2013-2014 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Throwaway bc I know IUSM admissions officers frequent this thread...

I think what should happen is that when you submit your preferences through the portal, it should automatically place you in your top-most ranked campus. First choice is South Bend? Is there a spot? Yes, congrats you are at SB. No? Go to next one down on list, etc. They DO NOT do this, however, which makes me suspect a few things...

1. It is VERY concerning that no one in the admissions office seems to know what is going on. Which probably means that isn't true. Which means that they DO know what is going on. Why won't they tell us? Because they know that if they told us, we'd call them out on questionable practices or the unfairness of the process. What would they have to hide otherwise?

2. The placement process, although it is claimed to be "transparent" and "fair", is not nearly as fair as they wish we'd believe. If it were fair, the entire campus wouldn't be forced to go all at once, but could pick like I explained above. My guess? They are waiting for recruited students to pick and confirm, before using the algorithm to place students.

2. Because I imagine that there is a large mass exodus of students who are assigned some of the lower-ranked campuses to other med schools, I think that IU is going to make us wait until after we are forced to commit on the 15th of May, thus locking students into whatever campus they are assigned.Which of course, eliminates the need for ANY algorithm, and they can place students wherever they choose. Parent is an alum? You might get a better choice. Accepted by the skin of your teeth? Maybe you're a poorer student who will be less likely to donate to IUSM? Probably less important that you get a campus with better resources.

Although this method will bolster their statistics for this year (think about it--they will be pulling less students off of waitlist), they are just setting themselves up for problems in the future. I don't know if I could chance getting stuck at one of my lower ranked campuses, if I were to apply next year, and I'd probably look more seriously at other places. And I'm sorry, but not all campuses are equal (I've lived near three of them already, and visited the rest). What's going to happen is that IU is going to see a smaller and smaller applicant pool, and thus a smaller matriculant pool with lower statistics. They are really screwing themselves over if they go this route.

What's really unfortunate for us students is that housing options are dwindling, and quickly. The Foundry, which is literally next door to the South Bend med school, is on a waitlist, as are most Indy apartments. Housing selection for pretty much all campuses has occurred, meaning that affordable options are gone unless you want to travel 30 minutes. And I refuse to live in a rat hole apartment, when I've been working three jobs this year and saving EVERYTHING to afford a nice place that's close to the medical schools. I've even placed a $500 non-refundable hold on an apartment with the hope that I might get off the waitlist at that complex. I'm about to place a $100 (fortunately a refundable fee) to be on a waitlist for an apartment at a second campus.

Please don't construe my comments above as criticisms of IUSM, just the admissions office. I love IU and I believe it's where I'm meant to be. But I hate being manipulated, and manipulated so obviously without regard for us. Remember folks, people who aren't doing anything wrong have nothing to hide.

Just a heads up- someone two years ago publicly questioned the admissions process and got this as a response: 'As your initial campus preference questionnaire states: A lottery RANDOMLY decides which accepted applicants will be assigned to the Indianapolis Campus and there are no guarantees. Indiana University School of Medicine also reserves the right to withdraw your acceptance if at any time your conduct regarding this matter is deemed unprofessional by IUSM standards (http://student.medicine.iu.edu/StudentHandbook/). If you have further questions please contact the Office of Admissions at 317-274-3772."

-- Just be careful I guess, lol

Members don't see this ad.

So is it absolutely positive that ED students get their first choice? I would be more than willing to commit if I can end up at my top campus.

(Of course assuming I can get in when I apply).

"The only students who are guaranteed their campus choice are Early Decision and MD/PhD"

For anyone without FB, admissions posted this morning that campus placement will happen before the may 15th deadline. in case anyone was worried about that, I hope this eases your fears!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, that is their current policy. That's a huge gamble though. You never know whether your interview will go poorly (for a multitude of reasons) of if the person who reads your PS takes issue with something minor. The list of things like that is long and I wouldn't take the risk of applying to only one school.

If you aren't already aware, EDP does preclude you from applying to more than one school. You can be an excellent applicant and still not make the cut due to something small. The risk is especially high in the interview. Everyone has off days and the risk of an off day is double because you may be off your game or your interviewer may be grouchy or whatever. @rotarman might be interested in this post as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is all true, and from what I've read, it is usually a VERY poor idea to apply ED in general for these reasons. You may not be able to put in any other applications until October 1.

However my understanding is that IU is different in its approach to ED than possible any other med school. One reason is that to apply, you must have 3.6 cumu and sci GPA and 30 MCAT w/ no subscore below 8. This means you almost can't apply ED with below average stats ( 3.7,30.7).

Also they accept most ED applicants. See these threads:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/early-decision-anyone.295963/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/early-decision-edp-my-story-anyone-else.722524/

Note some of these are old. Possible this info is outdated.

All hearsay of course, I haven't found any real data corroborating this, and I haven't been able to get much info from admissions on the phone. Plus it would suck if they decided to change those policies this year if we apply ED...

Last edited:
I just searched through my old emails to find somewhere where IUSM said they'd do assignments in April. All I could find was emails saying it would be in the 'spring' sometime lol. Does anyone know where the April thing initially came from? I thought I read it somewhere...

