2013-2014 Indiana University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to all those interviewing soon!

Members don't see this ad.

For those that have sent out the documents, but IUSM hasn't put a green check mark on your status yet, I called admissions this morning. They said it takes a while to process everything, and if anything was missing, they would give us a call. Just FYI

Received email about taking 25 OOS interviewees to be matched with a student host.

I think it is primarily for Indianapolis interviews, right? I just sent a reply now but I did not specify which campus I will interview..

Members don't see this ad :)

For those interviewing tomorrow, did you schedule a tour or is that something we do as a group. I was clicking around the site and found something about it. Not sure what the plan is there, so I went ahead and emailed them even though it's only a day in advance.

This is where I saw it. It's at the bottom of the page.

Anybody know anything about this?

How strict is Indiana with the non-science faculty LOR requirement?

I have two science faculty, 1 MD, 3 non-science non-faculty letters. No non-science faculty tho. Should I even bother applying?

How strict is Indiana with the non-science faculty LOR requirement?

I have two science faculty, 1 MD, 3 non-science non-faculty letters. No non-science faculty tho. Should I even bother applying?

I read on last years thread that another science faculty could substitute but I'm calling today to make sure

I was wondering if anyone here knew what the exact LOR requirements where? I can't seem to find them anywhere...

Members don't see this ad :)
WOOO first II just now! Eee

OOS gpa 3.5+ MCAT 35+

Complete around 8/10

Last edited:
any feedback from people who interviewed 8/28?

I had an incredible experience at IUSM. The doctors are extremely welcoming and nice. They go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. In all honesty, my interview was just a chat. I spoke with friends and they were given some more structured questions. So be prepared to answer ethical questions. Be able to gauge different situations and weigh what the most logical and morally correct response would be. (It should be what you would do as a physician given that specific situation). Also, be able to talk about yourselves. And loosen up a bit. The interviewers really want to get to know you! I can honestly say I really enjoyed my interview. Absolute delight! Good luck to all the other interviewers!

P.S: fingers crossed, waiting for positive news!

I had an incredible experience at IUSM. The doctors are extremely welcoming and nice. They go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. In all honesty, my interview was just a chat. I spoke with friends and they were given some more structured questions. So be prepared to answer ethical questions. Be able to gauge different situations and weigh what the most logical and morally correct response would be. (It should be what you would do as a physician given that specific situation). Also, be able to talk about yourselves. And loosen up a bit. The interviewers really want to get to know you! I can honestly say I really enjoyed my interview. Absolute delight! Good luck to all the other interviewers!

P.S: fingers crossed, waiting for positive news!

Thanks for your feedback.

From my understanding after reading the last year's thread, those interviewing in Indy can be very different from what's described above. You will be either drilled by ethical questions or will be having delightful chats like the poster above.

Fingers crossed for the latter, but be prepared for ethical questions.

My Deans form is still being marked as not received. :( Found a contact tab on the status webpage so I wrote them a little note asking about it (it was mailed ~3 weeks ago) and asking if I need to have my undergrad fax it over or something...I wish they hadn't said the three forms need to be in before the interview; I wouldn't be so worried over this form if I still had time for it to be processed. :/

On the other hand, getting excited for the interview! Hoping for the relaxed, conversational interview as well. Hoping also the traffic near Indy isn't bad; I'm leaving work early the day before but I still need to get from the Chicago area to Indianapolis before the highways are dark and icky to drive on...

How exactly should we mail in the supplemental materials? Do we just stick those 3 sheets of required documents into some envelope and then mail them off?

How exactly should we mail in the supplemental materials? Do we just stick those 3 sheets of required documents into some envelope and then mail them off?

Yep, although the deans form goes separate because it has to go to your undergrad (and be filled out by them) first.

The other two you fill out & mail directly to IU.

For those who have received interview invites: I received an invite almost 2 weeks ago and have not had my interview scheduled yet. How long it take them to contact you with the interview date after sending the invite?

For those who have received interview invites: I received an invite almost 2 weeks ago and have not had my interview scheduled yet. How long it take them to contact you with the interview date after sending the invite?

Don't panic at all; I received an invite 7-29 and didn't get my actual interview date emailed to me until 8-20 (I interview this upcoming Wed, 9-4).

However, despite waiting so long to learn your interview date, you also then barely have two weeks to prepare/plan out your method(s) of transportation and lodging. Perhaps as the cycle goes on they will notify applicants of interview dates earlier than two weeks beforehand, though...

Also, for those of you who were worried like me about your deans form, mine was FINALLY marked received today (almost a month after it was mailed out). Not sure if my message to the office (through the status page) made them process it finally, or if they just finally got to my form today...

Interview 9/4 is about 3 days away! I didn't feel nervous until yesterday and it is finally hitting me.

Interview 9/4 is about 3 days away! I didn't feel nervous until yesterday and it is finally hitting me.

Don't panic at all; I received an invite 7-29 and didn't get my actual interview date emailed to me until 8-20 (I interview this upcoming Wed, 9-4).

However, despite waiting so long to learn your interview date, you also then barely have two weeks to prepare/plan out your method(s) of transportation and lodging. Perhaps as the cycle goes on they will notify applicants of interview dates earlier than two weeks beforehand, though...

