2014-2015 Ohio State University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone who was accepted received anything in the mail etc besides the initial phone call and acceptance letter on the application portal? Accepted 10/15 and jchillin waiting for some additional information! 🙂 Thanks
 
On my interview day they gave us a date on when we will will get our decisions. And that we will view those decisions through the application portal. Does this mean that this is how they are doing all decisions and there won't be phone calls anymore?
 
On my interview day they gave us a date on when we will will get our decisions. And that we will view those decisions through the application portal. Does this mean that this is how they are doing all decisions and there won't be phone calls anymore?
They said that to our interview group too but still called all those accepted... Rejected and wait list was on the portal
 
It was several weeks but I was with the first group. It was on the midnight prior to the day they said I would know
 
Has anyone who was accepted received anything in the mail etc besides the initial phone call and acceptance letter on the application portal? Accepted 10/15 and jchillin waiting for some additional information! 🙂 Thanks

Accepted 10/15 as well, and I've gotten nothing since, don't worry about it 🙂
 
Has anyone who was accepted received anything in the mail etc besides the initial phone call and acceptance letter on the application portal? Accepted 10/15 and jchillin waiting for some additional information! 🙂 Thanks
Same situation. I'm sure we're good!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
anyone else who interviewed recently freaking out for tomorrow? Do we know what time they update the portal?
 
They said on interview day that the average student who "has success" at OSU has a 34 MCAT and a 3.7 gpa. I interviewed there last Monday and I've got a 34 and a 3.67 overall, 3.35 science, but I also talked to someone on interview day with a 36 MCAT and a lower GPA (3.4 I think she said?). I think they put some weight into both but the interviews are numbers-blind so the faculty and student interviewer have only seen your essays/activities and recs.
 
I believe thats how it works. Everyone I know who has interviewed there so far has had an incredible MCAT.

Yikes! I'm assuming those of us with a sub-par MCAT might only get looked at very late in the cycle? I wasn't aware that OSU primarily focused on numbers rather than the application as a whole. Bummer!
 
Yikes! I'm assuming those of us with a sub-par MCAT might only get looked at very late in the cycle? I wasn't aware that OSU primarily focused on numbers rather than the application as a whole. Bummer!
I was told by someone on the admissions commitee that their approach was "very hollistic" and that only 1/3 of your application's "grade" is from your MCAT and gpa. But I have me doubts...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yikes! I'm assuming those of us with a sub-par MCAT might only get looked at very late in the cycle? I wasn't aware that OSU primarily focused on numbers rather than the application as a whole. Bummer!
This is just my 2 cents, but I believe they generally use numbers to determine the order in which they actually open and look at the files. Therefore, applicants w/ lower MCATs will for the most part be looked at sometime after winter break towards the end. As soon as they start looking at your app beyond the numbers, it will become more holistic and those with lower scores will have a good shot. There are only so many applicants with incredible MCATs after all and many of them have plenty of options for med school.
 
This is just my 2 cents, but I believe they generally use numbers to determine the order in which they actually open and look at the files. Therefore, applicants w/ lower MCATs will for the most part be looked at sometime after winter break towards the end. As soon as they start looking at your app beyond the numbers, it will become more holistic and those with lower scores will have a good shot. There are only so many applicants with incredible MCATs after all and many of them have plenty of options for med school.

Brilliant, thanks for your $0.02, that makes me feel better. Does anyone know offhand if they extend interviews beyond Christmas break? I'll have to do some digging into past years' threads. Keeping my fingers crossed for some OSU love 🙂
 
Brilliant, thanks for your $0.02, that makes me feel better. Does anyone know offhand if they extend interviews beyond Christmas break? I'll have to do some digging into past years' threads. Keeping my fingers crossed for some OSU love 🙂
They definitely do!!! I know people that interviewed during the spring and were accepted right away! Which, if you ask me, would be way less stressful than getting an interview in September and being deferred until June (which has also happened to some of my friends)!! Just my $0.02! Hang in there!!
 
Last edited:
They definitely do!!! I know people that interviewed during the spring and were accepted right away! Which, if you ask me, would be way less stressful than getting an interview in September and being deferred until June (which has also happened to some of my friends)!! Just my $0.02! Hang in there!!

That's been my cycle so far! Two early II, waitlisted at both. Grr. As much as I might dislike Ohio State during football season...let's be real it would be sick to go here.
 
I need to sign up for an anatomy course but that would require me applying to the community school but I don't want to do that and not even get an II at Ohio state. Should I call the admission's office to inquire about my application? I was complete in September.
 
I need to sign up for an anatomy course but that would require me applying to the community school but I don't want to do that and not even get an II at Ohio state. Should I call the admission's office to inquire about my application? I was complete in September.

I'd hold out on that for several reasons-- you can of course take the course the summer before, you might never get into OSU (even post II, they defer a bunch of people) and you still have to determine whether or not you'd be a good-fit for OSU post-interview.
 
Last edited:
I'd hold out on that for several reasons-- you can of course take the course the summer before, you might never get into OSU (even post II, they defer a bunch of people) and OSU definitely seems like a "fit" or "no fit" type of school-- it's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.
Thanks I'll just hold on. But I wouldn't be able to take it in the summer because I will be out of the country for June.
 
Thanks I'll just hold on. But I wouldn't be able to take it in the summer because I will be out of the country for June.

I took the online BYU course OSU recommends and completed it over the course of two and a half weeks, right before I moved to Columbus for orientation. It really is not that big of a deal. While the course has changed since I took it, it's still very possible to register for it and complete it within a month, say around April/May.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted!!! Got the phone call yesterday in front of all my housemates. One of the happiest moments of my life! Yes!!!
Right??? I had the same situation for the call. Such an awesome moment to share with people you're close with! Also, why is OSU so incredible? Of COURSE they would do the little things too, like calling at midnight to say that you're going to be a doctor. Go bucks!!!