2013-2014 University of California - Los Angeles (Geffen) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Send them an envelope full of sardines. I hear they love sardines. And onions.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Send them an envelope full of sardines. I hear they love sardines. And onions.
I'll send them my first born child if it'd get me accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What about dem waitlists? Anybody heard about when they initiate?
I don't believe they formally waitlist, but the consensus seems to be that if you weren't accepted in the Feb/Mar groups, you should be prepared to wait until after May 15 for more acceptances

What about dem waitlists? Anybody heard about when they initiate?

Going from last years thread it seems like they do another big acceptance late may/early June and then do a massive rejection shortly after that. Around mid June they send out Waitlist letters and it seems like they have two categories of waitlisters.

Going from last years thread it seems like they do another big acceptance late may/early June and then do a massive rejection shortly after that. Around mid June they send out Waitlist letters and it seems like they have two categories of waitlisters.
Yes, this is basically how the rodeo goes. Hang in there.

Was there anyone that actually got accepted during the late Feb/Mar interviews, or were we just destined to wait til May :(

Thanks guys! I hope there's a lot of movement during the next few months!!!
I hear a lot of the people who interviewed late (february and march) get accepted in late May/early June.
(This is coming from a guy who interviewed in December).

So I just called the admission's office and they said that the class is full as of now and that the committee members would reconvene after May 15 for additional acceptances. Also, the waitlist-process starts sometime in June.

Hang in there peeps. I know it sucks waiting but try and enjoy some of your spring and summer. Hopefully there will be some movement for those on wait list.

Reactions: 2 users
Does UCLA historically have lots of wait list movement / additional acceptances post May 15?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does UCLA historically have lots of wait list movement / additional acceptances post May 15?
I think someone mentioned earlier that almost half the class acceptances are expected to go out after May 15

Really? The closed FB group already has over 150 members.
The fb group has many ms1's, and a few ms2's and ms3's in it too. Don't take that number to be representative of anything.

Has anyone received any information regarding the physical exam or other requirements yet?

Has anyone received any information regarding the physical exam or other requirements yet?

For those who have been accepted: you should be checking the student checklist periodically because it does get updated with new stuff and you don't usually get a notification. So check it out at least once a week.

Hey All,

Does anyone have the break down for IS vs OOS IIs/acceptances? MSAR doesn't seem to have it. Thanks!

Just curious…. Does UCLA re-distribute Geffen/LoT scholarships that applicants have turned down?

Also, to go along with what Juan said above-- the health physical form and vaccine titers took a little while for me to get together so get started on that early rather than later if you know you're coming. Esp if you'll be traveling this summer. The wording of the requirements for vaccines is a little strong and they don't really care too much if you don't have everything all squared away by Day 1, but it makes it a lot less of a headache for you if you can get everything taken care of before school starts.

Notably, if you are negative for HepB vaccine titers, the vaccine course requires 3 shots over 6 months. If you start it before you turn 22, it's a lot cheaper (at least in my case it would have been).

Where I can find a list of required vaccines? Or my family doc should know?

Thank you so much for your help here!

To be thorough:

Measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, varicella titers must all be confirmed positive by blood test. If you are negative, get the vaccine or booster.

Test negative for TB (use the blood test if possible).

Show positive titer for Hep B or get your first 2 shots (1 month apart) ASAP. The third shot is 6 months after the second one, but it is okay to start med school with only the first two done. I believe you can also refuse the Hep B vaccination for "religious reasons," but I am not sure how this would affect your status.

For more info (and a more official document), go to:

http://www.studenthealth.ucla.edu/default.aspx

Then click "Services" --> "Health Clearance" --> "Professional School Health Clearance". Then Login with your Geffen username and password.

Best,
C

If it hasn't been posted on the accepted students portal yet, then don't worry. But what was posted above looks right, you essentially just have to get a copy of your vaccine report and send it to UCLA. If it doesn't show titers then you need to get blood drawn for that and if any are negative then you just have to get more shots. Most of it is really easy but it took me a while to get the HepB requirement squared away so I wanted to give you guys a heads up :)

Just curious…. Does UCLA re-distribute Geffen/LoT scholarships that applicants have turned down?
This is unclear and my guess would be no due to the fact that not all of the scholarships where given out last year. (But that was last year and this is this year so it could be different).

The answer is no because to my knowledge nobody is stupid enough to turn down the Geffen scholarship. :naughty:

Reactions: 1 users
The answer is no because to my knowledge nobody is stupid enough to turn down the Geffen scholarship. :naughty:

I met someone at second look who was deciding between the Geffen Scholarship at UCLA or a full ride at WashU. So...technically, it could happen lol.

I met someone at second look who was deciding between the Geffen Scholarship at UCLA or a full ride at WashU. So...technically, it could happen lol.

Apparently there were also ppl debating between a full tuition at Penn/Columbia/Duke and the Geffen Scholarship. Seems like the yield of Geffen recipients last yr was roughly 1/2 to 2/3 (though I should note this is all hearsay from Geffen students)

Last edited:

I also met a few people who got the Geffen but were contemplating other schools
I wonder if the recipients of the LoT Scholarship (full tuition) can get upgraded to the Geffen (if some Geffen scholarships are turned down)

It seems like most if not all Geffen scholars are deciding between some amazing schools. It will be interesting to see how many of us will end up being classmates next year!

I also met a few people who got the Geffen but were contemplating other schools
I wonder if the recipients of the LoT Scholarship (full tuition) can get upgraded to the Geffen (if some Geffen scholarships are turned down)
My understanding is that they are different scholarships and therefore have different candidates for selection. I wouldn't look at it as a higher tier and lower tier scholarship.

Just received a Geffen scholarship / acceptance today.

Reactions: 6 users
Just received a Geffen scholarship / acceptance today.

Congrats Nicco :) You're killing it this application cycle! Did you receive the scholarship and acceptance simultaneously? (also, do you have to make a decision by 5/1?)

Last edited:
Now I'm gonna be once again neurotically checking the online app status to see if it'll be updated before May 15th. Although, I'm no superstar so I doubt it'll change. But maybe if I check enough times, right right RIGHT :heckyeah::heckyeah::heckyeah:

I'm in the same boat... I think it's so absurd that we haven't received a decision yet.

I'm in the same boat... I think it's so absurd that we haven't received a decision yet.

I can understand your frustration. Though, don't get your hopes up until August 2nd (the first day of classes). I spoke with students at DGSOM who were accepted at the end of July!

Hang in there, BisonMan! Maybe we will be classmates after all is said and done! :)

Hang in there. It's May now and so the dominos should begin moving for those of you waiting to hear back.

Reactions: 3 users
Just withdrew from Geffen :( It was an incredibly, incredibly tough choice, but hopefully this will help move everything along. Best of luck guys :)

Reactions: 7 users