I just searched through my old emails to find somewhere where IUSM said they'd do assignments in April. All I could find was emails saying it would be in the 'spring' sometime lol. Does anyone know where the April thing initially came from? I thought I read it somewhere...
The April goal comes from a post by admissions on the facebook page. I think it's one from february or something.

I remember it from the interview when they said we'd find out "by mid-April", plus thats the way its been in previous years. I feel like this is stage three of checking the email every hour: interviews, acceptances, now campus. SOOOOOOOOOOON

Reactions: 1 users
For those of you who aren't in the FB group this was just posted by admissions:

"Hey Everyone--I should have an update this afternoon. We are pushing for information but again want to make sure everything runs right."
AHH!!! Keep up with the juicy details!

EDIT: Thank you, everyone, for being my facebook liaisons! :D

stephen-colbert-report-excited.gif

HOW?! WHEN?!?!? Do you know what time???

Reactions: 4 users
Once you folks get assigned, if you have any questions about the Indianapolis campus I'd be happy to assist. Congrats!
-Current MS2 in Indy

From FB:

"We are pushing the button tomorrow!

We have worked out all the glitches. If you have not filled out your preferences you will be receiving an email from us some time today asking you to.

Also while you might see a campus listed on your portal-- unless you have received an email from us confirming its not set in stone.

We will also be sending out notification and instructions to the second chance lottery."
Awesome! :clap:

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoop whoop, west lafayette! I can't even explain the relief right now :) anyone else get placed in lafayette?

Reactions: 3 users
It's so exciting seeing everyone get their top choices! South Bend over here!! I don't have to cancel my lease that i jumped the gun on :)

Reactions: 4 users
Congrats to everyone who got their top choice!!!...I got my second choice (Bloomington)...I may go ahead and participate in the second chance lottery :D but even if I don't get my top choice, I'll be content wherever I end up! I'm just thankful to have been accepted!

Has anyone been placed onto the alternate list yet? Or does anyone know when the alternate list is going to be generated?

Does anyone have any insight about the likelihood of going in for Indy for the second chance lottery? I'm feeling extremely anxious about waiting for the results of it, and I wonder if they will be pulling off of the waitlist before they re-allocate those of us who have opted into the second lottery.

I thought they would be sending out details of the second lottery. Have they done this? I am very happy with my campus, but they have no way of knowing that. Since I haven't gotten it, I assume nobody has.

Unfortunately, the questions you raise can't be answered without more information. Hopefully it will be coming to you in an email shortly.

The details of the second chance lottery went out on Friday.

I thought they would be sending out details of the second lottery. Have they done this? I am very happy with my campus, but they have no way of knowing that. Since I haven't gotten it, I assume nobody has.

Unfortunately, the questions you raise can't be answered without more information. Hopefully it will be coming to you in an email shortly.
They had sent out the document for the second chance lottery after they had sent the email confirming the campus placement last Friday.
Then the admissions office must be assuming that people who got their first choice have not had a change of heart since filling out the preference sheet. I got my first preference and I have not seen an email in my inbox regarding the second chance lottery.

Regarding OPs question... Does the email not explain the details?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. My question was more geared towards previous knowledge of the success rate of the second chance lottery in selecting for the campus desired. Remembering back to my interview, one of the current M1s had told me that she "knew noone in Indy who had done the second chance lottery," which suggests slim chances in being relocated there.

Additionally, the document they sent said nothing as to how they are doing the second chance lottery after the May 15th deadline (ie, are they pulling people off the waitlist prior to doing the second chance lottery so that those of us who were not waitlisted have the chance to get into our first choice campus?)

They had sent out the document for the second chance lottery after they had sent the email confirming the campus placement last Friday.

Yes. My question was more geared towards previous knowledge of the success rate of the second chance lottery in selecting for the campus desired. Remembering back to my interview, one of the current M1s had told me that she "knew noone in Indy who had done the second chance lottery," which suggests slim chances in being relocated there.

Additionally, the document they sent said nothing as to how they are doing the second chance lottery after the May 15th deadline (ie, are they pulling people off the waitlist prior to doing the second chance lottery so that those of us who were not waitlisted have the chance to get into our first choice campus?)

This might be a good question to ask in the Facebook group.

This might be a good question to ask in the Facebook group.
I'm scared to, to be honest! I don't want my questions to be misconstrued as unhappy about my current status. I really don't want to irritate anyone on admissions...

Does anyone have any insight about the likelihood of going in for Indy for the second chance lottery? I'm feeling extremely anxious about waiting for the results of it, and I wonder if they will be pulling off of the waitlist before they re-allocate those of us who have opted into the second lottery.

This is just my experience from 2 years ago... Indy had me waiting until right before June before they ended the second chance lottery. I personally know two people (there could be more) who were put at another campus but miraculously got Indy in the second chance lottery. I also know many others who were able to switch campuses outside of Indy. I asked a few times about spots and they always said there are no spots yet. However, I'm am still a little curious how some people who got in last minute were able to get Indy. :p

I'm scared to, to be honest! I don't want my questions to be misconstrued as unhappy about my current status. I really don't want to irritate anyone on admissions...

