2015-2016 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm only 50% done this secondary... nearing that point of is it worth it this late, my last one and I can't even start a sentence.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
II received 9am EST, complete 7/16

(Edit: University Track)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oof first rejection of the cycle! University Track. Perhaps I still have a shot at the college track...

Last edited:
II!! First of the cycle for me. LizzyM ~72. Complete 7/29. So excited to interview here!! :soexcited:

EDIT: Interview for UT

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Oof first rejection of the cycle! University Track. Perhaps I still have a shot at the college track...

I did see someone on last year's thread who got rejected from UT and accepted to CT! So definitely don't count yourself out yet!

Sorry if this was asked, but can someone confirm that UT and CT decisions have no effect on each other? Completely independent admissions teams right?

Yes, when I got my CT rejection the email said it will not influence UT decision in any way

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this was asked, but can someone confirm that UT and CT decisions have no effect on each other? Completely independent admissions teams right?
Yes that is definitely what it says on their website.

just reading this thread for information, not applying this cycle but I went to Case undergrad
personally I don't know if I can see myself back in Ohio for another four years ^^"

Do you guys know which essays are seen by only the UT ad coms and which are seen by only the CT ad coms? I know the optional additional information section will only be seen by UT but will the CT questions only be read by the CT people?

I'm trying to figure out where to sneak in information that I want both groups of ad coms to see.

Do you guys know which essays are seen by only the UT ad coms and which are seen by only the CT ad coms? I know the optional additional information section will only be seen by UT but will the CT questions only be read by the CT people?

I'm trying to figure out where to sneak in information that I want both groups of ad coms to see.

I might be wrong but I thought that the CT people could see all of the essays. I'm assuming the UT people won't bother reading the CT questions.

CT adcoms can only access your CT essays. If you want something for the CT adcoms to read, indicate that in your optional essay.

I actually meant to ask if anyone has gotten a II for a college track. Sorry for the confusion

CT adcoms can only access your CT essays. If you want something for the CT adcoms to read, indicate that in your optional essay.
The only optional essay I see is section 9 of the secondary, which seems to suggest that CT adcoms will NOT read it...

"9. Optional: Additional Information Essay (University Program Only)

Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee? This optional response will only be considered by the University Program."

The only optional essay I see is section 9 of the secondary, which seems to suggest that CT adcoms will NOT read it...

"9. Optional: Additional Information Essay (University Program Only)

Is there any further information that you wish to share with the Admissions Committee? This optional response will only be considered by the University Program."
If you apply to the CT program, the CCLCM adcoms will be able to read this.

If you apply to the CT program, the CCLCM adcoms will be able to read this.

Oh OK. Thanks for the clarification!
Just to make sure I've got it straight, if I'm applying for both UT and CT, the breakdown will be as follows?

Greatest challenge: UT only
Research: UT only
Small group essay: UT only
Optional Additional information: UT and CT
Areas of improvement: CT only
Criticism and Feedback: CT only
Career: CT only
Teaching: CT only

Or are there more sections that are considered by both groups of adcoms?

Oh OK. Thanks for the clarification!
Just to make sure I've got it straight, if I'm applying for both UT and CT, the breakdown will be as follows?

Greatest challenge: UT only
Research: UT only
Small group essay: UT only
Areas of improvement: CT only
Criticism and Feedback: CT only
Career: CT only
Teaching: CT only

Or are there more sections that are considered by both groups of adcoms?

Incorrect. I believe the first 3 prompts also incl CT.
Greatest challenge: UT and CT
Research: UT and CT
Small group essay: UT and CT

@adcom101, I'm really glad to see you on here again! I noticed you gave really helpful advice in last year's thread.
Do you know what the odds are of a student who has been placed on "hold" at this point for CT to receive an interview down the road? Do many students come off of hold or is it more indicative of a rejection? I know you may not have that data so no worries if you can't help, but I figured I'd ask for whenever you have the time. :)
Thank you so much!

@adcom101, I'm really glad to see you on here again! I noticed you gave really helpful advice in last year's thread.
Do you know what the odds are of a student who has been placed on "hold" at this point for CT to receive an interview down the road? Do many students come off of hold or is it more indicative of a rejection? I know you may not have that data so no worries if you can't help, but I figured I'd ask for whenever you have the time. :)
Thank you so much!
It's hard to say. It really depends on the denominator. There were so many highly qualified applicants for CT last year (I can only comment on the CT). I posted last year's data on the Cleveland Clinic thread. Essentially, there were about 1500 applicants and only 250 were interviewed. So, if there are plenty of late arriving secondaries from outstanding applicants, then being put on hold now for CT is not a good prognosis. It's just very difficult to answer your question with any degree of accuracy.

