2015-2016 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally got around to submitting this one despite receiving it over a week ago! Working 7 days a week every week certainly takes its toll.

The research one was an absolute BREEZE for me. I just rehashed my unpublished abstract and added a few more details to explain why I used some methods. Thank god for my graduate science writing abilities.... It reads virtually like a paper you'd find in a science journal!

Submitted just now :p

Good luck everyone!
Yup research was by far my easiest secondary...no creative writing skills necessary!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Regarding the research question, I tried to avoid being technical with my language since my research is in materials science, not biomedically related. I feel like it shouldn't read like an actual paper, contrary to what another previous poster suggested. Instead, it should rely on lay terms to target a more general audience. What do you guys think?

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else finding it impossible to get a photo less than 100kb? I know this is optional, but I have a photo available. It's just like 20x that memory.

The easiest way to get a photo under 100kb is to rescale a picture to something around 300x300 pixels. Most cell phones now are taking photos in the 5-8MP range, and don't typically have a built-in program to rescale images, but desktop and laptop computers can do so with built-in image programs.

On Windows, you can use Paint to resize your image. Open the picture in Paint, then click Image, then Stretch/Skew. You'll see Horizontal and Vertical percentage numbers. If you make those something around 20 instead of 100, and then Save As, you should get a resulting image very close to 100kb.

On Max OS X, open the picture in Preview, then click Tools, then Adjust Size. Choose Percent from the pop-up menu next to Width and Height, and set both values to around 20%. Save (or Save As) the picture and you should have an image within the file size limits.

If you're working entirely on an Android or iOS device, you will need to download an app to handle rescaling your image. There's plenty of option on each platform for that, so I can't type up quick instructions for each app.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So for the research question, do we have to do a hypothesis (we predicted that blank because of blank) or can we list questions that we were investigating.

So for the research question, do we have to do a hypothesis (we predicted that blank because of blank) or can we list questions that we were investigating.

I tried to stick with the hypothesis for mine. Even if you are just investigating several questions, you likely have some sort of educated prediction or result otherwise, why waste your time trying to answer the question.

What level of detail are you guys using to explain why you used certain methods? At the moment I am giving ~ 1 sentence for each technique I discuss.

I spoke to the director of admissions today and he said they are going to start reviewing applications this week! Yay!

Reactions: 2 users
At this point, CWRU has sent out secondary invitations to everyone that's applied to us and was verified through AMCAS.

If you were expecting a secondary invite, and have not received one, check your email's spam folder for a message from iapply {at} case.edu. It should have arrived sometime between July 6 and July 15.

If you have not received a secondary invite, even after checking your spam filter, please email iApplySupport {at} case.edu and we will help you get into our secondary application.

Finally marked complete today

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
University Track

Please describe the greatest personal challenge you have faced, one which you feel has helped to shape you as a person. Examples may include a time when you felt you were "in over your head," or a time when you felt personally criticized. You may also discuss a moral or ethical dilemma, a situation of personal adversity, or a hurdle in your life that you worked hard to overcome. Please include how you got through the experience and what you may have learned about yourself as a result. (3500ch)

Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below. (3500ch)

Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee? This could include information about your academic history, personal life or any other area that is of importance to you.

If you were working on a small group project and you thought that another student wasn't carrying his/her load, how would you handle it? (300-1000ch)

College Track

Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strengthening? Design a plan as to how you could improve it. (500-1000 char)

Tell us about a time when you received unexpected criticism or negative feedback. How did you react? What did you do? (500-1000 char)

How do you see your career ten years from now? (500-1000 char)

I'm a little confused...
Are these all the questions for the class entering in 2016?
And for the college track, are the questions listed an addition to the questions for the university track?

I'm trying to pre-write.

If you're only applying University Track - first four are required.

If you're applying both UT and College Track - all are required.

If you're only applying College track - all are required

These are prompts for this years secondary. So yes, for the class entering in 2016.

I'm a little confused...
Are these all the questions for the class entering in 2016?
And for the college track, are the questions listed an addition to the questions for the university track?

I'm trying to pre-write.

If you are applying to Case only, you have to do the two required UT essays (and the optional research question, if you want). If you are applying to CCLCM, you have to do the required UT essays, plus all the CT essays.

If you are applying to Case only, you have to do the two required UT essays (and the optional research question, if you want). If you are applying to CCLCM, you have to do the required UT essays, plus all the CT essays.

:)

How did you guys approach the areas of improvement and "
How do you see your career ten years from now? (500-1000 char)" questions?

OK, so 7 essays total for UT/CT or CT only?!

I want my money back... :p

OK, so 7 essays total for UT/CT or CT only?!

I want my money back... :p

You got this! Just think - most of the material from these seven essays can be re-used throughout other secondaries (and vis versa). I wrote these seven first, knowing that my content would be a good jumping off point for many other secondaries.

....Duke's Essays on the other hand.....:bang:

You got this! Just think - most of the material from these seven essays can be re-used throughout other secondaries (and vis versa). I wrote these seven first, knowing that my content would be a good jumping off point for many other secondaries.

....Duke's Essays on the other hand.....:bang:
LOOL thanks.
But just to confirm, are any of those actually optional (assuming I'm interested in UT/CT?)

Seems a little dated but I do appreciate the information.

Ah sorry, didn't see the date! I know the admissions director for Lerner has a blog about the program....I wish I could remember what it was called =/

CCLCM (college track) student here. We all get a full tuition scholarship. A very few select students may receive additional stipends to cover some living expenses. You can apply for grants/fellowships from outside sources to cover living expenses during the research thesis year.

The research essay is not optional for college track.

5. Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strengthening? Design a plan as to how you could improve it. (500-1000 char)

what did you guys say about this one? How did you approach it?

5. Each year our students target for themselves areas of improvement. Other than the acquisition of new knowledge, what personal area do you think you have that could use strengthening? Design a plan as to how you could improve it. (500-1000 char)

what did you guys say about this one? How did you approach it?
balancing the different areas of life - academics, family, friends, hobbies, etc. not being a study hermit

balancing the different areas of life - academics, family, friends, hobbies, etc. not being a study hermit
Hmm, this sounds like a good topic. The hard part now is coming up with a plan that doesn't sound like "I'll just do it"

Submitted my secondary today! It definitely took the most time of any secondary thus far. That challenge essay required quite a bit of soul searching and reflection!

Hmm, this sounds like a good topic. The hard part now is coming up with a plan that doesn't sound like "I'll just do it"
200_s.gif

Reactions: 4 users
Submitted my secondary today! It definitely took the most time of any secondary thus far. That challenge essay required quite a bit of soul searching and reflection!

Congrats :)

I felt the same but still working on them! I really enjoyed these essays because of this.

did you all receive confirmation emails that your application was done? mine just says "marked complete: Yes, date not available" on the application status tab

I'm assumed that means my app is complete correct?

did you all receive confirmation emails that your application was done? mine just says "marked complete: Yes, date not available" on the application status tab

I'm assumed that means my app is complete correct?

I never got an email, but mine says the yes, date not available thing too. I'm 99.9% sure that means we're complete.

From reading the thread, it seems like most of you guys are applying to UT/CT instead of just UT. Is this because you see it as a 2-for-1 deal or because you honestly would be fine with a 5-year track that includes research? Just kinda curious because I've done research but I was only considering the UT.

From reading the thread, it seems like most of you guys are applying to UT/CT instead of just UT. Is this because you see it as a 2-for-1 deal or because you honestly would be fine with a 5-year track that includes research? Just kinda curious because I've done research but I was only considering the UT.
For me, it's because I've really enjoyed my research and would like to continue doing research in academic medicine in my career.

I was going to strictly apply for CT because I definitely want to do research, but then I saw that if you are accepted for UT, you can still apply for a year-long research experience, it's just not funded the same way.

I love the idea of the 5-year track. The way their curriculum is set up is very enticing.

For me, it's because I've really enjoyed my research and would like to continue doing research in academic medicine in my career.

I was going to strictly apply for CT because I definitely want to do research, but then I saw that if you are accepted for UT, you can still apply for a year-long research experience, it's just not funded the same way.

I love the idea of the 5-year track. The way their curriculum is set up is very enticing.

Okay cool. Just wondering. I'm unsure if I should waste the opportunity to apply to both programs or if I should only apply to UT/CT if I'm passionate about research (I liked it but it was just okay, not great like it was for many of you).

Okay cool. Just wondering. I'm unsure if I should waste the opportunity to apply to both programs or if I should only apply to UT/CT if I'm passionate about research (I liked it but it was just okay, not great like it was for many of you).

Apply for it if you are willing to write the extra essays because it is no extra money but if you aren't interested in continuing research in your medical career, I don't think it is well worth your time to go to school for another year. Not only is it a year of only research but there is research built in throughout the other years too.

Did anyone else have trouble getting the picture to be under 100 kb? I took it with my iPhone and cropped and stuff but can't seem to get it under 400 kb

Did anyone else have trouble getting the picture to be under 100 kb? I took it with my iPhone and cropped and stuff but can't seem to get it under 400 kb
Upload to facebook, download from facebook, and your picture should become small enough.

Last edited: