2015-2016 Texas Tech University - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What are some examples of "interest in medical academics" ?
That means research and a desire to teach to med students/residents in the future.

I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have my own question for you. Can you apply to the MBA program after matriculation? Or do you have to apply to the dual degree program at the beginning?
You should be able to after you're accepted, however, I don't think you could after fall classes start because you take the first MBA classes in the summer before that. But you can definitely set it up between first and second year. Also, it's possible to take a year off to pursue a dual degree; I know of a least one person doing this between their 2nd and 3rd years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone else had everything in by 7/1 and still not received an II?

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS, Just got an II! Does anyone else only have one day available for interviews, on August 21?

Yeah literally at 11 pm. I thought it was so weird. I tripled checked thinking maybe I just didn't see it earlier but it was at 11 pm. Good luck!
Hey, did you have any luck rescheduling or did you only get <1 week?

They will reschedule if you call. A few people at my interview said they had to. Just call as soon as you can, and I think the interviews from now on are only on Fridays.

(Correction: there are a few on Wednesday)

Last edited:

Also, they only give you 1 day because they don't want to have too many or too few people at each interview.

II. Complete 7/28. Have an interview on the 20th and am out out the country currently, so emailed them to reschedule. Hopefully, they'll be flexible.

II. Complete 7/28. Have an interview on the 20th and am out out the country currently, so emailed them to reschedule. Hopefully, they'll be flexible.
Yeah they're very friendly and it should be easy like others have said

When u say u were complete by 7/28, that means u r tmdsas and secondary were complete and u had received their app complete email? Also do u mind sharing stats

Members don't see this ad :)
I know having this information beforehand was really helpful to me, so just a quick interview summary for the curious ones: As ograB said, this is an all-around relaxed interview day! You will have two 20 minute individual interviews (I think either with faculty, community clinicians, or MS4 students). The interviewers have access to everything in your application except for your MCAT and GPA. You will have at least one behavioral or ethical question asked in each interview (I was told by my interviewer that this is required). Good luck everyone! :luck:

Reactions: 1 users
I know having this information beforehand was really helpful to me, so just a quick interview summary for the curious ones: As ograB said, this is an all-around relaxed interview day! You will have two 20 minute individual interviews (I think either with faculty, community clinicians, or MS4 students). The interviewers have access to everything in your application except for your MCAT and GPA. You will have at least one behavioral or ethical question asked in each interview (I was told by my interviewer that this is required). Good luck everyone! :luck:

I agree that's it's a super relaxed interview and they are genuinely interested in getting to know you as an individual.

From my experience, the interviewers DO have your gpa and MCAT. So make sure you brace for questions regarding gpa and mcat. I was really surprised that it was not blind.... Idk whether it's something new that they are doing this year.

Good luck everyone! Wishing everyone the best! :)

I agree that's it's a super relaxed interview and they are genuinely interested in getting to know you as an individual.

From my experience, the interviewers DO have your gpa and MCAT. So make sure you brace for questions regarding gpa and mcat. I was really surprised that it was not blind.... Idk whether it's something new that they are doing this year.

Good luck everyone! Wishing everyone the best! :)

I think they get a printout the pdf you get when you click "2016" on the TMDSAS site. It doesn't have your GPA or your MCAT score(s), but it does have your letter grades and the number of times you took the MCAT.

Last edited:
When u say u were complete by 7/28, that means u r tmdsas and secondary were complete and u had received their app complete email? Also do u mind sharing stats
Yes.
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 517

After lurking for years, made an account for this cycle!
II
Received Secondary: Jul 21
Sent Secondary: July 24
Application Complete: August 13

Reactions: 2 users
After lurking for years, made an account for this cycle!
II
Received Secondary: Jul 21
Sent Secondary: July 24
Application Complete: August 13

Dang that was pretty quick! Congratulations!

Dang that was pretty quick! Congratulations!
Appreciate it y'all and good luck! Each day, I'm learning more and more how random this process is. Still haven't gotten a secondary from a couple of places.

Appreciate it y'all and good luck! Each day, I'm learning more and more how random this process is. Still haven't gotten a secondary from a couple of places.
Congrats!!!

Mind sharing your stats?

Working on my secondary right now, will probably submit late tonight or tomorrow. I read these posts and it seems I am really late to the game. I asked my premed adviser and he said its fine, and I'm inclined to trust him with 20+ years doing this. Still, a little nervous lol.
Stats: 4.0 science, 3.97 overall, 513 MCAT

Working on my secondary right now, will probably submit late tonight or tomorrow. I read these posts and it seems I am really late to the game. I asked my premed adviser and he said its fine, and I'm inclined to trust him with 20+ years doing this. Still, a little nervous lol.

I'm pretty sure you will get an invitation a few days after you submit. I submitted on 8/5 and got an email on 8/7.