Haha, agreed...

I really hope those who are at least partially satisfied with their placement do not "try" for Indy just to see what happens. For those of us with extensive circumstances, since admissions will no longer consider explanatory written requests, we are at odds if those who are okay with their first or second choice partake in the second lottery.

I really hope those who are at least partially satisfied with their placement do not "try" for Indy just to see what happens. For those of us with extensive circumstances, since admissions will no longer consider explanatory written requests, we are at odds if those who are okay with their first or second choice partake in the second lottery.
Yes, I definitely agree. I, too, have extensive circumstances to be in Indy. I have been debating whether to select Indianapolis or Muncie as a second chance selection because of my situation...I really hope that it works out.

Yes, I definitely agree. I, too, have extensive circumstances to be in Indy. I have been debating whether to select Indianapolis or Muncie as a second chance selection because of my situation...I really hope that it works out.

I have been considering this exactly. From what I've read, Muncie doesn't seem to fill up, so putting that as our second lottery would give us more of a chance.

This is just my experience from 2 years ago... Indy had me waiting until right before June before they ended the second chance lottery. I personally know two people (there could be more) who were put at another campus but miraculously got Indy in the second chance lottery. I also know many others who were able to switch campuses outside of Indy. I asked a few times about spots and they always said there are no spots yet. However, I'm am still a little curious how some people who got in last minute were able to get Indy. :p
Can I ask you what your general timeline was after May 15? Did you receive any notification from admissions? And when did you call them?

For current Indy students, what are the biggest pros and cons to attending this school. Or what are the things you loved most and what would you like to see changed here? Thanks!!

I have been considering this exactly. From what I've read, Muncie doesn't seem to fill up, so putting that as our second lottery would give us more of a chance.

Are you interested in Muncie because of its proximity to Indy to commute? If so, I think Bloomington and West Lafayette are at least as close (the former probably a little closer).

Has anyone heard anything regarding the alternate list? I know last year people started to get e-mails regarding it around April 29th.

Has anyone heard anything regarding the alternate list? I know last year people started to get e-mails regarding it around April 29th.
I've been wondering the same thing. After searching through some of earlier threads too, it seems like the alt list is typically sent out sometime during this week (end of April/first week of May)

A little insider knowledge-- Muncie's roster for the class of 2018 is overfilled. They do that because they know people will choose to leave with the second lottery. I only know about Muncie's roster just because I'm here. Just thought it was interesting!

Did you get your #2 choice? I would have been fine with any in my top 4. Assuming you were placed in one of your top 4, I would put Indy for the 2nd chance lottery. But if you weren't placed in your top 4, then I would put your #2 (Muncie?) or even #3 choice, since Muncie seems to be overfilled...

Did you get your #2 choice? I would have been fine with any in my top 4. Assuming you were placed in one of your top 4, I would put Indy for the 2nd chance lottery. But if you weren't placed in your top 4, then I would put your #2 (Muncie?) or even #3 choice, since Muncie seems to be overfilled...

Muncie isn't that overfilled (it seems like its only 3 extra students)...and if they are anticipating that students are planning to transfer out, it might be a good bet.

Muncie isn't that overfilled (it seems like its only 3 extra students)...and if they are anticipating that students are planning to transfer out, it might be a good bet.

How do you know how many extra students there are?

I got my 2nd choice, which I selected based on Step 1 and board scores. How are you making your predictions for selection of campus for the 2nd chance lottery? I believe the admissions office had said that everyone is guaranteed one of their top 3 choices, correct?

I got my 2nd choice, which I selected based on Step 1 and board scores. How are you making your predictions for selection of campus for the 2nd chance lottery? I believe the admissions office had said that everyone is guaranteed one of their top 3 choices, correct?

Where did you find the step 1/board scores? I was placed at my fifth choice

Yes no security deposit. There was the $50 fee for the secondary that needed to be paid but that was it.

If you plan on attending IUSM then make sure you withdraw all other acceptances before May 15th to follow the AAMC traffic rules.

Any speculation on the chances of being reassigned to Bloomington in the second chance lottery?

Any speculation on the chances of being reassigned to Bloomington in the second chance lottery?
I have no idea about the chances of campus reassignment. I do know that Bloomington is one of the more popular campuses. I'm assigned to Bloomington and hope to be reassigned to Indy. Hope it works out for both of us.

I got assigned to Terre Haute but prefer Indy, Lafayette or Bloomington because of better access to research and a more diverse campus.
I'll do the reassignment lottery and was wondering where I have the biggest chance of getting in.

Thanks!

Does anyone know if they've sent out rejections post-interview yet or waitlist decisions? I still haven't heard anything yet.

I received an email notification on 5/1 that I was on the alternate list, but it went straight into my spam folder despite the fact that I had received every other email from IUSM without this happening. I didn't find out until I randomly decided to check the portal on 5/2 which was updated with my status. One of my friends had the same exact thing happen, so I would start by checking your spam and/or the portal. I'm not sure about rejection notifications though.