2015-2016 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I did an independent research project my junior year, and I wrote about it in my primary app as one of my meaningful experiences...so Case already has quite a bit of information about it.

Can I use a lot of the same information for my Case essay? I already reflected on what I learned and why it was meaningful to me there as well

Members don't see this ad.

So I did an independent research project my junior year, and I wrote about it in my primary app as one of my meaningful experiences...so Case already has quite a bit of information about it.

Can I use a lot of the same information for my Case essay? I already reflected on what I learned and why it was meaningful to me there as well

If it is your only research experience, then yes I would include it in your Case essay. As long as you have some sort of answer you were trying to find with a hypothesis. My research experience was also one of my most meaningful but on AMCAS I never talked about my methods or my exact results to my hypothesis.

Reactions: 1 user

I interpreted the research prompt in the secondary to be more focused on the details of our research as undergraduates. I chose a project of which I had the most impact on and kind of expressed it to them the way I did during research presentations, keeping in mind the information that the prompt was asking for: the hypothesis, WHY the specific methods, the results, future considerations, etc. I considered the prompt to be directing me to write something similar to an extended abstract.

Honestly, if I were in your position I would definitely continue to write about the research experience (especially if it is the most powerful one that you have) without repeating myself or anything submitted in my primary.
From what it sounds like you previously discussed how the research experience was meaningful to you and the information/skills that you took away from it.
Since the prompt's direction is different than what you provided earlier, I think you will be okay!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interpreted the research prompt in the secondary to be more focused on the details of our research as undergraduates. I chose a project of which I had the most impact on and kind of expressed it to them the way I did during research presentations, keeping in mind the information that the prompt was asking for: the hypothesis, WHY the specific methods, the results, future considerations, etc. I considered the prompt to be directing me to write something similar to an extended abstract.

Honestly, if I were in your position I would definitely continue to write about the research experience (especially if it is the most powerful one that you have) without repeating myself or anything submitted in my primary.
From what it sounds like you previously discussed how the research experience was meaningful to you and the information/skills that you took away from it.
Since the prompt's direction is different than what you provided earlier, I think you will be okay!

I just went to a seminar where the director of admissions for Case was talking about admissions, and I'm pretty sure that when he was talking about the research secondary prompt he said something along the lines of, "Most importantly, we want to know what you learned from your research."

EDIT: What you learned meaning why it was a valuable experience, not like your conclusions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I focused on what I learned from the research process throughout my activities descriptions - one of my fellowships ended up being a 'most meaningful experience'. I too, ended up writing much more of an abstract for the Case research essay...we shall see :cool:
did the same..the prompt seemed to ask for an abstract type of thing so I didn't feel comfortable talking about what I personally learned

Yeah I think it makes sense to write it as an abstract if you picked it as a most meaningful activity, otherwise it'd just be redundant. Research definitely wasn't one of my most meaningful activities, so a solid chunk of my secondary essay was about what I learned from the experience.

did the same..the prompt seemed to ask for an abstract type of thing so I didn't feel comfortable talking about what I personally learned

Wait I thought the prompt specifically asked what you learned from the experience? "Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you."

I just went to a seminar where the director of admissions for Case was talking about admissions, and I'm pretty sure that when he was talking about the research secondary prompt he said something along the lines of, "Most importantly, we want to know what you learned from your research."

EDIT: What you learned meaning why it was a valuable experience, not like your conclusions.

With all of these essays it is important to express how the experience impacted, challenged, transformed us, etc. I mean, that is the point. This essay should be treated no differently.
That being said, without providing what the prompt is evoking, the essay fails no matter what.
If we manage to provide this balance, I think we are solid.

Wait I thought the prompt specifically asked what you learned from the experience? "Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you."
Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below.

Reactions: 2 users
I focused on what I learned from the research process throughout my activities descriptions - one of my fellowships ended up being a 'most meaningful experience'. I too, ended up writing much more of an abstract for the Case research essay...we shall see :cool:

We gave the prompt what it wanted! Just have to keep busy until we hear back! Good luck

Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below.

Aha you guys must be talking about the CT essays, I'm only applying to UT. Sorryyyy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please describe the hypothesis of your research, why the methods were selected to answer that hypothesis, your results and interpretation of your results with respect to future findings. If you have not participated in research or scholarly work, please indicate so in the text area below.[/QUOTE
maybe it is different for cclcm

It could be! It thought that the only difference between an application for Case&CCLCM and Case were the four additional essays that are marked "Required for College Track."
The research essay was the second one on the application, I assumed that goes to both programs. Who knows, it is weird that they would edit the prompt though.