Submitted my secondary this morning, got application complete email less than a minute after, got interview invite email 35 minutes later! Scheduled for 08/26/15, the only date that was listed available for August or September.

Reactions: 4 users

I wasn't asked any behavioral or ethical questions during mine (I think) :shrug:, but the rest were true.
However, I was also kind of told I wasn't a good fit for the school, so maybe they weren't that interested in me to begin with :cryi:.

Edit: not explicitly told, but def got the impression.

Last edited:
I wasn't asked any behavioral or ethical questions during mine :shrug:, but the rest were true.
However, I was also kind of told I wasn't a good fit for the school, so maybe they weren't that interested in me to begin with :cryi:.

Wait why would they say that...? :(

Wait why would they say that...? :(
I told an interviewer I was interested in academics/research. It also says so in my application. IIRC it says on their secondary or somewhere that they're interested in people who want to do primary care.

Am I screwed if I haven't gotten an II yet? I just submitted my secondary last week..

Submitted my secondary this morning, got application complete email less than a minute after, got interview invite email 35 minutes later! Scheduled for 08/26/15, the only date that was listed available for August or September.

Whaaaaaaat? 35 minutes?! I've been waiting for 4 weeks! Haha

Reactions: 2 users
Am I screwed if I haven't gotten an II yet? I just submitted my secondary last week..
Depends on your application. I forget when they stop sending interviews, but it's probably late December or the beginning of Jan.
Someone at my interview told me they got an II for an interview three days later.

Last edited:
That is amazing!!!
Mind sharing your stats?

Did you actually do your bachelor's at UTPB?

and Kaz yes, I'll be graduating this December!! Finally

Can anyone give a summary of interview day?

Can anyone give a summary of interview day?

We started the day in a lounge-type area and there was coffee, juice, light breakfast. After that, there was a presentation, then a tour of the school and hospital, lunch, interviews (I believe 1pm-3:30, with 30 minute slots for each even though the interview itself is 20 minutes). You may have your interviews back to back or spread apart. Between interviews, there were medical students around to answer questions. I don't know if it was specific to my interview day, but there were also MS3 students from other campuses there. The last activity was a Q&A with students (MS3/MS4). We were out by 4:30, I believe.

We started the day in a lounge-type area and there was coffee, juice, light breakfast. After that, there was a presentation, then a tour of the school and hospital, lunch, interviews (I believe 1pm-3:30, with 30 minute slots for each even though the interview itself is 20 minutes). You may have your interviews back to back or spread apart. Between interviews, there were medical students around to answer questions. I don't know if it was specific to my interview day, but there were also MS3 students from other campuses there. The last activity was a Q&A with students (MS3/MS4). We were out by 4:30, I believe.

Thank you!!

Hey all, just got an II here today. Was completed on 7/17!

I just got an II today. I had my app completed 7/29.
They only had one day available to interview, (8/26/2015)., which was less than a week from today. But hey, an II is an II right?
Not sure if I'm going to stay in a hotel yet or just sign on to room with a med student the night before. Anyone else interviewing next Wednesday?

Thanks!
Yeah sure.
I submitted my secondary on 7/29. And my stats are
GPA: 3.74 UT Austin
511 on MCAT
I'm a non-trad though, graduated in 2012 and have been working in healthcare in the TMC and in R&D for a biotech company. Not entirely sure how the new MCAT is being evaluated so I'm pretty excited to see how everything is conducted come interview day.

Thanks!
Yeah sure.
I submitted my secondary on 7/29. And my stats are
GPA: 3.74 UT Austin
511 on MCAT
I'm a non-trad though, graduated in 2012 and have been working in healthcare in the TMC and in R&D for a biotech company. Not entirely sure how the new MCAT is being evaluated so I'm pretty excited to see how everything is conducted come interview day.
That's awesome.
I'm holding out hope myself. 31 MCAT, 3.9 GPA, decent ECs. TMDSAS was transmitted 7/16 but my secondary was sent 8/13. I have yet to receive II at any TX school. Sometimes its really discouraging but I'm still holding out hope.

Hey Texan2414,

Your stats are legit. I wouldn't worry because it is still super early in the interview process. To be completely
honest, I was surprised when I got the email for the II today while I was at work. I really wasn't expecting to hear back until September at the earliest. So you got it man, no worries.

Congrats @DoctorJJ3K and @FoodisGood163 !

To all who have received IIs, did y'all indicate an interest in primary care on the secondary application? I DID NOT select primary care as a field of interest and I wonder if that effectively killed my chances at texas tech.

Congrats @DoctorJJ3K and @FoodisGood163 !

To all who have received IIs, did y'all indicate an interest in primary care on the secondary application? I DID NOT select primary care as a field of interest and I wonder if that effectively killed my chances at texas tech.

Hey J1988,

I actually didn't indicate an interest in primary care. I did, however, indicate interest in serving in an underserved area, medical research, and academics (teaching). So I think you are ok as far as not selecting it. Hope that helps.