2013-2014 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II just a little bit ago! Check my MDApps for other info.

Members don't see this ad.

II earlier today! I was complete 8/21 and small-pooled on 9/26.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've just scheduled my interview on Oct 28th. I am living on Long Island right now. Any recommendations for traveling? Appreciate it if anyone can help me :)

I've just scheduled my interview on Oct 28th. I am living on Long Island right now. Any recommendations for traveling? Appreciate it if anyone can help me :)

I flew in and took a taxi to the hotel I was staying at; the taxi cost about $60, and the hotel wasn't exorbitant. Just make sure that you call the hotel itself and don't use a service like expedia. You may get a better rate than advertised.

Just submitted my supplemental. Been procrastinating on this one for quite awhile. I hope im not TOO late! :(

Just submitted my supplemental. Been procrastinating on this one for quite awhile. I hope im not TOO late! :(
Don't worry about it right now. The most important thing is that you have,indeed, submitted. Now go and enjoy your life :).

Received my complete email today! Now the real waiting begins...

Hey, I have a couple logistics questions..
Do they screen before sending out secondaries? If so, anyone know the cut-offs? Their general feelings toward "underdog" applicants?
I just submitted AMCAS last week so I won't be verified for a while I bet. Is it pointless to submit a secondary (if I get one) at this point in the game or is it too late?
Anyone know their general feelings towards non-trad and OOS students? I'm a Louisiana resident, but I have pretty strong ties to Chicago (used to live there, lots of family). (And I would do unspeakable things for the chance to move back..)

Hey, I have a couple logistics questions..
Do they screen before sending out secondaries? If so, anyone know the cut-offs? Their general feelings toward "underdog" applicants?
I just submitted AMCAS last week so I won't be verified for a while I bet. Is it pointless to submit a secondary (if I get one) at this point in the game or is it too late?
Anyone know their general feelings towards non-trad and OOS students? I'm a Louisiana resident, but I have pretty strong ties to Chicago (used to live there, lots of family). (And I would do unspeakable things for the chance to move back..)

They screen. No explicit cutoffs. EDIT: Sorry, I misread the question. They don't screen before sending a SECONDARY. My bad.

It's not pointless to submit; interview invitations in previous years have gone out until early April.

We're not a state school, so IS and OOS applicants are considered equally. We have matriculants from at least 10 states that I know of. A good portion are from California.

Finally, keep in mind that the medical school is not in Chicago; it's about an hour north. For the first two yeas, you spend most of your learning time on campus. For the second two years, most students live in Chicago.

Good luck!

Last edited:
They screen. No explicit cutoffs.

It's not pointless to submit; interview invitations in previous years have gone out until early April.

We're not a state school, so IS and OOS applicants are considered equally. We have matriculants from at least 10 states that I know of. A good portion are from California.

Finally, keep in mind that the medical school is not in Chicago; it's about an hour north. For the first two yeas, you spend most of your learning time on campus. For the second two years, most students live in Chicago.

Good luck!

I'm appealing to this school and just want a second opinion on something that has been weighing on my mind (in general, not necessarily school specific). How much does a late application affect a candidate, let's say September. My premed advisor basically said it was terrible, but last semester I met an adcom from a top 10 told me that students always say this to him, but he always tells them to just apply and this doesn't really impact the schools decision. Thoughts?

so i've been complete since early september and still no word....when should i start to worry about not hearing back?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm appealing to this school and just want a second opinion on something that has been weighing on my mind (in general, not necessarily school specific). How much does a late application affect a candidate, let's say September. My premed advisor basically said it was terrible, but last semester I met an adcom from a top 10 told me that students always say this to him, but he always tells them to just apply and this doesn't really impact the schools decision. Thoughts?

Who knows? Some data on SDN suggests that students who submit late are less likely to get interviews and get accepted, which makes sense based on the fact that interviews and acceptances are offered on a rolling basis.

However, I wouldn't necessarily trust that AdCom member; anyone running an admissions committee has an incentive to have as many students applying as possible. More students applying means more secondary fees.

You definitely have a shot at getting into a school if you apply late, but I would say there is some disadvantage to applying late. How much? I have no idea.

