2013-2014 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I received an email notification on 5/1 that I was on the alternate list, but it went straight into my spam folder despite the fact that I had received every other email from IUSM without this happening. I didn't find out until I randomly decided to check the portal on 5/2 which was updated with my status. One of my friends had the same exact thing happen, so I would start by checking your spam and/or the portal. I'm not sure about rejection notifications though.

Would you mind sharing your stats and if you are in-state or out -of -state?

Members don't see this ad.

I received an email notification on 5/1 that I was on the alternate list, but it went straight into my spam folder despite the fact that I had received every other email from IUSM without this happening. I didn't find out until I randomly decided to check the portal on 5/2 which was updated with my status. One of my friends had the same exact thing happen, so I would start by checking your spam and/or the portal. I'm not sure about rejection notifications though.

Do you still have an exclamation point by your alternate status? I mailed the reply form on 5/1 and they still haven't put a green check mark on the Alternate line.

I am really curious to know how people get selected for campuses in the second chance. Based on openings, yes, but there are obviously going to be multiple people vying for the open spots come May 15. How does admissions select at that point? They didn't suggest that we are queued up like the original campus placement, so...? I think I would be so much calmer if I had some knowledge about how this situation worked. :(

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you mind sharing your stats and if you are in-state or out -of -state?

Sure! IS, 3.57 cum/sci, 3.55 grad, 33 MCAT, non-trad; not sure how helpful that might be at this point...

Do you still have an exclamation point by your alternate status? I mailed the reply form on 5/1 and they still haven't put a green check mark on the Alternate line.

I still have the exclamation point as well, and I know my reply form has been delivered (priority mail tracking). They did say that we had three weeks to respond, and I'm sure they're busy with tomorrow's deadline and setting up the secondary lottery.

Sure! IS, 3.57 cum/sci, 3.55 grad, 33 MCAT, non-trad; not sure how helpful that might be at this point...

I still have the exclamation point as well, and I know my reply form has been delivered (priority mail tracking). They did say that we had three weeks to respond, and I'm sure they're busy with tomorrow's deadline and setting up the secondary lottery.
I'm rootin for you guys, good luck.

Anybody on here manage to bag a merit scholarship from IU? And if so, mind sharing stats?

I just officially withdrew my application from IUSM. I hope one of you well deserving folks gets my spot in the class and Indianapolis (if you want that campus). This was such a hard decision to make. Ever since I have been in high school I have imagined myself as a med student in Indianapolis. Its funny how life and the people you meet take you to new places and change your plans :)

Best of luck to you all. Indiana and IU is amazing and I am certain you will enjoy your time.

Best of luck to you! And thanks again for your help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody know when classes officially start? Or when the class schedules will come out? (I'm guessing it varies from campus to campus.) Thanks!

Mines has a check mark now

Should I assume that if I haven't heard anything post interview (interviewed back in November) that it's a rejection?

Should I assume that if I haven't heard anything post interview (interviewed back in November) that it's a rejection?
Anyone know if it's better (at this point) to have heard nothing back or to be on an alternate list?
Someone on admissions would only know the answers to these questions.
Because of the way the whole application process runs, I believe we should stay a little positive and just say not having received a rejection is still good news, and we're still in the running for a spot in IUSM's Class of 2018.

Just a heads up to everyone wondering: I heard back from the second lottery and received my choice. I express-mailed my form the day admissions sent out the email. Good luck to everyone in the same situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just a heads up to everyone wondering: I heard back from the second lottery and received my choice. I express-mailed my form the day admissions sent out the email. Good luck to everyone in the same situation.

By any chance, was it for Indy?

Someone on admissions would only know the answers to these questions.
Because of the way the whole application process runs, I believe we should stay a little positive and just say not having received a rejection is still good news, and we're still in the running for a spot in IUSM's Class of 2018.
I too, have not heard a single word from Indy.

I interviewed back in early September. It was my first interview and I was quite excited about it.
As I understood at the time there was nobody reporting a "waiting list" status.

Therefore I think that no response is simply a wait list position.

Has anyone officially been rejected? I'm scared that I will have been waiting over 5 months just for a rejection :-\

Still under consideration nine months after my interview. Did they just forget about me, or is this a silent rejection?

Just withdrew. I really hope one of yall finally get that spot. Don't lose hope.

Are you all getting email notices of acceptances/alternate list/etc or snail mail? I'm afraid I'll get notice at my school address that I do not have access to anymore

Are you all getting email notices of acceptances/alternate list/etc or snail mail? I'm afraid I'll get notice at my school address that I do not have access to anymore
Got an email for the alternate list

Anyone who has completed health standards have a green checkmark in the portal?

Just called the admissions office. The date for "final decisions" has been delayed to June 6th.
Does final decisions mean the people on the waitlist? I thought it was active until August??

Does final decisions mean the people on the waitlist? I thought it was active until August??
Yes, from what I know that is accurate. I was referring to those of us who haven't heard anything at all regarding acceptance, rejection, or waitlist.

Its for people not yet on the waitlist with no response since their interviews.

Made the waitlist! Received the email about an hour ago.

Sigh. I'm quite confused. I interviewed on the last day of the application period and my status still says that I'm "Under Consideration". To date, I haven't recevied any e-mails from IU regarding a waitlist. Is there any possiblity that students under this predicament have a chance of being accepted. Or are they just waiting on June 6th to reject everyone who is "under consideration". How depressing.

edit

Last edited:
I interviewed in November and STILL haven't heard anything...why would they wait so long to reject me? it doesn't make sense. I know people who interviewed in January who were rejected the next month. But I haven't heard anything...I just don't understand why they're waiting so long to tell me. Im going to be so sad if it's been such a long wait for a rejection :-\

Haven't heard anything either. Now I'm incessantly checking my email and window for the mailman.

I interviewed in November and STILL haven't heard anything...why would they wait so long to reject me? it doesn't make sense. I know people who interviewed in January who were rejected the next month. But I haven't heard anything...I just don't understand why they're waiting so long to tell me. Im going to be so sad if it's been such a long wait for a rejection :-\
Same situation. January interview, absolutely no correspondence since then. Surely some who haven't heard by now may be accepted, but the majority will be waitlist -> rejected. I agree that it is depressing but would even say it's a bit unprofessional of the school to leave applicants in the dark like this for so long, especially considering the necessity of making alternative plans rejected applicants face. Maybe we'll know by June 6 then.

Rejected via email today. I'm just glad they finally made a decision (9 months later). :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Don't get so bummed out. I interviewed in early January and didn't hear anything until this morning about being put on the wait list. I don't see why they would wait until June 6th to reject everyone who is still "Under Consideration". Who knows? You could hear tomorrow that you're accepted or the next day that you're being put on the wait list--hey, it's better to have not heard anything than to have heard a rejection; what's waiting a few more days matter anyway? You've already waited this long, so just sit tight and don't bum yourself out with unsubstantiated negative thoughts.

Rejected via e-mail today. I guess my intuition was correct. Only hope left at one school I'm waitlisted at.