2015-2016 Rutgers University - NJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was on a Thursday and he came and talked with us. So n=1, maybe?
Probably not n=1 if it was a Thursday.
That's awesome that he sat with you guys and talked! Dean Heinrich is really leaving an impression on me. He's very welcoming and treats us like real people and not just fish in a sea.
I agree. He really seems to care about selecting applicants that fit the school well, and treats everyone with respect.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The average is like a 32.5 for the matriculating class according to their website. So almost half of the people that matriculate are below a 32.

That's true.. thanks for letting me know :) I just wish I would hear something from them... NJMS is honestly one of my top choices but they seem to have either lost my application or thrown it in the "hold" pile if they have one. Does NJMS reject during the cycle (sorry if this has been answered I'm new to all these threads!)

Hi guys! I was wondering how long did the school take to invite you for an interview? I submitted my secondary application last Monday, hoping on hearing from them soon... btw, was it an e-mail invitation?

Hi guys! I was wondering how long did the school take to invite you for an interview? I submitted my secondary application last Monday, hoping on hearing from them soon... btw, was it an e-mail invitation?
Got an interview invitation six weeks after completing my secondary, but keep in mind the later you submit the more apps you're competing with, so they may take longer. And yes it was through email

Accepted yesterday at 5:30! Was at chipotle for three dollar burritos and I got the call. Dean Heinrich was amazing, and as everyone said he knew a ton about me. Interviewed beginning of October.

Reactions: 1 user

I received my invite about a week or two after submitting my secondary in mid-September. It was an email.

Submitted my secondary end of August but have yet to hear back... should I be concerned or call?

Submitted my secondary end of August but have yet to hear back... should I be concerned or call?
I also submitted late August and haven't heard back yet. I'm debating sending in an update letter. Does anyone know if they are receptive to updates?

Accepted today! Got the call during a hard sprint, the first 20 seconds were just me gasping for air whoops but I am thrilled. Interviewed mid-october.

Does anyone know if there is an Accepted Students Thanksgiving reception this year? I've read about it on previous year's forums. I was accepted back in July and have accessed the accepted student portal but I'm hoping to learn some more about housing/tuition/etc. as well as meet some of my future classmates

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted last Saturday evening as well! Got a call while watching a Buzzfeed video.. I'm curious about this thanksgiving reception as well. I interviewed mid october as well.​

Last edited:
So u guys recommend asking Dean Heinrich if I can send updates. I was interviewed first week of September but still haven't heard anything

If you are an out-of-state applicant, please discuss any connections you may have to NJ. (1000 characters)

If I have no connection to NJ should I just put N/A?

If you are an out-of-state applicant, please discuss any connections you may have to NJ. (1000 characters)

If I have no connection to NJ should I just put N/A?
Yes, but you might want to seriously reconsider applying if you truly have no connections. Something like 97-99% of the medical students are IS. It might be worth saving yourself the time/money! You could also call the office and ask.

Accepted fellow classmates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a call at 630 from Dean Heinrich I was interviewed in September .... so ecstatic right now...Good luck to the rest of applicants Hope you guys hear good news soon too

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted fellow classmates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got a call at 630 from Dean Heinrich I was interviewed in September .... so ecstatic right now...Good luck to the rest of applicants Hope you guys hear good news soon too
Congratulations! Did you ever send him an update?

Congratulations! Did you ever send him an update?
Nope I did not send an update Apparently the wait was because of feedback from my interviewer. As soon as they got that they made a decision

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, but you might want to seriously reconsider applying if you truly have no connections. Something like 97-99% of the medical students are IS. It might be worth saving yourself the time/money! You could also call the office and ask.

That is actually not true. NJMS has an interesting system where they count every accepted student as "IS". We have students from Arizona, Florida, Cali, etc., but I believe all of them pay IS tuition because of this system. Hence, it looks like everyone is IS on paper. While it is true that NJMS favors IS applicants, OS applicants are given solid considerations. Basically, if you have ANY ties to NJ regardless of how insignificant it may be, I would apply. Hope this clarifies.

So if someone had below a 32 MCAT but a really strong application otherwise (top 5 undergrad, great ECs, great LORs)...should they expect not to even get an II? I'm IS here and was really hoping to hear back but I've heard nothing yet (complete around 8/20ish). Do you guys think I should send in a letter updating my application and expressing more interest in the school?

Thanks and CONGRATS to everyone who got in! you guys are amazing!

Id say definitely give them a friendly call and ask about the status of your application if you haven't done so already and go from there. They'll usually cue you in on what the next step should be. Good luck!

So if someone had below a 32 MCAT but a really strong application otherwise (top 5 undergrad, great ECs, great LORs)...should they expect not to even get an II? I'm IS here and was really hoping to hear back but I've heard nothing yet (complete around 8/20ish). Do you guys think I should send in a letter updating my application and expressing more interest in the school?

