You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Emory University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Maybe the weather gods knew I'd be coming down. They wanted to make the place feel more like Canada for me.
Sorry dude... The ice is long gone by now.
Nooooooo.
I guess I'll have to go with plan B: hang out around the local skating rink and wait for them to throw out the old ice.
I guess I'll have to go with plan B: hang out around the local skating rink and wait for them to throw out the old ice.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! I'm on Feb 10th too! Attempting to figure out transportation, etc, now... Airport shuttles are no fun. Excited to interview though!
Hey! I'm on Feb 10th too! Attempting to figure out transportation, etc, now... Airport shuttles are no fun. Excited to interview though!
I'm soo excited. I've said it before, but Emory is my top choice and I was pretty floored to get the II.
I'm heading there early (feb 8th), so if you're there early and you want to check out the city, we can meet downtown or something.
Just PM me.
Every time this thread is updated, my blood pressure goes up. I always think the worst - like hearing news that Emory is cancelling their enrollment this year, or that they're only accepting 2015 MCAT scores, or that they've restricted enrollment to GA residents only or jacked up tuition to $100k per year. Or even worse, that the class is full for this year!
I interviewed 12/10 and haven't heard anything from them. I'm kind of an underdog though so I'm guessing I'm wait listed :/
I interviewed 12/10 and haven't heard anything from them. I'm kind of an underdog though so I'm guessing I'm wait listed :/
Can you tell me a bit about the interview day? Their website is pretty limited on information about curriculum and student life, etc, and I'm hoping they go through tours, overview, the whole shpil before any actual interviews!
last year acceptance packets were sent on Feb 4th and people posted they received theirs on Feb 7th. So maybe we will hear from people around Feb 6th or so. Also I read some URM getting phone call acceptances anyone able to confirm this.
last year acceptance packets were sent on Feb 4th and people posted they received theirs on Feb 7th. So maybe we will hear from people around Feb 6th or so. Also I read some URM getting phone call acceptances anyone able to confirm this.
The head of admissions made this VERY clear during the interview day: NO acceptance over the phone. It will be by mail. Even if the mail gets lost, she will call you and ask "if you have received any packet from Emory lately" or something along those line instead of telling you that you were accepted. Only exception is during wait list, because there's a 24 hour window to accept the offer.
Unless that was only for show... but I highly doubt that.
Last edited:
24 hours?
Good Lord. What if I go camping and am out of range!
Noooooo!
Good Lord. What if I go camping and am out of range!
Noooooo!
24 hours?
Good Lord. What if I go camping and am out of range!
Noooooo!
they actually tell you if you are going to be away for more than 24 hrs during normal business hours to let them know haha
Sigh... this thread and just thinking about Emory sending out acceptances make my blood pressure skyrocket to uncomfortable heights.
That is what I remembered from my interview, but a couple of people in this thread and last years thread reported getting accepted through a phone call.The head of admissions made this VERY clear during the interview day: NO acceptance over the phone. It will be by mail. Even if the mail gets lost, she will call you and ask "if you have received any packet from Emory lately" or something along those line instead of telling you that you were accepted. Only exception is during wait list, because there's a 24 hour window to accept the offer.
Unless that was only for show... but I highly doubt that.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
That is what I remembered from my interview, but a couple of people in this thread and last years thread reported getting accepted through a phone call.
I can't speak for MD acceptances, but for MSTP the program director calls the accepted applicants and then the official packet comes in the mail a few days later.
It was really great interview day. The campus is beautiful and they took us to Grady and other hospitals so we got to see where we'd be rotating which I really enjoyed huge selling point for the school. I think we did separate groups so I did my interview before the tour but another group did interview after tour. Theres an introduction where they talk a little about the school as well, but I don't think they got into the nitty gritty curriculum stuff until after I interviewed. I had two interviews, anCan you tell me a bit about the interview day? Their website is pretty limited on information about curriculum and student life, etc, and I'm hoping they go through tours, overview, the whole shpil before any actual interviews!
this is me actually 6 interviews 0 acceptances 2 waitlists...oh so painfulReally? Greaaaat. Just piling on the hold/WL pile. Now 6 schools and counting.
I'm not the biggest fan of schools refusing to send pre-interview rejections even when all the interview slots are filled
I'm not the biggest fan of schools refusing to send pre-interview rejections even when all the interview slots are filled
Seriously...it has been almost 7 months since Emory received my application. I want to believe they spent all that time to thoroughly review my app, but somehow I don't think that was the case.
