2013-2014 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
in!!! yipee!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"Your admission status/term is not eligible for deposit processing. Please contact Admissions for further information."

anyone else get this error message when trying to make deposit???

"Your admission status/term is not eligible for deposit processing. Please contact Admissions for further information."

anyone else get this error message when trying to make deposit???

Nope, but I waited a day or two to make the deposit. Call the office on Monday if you still see that error message.

II just now! Complete mid-to-late November.

Reactions: 1 user
The fact that I'm only just now hearing back from stony brook (after almost 4 months!) is pretty upsetting. Now I'm forced to interview WAY late in the cycle as if I was too lazy to submit my application on time or something. Part of me just wants to withdraw. I want to go somewhere that actually WANTS me, not one that'll settle for me.

FYI, I know I'm being ridiculous guys. I just don't get why they took so long. Well, either way, I've now officially heard back from every school I've applied to. Feels good.

The fact that I'm only just now hearing back from stony brook (after almost 4 months!) is pretty upsetting. Now I'm forced to interview WAY late in the cycle as if I was too lazy to submit my application on time or something. Part of me just wants to withdraw. I want to go somewhere that actually WANTS me, not one that'll settle for me.

FYI, I know I'm being ridiculous guys. I just don't get why they took so long. Well, either way, I've now officially heard back from every school I've applied to. Feels good.
Bro., you are not alone. I was complete in late July. Haven't heard a thing from Stony Brook for the last 4 months. So far I have 9 interview invitations, 6 rejections and 2 acceptances.
Will wait to see when do I get a response from them.

I havent heard back from 30. Turned in most 2ndaries in late august/mid sept. Super excited to see stony in late january though!

Accepted! Interviewed 10/31. Top choice right now – I can't believe it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Accepted via email just now as well! Interview 11/7 3.65/32 IS! TOP CHOICE WOOOOOOOO

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted! A dream come true! IS, interviewed late October

Accepted this morning as well! IS, non-traditional, LizzyM =75, app complete in mid September, II received at the end of September, interviewed at the end of October.

I am so grateful for this acceptance. Best of luck to everyone else!!!

Reactions: 2 users
II today!! Complete October 25th
3.85/35
Canadian

Finally accepted to my top choice!! :D

Interviewed early October, and took almost two full months to hear back but FINALLYYYY.
~3.75/~35

I'll most likely be matriculating. Is there a facebook group for future first years to link up? if not, ill be more than glad to start it.

Couldn't find it so here ya go!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/551926374883277/

If you're more than likely to matriculate then request to join and ill add you!

Last edited:
I'll most likely be matriculating. Is there a facebook group for future first years to link up? if not, ill be more than glad to start it

I actually looked for one myself and couldn't find one, but I would love to link up with potential future classmates. +1 for an unofficial group.

I havent heard back from 30. Turned in most 2ndaries in late august/mid sept. Super excited to see stony in late january though!
I haven't heard from 16 schools and I turned in everything by end of August as well, good to know I'm not the only one waiting!

Hey guys -- what are interviews like here? Open or closed file? Student interviewers? Any info would be great!

Hey guys -- what are interviews like here? Open or closed file? Student interviewers? Any info would be great!

Open file. There are two interviews. Can be with either an MD, PhD or student

what's the earliest anyone heard back post-interview?

Open file. There are two interviews. Can be with either an MD, PhD or student

Were they pretty formal with tough questions every interviewer has to ask, or more conversational? Also, any idea what time interview day ends?

Thanks for your help! Really looking forward to my visit

Were they pretty formal with tough questions every interviewer has to ask, or more conversational? Also, any idea what time interview day ends?

Thanks for your help! Really looking forward to my visit

Pretty informal for me (interviewed 11/15). I thought most questions were easy... the day ending depends on the first interview time... But you should be done around 3 at the latest (that was the last person during my interview)

Were they pretty formal with tough questions every interviewer has to ask, or more conversational?

I interviewed with two faculty members, one clinical and one pre-clinical. Both interviewers went through the standard interview questions as well as the experiences I listed in my file, but one of the interviews was heavily focused on tougher ethical situations as well. Really was not stressful though, both interviews were very pleasant and conversational.

Anybody hear anything post-interview this week?

Can anyone give me advice on how to get from ISP to Stony Brook? Is taxi the only way? Also, is there a student host program, or is it best to just stay at the Hilton or Holiday Inn?

If by ISP you mean Macarthur Airport, then yeah, you're not going to find a better way than taxi. There's the bus system, but the time you waste and the headache you'll have if you miss a single transfer is not worth it.. buses come once every hour or so.

Do we get notified if we are on the high priority wait list? If so, when?

I'm about to complete 7 weeks post interview. I hope they are sending out responses this week.

Do we get notified if we are on the high priority wait list? If so, when?
I think the HPWL only begins towards the end of interview season. It's for the applicants who interviewed in Feb or March that would have been accepted if there were any acceptances left to hand out. Anyone waitlisted before then is on the regular waitlist.

Put on waiting list today after 11/1 interview, 32 mcat 3.85 cgpa OOS. So just like Vincent Chase always says "everything will work out", cause this school is pretty awesome

Last edited:
Put on waiting list today after 11/1 interview, 32 mcat 3.85 cgpa OOS. The bright side is that last year it looks like they accepted 225 people off the wait list! So just like Vincent Chase always says "everything will work out", cause this school is pretty awesome
Really?

124 matriculated, 349 were accepted. I don't think they over-accept so it sounds like a good amount were pulled off the wait list to fill the spots of those who decided to go elsewhere.

I hope you're right, but from what I understand schools generally offer acceptances to at least twice their class size. You may be thinking of Hofstra. They don't over accept because they are a new school and are not allowed to over accept, or something along those lines.

Hey guys! So I just had my interview today and am a little worried because my interviewer told me that I should have really had more clinical experience. He said I had a good interview, but I can't stop thinking about what he said!

I got my EMT certification two years ago/worked as an EMT (~150hrs) and did two research positions last year on top of shadowing (~250hrs).. what else could I have even done? I thought I had above average experience as an EMT but apparently not! Or, do you guys think this may have just been my interviewers opinion and is not reflective of the admissions team?

Hey guys! So I just had my interview today and am a little worried because my interviewer told me that I should have really had more clinical experience. He said I had a good interview, but I can't stop thinking about what he said!

I got my EMT certification two years ago/worked as an EMT (~150hrs) and did two research positions last year on top of shadowing (~250hrs).. what else could I have even done? I thought I had above average experience as an EMT but apparently not! Or, do you guys think this may have just been my interviewers opinion and is not reflective of the admissions team?
I have comparable clinical experiences (also and EMT) and was accepted, so don't worry. Your interviewer doesn't make the final decision, he's just one opinion of many....