2015-2016 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm trying to add Creighton to my list of schools in AMCAS, but I'm unable to find it. I've filtered on schools in Nebraska, but the only school I'm able to find is University of Nebraska. I must be missing something...can someone help? Thanks!

I'm trying to add Creighton to my list of schools in AMCAS, but I'm unable to find it. I've filtered on schools in Nebraska, but the only school I'm able to find is University of Nebraska. I must be missing something...can someone help? Thanks!
I can see it on my AMCAS. Double check to make sure you didn't already add it. It is listed as "Creighton University School of Medicine" and is also shows up when you sort by state.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can see it on my AMCAS. Double check to make sure you didn't already add it. It is listed as "Creighton University School of Medicine" and is also shows up when you sort by state.

Oops, already had added Creighton but forgot to mark it on my spreadsheet! Thanks for the help!

Reactions: 1 users
I am a NE resident, but have moved out of the state for undergrad (very few ties to Creighton). Are most of Creighton's in-state acceptances generally made up of their own undergrads, or people who have remained connected to the Nebraska system?

Also, how favorably do they look upon research-heavy candidates?

Thank you!

How strict are they with the physiology requirement? Would anatomy count, or does it specifically have to be a physiology course?

I am a NE resident, but have moved out of the state for undergrad (very few ties to Creighton). Are most of Creighton's in-state acceptances generally made up of their own undergrads, or people who have remained connected to the Nebraska system?

Thank you!
I can't answer your question exactly, but I can say that typically the number of NE residents in the incoming class has been around 10-15 (out of 152), and at my interview, they said that usually about 25% of the incoming class are creighton undergrads. how many of the NE residents are also Creighton undergrads, I don't know. hope that helps! -incoming M1

How strict are they with the physiology requirement? Would anatomy count, or does it specifically have to be a physiology course?

I'm wondering the same. I took physio at cc, and the MSAR has a red X for community college accepted... :(

Reactions: 1 user
It states that all courses must be completed before June 1 (prior to matriculation). I imagine that means that you can still take it if you are still finishing your degree?

Joining the thread
@mdparrot You can add a thread to your watched threads without actually posting in it. In the future, it might be better to do that than comment on every thread you want to watch.

@mdparrot You can add a thread to your watched threads without actually posting in it. In the future, it might be better to do that than comment on every thread you want to watch.
Didn't know that! Thanks

Haha @mdparrot - we're apparently applying to a ton of the same schools I got a bunch of notifications lol

Good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

You can remove the stick from your butt. In the future, might be better to do that than nag people for posting on an internet forum.

Reactions: 2 users
You can remove the stick from your butt. In the future, might be better to do that than nag people for posting on an internet forum.
I was not trying to be rude to that member. I was just informing him or her that it is possible to add a thread to one's watched threads without posting. Many users don't know this. He or she did not seem to be offended by my post. I certainly did not mean it in a rude way.

Current Creighton M4. Feel free to PM me or ask questions in the thread and I will respond as able.

How is life in Omaha? Are you from around there or did you move?

I am not from Omaha, but I did do my undergrad here. So, I have lived here for almost 10 years now. To be honest, the city of Omaha itself is not bad. There are plenty of concerts, plays, restaurants, and bars to occupy your time with. The biggest downside I see in the city itself is it has a lack of good bike trails for people to ride on. There are only a couple, and if you want to get in a good 30-40 mile ride, you will have to cover some of the same trail more than once to make it happen.

The major thing lacking is anything related to the outdoors. Minus hunting, you really aren't going to find anything to do outside the city. There isn't any good hiking/camping/climbing/boating around (although the people from around here will strongly argue that, haha).

Cost of living here can not be beat. My wife and I's first townhouse we rented was $525 for a 2 bed 2 bath, in one of the southern suburbs that was only about 15 minutes from campus. You can get a nice apartment, spitting distance from the campus for under $1,000 a month. As a side note, Omaha is small enough that you really don't have to worry about travel times. You can literally get from one side of the city to the other in 30 minutes or less.