Who knows? Some data on SDN suggests that students who submit late are less likely to get interviews and get accepted, which makes sense based on the fact that interviews and acceptances are offered on a rolling basis.

However, I wouldn't necessarily trust that AdCom member; anyone running an admissions committee has an incentive to have as many students applying as possible. More students applying means more secondary fees.

You definitely have a shot at getting into a school if you apply late, but I would say there is some disadvantage to applying late. How much? I have no idea.

Oh yeah! I totally forgot the money factor smh. Thanks.

Just small pooled, was complete 2nd week of September - first good news of season!

anyone know when they are offering the first batch of acceptances? i don't believe a specific date was given on my interview day

anyone know when they are offering the first batch of acceptances? i don't believe a specific date was given on my interview day

I was told 4 to 6 weeks.
It appears last year's first acceptances went out on Oct 22, so I guess that's a week after the AAMC recommended date.

Does anyone know if there's a way to check your application status on the website? I can't seem to find anything.

No. I don't think neurotically checking the website for an update on your application when they're ultimately going to e-mail you anyway isn't mentally healthy.

Yeah, I don't think having someone slap together an interface is asking too much when you're asking 105 bucks a pop, but I guess that's the neurotic pre-med in me talking.

Yeah, I don't think having someone slap together an interface is asking too much when you're asking 105 bucks a pop, but I guess that's the neurotic pre-med in me talking.

I dont know about you but I prefer to not have to check the status. I would rather have all the communication by email, rather than check a status every hour of the day for two months.

I dont know about you but I prefer to not have to check the status. I would rather have all the communication by email, rather than check a status every hour of the day for two months.

I don't think anyone knows true pain until they momentarily let their hopes get high enough to think the tenth Healthy Paws Pet Insurance email of the day is an interview invite. At least with the app. site I can pretend...

If a bad website is a dealbreaker for you, then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you about CMS. . . :p

And you're right. It isn't asking too much. They simply don't subscribe to the notion that it's a necessity.

If a bad website is a dealbreaker for you, then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you about CMS. . . :p

And you're right. It isn't asking too much. They simply don't subscribe to the notion that it's a necessity.

I wish I could say anything would be a deal breaker at this point, but here I am adding NYMC in October... :p

My secondary application was complete on 8/7/13. Have not heard anything from them yet. Is this normal? Should I call the office to check? Can I send in update information?

Small pooled: 10/8/13
Secondary submitted: 8/21/13
MCAT 32N, 3.75 sGPA

not sure what the actual meaning of 'small pooled' is other than that i am not 'rejected'...yet.

My secondary application was complete on 8/7/13. Have not heard anything from them yet. Is this normal? Should I call the office to check? Can I send in update information?

It's normal. No updates are accepted pre-interview. If you got an e-mail saying your application is complete, there's nothing you can do.

This is the nature of a "rolling admissions" process, and applies to all schools, so here's my best shot at a simple explanation. Think of it from a mathematical perspective. For example's sake, let's say 2000 applicants are Johnny on the spot with their apps and have secondaries in and ready for review by late July. Again, for example sake, let's say they'll interview the top ten percent of those students. So, if you're complete by then, you'll have to be "better" in the adcom's eyes than at least 1800 applicants. Then, let's say every month going forward until December 1000 more applicants submit their secondaries and are being reviewed by the adcom. Each month you wait, you increase the number of applicants that you have to beat out by 900. Now, that's just a basic mathematical representation. If you want to get more of an idea of why it is so important to submit early, consider this: as the cycle continues, it would behoove this (and every) school to interview the absolute best applicants available at every stage. So, those applicants with the top scores (again, just for examples sake), will be filtered to the top of the pile for the adcom to review and grant an interview.

Long story short, timing is a huge part of the acceptance battle, ESPECIALLY if your stats are on or near the border of competitive (as mine were). Two years ago I wasn't interviewed at all (secondary submitted in October). And last year I was interviewed on the very first day you could interview (submitted by July). Keep in mind that an adcom from a top ten school would have a very skewed view due to the fact that they likely don't even consider people with a sub 34 MCAT (the vast minority), so timing wouldn't matter as much for those schools since they're only seeing a handful of applicants meeting their standards for an interview invite.