Seriously...it has been almost 7 months since Emory received my application. I want to believe they spent all that time to thoroughly review my app, but somehow I don't think that was the case.
They're deciding between you and @Syndicate for that last interview spot.
Can someone please post about receiving an acceptance in the mail? This wait time is ridiculous. It's been two rounds since somebody got in (not counting the one MSTP person in December)
So I have to agree with rfenzo. We've had roughly 5 acceptances on SDN. Even if SDN represents 5% of the interview pool, we should hear roughly 20-25 SDNers who have gotten acceptances. From a brief look at MDapps of those who have been accepted(which was only 2), those accepted are URMs or have taken a gap year--these are typically the more sought after candidates...it makes me wonder about the rest of these early acceptances. Based on just briefly looking back on this thread, I think rfenzo is right and that there is going to be a huge wave coming sometime in the future. Math and Logic are the only things carrying me through this.
I don't get your math. You're saying they should have accepted 400 people already if 20 people represented 5%?
Edit: Seems like a stretch considering only around 350 people will be offered an acceptance, and that's counting all the way to May 15th.
Edit: Seems like a stretch considering only around 350 people will be offered an acceptance, and that's counting all the way to May 15th.
Last edited:
I don't get your math. You're saying they should have accepted 400 people already if 20 people represented 5%?
Depends on class size obviously, but look at pretty much every other thread on SDN. Acceptance rates at this point for schools with similar class sizes to Emory are at 20-25 acceptances, at least. Though it is of course not a certainty, all signs do point to the fact that most acceptances have not been sent, and in all likelihood none have been sent in some time.
That's kinda good news for people that haven't interviewed yet though isn't it?
That means there are still many spots left so it's not as competitive as some of the other schools that have, say, given half their acceptances already.
That means there are still many spots left so it's not as competitive as some of the other schools that have, say, given half their acceptances already.
I'll try some bad math. I'm also following the VCU thread closely. At each decision date (3 thus far) 50 people have been let in (according to someone who spoke to the dean). Of those 150 people, I'd say at each date approximately 7 people have posted about getting in. 7/50 = 14%
Assuming there are an equal number of applicants in this thread and the VCU thread (may not be true, the VCU thread is way more active), we should have heard from ~14% of accepted Emory applicants. Thus far, we've only heard from a handful. Let's call this number 5 because I don't want to reread the thread. 5/.14 = 36. According to my bad math, Emory has only let in 36 people. Let's account for the fact this is a less active thread and say Emory has only let in anywhere between 50-75 people. Their class size is about 140, and I believe they accepted about 300 people last round. I will conclude that Emory has accepted only 25% of the applicants they will accept.
In sum, I should stop being so neurotic and we should all just be patient. However, I will be sending an update letter to Emory soon in the hopes it'll have some effect.
Assuming there are an equal number of applicants in this thread and the VCU thread (may not be true, the VCU thread is way more active), we should have heard from ~14% of accepted Emory applicants. Thus far, we've only heard from a handful. Let's call this number 5 because I don't want to reread the thread. 5/.14 = 36. According to my bad math, Emory has only let in 36 people. Let's account for the fact this is a less active thread and say Emory has only let in anywhere between 50-75 people. Their class size is about 140, and I believe they accepted about 300 people last round. I will conclude that Emory has accepted only 25% of the applicants they will accept.
In sum, I should stop being so neurotic and we should all just be patient. However, I will be sending an update letter to Emory soon in the hopes it'll have some effect.
Don't have much to add to that - though I'm hoping the percentage of accepted applicants is lower than 25% (for purely selfish reasons haha).
They're probably just waiting for all interviews to be completed so that they can pick the top people. Maybe rolling doesn't apply this late?
They're probably just waiting for all interviews to be completed so that they can pick the top people. Maybe rolling doesn't apply this late?
Or perhaps hybrid-rolling. A la hybrid-icing in hockey!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Or SDN could be an unrepresentative sample of Emory's acceptances so far. We really cannot draw any conclusions.
Though, I really do hope they just haven't accepted many students.
I'd believe this if we had heard one or two, but none? It seems to me there hasn't been much action as of late.
If I were a top 25 medical school, I'd be somewhat conservative with offering acceptances early in the cycle. Let them trickle in throughout the interview cycle, then after almost all applicants have been interviewed, ramp up the acceptances for the non-All-Star applicants. It also gives applicants a chance to send update letters to see who REALLY wants to attend. Emory doesn't waitlist anybody until the end of the cycle, we are all eligible for every round. It's easy to believe not many acceptances have been given out.