Thank you!

Most of Creighton's students that apply from NE did undergrad at Creighton. I am the only person in my class that applied from NE that didn't do undergrad at Creighton (that I know of). It never hurts to apply, but the only sort of preference that Creighton gives is to its undergrads, people who had parents that went to Creighton, and to people from Hawaii. Not sure why the admissions office is trying so hard to get people from Hawaii, but they talked about it last year during our orientation for helping with admissions.

As far as research goes, Creighton is working on rebuilding its MD/PhD program, so they look favorably at people who will be doing research during medical school (even if they aren't entering the MD/PhD program).

Most of Creighton's students that apply from NE did undergrad at Creighton. I am the only person in my class that applied from NE that didn't do undergrad at Creighton (that I know of). It never hurts to apply, but the only sort of preference that Creighton gives is to its undergrads, people who had parents that went to Creighton, and to people from Hawaii. Not sure why the admissions office is trying so hard to get people from Hawaii, but they talked about it last year during our orientation for helping with admissions.

As far as research goes, Creighton is working on rebuilding its MD/PhD program, so they look favorably at people who will be doing research during medical school (even if they aren't entering the MD/PhD program).
Creighton's loyalty to Hawaiians dates back to World War II. During WWII, there were very few schools that would accept Asian-American Hawaiians, and Creighton was one of them. Understandably, a lot of Hawaiians ended up at Creighton at that time. Because of that, it became a popular school for Hawaiians, and Creighton has tried to maintain its relationship with Hawaii ever since.

I am not from Omaha, but I did do my undergrad here. So, I have lived here for almost 10 years now. To be honest, the city of Omaha itself is not bad. There are plenty of concerts, plays, restaurants, and bars to occupy your time with. The biggest downside I see in the city itself is it has a lack of good bike trails for people to ride on. There are only a couple, and if you want to get in a good 30-40 mile ride, you will have to cover some of the same trail more than once to make it happen.

The major thing lacking is anything related to the outdoors. Minus hunting, you really aren't going to find anything to do outside the city. There isn't any good hiking/camping/climbing/boating around (although the people from around here will strongly argue that, haha).

I'm very surprised by this! I thought it would be the exact opposite. I'm actually pleasantly surprised though, as I am more of a "city slicker" type anyway.

Secondary received this morning!

1. Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. (2000 characters)
2. How will you use your specific attributes and experiences to reinforce the Creighton University School of Medicine Mission? (2000 characters)
3. Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. (2000 characters)

Reactions: 3 users
Oh my gosh, I submit one secondary and four more flood my inbox!

for the third question, are you guys going to expand on the activities and try to highlight what you gained or characteristics that you can highlight about yourself, or are you simply going to briefly list the activities

Just received the secondary. I'm surprised this is the only one I've gotten so far today.

for the third question, are you guys going to expand on the activities and try to highlight what you gained or characteristics that you can highlight about yourself, or are you simply going to briefly list the activities
I'm briefly mentioning the activities.

I'm having a heck of a time staying within the character limit. I think I love Creighton a little too much.

Can anyone comment on how "Jesus-y" this school is? I love community service but I am not religious at all. Will that be cool with them?

Can anyone comment on how "Jesus-y" this school is? I love community service but I am not religious at all. Will that be cool with them?
Yes, absolutely. Creighton does not apologize for being Catholic, so you should not be applying here if you'll be uncomfortable with things such as getting emails inviting you to a university-wide opening of school year Mass (that you absolutely do not have to attend if you do not wish to attend). That being said, they also do not expect you to practice Catholicism, Christianity, or any religion at all. They will expect you to embrace Jesuit values pertaining to loving and serving others, but they won't have a problem if you aren't religious. The main thing is that you won't be offended by the presence of the Catholic religion around you. They won't be shoving it down your throat or requiring you to participate in religious practices, but some people are upset if they even encounter religion (like the crucifixes that hang in every classroom). If this is you, Creighton is not the school for you. You should also be aware that Creighton is part of the CHI (Catholic Health Initiatives) healthcare network. This means that clerkship sites will also have crosses and religious quotes on the walls sometimes. Again, it will not be expected that you participate in religious stuff, but if you would feel weird about doing clerkships in hospitals that have the word God on the walls, then you wouldn't like Creighton.