That said, don't panic if you did submit late. I can't speak for other schools, but for CMS the application process is pretty holistic, so scores that are below the averages for this school does not necessarily weigh you down as much as it might at some other schools.

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if this is unclear or if you have any other questions.

im sure this may have been discussed before, but does anyone know the stats for

small pool --> to interview invite, including time frame. thanks.

Sitting in biology and the teacher just went into what Rosalind Franklin did. Cool stuff!

Small pooled: 10/8/13
Secondary submitted: 8/21/13
MCAT 32N, 3.75 sGPA

not sure what the actual meaning of 'small pooled' is other than that i am not 'rejected'...yet.
It means, as they mention in an email, that you have moved to the pool of applicants that they may invite for an interview. It's a good thing, since, without being small-pooled, there is no way you'd get invited for an interview :). Your stats look pretty good too, so you probably can adopt a more positive attitude :).

Reactions: 1 user
This is the nature of a "rolling admissions" process, and applies to all schools, so here's my best shot at a simple explanation. Think of it from a mathematical perspective. For example's sake, let's say 2000 applicants are Johnny on the spot with their apps and have secondaries in and ready for review by late July. Again, for example sake, let's say they'll interview the top ten percent of those students. So, if you're complete by then, you'll have to be "better" in the adcom's eyes than at least 1800 applicants. Then, let's say every month going forward until December 1000 more applicants submit their secondaries and are being reviewed by the adcom. Each month you wait, you increase the number of applicants that you have to beat out by 900. Now, that's just a basic mathematical representation. If you want to get more of an idea of why it is so important to submit early, consider this: as the cycle continues, it would behoove this (and every) school to interview the absolute best applicants available at every stage. So, those applicants with the top scores (again, just for examples sake), will be filtered to the top of the pile for the adcom to review and grant an interview.

Long story short, timing is a huge part of the acceptance battle, ESPECIALLY if your stats are on or near the border of competitive (as mine were). Two years ago I wasn't interviewed at all (secondary submitted in October). And last year I was interviewed on the very first day you could interview (submitted by July). Keep in mind that an adcom from a top ten school would have a very skewed view due to the fact that they likely don't even consider people with a sub 34 MCAT (the vast minority), so timing wouldn't matter as much for those schools since they're only seeing a handful of applicants meeting their standards for an interview invite.

That said, don't panic if you did submit late. I can't speak for other schools, but for CMS the application process is pretty holistic, so scores that are below the averages for this school does not necessarily weigh you down as much as it might at some other schools.

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if this is unclear or if you have any other questions.

Thank you for such a thorough explanation!

I think I am the only person who got small pooled yet no ii haha.

I think I am the only person who got small pooled yet no ii haha.

I'm sure there's quite a few ppl. Myself included. I was small pooled about 10 days ago so I hope to hear back in a week or two.

I have it on good confidence from one of our administrators that the small pool is "not a very small pool."

Have low expectations and high hopes, guys. It's the key to happiness.

theoretically, what would be the point of telling us we got small pooled then?

It seems like it is only an attempt at getting applicants riled up as it offers no extra steps for us to go through (ie secondary essays/interview).

It seems like it is only an attempt at getting applicants riled up as it offers no extra steps for us to go through (ie secondary essays/interview).

I'm not disagreeing with you. As a former applicant, I would suggest you forget you got the small-pool e-mail and wait for an e-mail with real news. Don't celebrate and don't lament until something real comes.

even if the small pool is large, its still not as big as the general applicant pool. with the small pool email at least you know you still got a shot at an interview, cause if you dont get small pooled.... well probably not happening.

personally id rather know my status than be in the complete dark, so thats the point of them telling us. to update us.

Got a rental car from O'Hare for tomorrow, for the 10/11 interview. PM me if you want to split costs, which would amount to like $20 or $25.

If anyone interviewed from SoCal, could you please provide some details on your travel arrangements? Thanks!

Also, if anyone is interviewing 11/11, also from SoCal, PM if you'd like to plan our travels together!