2016-2017 Cleveland Clinic (Lerner) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
at least you guys have some decision I'm still in the dark

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
This seems my top choice school... I have a GPA >3.8 at top 10 institutions, 511 on the MCAT with 132 in B/B but (123 in CARS)... This is my GAP year pursuing a really interesting, promising research that will be submitted/published soon this summer.. In addition, I have done an extensive research during my undergrad years since Freshmen year. My letters and ECs will be great (mainly focused on research). How would I stand in admission or interview invite? Would 123 in CARS really hold me back?

This seems my top choice school... I have a GPA >3.8 at top 10 institutions, 511 on the MCAT with 132 in B/B but (123 in CARS)... This is my GAP year pursuing a really interesting, promising research that will be submitted/published soon this summer.. In addition, I have done an extensive research during my undergrad years since Freshmen year. My letters and ECs will be great (mainly focused on research). How would I stand in admission or interview invite? Would 123 in CARS really hold me back?
Moderator, please move to WAMC

Reactions: 1 users

You have to realize that this is such a niche program that is it difficult to tell who they will be interested in. Also, this is not the place to post this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
You have to realize that this is such a niche program that is it difficult to tell who they will be interested in. Also, this is not the place to post this.

Regarding the comment "promising research that will be submitted/published soon this summer," in case your PI hasn't talked through the mechanics of submission please know that submitting an article to a (respected) journal for publication is not a guarantee of publication by any stretch. Take a look at most articles in the journal you intend to submit to. I bet you'll find that most are published ~9 months after initial submission given that they usually go through rounds of editing per suggestions made by the peer reviewers. And that does not even show the vast numbers of manuscripts that get submitted & ultimately rejected. Just wanted to make sure you understand the timing of it all and how that may affect your application, as "submitted for publication" really means very little regarding the quality of the study until acceptance.

Regarding the comment "promising research that will be submitted/published soon this summer," in case your PI hasn't talked through the mechanics of submission please know that submitting an article to a (respected) journal for publication is not a guarantee of publication by any stretch. Take a look at most articles in the journal you intend to submit to. I bet you'll find that most are published ~9 months after initial submission given that they usually go through rounds of editing per suggestions made by the peer reviewers. And that does not even show the vast numbers of manuscripts that get submitted & ultimately rejected. Just wanted to make sure you understand the timing of it all and how that may affect your application, as "submitted for publication" really means very little regarding the quality of the study until acceptance.

Exactly. Took me damn near two years to publish after I thought it was ready to be published.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anyone on the alternate list received a SL invite? I'm on the same boat as some of you guys here, in that I really want some kind of closure at this point so I can start planning attending another school or cling on to some more realistic hope.

Has anyone on the alternate list received a SL invite? I'm on the same boat as some of you guys here, in that I really want some kind of closure at this point so I can start planning attending another school or cling on to some more realistic hope.
@adcom101?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! I just wish they would tell me something, rejection or waitlist... total silence :/
Hopefully you'll hear something soon...silence is the worst. Especially since we were given a timeline to expect answers

I got an email about 10 minutes ago. There's nothing about it in my portal

Congrats!! I'm on the alternate list as well. Hoping they still have more second look invites to give

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats!! I'm on the alternate list as well. Hoping they still have more second look invites to give
It wouldn't surprise me if they do.

And thanks to everyone who said congrats!

Also, it's worth keeping in mind (including for me to try and contain my excitement) that while getting a second look invite is a good sign, it certainly doesn't guarantee acceptance, and that people who aren't invited to second look do end up accepted.

Second look invite as well! I received it via email this morning after getting an alternate list in December. There's nothing currently on my portal about it. I'm so grateful to still be in consideration :)

Heads up everyone, like CCresearcher said even if you don't get a SL invite people still get in without it!

Reactions: 4 users
Successfully dodged an acceptance, a WL, and a SL invite. I'm ready to dodge a dodgeball now

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats to those accepted and invited to SL. As I stated earlier, only 5-6 get SL invites. It will all depend on the final decisions of the first 32 accepted how deep CCLCM will accept down the WL. Getting SL invite is considered a very high WL and you're likely gain acceptance closer to the AAMC date line. As the first 32 start withdrawing their acceptance from CCLCM, it will be backfilled from SL invitees and then down the WL. Best of luck to all.

Congrats to those accepted and invited to SL. As I stated earlier, only 5-6 get SL invites. It will all depend on the final decisions of the first 32 accepted how deep CCLCM will accept down the WL. Getting SL invite is considered a very high WL and you're likely gain acceptance closer to the AAMC date line. As the first 32 start withdrawing their acceptance from CCLCM, it will be backfilled from SL invitees and then down the WL. Best of luck to all.

When should we expect a final decision? especially for those who haven't heard anything since the first rank meeting (no rejection nor waitlist)

adcom101, does that mean all 5-6 if not more SL invites have already gone out? I know from last years thread that they gave them out over a couple weeks im assuming as other people withdrew. Thanks for your continued help!

adcom101, does that mean all 5-6 if not more SL invites have already gone out? I know from last years thread that they gave them out over a couple weeks im assuming as other people withdrew. Thanks for your continued help!
Also wondering the same thing

Not sure exactly but it's conservative to say that SL invites are sent out by now. In addition, rarely anyone withdraws an acceptance from CCLCM until closer to AAMC deadline of 4/30.

Not sure exactly but it's conservative to say that SL invites are sent out by now. In addition, rarely anyone withdraws an acceptance from CCLCM until closer to AAMC deadline of 4/30.

Sorry if I'm beating this to death but do you have any idea when waitlists and rejection decisions will be released? Thank you for being so accommodating to all of us on the forum!

Congratulations to those who got SL invite!!
I was put on the alternate list as well in December, and I immediately sent letter of intent. I really hope there's still a chance for the rest of us! Meanwhile, my interview season continues...cha-ching :boom:

Sorry if I'm beating this to death but do you have any idea when waitlists and rejection decisions will be released? Thank you for being so accommodating to all of us on the forum!

There will be a lot of shuffling and movement over the next 8 weeks (until 4/30). I can't remember the wording of the WL that indicates whether you are considered high WL or just plain WL. This (including rejection letters) will occur in the next 2-4 weeks. It would help if current applicants inform the forum when they get a WL or rejection letter. I know some may never hear at all (and this honestly stinks) until a portal change that indicates that the CCLCM's incoming class for 2017 is now complete. Please be patient. I would advise not withdrawing your application if you're on the WL or in "purgatory" because you just never know what can happen. Merit scholarship notifications and MD-PhD acceptances/withdrawals from other institutions will also occur in the next two months. All of you that applied here are all excellent candidates and you will have great careers wherever you end up. Getting a rejection letter from CCLCM will not or does not predict the outcomes of your career and shouldn't be taken in a negative light. I wish you all the best and thank you for patience.

Reactions: 5 users
Alternative list!! via portal update (no email).

Reactions: 2 users
yeah... they should just reject us instead of keeping us in the dark lol

Hey at least I'm in somewhere (and hopefully you are too) so gonna be a doctor either way. I've just kind of accepted the fact that the cycle is over and the chance is so small that anything will change so I'm just getting excited to start this summer regardless of where I am!

I have no updates since my alt list offer on 12/30/16 so basically assuming rejection at this point. What can ya do ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just so you know, I think if you had an alternate list offer from December that still stands now. They won't send you a further update until there's movement on the waitlist or the end of the cycle.

Good luck everyone