So I have to agree with rfenzo. We've had roughly 5 acceptances on SDN. Even if SDN represents 5% of the interview pool, we should hear roughly 20-25 SDNers who have gotten acceptances. From a brief look at MDapps of those who have been accepted(which was only 2), those accepted are URMs or have taken a gap year--these are typically the more sought after candidates...it makes me wonder about the rest of these early acceptances. Based on just briefly looking back on this thread, I think rfenzo is right and that there is going to be a huge wave coming sometime in the future. Math and Logic are the only things carrying me through this.
What does "URM" mean?
Universally recognized marines.
It's a special military designation.
(jk, underrepresented minority)
It's a special military designation.
(jk, underrepresented minority)
Ugly rich men. It's well known Emory only cares about those with money, even if they are hard to look at.What does "URM" mean?
Just received my acceptance in the mail! I live pretty close by, so they probably only sent them out yesterday or on Tuesday.
edit - I guess I should add that I interviewed on January 10th
When was the postmark?
If I were a top 25 medical school, I'd be somewhat conservative with offering acceptances early in the cycle. Let them trickle in throughout the interview cycle, then after almost all applicants have been interviewed, ramp up the acceptances for the non-All-Star applicants. It also gives applicants a chance to send update letters to see who REALLY wants to attend. Emory doesn't waitlist anybody until the end of the cycle, we are all eligible for every round. It's easy to believe not many acceptances have been given out.
Wasn't there a talk at interview day saying that if you haven't withdrawn, we assume you are still interested in Emory. Are they hinting that they don't want LOIs? I don't quite remember what was said.
Just received my acceptance in the mail! I live pretty close by, so they probably only sent them out yesterday or on Tuesday.
edit - I guess I should add that I interviewed on January 10th
Are you gonna accept??? Tell us! Tell us! Tell us!
When was the postmark?
I interviewed on Monday 2/3 and was told that the last three rounds of acceptances would be mailed 2/3, 2/25, and 3/10.
When was the postmark?
Wasn't there a talk at interview day saying that if you haven't withdrawn, we assume you are still interested in Emory. Are they hinting that they don't want LOIs? I don't quite remember what was said.
The stamp is an office printed one, I don't see a postmark date. I remember them stating on the handout they gave us that they send stuff out on 2/3, 2/26 ish and 3/10 ish. I forget the exact dates
They stated that after the committee meeting for that "group" if you don't get in you'll get rolled over to the next committee meeting. After the last committee meeting you'll get put on the waitlist and they'll email you stating that and asking to reiterate your interest in Emory.
Are you gonna accept??? Tell us! Tell us! Tell us!
Why yes, I do plan on accepting!
Well done chap! Congrats.
I'm heading down for my interview on Feb 10th. Maybe we'll be classmates soon!
*fingers crossed*
I'm heading down for my interview on Feb 10th. Maybe we'll be classmates soon!
*fingers crossed*
I'm not commander shepard, but this is my favorite post on the citadel.Well done chap! Congrats.
I'm heading down for my interview on Feb 10th. Maybe we'll be classmates soon!
*fingers crossed*
Haha I apologize for the bad math. I was just rounding a little too heavily. Congrats on your acceptance!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They're not receptive to letters.Is emory done sending out invites? And are they receptive to update letters?
I'm not commander shepard, but this is my favorite post on the citadel.
And you're into video game internet memes.
We'll be besties!
Is emory done sending out invites? And are they receptive to update letters?
Only post-interview.
They said that, but on the yellow paper they gave us listing all the dates of acceptances, it says something along the lines of "Please tell us about any new grades, jobs, publications, experiences, etc." and then gives the email address to send it to. From what I remember (memory is fuzzy, this was October 4th), they said that they pay attention to how much applicants contact them, hinting that some people in the past have obsessively contacted them haha. I don't think there's any harm in sending an update letter (not a letter of intent). I'm writing about how I've improved my leadership skills during my gap year through my job and non-clinical volunteering, and then mentioning at the end that Emory best matches my interests.Wasn't there a talk at interview day saying that if you haven't withdrawn, we assume you are still interested in Emory. Are they hinting that they don't want LOIs? I don't quite remember what was said.
Good info Gene, thanks!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K