You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Lol you have Mayo anyway. 😉
That's correct!
Very excited about that and ice fishing grumpy old men style.That's correct!Very excited about that and ice fishing grumpy old men style.
Lol and the peds floor of the clinic... OMG Mayo please accept me off the hold list tomorrow.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Lol and the peds floor of the clinic... OMG Mayo please accept me off the hold list tomorrow.![]()
Wasn't it amazing? The thought and detail that goes into everything Mayo does is absolutely phenomenol. They are the google of the health care industry. Good luck getting appointed. You have gotten some amazing iis and acceptances
already so congrats on those - Darmouth is great too, but they didn't show me any love after my interview. They were like 
Wasn't it amazing? The thought and detail that goes into everything Mayo does is absolutely phenomenol. They are the google of the health care industry. Good luck getting appointed. You have gotten some amazing iis and acceptancesalready so congrats on those - Darmouth is great too, but they didn't show me any love after my interview. They were like
![]()
Yeah it was so amazing. The lobby itself was just marble everywhere too. If I had time, I would have taken pictures the whole time I was in that building, but I didn't know if I was allowed to. I took lots of pictures of the Gonda building outside though lol.
Lol I don't deserve any
! I'm nowhere near the level of some of the other people on SDN who have 15 interview invites all at top 20s! But thanks though! I'm going to be staring at my phone the whole time around 12 tomorrow.EEKK
. Up until Matt20 posted, i thought my completion date (mid-september) would be safe from this round. I'll try to keep my head up for when I inevitably get the rejection email later today. Every time these mass rejections go out and I don't get one right away, I think I'm safe and then bam - "Inbox (1)"
App submitted 9/9
App complete 9/30
STILL NO WORD. Anyone in this boat?
Lots of people, I bet. I was complete on on 7/11, and received my confirmation of completion status on 7/23, and no word here. This really isn't unusual - You just have to wait.
App submitted 9/9
App complete 9/30
STILL NO WORD. Anyone in this boat?
I think this happened on last year's thread too... You might want to check it out. Probably an II soon?
Lots of people, I bet. I was complete on on 7/11, and received my confirmation of completion status on 7/23, and no word here. This really isn't unusual - You just have to wait.
+1
Nemo you always make me feel better!
Here it is: Mass pre-interview rejections came near Christmas time last year, which included complete dates all the way into late October. Someone (post #753) didn't get a pre-interview rejection during the mass pre-interview rejection day, but was complete mid-August and got an II a couple weeks later.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-university-application-thread.895220/page-16
Yay rejected! A little bummed, but I'm already accepted at one of my dream schools so whatever Jhoppy. I lost respect for you after you sent out that "post interview evaluation" email to everyone...
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Marked complete today,
Submitted 10/9.
Submitted 10/9.
Yeah it was so amazing. The lobby itself was just marble everywhere too. If I had time, I would have taken pictures the whole time I was in that building, but I didn't know if I was allowed to. I took lots of pictures of the Gonda building outside though lol.
Lol I don't deserve any! I'm nowhere near the level of some of the other people on SDN who have 15 interview invites all at top 20s! But thanks though! I'm going to be staring at my phone the whole time around 12 tomorrow.
BAH
- look in the mirror and high-five yourself
. You deserve it. This is about you, nobody else. Good luck tomorrow.BAH- look in the mirror and high-five yourself
. You deserve it. This is about you, nobody else. Good luck tomorrow.
Aww, thanks hubriz!
Joining the rejection party as well =( submitted mid august and was marked complete about a month later.
I was heading in for another interview right when I got it so it almost killed my mood but a few other interviewees with me got the email at the same time so we bonded over that lol
good luck to everyone else still waiting !
I was heading in for another interview right when I got it so it almost killed my mood but a few other interviewees with me got the email at the same time so we bonded over that lol
good luck to everyone else still waiting !
OMG this sucks... Is this the first mass rejection of the season for them? Does anyone know how many more they do?