Also, for those of you who were worried like me about your deans form, mine was FINALLY marked received today (almost a month after it was mailed out). Not sure if my message to the office (through the status page) made them process it finally, or if they just finally got to my form today...

9/4 Interview here. Feeling pretty nervous, it's been over 5 years since I've had a real interview.

Also, my dean form has been marked complete, but none of my other forms have....

+1! Trying to stay as calm as possible; I've done a lot of job interviews this past year and the best ones (ones where I got an offer) have been where I'm totally calm and answering smoothly/articulately even if I wasn't expecting the question.

Med school's a whole different ball game, but I figure calm will help me a lot more than nervousness and stuttered answers, haha.

Reminding myself that I'm in the first batch of Indy interviews--there's gotta be something in my app they liked enough to interview me so early (and that I can talk about). :)

9/4 Interview here. Feeling pretty nervous, it's been over 5 years since I've had a real interview.

Also, my dean form has been marked complete, but none of my other forms have....

I'm sure your other forms will be marked received soon--they've got a lot of stuff to sort through.

When's your interview time?

It has been over 5 years too, same here.. Every time I think about it, I kept remembering my horrible first real interview, which was for MIT, wearing hoodies and jeans, and my interviewer was yawning so many times but I kept talking for 1.5 hours. Wasted his time so badly and I have no idea why I did what I did... Now I triple checked if I had my suit ready for this interview and decided not to wear any hoodies no matter what because of that bad or funny memory...

9/4 almost here :O freaking out right now!

i'm hearing a lot about ethics questions.. how are you guys preparing for these? The ones i saw was just if you smelled alcohol on a surgeons breath or if a patient denied treatment what would you do.. seems pretty straight forward to answer right? are there others i should prepare for?

I just drove around IU SOM today, Where's the parking?!?! I am freaking out that I won't be able to find parking tomorrow morning!

Just to confirm, we don't send in LORs until we're invited for interview, right?

Anyone out there with a scheduled interview who received II on 8/2 or later and is not EDP? Thanks.

9/4 interview finished.

Had a blast, although I realized I could have answered the ethical questions so much better, but I hope I made a good positive impression. Interview was short (30 min) instead of 45 min so hopefully it is not a big deal.

Surprisingly so many OOS people(I met only 2 IS out of 50+) interviewed in the morning.

Feeling kind of bummed. Verified 8/29, no II. 3.65/37/OOS. :(

Feeling kind of bummed. Verified 8/29, no II. 3.65/37/OOS. :(

I'm an idiot. You guys were all verified 7/31. I was thinking 8/31 and wondering what the hell I missed. Nevermind.

II this morning for MSTP!!!!!!! :)

Completed 8/9. OOS, 31, 4.0, 4 years of research.

Good luck everyone! See you in November!

9/4 interview finished.

Had a blast, although I realized I could have answered the ethical questions so much better, but I hope I made a good positive impression. Interview was short (30 min) instead of 45 min so hopefully it is not a big deal.

Surprisingly so many OOS people(I met only 2 IS out of 50+) interviewed in the morning.

Same here. I met people from Arizona, New York (that kid had 8 IIs), Arizona, New Jersey, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, California, New Mexico, and Michigan. I don't think I met two ppl from the same state. So much diversity.

Nice interviewing day. The interviewers I had were very nice, it is around 30 minutes and you get to talk to two doctors about yourself and your experiences. The ethics questions were not loaded and were very clear. They just want to see if you are a well adjusted person in these interviews so don't worry, and don't study for these interviews like a maniac.

it seems like 9/4 was like the OOS day or something. I interviewed at a smaller campus and everybody was OOS.

my interview was interesting though. i was asked like 2 questions about my application and the rest was all about ethics and modern issues in medicine. anybody else have a similar experience?

I also interviewed at one of the regional campuses. I think all but one person was from Indiana and the interview itself was very laid back. One ethics type of question at the end but it wasn't bad. It was so conversational I ended up being in there for 55 minutes just chatting with them!

Has anyone that received an II around 8/16 had any further communication from them (e.g. date of interview)?

Also, I mailed in my forms on 8/17 and still none have been marked received. My letters of rec don't seem to have been received either.

None of my forms have been marked either.

I received an e-mail saying they can't interview me at Indianapolis and will interview me at a regional campus instead.... this is frustrating. I'm flying out from California, and the other campuses seem to be 1-2 hours out from Indy.

How long ago did you submit your preference? I am getting concerned because I submitted my preference 3 weeks ago.

Just so you know, I submitted all of my forms the day after I received an II (8/7) and none had green check marks until the morning of my interview (9/4).

Has anyone that received an II around 8/16 had any further communication from them (e.g. date of interview)?

Also, I mailed in my forms on 8/17 and still none have been marked received. My letters of rec don't seem to have been received either.

Mine didn't get marked received until the day before my interview (9/4 interview, and I mailed my forms out 2-3 weeks before). I called them before, and they said if anything was missing, they would give us a call.

Hope that helps.

How long before your interview did they email you and let you know the date?

How long before your interview did they email you and let you know the date?

Around 2 weeks. Yeah, the short notice sucks, but flights are not too expensive at that point.

How long ago did you submit your preference? I am getting concerned because I submitted my preference 3 weeks ago.

I submitted my Indy preference 8/23. I got the vague e-mail about a campus change 9/4.