@dktr_butt Yeah the one I just copied and pasted here is from the UT only application. I just assumed it would be exactly the same for CT haha. Maybe they know that most people applying to CT probably already put research as one of their most meaningful experiences on AMCAS, so they don't want to ask why it was meaningful in the secondary and have to read the same stuff all over again.

So this might be a dumb questions, but for those of us who have never worked in a lab, is writing about basic undergrad "research" ok? Like for an upper level bio, doing fun things with GFP and PCR, etc?. Like we did a quarter long cheesy research paper on the effects of leaf damage and where the threshold for organism failure was. Seems silly to write about these "assignments" but...

So this might be a dumb questions, but for those of us who have never worked in a lab, is writing about basic undergrad "research" ok? Like for an upper level bio, doing fun things with GFP and PCR, etc?. Like we did a quarter long cheesy research paper on the effects of leaf damage and where the threshold for organism failure was. Seems silly to write about these "assignments" but...
this is just one opinion, but I think they are looking for actual research projects outside of class

Definitely NOT a dumb question! I would not draw unnecessary attention to the fact that these were done as class assignments. I mean, the quarter long project on leaf damage and survival threshold sounds genuinely interesting..
Maybe you could just stick with that and go for it.

Addendum: Just make sure you know what you are talking about and truly understand all aspects of the research project and that you can relay the information in a way that most people can understand. Keep in mind how it has made an impact on your desire to conduct research in the future and how the experience has impacted you as a student/life long learner. Not everyone has a huge research background, don't let that stop you from applying.

this is just one opinion, but I think they are looking for actual research projects outside of class

Yeah, I'd agree. I think doing an independent research class for credit would count for something, but a lab where you're just basically looking to confirm what you learned in lecture (which is what my labs were like, at least) doesn't really teach you much about the scientific method and whatnot.

wait so is this real research? or were you mainly learning methods while confirming something already known as lannister said? If the former, I think it would be fine

wait so is this real research? or were you mainly learning methods while confirming something already known as lannister said? If the former, I think it would be fine

Little from column a little from column b. My bio classes stressed the scientific method so we got to run whatever we wanted as long as it used techniques/background we learned about in the lectures (so not following directions like in a chem undergrad lab, but designing protocols, doing proper controls, etc). So outside of class we ran the exp. in the schools greenhouse, and did a full write up/tittle/abstract etc. poster/presentation

Little from column a little from column b. My bio classes stressed the scientific method so we got to run whatever we wanted as long as it used techniques we learned about in the lectures (so not following directions). So outside of class we ran the exp. in the schools greenhouse, and did a full write up/tittle/abstract etc. poster/presentation

Yes. Write about that.

Little from column a little from column b. My bio classes stressed the scientific method so we got to run whatever we wanted as long as it used techniques we learned about in the lectures (so not following directions, but designing protocols, doing proper controls, etc). So outside of class we ran the exp. in the schools greenhouse, and did a full write up/tittle/abstract etc. poster/presentation

You're probably on the line here...I would be cautious in regards to how I write about it... this 'research' could come up in an interview.

If it came up in an interview I would just specify one of my bio classes required a independent research project covering the quarter - stressing following a proper scientific method and for presentation at our schools research symposium, don't think I would even need to bring up what the research was for in the essay, would only come up in an interview and I'm comfortable talking about it.

Ok then consider these questions:

Did you develop the hypothesis?
Did you select the methods?
Was your conclusion novel? Or anticipated from the beginning of the class? What future steps could be taken from your project?

If any of these items were embedded in the course curriculum, I would not write about it. Most upper level life science lab courses are structured around similar projects.

"Describe your experience, including the question you pursued and how you approached it, your results and interpretation of the results, and most importantly, any thoughts about what this experience meant to you."

Both of these prompts appear on this year's secondary?
If so, which do you respond to if you're applying UT/CT?
Still waiting to be verified; planning to pre-write in the interim

Definitely tailored my CT essay towards the scientific details behind my experiment, especially since the primary application doesn't give enough room to do so. My primary covered why it was important, so I didn't feel the need to repeat that info. I wanted to impress them with my understanding of the methodologies and results... Hopefully that's what everyone has been doing?