Yes, absolutely. Creighton does not apologize for being Catholic, so you should not be applying here if you'll be uncomfortable with things such as getting emails inviting you to a university-wide opening of school year Mass (that you absolutely do not have to attend if you do not wish to attend). That being said, they also do not expect you to practice Catholicism, Christianity, or any religion at all. They will expect you to embrace Jesuit values pertaining to loving and serving others, but they won't have a problem if you aren't religious. The main thing is that you won't be offended by the presence of the Catholic religion around you. They won't be shoving it down your throat or requiring you to participate in religious practices, but some people are upset if they even encounter religion (like the crucifixes that hang in every classroom). If this is you, Creighton is not the school for you. You should also be aware that Creighton is part of the CHI (Catholic Health Initiatives) healthcare network. This means that clerkship sites will also have crosses and religious quotes on the walls sometimes. Again, it will not be expected that you participate in religious stuff, but if you would feel weird about doing clerkships in hospitals that have the word God on the walls, then you wouldn't like Creighton.

I went to Catholic school for 14+ years, so that's not really an issue for me. More of an issue would be poor handling of particular topics, like reproductive health, stem cell therapy, end of life care, etc. Any thoughts on that?

I went to Catholic school for 14+ years, so that's not really an issue for me. More of an issue would be poor handling of particular topics, like reproductive health, stem cell therapy, end of life care, etc. Any thoughts on that?
As far as the actual practice of those things, it kind of depends on what you're talking about. I know for certain that CHI provides certain healthcare services that do not perfectly align with Catholic teachings pertaining to reproduction (such as providing birth control). However, I don't know if they go so far as to offer abortions. I feel like they probably do not. As far as end of life care, what exactly are you referring to? The major Catholic teaching on end of life care is that euthanasia is immoral, but physician-assisted suicide is not legal in Nebraska, so this shouldn't be a problem.

As far as instruction, I cannot say for certain since I am not a medical school student or faculty member at Creighton, but I have been told that Creighton's medical ethics class is not taught by Jesuits, and it is not based around Catholic moral theology. Will Catholic morality come up in the course on occasion? It's possible. However, I have been told that the course is also very open to individual opinions. I'm thinking it won't be one of those things where they basically pull out a Catechism and read it to you for a semester.

As far as the actual practice of those things, it kind of depends on what you're talking about. I know for certain that CHI provides certain healthcare services that do not perfectly align with Catholic teachings pertaining to reproduction (such as providing birth control). However, I don't know if they go so far as to offer abortions. I feel like they probably do not. As far as end of life care, what exactly are you referring to? The major Catholic teaching on end of life care is that euthanasia is immoral, but physician-assisted suicide is not legal in Nebraska, so this shouldn't be a problem.

As far as instruction, I cannot say for certain since I am not a medical school student or faculty member at Creighton, but I have been told that Creighton's medical ethics class is not taught by Jesuits, and it is not based around Catholic moral theology. Will Catholic morality come up in the course on occasion? It's possible. However, I have been told that the course is also very open to individual opinions. I'm thinking it won't be one of those things where they basically pull out a Catechism and read it to you for a semester.

If they opt not to perform abortions at their center, that's less than ideal (imo) but I can deal with it. I guess I am having mild flashbacks to Catholic school teachers very blatantly lying to us about sexual health. As long as it is an open-minded and not proselytizing environment, I will be happy.

