2015-2016 Northwestern University (Feinberg) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if Feinberg accepts application updates? Tried calling the admissions office this morning to ask but I got a message saying that they're closed until 12/28.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Feinberg accepts application updates? Tried calling the admissions office this morning to ask but I got a message saying that they're closed until 12/28.

I believe they do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After an acceptance, do we need to fax in a signed form? I vaguely remember seeing this on the web site when I accepted the admission offer

@mkapp : Yes, there's a form you have to sign and either fax or mail back. You can access it via the portal.

@mkapp : Yes, there's a form you have to sign and either fax or mail back. You can access it via the portal.
Hmm... it's not showing up on the portal anymore. I remember seeing it right after I was accepted, but I can't find it! I guess I'll call the admissions office next week.

when do they offer full tuition scholarships? I was admitted 2 days after I interviewed but don't think I can attend without a really good scholarship. I read that applicants at other schools received notice of financial awards at the time of acceptance (november). Anyone have any ideas?

I also see no form. I did get an email to "confirm that we have received your response accepting our offer of admission to the Feinberg School of Medicine." The language makes it seem like that is all we have to do?

Ya me too. I hope I didn't miss anything (it's been quite a while). I didn't see a form, but please do post any info you find out.

The website seems to say that you only need to submit a decision via the portal.
Screen Shot 2015-12-23 at 2.11.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Okay, there was definitely an extra form available via the portal that was supposed to be signed and faxed/mailed in (separate from the electronic acceptance via portal). I verified this because I found the form in my downloads on my computer (I printed it out before signing and sending). It is no longer available in my portal, but this makes sense given that I already submitted it. Additionally, I received TWO confirmation emails --- one acknowledging my online acceptance of the offer and a second acknowledging the form I mailed in.

Of course, I can't say whether or not the extra form is that significant to the administration. ;) If you're neurotic about forms/details (as I am), I'd recommend calling if you can no longer find the extra form on your portal and haven't yet submitted it. Hope this is helpful, and a happy holiday to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Here you go, @Xenith (and anyone else who needs it!).

Attachments

• AcceptConfirmationForm.pdf
    83.4 KB · Views: 90
Thanks! I definitely didn't see this on my portal so I'll call them on Monday.

Was there a time limit to send in the form?

Here you go, @Xenith (and anyone else who needs it!).

Isn't this essentially the same as the online form? I can imagine it might be an either/or situation. After I submitted the online offer acceptance I got another email confirming that I had accepted the offer

So did anyone call the office regarding this form?

Nah the form is exactly the form we filled out online.

Congrats to all those accepted!

Just got a II this week. Completed end of Sept with LizzyM of 72-75. There's still hope!!

Reactions: 1 users
Submitted an update today hopefully it'll move me closer to an II. Fingers crossed lol. Good luck to everyone else! :)

For those who interviewed, were there any greeters or Q&A type of sessions with current students the night before the interview? And do you have any advice on what the panel interview is like?

Thanks in advance!! :)

II this morning! Happy sunday to me :) SO excited! OOS, LizzyM 73

Dates were Jan 6, Jan 11, Jan 13 and Jan 20

Reactions: 6 users
I had an interview here very early in the season, and was wondering if this would be an appropriate time to send a letter of intent and update letter combo. I have been involved in some activities(new research project, shadowing) and want to let them know that Penn is my top choice. Does anyone know if this would be a good idea?

I had an interview here very early in the season, and was wondering if this would be an appropriate time to send a letter of intent and update letter combo. I have been involved in some activities(new research project, shadowing) and want to let them know that Penn is my top choice. Does anyone know if this would be a good idea?

Depends on what you want to achieve. If you do not want an acceptance, then go ahead and send them a letter of intent letting them know that Penn is your top choice.

Reactions: 9 users
Well what do you guys think

Well, if you're going to send the LEtter of intent/update combo to both schools, then you're probably being disingenuous (since they both can't be your top choice, though they both certainly can be one of your top choices). I suppose this is why schools don't take LOIs seriously; too many players "playing the game". Update them (which is showing interest) per their policies, but don't BS-- they won't buy it anyway, and you'll be known as "that guy/girl".