I wonder if they reviewed apps alphabetically........anyone get rejected yesterday towards the end of the alphabet?!?
I wonder if they reviewed apps alphabetically........anyone get rejected yesterday towards the end of the alphabet?!?
I know this isn't what you asked, but approaching this question from the other side: My name is toward the beginning of the alphabet, and I haven't been rejected.
I wonder if they reviewed apps alphabetically........anyone get rejected yesterday towards the end of the alphabet?!?
Any particular rational behind this theory or this just a random guess?
Any particular rational behind this theory or this just a random guess?
Completely random, just preparing myself for the inevitable 🙂
Heads up: The admissions department has an amazing Facebook page, to which the following was posted this morning:
It looks like they sent out less than half of the rejections in this batch, so surviving this cut should not be seen as indication that an II is probably on its way, as some have optimistically speculated. Back to waiting!
The Admissions Office sent over 1,300 notices to applicants informing them that they were no longer under consideration for an interview at Hopkins. We still have more than several thousand applications pending reviews, but we felt that it was better to notify those who were not going to be offered an interview the information at this time so that they can move ahead with their other applications and not wonder when they would hear from Hopkins. We will continue to evaluate candidates for available interview slots, which are offered through late February into early March.
It looks like they sent out less than half of the rejections in this batch, so surviving this cut should not be seen as indication that an II is probably on its way, as some have optimistically speculated. Back to waiting!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any current students know when the next massive rejection wave is coming? Somehow managed to escape the last one but may not be so lucky next time. I really don't want to be taken by surprise...
Thanks for pointing me to their FB page! I had not seen it before.Heads up: The admissions department has an amazing Facebook page, to which the following was posted this morning:
It looks like they sent out less than half of the rejections in this batch, so surviving this cut should not be seen as indication that an II is probably on its way, as some have optimistically speculated. Back to waiting!
The Admissions website says that acceptances start being issued in December. I thought at my interview they said that acceptances will start on November 15th. Am I mistaken? I was getting anxious about tomorrow but I guess I have a couple more weeks to try and wait patiently.
The Admissions website says that acceptances start being issued in December. I thought at my interview they said that acceptances will start on November 15th. Am I mistaken? I was getting anxious about tomorrow but I guess I have a couple more weeks to try and wait patiently.
I'm pretty sure it's mid-December. I was in the second interview group of JHU's cycle and they told us we'd be notified at that time. I can't see a later interview group being notified at an earlier time (i.e., November).
I wish it was November 15th, but I was also told December 15th.The Admissions website says that acceptances start being issued in December. I thought at my interview they said that acceptances will start on November 15th. Am I mistaken? I was getting anxious about tomorrow but I guess I have a couple more weeks to try and wait patiently.
Sorry! When were you complete?Getting on board the rejection train!
I have a question here. Schools like Harvard, JHU, Duke are ranked highly in USN Research ranking and schools like UNC, U of Washington, U Mass are ranked highly in Primary Care. If I am not interested in Research or Primary Care and instead interested in practicing in other specialty, such as anesthesiologist or dermatologist, would I be better off going to first type of schools or the second?
First, I would like to echo the advice you got to this question on the Harvard forum. Also, I don't know where you are in your application process, but keep in mind that the decision isn't really yours to make. Even stellar candidates will get rejected from some schools that they think they ought to have been accepted to. Likewise, average candidates get into top schools all the time. Don't just trust rankings to guide your decision to apply to medical schools - do a little more in depth research and see if you can find some students to talk to. At the end of the day, you will be happier (and a more successful applicant) if you find reasons to love various schools that don't depend on their rank.I have a question here. Schools like Harvard, JHU, Duke are ranked highly in USN Research ranking and schools like UNC, U of Washington, U Mass are ranked highly in Primary Care. If I am not interested in Research or Primary Care and instead interested in practicing in other specialty, such as anesthesiologist or dermatologist, would I be better off going to first type of schools or the second?