Anyone having trouble getting their essays to copy and paste in, I'm clicking save but every time I toggle back to the page the entry fields are empty...

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. There is an error in the software that adds on an additional 4 characters after click save (you may see after saving your character count has changed to a negative number in which case the essays will clear out after changing the page). If you're close to the count, just delete a few more an it should save fine!

Last edited:
I'm wondering the same. I took physio at cc, and the MSAR has a red X for community college accepted... :(
I called the Admissions office and was told that as long as we take the course (preferably at a 4 year institution) before matriculation to Creighton, it will be fine. I'll worry about taking care of that if I'm offered admission

Submitted, paid through paypal interface, but still showing as payment pending.

Are others like that as well?

Edit: I called the admissions office, and it is a known bug right now. She asked me to forward my paypal receipt to [email protected] and said it will be corrected.

Last edited:
Can anyone chime in on research opportunities for students? I was looking through the site and could not find much.

If they opt not to perform abortions at their center, that's less than ideal (imo) but I can deal with it. I guess I am having mild flashbacks to Catholic school teachers very blatantly lying to us about sexual health. As long as it is an open-minded and not proselytizing environment, I will be happy.

If there is something that you want to do, that doesn't coincide with the catholic mission, the school will help you set up training at an outside facility. A lot of people in my class are not religious at all, and it honestly doesn't matter.

Can anyone chime in on research opportunities for students? I was looking through the site and could not find much.

Most medical students at Creighton start their research the summer of their M1 year. A lot of people are able to get paid to do the research, but some aren't. There is a point person that you can talk to after you start medical school that will help hook you up with a faculty member to do research in an area that you are interested in.

I know people at other medical schools, and we received that exact same training as they did in the subjects listed above. There are tons of non-catholic faculty here. I am not catholic, and I have yet to see any issue with our education or training in this regard.

Did you attend Catholic school for grade school/high school, but not undergrad? All of my schooling has been Catholic schools so far, and Catholic college is very different from Catholic grade school and high school (in my experience, anyway).

Did you attend Catholic school for grade school/high school, but not undergrad? All of my schooling has been Catholic schools so far, and Catholic college is very different from Catholic grade school and high school (in my experience, anyway).

Catholic pre-school right up through high school. At that point I had enough and went for a secular university. Catholic medical school doesn't sound bad though, as long as they are heavy on the community service and light on the judging people :)

Catholic pre-school right up through high school. At that point I had enough and went for a secular university. Catholic medical school doesn't sound bad though, as long as they are heavy on the community service and light on the judging people :)
I figured you might not have done Catholic undergrad. I have found it to be different (in a good way, in my opinion) from my Catholic pre-school through high school experience.

Anyone else having trouble paying the app fee on paypal? I've tried three times with different cards and it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone else having trouble paying the app fee on paypal? I've tried three times with different cards and it doesn't seem to be working.
What is the nature of the problem? Is PayPal telling you it isn't going through, or is it just Creighton telling you that it isn't going through? If it's PayPal, I didn't have any problems. If it's Creighton, look to see if you have a confirmation email from PayPal saying that you paid. If so, the problem is because of a glitch in Creighton's system. In that case, stop attempting to make payments, and contact Creighton in order to fix the issue.

Each time I submit successfully on paypal, but then I get an email from Creighton a short while later saying that the payment did not go through, and that my payment has been 'reset'.

Yeah, definitely gonna call tomorrow to try and fix the issue.

Each time I submit successfully on paypal, but then I get an email from Creighton a short while later saying that the payment did not go through, and that my payment has been 'reset'.

Yeah, definitely gonna call tomorrow to try and fix the issue.
The main thing is to stop attempting to pay. At this point, you've probably already paid $285 since the problem is almost certainly that Creighton's system isn't receiving the information correctly. I'm sure they'll refund it, but I'd definitely still stop trying to make payments.