Thank you so much!
It's hard to say. It really depends on the denominator. There were so many highly qualified applicants for CT last year (I can only comment on the CT). I posted last year's data on the Cleveland Clinic thread. Essentially, there were about 1500 applicants and only 250 were interviewed. So, if there are plenty of late arriving secondaries from outstanding applicants, then being put on hold now for CT is not a good prognosis. It's just very difficult to answer your question with any degree of accuracy.

That's okay! Thanks so much for trying to answer the question. I knew it was hard to answer so I appreciate the information you have provided anyway!

Does anybody else's status still say "Submitted including payment?" I'm assuming that I'm complete (since I have a "marked complete" date), but I wanted to make sure that it's okay if the status itself doesn't change to "complete." Thanks!

Does anybody else's status still say "Submitted including payment?" I'm assuming that I'm complete (since I have a "marked complete" date), but I wanted to make sure that it's okay if the status itself doesn't change to "complete." Thanks!

At the bottom of the main middle section there should be "Marked Complete" and "Secondary Application Payment" sections.

At the bottom of the main middle section there should be "Marked Complete" and "Secondary Application Payment" sections.

Thanks! I have those sections, I just wanted to double check that the general "Status" banner wasn't supposed to change to "complete" or anything. :)

Incorrect. I believe the first 3 prompts also incl CT.
Greatest challenge: UT and CT
Research: UT and CT
Small group essay: UT and CT
Makes sense. Thanks again!
When you say "late-arriving," what would you say would be considered late in the CT application cycle? Does submitting the secondary around end of August still allow an applicant to receive full consideration or does that place them at some disadvantage?
Along a similar vein, the secondary invitation email suggested that the secondary be returned within 2 weeks. If an applicant were to submit it a week after this recommendation, would it have any effect on his/her application?

I would consider submitting secondaries after 11/1 late. It really doesn't matter how long it takes to send in your secondary as long as you get it in sooner than later. The disadvantage of submitting it later are that scheduling options might be more limited not to mention travel cancellations due to weather. All apps get full consideration whether it is submitted at end of August or late November.

Finally submitted this badboy after getting back edits from a friend.

Someone from my lab is entering M2 here, so I know they show us Canadians some love, fingers crossed for CT!

If I will be in the Ohio area for another interview, is it beneficial for me to contact the admissions office (I don't see a place to add application updates) and say since I'm in the area I was wondering if I could receive an interview? Is this something commonly asked? Would it look bad? I feel that Case Western may understand that someone living across the country would prefer to not have to take multiple cross country flights and perhaps be accommodating, especially if the student is on the border with an II or not.

Any advice?

If I will be in the Ohio area for another interview, is it beneficial for me to contact the admissions office (I don't see a place to add application updates) and say since I'm in the area I was wondering if I could receive an interview? Is this something commonly asked? Would it look bad? I feel that Case Western may understand that someone living across the country would prefer to not have to take multiple cross country flights and perhaps be accommodating, especially if the student is on the border with an II or not.

Any advice?
I would word it carefully. You could ask that the committee take your other interview date into account when looking at your application; I wouldn't straight up ask for an interview because it would be convenient for you.

If you're interested enough in the school to make a 2nd trip just to interview, let them know that as well.

I would word it carefully. You could ask that the committee take your other interview date into account when looking at your application; I wouldn't straight up ask for an interview because it would be convenient for you.

If you're interested enough in the school to make a 2nd trip just to interview, let them know that as well.

Okay thanks! Perhaps say something like I will happen to be in the area and would love to have a chance to interview at CW as well? I'll make sure to avoid I'm asking out of laziness but also want to stress that having an interview the same time would be fantastic and save immense amounts of money + time. As with everything in this process, time to think of some more sentences...

II here for UT today! IS, Lizzy M 72.5, complete 07/24

Reactions: 9 users
what does that mean? wait listed?

Hold? It means like they're not going to offer you an interview after reviewing your application for the first time, but they'll review it again in the future and decide if you should get an II or be rejected. I think.

Hold? It means like they're not going to offer you an interview after reviewing your application for the first time, but they'll review it again in the future and decide if you should get an II or be rejected. I think.
oh I honestly did not know that was a status option. Im assuming if mine still says "submitted including payment." I am still under review/ past the 1st round or they havent reviewed it yet?

So...can anyone get the hosting part on the portal to work?

CT II!!! Over the moon!

Reactions: 7 users