Thanks for the reply. I guess I did not word my question properly and should not have listed the school names that might have raised eyebrows. It was just a general and hypothetical question; so I just randomly picked some schools from the two ranking lists.First, I would like to echo the advice you got to this question on the Harvard forum. Also, I don't know where you are in your application process, but keep in mind that the decision isn't really yours to make. Even stellar candidates will get rejected from some schools that they think they ought to have been accepted to. Likewise, average candidates get into top schools all the time. Don't just trust rankings to guide your decision to apply to medical schools - do a little more in depth research and see if you can find some students to talk to. At the end of the day, you will be happier (and a more successful applicant) if you find reasons to love various schools that don't depend on their rank.
OK, let me re-phrase it. If I were accepted by both a research school and a primary-care school, other things being equal, and I want to go for some specialty, which school will be a better place to train?
Complete 8/25, Lizzy m 65. Really surprised I survived the rejection wave/wasn't screened out immediately. Thoughts?
There will most certainly be another rejection wave. The question is not if but when..Complete 8/25, Lizzy m 65. Really surprised I survived the rejection wave/wasn't screened out immediately. Thoughts?
Thanks for the reply. I guess I did not word my question properly and should not have listed the school names that might have raised eyebrows. It was just a general and hypothetical question; so I just randomly picked some schools from the two ranking lists.
OK, let me re-phrase it. If I were accepted by both a research school and a primary-care school, other things being equal, and I want to go for some specialty, which school will be a better place to train?
The primary care rankings essentially hold no bearing whatsoever. They factor in the percentage of students graduated from those schools who went into primary care, which is a very personal decision and reflects very little upon the institutions themselves. You'd be more likely to find the mentors/research/resources that you need at the "research" schools, although some of the "primary care" schools that you listed are excellent research schools as well.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the reply. I guess I did not word my question properly and should not have listed the school names that might have raised eyebrows. It was just a general and hypothetical question; so I just randomly picked some schools from the two ranking lists.
OK, let me re-phrase it. If I were accepted by both a research school and a primary-care school, other things being equal, and I want to go for some specialty, which school will be a better place to train?
Research rankings correlate with grant money. That being said, the rankings are informally interpreted as prestige rankings. Prestige does matter to an extent in academia, so it is useful for this purpose.
Thanks for the reply. So those schools high on 'primary care' ranking just had more students matched to primary care residency, for whatever reasons most of them are state schools. It does not mean that they are better equipped to train primary care doctors over other specialty or better than 'research' schools to do so.The primary care rankings essentially hold no bearing whatsoever. They factor in the percentage of students graduated from those schools who went into primary care, which is a very personal decision and reflects very little upon the institutions themselves. You'd be more likely to find the mentors/research/resources that you need at the "research" schools, although some of the "primary care" schools that you listed are excellent research schools as well.
Ok so I'm a little confused by this which was posted on the Facebook page: "Decisions for applicants who interviewed in September and early October will be sent by December 15th. Applicants interviewed in mid-October through now will hear by the end of January."
I'm one of the applicants who interview in mid-October (17th-18th) but we were told December 15th by the dean.
For those of you who interview October 24th and 25th, what date were you guys told?
I don't think I can handle an extra month of anxiety :/
I'm one of the applicants who interview in mid-October (17th-18th) but we were told December 15th by the dean.
For those of you who interview October 24th and 25th, what date were you guys told?
I don't think I can handle an extra month of anxiety :/
thats strange. i interviewed early november and was informed we would hear back end of januaryI interviewed in November and my interviewer told me that we would hear back sometime in December. I'm guessing this Facebook status means that they pushed back the schedule?
Thanks for the reply. So those schools high on 'primary care' ranking just had more students matched to primary care residency, for whatever reasons most of them are state schools. It does not mean that they are better equipped to train primary care doctors over other specialty or better than 'research' schools to do so.
Exactly. FWIW, you'll be hard pressed to find concrete differences in how schools are more or less prepared to train doctors for X specialty, and I would strongly recommend against using this as a criteria for school selection regardless.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K