Was your conclusion novel? Or anticipated from the beginning of the class? What future steps could be taken from your project?

If any of these items were embedded in the course curriculum, I would not write about it. Most upper level life science lab courses are structured around similar projects.
We had several upper level courses, in both Biology and Chemistry, where all three of those questions could be answered 'yes' depending on your definition of 'novel'.

For example, say that the results were not groundbreaking for the field, but were honestly unknown prior to beginning the experiment. The student is still carrying out a research project, it just isn't brand-new or high-impact. :shrug:

Now, I would still argue that this is not what Case is looking for, and I would not personally include it.

I was wondering if I apply to both the college and the university track, do they only start considering me for the university track after I get rejected from the college track?

Good input. It was really completely open ended, so I could answer yes to all. We did have a surprising finding - moderate leaf damage doesn't have a significant impact on growth/pollen production/fruit production. The conclusion was there is an inherit high tolerance of herbivory, and we found direction (spatial orientation) of damage didn't have a significant effect either, meaning resources could be moved to non-damaged areas.

There were similar studies out there, but no for the selection of species we used, and found that species does play a role in this resistance to impact from damage - some had less resistance than others.

Thanks for making me walk thru this, good practice to talk about it!

I was wondering if I apply to both the college and the university track, do they only start considering me for the university track after I get rejected from the college track?

Nope. Based on what that guy says in the video on the application, these are 100% separate applications. There is an adcom for the university track and an adcom for the college program and they review your app when independently and will send you II's independently and acceptance independently. So technically you can get accepted into college track but denied from university. Not sure how common that is though.

Woke up to an II this morning, my first one of the cycle! UT only, submitted around 7/14

Reactions: 15 users
Also woke up to my first interview!!! First one of the season :)))
Completion date 7/17, LizzyM ~79
So stoked!

Reactions: 9 users
How do you guys know when you were complete? My portal says "Complete: Yes, no date available" or something like that.

When did you guys submit the secondary?

How do you guys know when you were complete? My portal says "Complete: Yes, no date available" or something like that.

Mine used to say that but then changed to a date a couple days later
I submitted last weekend

I submitted 7/6 and still don't have a date =/ i wonder if they are going in the order of submission

To be honest, I didn't actually check the page to see when they marked it as complete when I made my first post, but I know I submitted the secondary and made the payment on 7/17.

I just checked the portal and it says
"Marked Completed: Yes on 7/17/2015"

it's possible that there's a date given if an II is imminent? either way it's still early so let's be positive! and congrats on the IIs everyone

Hello,

I am writing my Research response for my secondary and I have a broad range of research experiences, some clinical with multiple projects, as well as multiple projects in my lab research. I am not quite sure if I should go in depth into one study, glance over all, or have one example from my lab and clinical research experiences.

Also, what's the consensus on going approx. 200 characters over the 3,500?

Thank you, your advice is greatly appreciated.
If I were you I would focus on one project, and whichever one is most interesting to you (i.e. you want your passion for the project to come through). There might be a way to tie in your other experiences as well however... for example, "This project was my first exposure to translational research, something I found drastically different from my previous work in a pure basic science lab during XYZ.....". But I think you should keep your essay focused on your most significant experience.
As for characters, I went about 100 over for the two larger essays- I would think 200 is fine but wouldn't go much further than that! See if you have some superfluous words to bring the count down a bit.

If I were you I would focus on one project, and whichever one is most interesting to you (i.e. you want your passion for the project to come through). There might be a way to tie in your other experiences as well however... for example, "This project was my first exposure to translational research, something I found drastically different from my previous work in a pure basic science lab during XYZ.....". But I think you should keep your essay focused on your most significant experience.
As for characters, I went about 100 over for the two larger essays- I would think 200 is fine but wouldn't go much further than that! See if you have some superfluous words to bring the count down a bit.

Thank you for the advice. Really need to get this one in!

Secondary submitted! These took awhile, but at least I felt like I was able to tell my whole story with these essays.

Did anyone apply to all 3 tracks?

Secondary submitted! These took awhile, but at least I felt like I was able to tell my whole story with these essays.

Did anyone apply to all 3 tracks?
Congratulations!

What 3 tracks? UT, CT and...?

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk