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
What days do they usually send out interview invites? I saw some of you said it was roughly 3 weeks to go from complete to II. Is that the norm?

Don't be so hard on yourself. Many of us were put on the waitlist before being accepted. Be happy it wasn't an outright rejection.

JC, thanks for the input. I'll be interviewing in a few weeks, so maybe I'll bump into you.

I also have a few questions. Are lectures mandatory? Are there recordings of each lecture posted online? Although you're a first year, can you talk to how well the school prepares students for Boards? Do people end up matching into the residencies that they want to in terms of both specialties and program choice?

So lectures for anatomy weren't necessarily mandatory, but it did seem like most people came to lectures. I personally never missed, but there were times that I had friends not come due to sickness, going out of town, etc. We had group quizzes each morning, so the people in your group may not mind you missing every now and then, but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to have them taking the quiz without you on a regular basis. There is a new concept out there called "flipping the classroom" where you watch lectures online the day or night before, then come to class and the professor will lecture on what seems to be the harder concepts for the material. It wasn't the best at first, but we got the hang of it and I grew to like the structure. It seemed like overall our class was successful in the new style. We've just started cellular and molecular medicine and they are trying to implement the concept as well. Its a bit bumpy currently but will get better. The faculty are very open to our critiquing and are always willing to negotiate changes to improve the class for our benefit. We have a quiz every morning, but it seems like a lot of people will leave right after the quiz. The plus with the new structure is less in class lecture time and more time out of class to study when and how you want. In anatomy we had more time in the lab to dissect. Thus, less time was needed to come in after hours.

I can't really comment on the boards question. I certainly haven't heard that Quillen does a bad job in prepping students for the boards. We just had our NBME Anatomy shelf exam and I definitely felt like they did a good job in preparing us for that. As far as I know most people get the residency they want. Once again, I can't comment too much on this. Quillen likes to have a big focus on primary care, so a lot of students match into that. But there are definitely many students each year who match into fields that aren't primary care.

Congratulations on your acceptance!
I was wondering if anyone else (not early decision) has been accepted since Oct 15th? The day uneventfully came and went. No emails or snail mail and little thread discussion... I am still actively holding...Is adcom meeting again Monday?

I was verified by ETSU on Oct 11, and I still haven't heard back about a Secondary. I am really getting worried because for all my other schools, I received a secondary right away, and it has been roughly 2 weeks and counting. I am IS as well. I looked on last year's thread, and it didn't seem like they took that long for people to get secondaries. Does anyone know if this is normal or does it just mean my chances aren't that great.

Rejected via a letter in the mail on Friday 10/25. The letter didn't have any feedback for me.

Interviewed here last year and was put on hold but never gained acceptance. Figured I'd get a chance to interview again but guess they had a different idea.

3.7/33 in-state. Complete 08/09.

I was verified by ETSU on Oct 11, and I still haven't heard back about a Secondary. I am really getting worried because for all my other schools, I received a secondary right away, and it has been roughly 2 weeks and counting. I am IS as well. I looked on last year's thread, and it didn't seem like they took that long for people to get secondaries. Does anyone know if this is normal or does it just mean my chances aren't that great.

It took me 3 weeks and a day to get mine, if that helps. I think you're fine.

As to what is going on in acceptance world, I have no idea. Interviewed early September (non EDP) and placed on active hold Sept 24. No word since.

As to what is going on in acceptance world, I have no idea. Interviewed early September (non EDP) and placed on active hold Sept 24. No word since.

Ahh thank you! It looks like we were both counting it day by day for the secondary. I read on last years thread that everyone gets put on hold at some point. I think that is part of the process, but good luck!

It's been 5 & 1/2 weeks since I've been complete & I still haven't heard anything :(

Finally got the II I've been waiting for. I couldn't be happier!!!!! This is my #1!!!!!

Right there with you! Just got an II on Thursday!! I would loveee to go here!!

Judging by last year, the next round of acceptances will be sent out the week of the 13th (next week). So there's that. It's hard to tell if there are just fewer accepted applicants on SDN at this point (compared to last year) or if Quillen is being a little more conservative with their acceptances this cycle.

Anyone want to give some insight to how the interviews are? Like what kind of questions and stuff? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Complete 10/8, II this morning! So excited!

Anyone want to give some insight to how the interviews are? Like what kind of questions and stuff? Thanks!

I interviewed back in September and received an acceptance the week of the 15th. Interview day is very relaxed, or at least it was for me. The staff does a nice job of making students feel welcome, and most of the medical students that you get to meet are very friendly. As far as questions go, you should be able to find old questions on SDN.

Here's a link: http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/etsu-qcom/survey/26

Congrats to all those who are getting interviews and to those who have already been accepted!

Does anyone know when the committee meets? I know it's monthly, but is it usually the beginning or end of the month?

The committee met yesterday. I was placed on active hold this morning, and I interviewed in October. According to their email, their meetings are irregular, but usually every 2-3 weeks during the peak of the cycle. I'm trying to stay optimistic... it's still kind of early and at least I didn't get rejected! Quillen is an amazing school and still my top choice!

So has anyone NOT been placed on active hold before they get accepted?

Had my interview October 17. Committee met yesterday and I got an email this morning at 8:21am.....ACCEPTED!!

Reactions: 1 user
The committee met yesterday. I was placed on active hold this morning, and I interviewed in October. According to their email, their meetings are irregular, but usually every 2-3 weeks during the peak of the cycle. I'm trying to stay optimistic... it's still kind of early and at least I didn't get rejected! Quillen is an amazing school and still my top choice!

Stay upbeat. A good number of the class gets in off the waitlist.

Had my interview October 17. Committee met yesterday and I got an email this morning at 8:21am.....ACCEPTED!!

Howdy, fellow classmate! Congratulations!

Why, thanks, TheRobin!! Congratulations to you as well! I don't think I've ever visited your home town of Gotham City...is it in East, Middle, or West Tennessee? ;) Do you know if we have a Facebook page yet?

I also interviewed on October 17th. Accepted!! Best of luck to all of you have interviewed or are interviewing. Quillen is a phenomenal medical school.

I I email yesterday!! NC applicant so I am ecstatic! Anyone else on December 19th?

Does anyone know how to access the submitted secondary? I'd really like to re-read my answers before the interview.

Does anyone know how to access the submitted secondary? I'd really like to re-read my answers before the interview.
It hasn't worked for me since the day I submitted it in august. Do you have them saved anywhere on your computer?

It hasn't worked for me since
the day I submitted it in august. Do you have them saved anywhere on your computer?

Unfortunately I don't think I do. I'm pretty sure I just typed them right into the boxes and submitted. Ahh! Now I wish I had saved it though since those were really unique questions.

EDIT: Just kidding I guess I did save them! Yay!!

Last edited:
Just got my II today! In-state and this is by far my top choice!

Does anyone want to start a Facebook group for the Class of 2018?

The committee meets Monday

Last edited:
Does anyone know about residence requirements? I will be graduating from an out-of-state liberal arts college in June and moving from my home state to Nashville with a friend. If Nashville is my permanent residence when I apply in July, would I be considered "in state" for purposes of my application to med school in Tennessee?

Does anyone know about residence requirements? I will be graduating from an out-of-state liberal arts college in June and moving from my home state to Nashville with a friend. If Nashville is my permanent residence when I apply in July, would I be considered "in state" for purposes of my application to med school in Tennessee?
Usually the requirement is living in the state for 12 months prior to matriculation. But you've got to transfer everything to that state. i.e driver's license, car registration/plates, etc. You can probably look up on ETSU's website, they usually have a thing in admissions that spells out all the requirements.

Anyone else interviewing this week??