II this morning! Happy sunday to me :) SO excited! OOS, LizzyM 73

Dates were Jan 6, Jan 11, Jan 13 and Jan 20
Wow! They have dates in early January? Really hoping this 4-month drought will end.

I'm unsure if I should send in an update describing my job this year. I included a super brief description of it in my secondary in the plans for 2015-2016 response, but that was before I had even started the job. Is it appropriate to send in a more detailed description of it now?

Any general words of advice regarding Feinberg's interview day? Based on prior information in this thread it seems to be highly dependent on your faculty interviewer but I'd love to hear any sort of feedback from past interviewees.

Any general words of advice regarding Feinberg's interview day? Based on prior information in this thread it seems to be highly dependent on your faculty interviewer but I'd love to hear any sort of feedback from past interviewees.
I would agree with the idea that the interview day revolves around your faculty interviewer(s).

My first was open file, and revolved around my research, I clicked with my interviewer immediately as we had research in the same field.
My second was a closed file and the interviewer asked nothing about my academics, I asked tons of questions about life in Chicago and a big city in general.
The final interview was a panel with an M4 and another prospective, our interviewer was awkward, but we both ended up getting in so it must have gone well enough ;)

My strategy was to listen to what the interviewer asked, gauge what they are interested in, and ask followup questions based on what I assume those interests were. It served me well at all of my non MMI interviews.

I would agree with the idea that the interview day revolves around your faculty interviewer(s).

My first was open file, and revolved around my research, I clicked with my interviewer immediately as we had research in the same field.
My second was a closed file and the interviewer asked nothing about my academics, I asked tons of questions about life in Chicago and a big city in general.
The final interview was a panel with an M4 and another prospective, our interviewer was awkward, but we both ended up getting in so it must have gone well enough ;)

My strategy was to listen to what the interviewer asked, gauge what they are interested in, and ask followup questions based on what I assume those interests were. It served me well at all of my non MMI interviews.

Thanks for the feedback!

Was just told today that interviews will continue to be sent out through the latter half of this month.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed approximately 3 weeks ago and just received the "delayed" email this morning.

LizzyM=77

Accepted!!!! Interviewed last week. LizzyM 75+. Kinda shocked by the turnaround

Accepted students - sorry if this has been answered, but do we need to do anything to hold our spot? I followed the link online and it looks like you can click to accept the offer, but does that mean you're going to matriculate there?? Helppppp

Accepted students - sorry if this has been answered, but do we need to do anything to hold our spot? I followed the link online and it looks like you can click to accept the offer, but does that mean you're going to matriculate there?? Helppppp

The "accept offer" online is non-binding. You accept it in order to hold your spot and then you can withdraw later

Interviewed approximately 3 weeks ago and just received the "delayed" email this morning.
LizzyM=77

Does anyone know approximately what time in March delayed decisions are made? Also, is everyone who is not outright accepted after their interview given a "delayed" decision or are some people rejected?

Thanks!

Does anyone know approximately what time in March delayed decisions are made? Also, is everyone who is not outright accepted after their interview given a "delayed" decision or are some people rejected?

Thanks!

Would love to know an answer to this, especially the second question.

Last year it was actually the very end of February, so it'll either be then or the very beginning of March that you'll hear back.
Everyone that is not accepted after their interview is given the delayed status. In late Feb/early March they'll accept some more, reject only a few, and then they'll put the rest (about 200-250) on the waitlist.
Hope this helps!

is there a Facebook group or anything of that nature for accepted students?

Thanks!

II yesterday. Very excited to interview here! Complete in August. LizzyM 75+

Reactions: 2 users
For those who interviewed, were there any greeters or Q&A type of sessions with current students the night before the interview? And do you have any advice on what the panel interview is like?

Thanks in advance!! :)

Late response, but no they're aren't any official panels or anything the night before. If you're staying with a host, that's a great opportunity to ask some questions. During the interview day itself, current student tend to drift in and out of the admissions office. If you have any specific questions, feel free to pm me.

The panel interview is very relaxed. I definitely thought that it was a panel of people interviewing me, but it's one interviewer and several students. I wouldn't stress over it at all, just show an interest in what other people are saying.

Looks like they interview through at least February, no?

"An interview invitation could be extended to you at anytime during August 2015 through February 2016." According to the secondary portal