2013-2014 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone been rejected post-interview yet? It's about to be almost 11 weeks for me.
Did you email the admissions office asking what is going on?

Members don't see this ad.

I called last week and she said it shouldn't be too long now. Curious if I am the only one that has waited this long. I looked at previous posts and I didn't find anyone who was rejected post-interview yet. So I'm thinking the worst. Time will tell I guess.

I called last week and she said it shouldn't be too long now. Curious if I am the only one that has waited this long. I looked at previous posts and I didn't find anyone who was rejected post-interview yet. So I'm thinking the worst. Time will tell I guess.
I see. There was someone who got accepted after waiting for like 2 months, so there is still hope. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed here recently. I was very impressed by the staff and students. Now I'm really hoping for favorable news.:xf:

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone who interviewed on or after 12/20 hear back yet?

Has anyone been accepted off the waitlist yet, or should we not get our hopes up until May?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard great things about this school and am really excited for my interview next week. To those who have already interviewed, do you have any comments/advice/general impressions? Is it fairly laid-back and conversational or more formal and probing?

I've heard great things about this school and am really excited for my interview next week. To those who have already interviewed, do you have any comments/advice/general impressions? Is it fairly laid-back and conversational or more formal and probing?
In my experience, it was very laid back and conversational. The day was very well organized. I felt like my interviewers really wanted to get a sense of me as a person and learn about the things that motivate me. So just be yourself :)

Did anybody hear from Stony Brook post-interview recently? It has been very quiet for a while now. I am thinking they might be very conservative towards the end of the application cycle since there are less seats left.

Can a current Stony Brook SOM student or anyone else very knowledgeable about the curriculum changes for the entering class of 2014 break down what's changing?

Can a current Stony Brook SOM student or anyone else very knowledgeable about the curriculum changes for the entering class of 2014 break down what's changing?
I can only give you the basics of what will probably be happening (all talk of curriculum changes include the words "but nothing is set in stone"). The first semester, which comprises anatomy and biochem, will be shortened by a few weeks and end around Thanksgiving. After that, it will be about a year of block scheduling based on organ systems, then time off to study for step 1, and then rotations begin in February or March of 2nd year. The "doctoring" course (history and physical, medical ethics, biostats, etc.) was previously integrated throughout the first 2 years, but now will be given in 1-2 week blocks between organ systems. Presumably there will be more elective time before you have to submit residency apps and go on interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anybody hear from Stony Brook post-interview recently? It has been very quiet for a while now. I am thinking they might be very conservative towards the end of the application cycle since there are less seats left.

I actually JUST received my acceptance here by email at 4:10 pm today lol. I'm so excited!!! (I'm a 32 mcat and 3.93 OOS) :):):):)

Reactions: 5 users
accepted today by email- interviewed 12/20. so thrilled!

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today!!! Interviewed 1/16 and unbelievably excited. Anyone know when second look is?

Reactions: 1 users
Will SB notify you if you've been waitlisted?

Did admissions contact you about second look already? I haven't heard a peep since turning in my signed forms.

I haven't heard anything about second look. For some reason, I didn't think stony brook had one. There was something in the acceptance packet about "letting them know if you wanted to visit again." Let us know if you find out!

Rejected pre-interview via e-mail just now. I really was interested in Stony Brook, but on the heels of my first acceptance yesterday, doesn't sting as much. I applied kinda late, complete in early October, so I presume that hurt me. Good luck everyone!

I seriously don't get it. 13 weeks post interview and nothing. I feel like I was forgotten. Anyone interview on or after 10/31 with Dr. Bronson and/or Dr. Susman?

I seriously don't get it. 13 weeks post interview and nothing. I feel like I was forgotten. Anyone interview on or after 10/31 with Dr. Bronson and/or Dr. Susman?

Have you contacted the school? I PM'd you.

Hi Guys, did the admissions office notify you when they received the letter and form after acceptance? Or are we supposed to contact them to check? Thanks! :)

Hi Guys, did the admissions office notify you when they received the letter and form after acceptance? Or are we supposed to contact them to check? Thanks! :)
They emailed me once they got the forms and my payment went through. Took around a week

They emailed me once they got the forms and my payment went through. Took around a week
Thanks! My forms are expected to arrive by the end of this week so hopefully they will let me know next week before reaching the deadline.

Interviewed 1/10, accepted 1/27.

Out of curiosity what are we supposed to write on the "letter stating your intention to enroll"? Are three sentences enough or is it supposed to be an actual formal letter?

Interviewed 1/10, accepted 1/27.

Out of curiosity what are we supposed to write on the "letter stating your intention to enroll"? Are three sentences enough or is it supposed to be an actual formal letter?

Don't fret over it, you're in. Just politely say thank you, you accept, etc.

How long does it take after the acceptance email to receive the actual packet? I'm wondering if the postal service lost mine... o_O

Waitlisted. Interviewed 12/20. IS. 35. 3.8. This one stung a little. Don't know what I was missing or what I did wrong o_O

My fellow ACCEPTEES! I have a question. Did anybody else receive a "congratulations! here's a list of things to do/see for matriculation" package for Stony Brook? Because I did NOT, but for Down State I got a whole envelope with information about immunizations, living arrangements, upcoming events, shadowing student program, etc.

My fellow ACCEPTEES! I have a question. Did anybody else receive a "congratulations! here's a list of things to do/see for matriculation" package for Stony Brook? Because I did NOT, but for Down State I got a whole envelope with information about immunizations, living arrangements, upcoming events, shadowing student program, etc.

Nope, I didn't get anything like that aside from the one sheet suggesting I take biochem.

EDIT: Double-checked just to make sure and the only mail I received came with the original acceptance letter.

Last edited:
How long does it take after the acceptance email to receive the actual packet? I'm wondering if the postal service lost mine... o_O

Took mine about a week and a half and I'm in-state.

Took mine about a week and a half and I'm in-state.

Thanks for letting me know! :)

I'm so excited! Stony Brook is my top choice right now. See you guys in August!

Congrats to everyone that got accepted! I have a few questions regarding housing arrangement and thank in advance anyone that might have answers.

I didn't find any information on housing in the acceptance package.

1. Is graduate student housing open to med students?
2. If so, is it on- or off- campus?
3. What is the application process?
4. Is there a wait list somewhere?
5. If so, is it open now for signing up?

Cheers!

Congrats to everyone that got accepted! I have a few questions regarding housing arrangement and thank in advance anyone that might have answers.

I didn't find any information on housing in the acceptance package.

1. Is graduate student housing open to med students?
2. If so, is it on- or off- campus?
3. What is the application process?
4. Is there a wait list somewhere?
5. If so, is it open now for signing up?

Cheers!

1. Graduate student housing is available
2. On campus, some closer than others to the hospital
3. Done through the SOLAR system
4. Waitlist i don't think started yet
5. Just go on SOLAR and put in a deposit for a room and you should be good

FWIW, Take a look at off campus housing.. many people opt to live off campus, if not their first year, definitely second year onward. You can save yourself some money and its not a big deal to commute from close by since you'll need a car living here anyway.

Just got an email saying that April 11th is second look. Really excited to meet everyone!!

Reactions: 2 users