Thanks and CONGRATS to everyone who got in! you guys are amazing!
No you certainly shouldn't think that! I just know that they do put a lot of stress on the MCAT -- I interviewed here on Wednesday (I was in the grad program there so that they were forced to grant me an interview if I scored higher than a 28 on the MCAT, which I did (got a 29)) and the first thing my interviewer said to me was "so obviously your MCAT stands out to me--would you like to discuss that?" -- now I know a 29 isn't spectacular by any means, but it's not so low that its unheard of for getting MD interviews/acceptances in my opinion. While I am not expecting an acceptance, I still think you have a chance with a strong application. Research and publications help a lot if you have those...and the fact that you live here helps too! You really never know with this process...but definitely send updates and ask about your application -- it can't hurt!

Do they accept most of the interviewees early on in the cycle??

anyone accepted from a second interview?

I'm pretty sure someone on this thread was accepted after a second interview, and it's apparently not an uncommon practice at NJMS if they're interested in you but still have a question that wasn't answered adequately. I would consider it a positive sign.

So I interviewed a few weeks ago and my interviewer told me he switched interviewees because of a conflict of interest and didn't really get a chance to throughly read my app. Is there a chance I might be getting a second II?

So I interviewed a few weeks ago and my interviewer told me he switched interviewees because of a conflict of interest and didn't really get a chance to throughly read my app. Is there a chance I might be getting a second II?
Not likely if he asked all the questions the committee wants answered.

yup! inbox me if youd like...dont check back too often but let me know if you have any questions

Last edited:
I completed my secondary end of July and got an email the following week from NJMS confirming they received it. However, I haven't heard anything back since then. Should I give them a call and ask about an update?

I know it is generally a case by case basis, however, does anyone know the general timeline for a decision to be made post interview at NJMS?

I know it is generally a case by case basis, however, does anyone know the general timeline for a decision to be made post interview at NJMS?
Pretty sure admissions said expect a decision around 6 weeks after you interview!

Does anyone know if there is an Accepted Students Thanksgiving reception this year? I've read about it on previous year's forums. I was accepted back in July and have accessed the accepted student portal but I'm hoping to learn some more about housing/tuition/etc. as well as meet some of my future classmates
I spoke with Ms. Rivero recently and she said they were planning on just doing one big welcome reception in March this year rather than several throughout the application cycle.

Waitlisted. Interviewed 10/15. IS 521/3.6. Derpderpderp pretty disappointed.

Waitlisted. Interviewed 10/15. IS 521/3.6. Derpderpderp pretty disappointed.
What do you think was the problem? You've been waitlisted at a lot of the jersey schools and with your stats you should have gotten in

Reactions: 2 users
What do you think was the problem? You've been waitlisted at a lot of the jersey schools and with your stats you should have gotten in
Not really sure tbh. I don't have a ton of shadowing/clinical volunteering. My ECs are more geared towards teaching, tutoring, etc., but I've been very upfront about all of that, and why would I get an interview if that's a deal breaker? Maybe I haven't adequately expressed a desire to return to NJ and they're thinking I might not want to go back for med school. Maybe I interview poorly. Maybe my offbeat, self-deprecating humor doesn't work in short bursts. Maybe the large amount of variation in my grades paints a negative narrative. Maybe they don't like my ECs because they're dominated by a fraternity. Maybe I come off as overly awkward. Maybe I didn't smile enough. Maybe I don't come off as passionate enough.

It's hard to tell. You can find plenty of reasons not to like my application. Pick the one you like the most, I guess. I know that's what I'll be doing.

Not really sure tbh. I don't have a ton of shadowing/clinical volunteering. My ECs are more geared towards teaching, tutoring, etc., but I've been very upfront about all of that, and why would I get an interview if that's a deal breaker? Maybe I haven't adequately expressed a desire to return to NJ and they're thinking I might not want to go back for med school. Maybe I interview poorly. Maybe my offbeat, self-deprecating humor doesn't work in short bursts. Maybe the large amount of variation in my grades paints a negative narrative. Maybe they don't like my ECs because they're dominated by a fraternity. Maybe I come off as overly awkward. Maybe I didn't smile enough. Maybe I don't come off as passionate enough.

It's hard to tell. You can find plenty of reasons not to like my application. Pick the one you like the most, I guess. I know that's what I'll be doing.
It's still too early in the application process to get discouraged. Your stats are amazing. You should get in somewhere.

Anyone who was deferred from ED still waiting to hear back? Or has anyone already heard back?

Seems like NJMS has been pretty quiet for a while now, hopefully a few decisions go out this week.

Maybe some II's as well! Has anyone had luck in calling to find out your status? I'm getting worried after months of silence.

does anyone know what percentage of the class they take off the waitlist? also, anyone know if anyone has gotten on the priority waitlist?