2016-2017 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interviewed in november, still havent heard back anything...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most schools accept 2-3x their target class size. I think we are closer to 3x. Acceptances are offered at a slower rate when by the waitlist starts to move since they have a good idea of how many people will likely attend. Our school really tries not to over matriculate because we are limited by clerkship slots, so an extra 3-4 people can make it difficult down the road for administrators. Hence we are slightly more conservative in our acceptance offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMGGGGGGGG! ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Interviewed 3/9

Reactions: 4 users
hello everyone :) I'm a current third year student at Geisel and used to be on the admissions committee last year. I've gotten a few pms about the school/admission process these past weeks, so I thought I'd say hi and I'm happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Can you please enlighten us all as to how the committee determines who will be put on the waitlist when they meet and discuss candidates. Is it sort of like a thing where you take a vote around the room, etc...?

Have all the emails for acceptance/waitlist gone out this morning then?? Late Feb interviewee, still waiting.

Accepted just now! Interviewed 3/2

Reactions: 4 users
First came the waitlists, and I did not speak.

Then came the acceptances, and I did not speak.

?????

Reactions: 1 users
jordan-crying.jpg
When others got accepted but you're only on the waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted a little bit ago! Interviewed late Jan
Feeling very grateful.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know if they've ever any more interview dates scheduled? Or are they finished with interviewing?

For anyone curious, the earliest date last year that someone was accepted off the waitlist was May 3rd. Another person said they got in off the waitlist on May 9th. After that, there was a period of silence on the thread until the first week of June.

Looks like the beginning of May/beginning of June are the best bets to getting in off the WL.

I am feeling so grateful. Accepted just now. Interviewed in Feb. Did anyone here anything about a revisit weekend? Someone posted that it was April 22-23, but I have yet to confirm. Can't wait to meet all of you!!

I am feeling so grateful. Accepted just now. Interviewed in Feb. Did anyone here anything about a revisit weekend? Someone posted that it was April 22-23, but I have yet to confirm. Can't wait to meet all of you!!

Congratulations!! Sorry to be a neurotic premed but would you mind sharing at what time you received your email?

Congratulations! The second look days are Friday, April 21st and Saturday, April 22nd! Just got an official email regarding that and student hosts yesterday :)

Does anyone know if they've ever any more interview dates scheduled? Or are they finished with interviewing?

March 23rd was their final interview day and I believe the admissions committee met that evening and will meet one more time on April 6th. They told us on my interview day that they hope all decisions will be out by April 12th.

March 23rd was their final interview day and I believe the admissions committee met that evening and will meet one more time on April 6th. They told us on my interview day that they hope all decisions will be out by April 12th.

Got it - that's super helpful to know, thank you! What do you guys think that means for people who haven't heard either way yet?

Got it - that's super helpful to know, thank you! What do you guys think that means for people who haven't heard either way yet?

Well, the more acceptances sent out, the fewer there are to go around to those remaining.

Considering that no one on sdn reported being rejected in today's wave of decisions, I'd guess there's a bunch of rejections, some waitlists, and a few acceptances for the future. Since the last interview day was 3/23 and because Geisel doesn't strike me as the type of school to interview people with no intention of accepting them, I'd guess that there are at least a few acceptances left for that batch and the remaining candidates who come out on top.

They said that they try to make it an even playing field for people who interviewed later in the cycle so that's why a lot of people who interviewed months back haven't heard back yet so there's definitely still a chance at acceptances. I also know someone who interviewed first interview day 2 years ago and didn't hear back until closer to the end of the cycle and she was accepted so don't lose hope!

They accepted 5 people yesterday and waitlisted 8 people. It would be my guess that during their next deliberation session on April 6th, they will be reviewing the late interview people (Late March people) and the people who interviewed earlier who are on the line between WL and Reject.

You mean between WL and acceptance? That's what one person on here said. Plus it says on their website if you're "tier 3" whether or not you get on the waitlist vs rejected is based on interview score so I don't see why they'd have to waste time discussing it in the committee.

You mean between WL and acceptance? That's what one person on here said. Plus it says on their website if you're "tier 3" whether or not you get on the waitlist vs rejected is based on interview score so I don't see why they'd have to waste time discussing it in the committee.

Wait, where is this tier info?!

I'm gonna fuel this speculation fire with datas...

1C930FW.gif

Based on self-reported data from 2015-2016 cycle:

08APR – ACCEPT - mid March interview
08APR – REJECT – mid March interview
08APR – REJECT – early March interview
09APR – REJECT – mid March interview
11APR – REJECT – late February interview
11APR – REJECT – interview date not specified
11APR – WAITLIST – interview date not specified
11APR – WAITLIST – October interview
11APR – REJECT – November Interview
11APR – REJECT - interview date not specified
12APR – WAITLIST – interview date not specified
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-January interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-February interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-December interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-March interview
12APR – WAITLIST – early-February interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-October interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-September interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-Feb interview
12APR – ACCEPTED – mid-November interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-November interview
13APR – WAITLIST – interview date not specified
25APR – Final “I'm still waiting” post
03MAY – 1st acceptance off waitlist
03MAY – Acceptance off waitlist
09MAY – Acceptance (unclear if off WL)
03JUN – Acceptance off waitlist
07JUN – Acceptance off waitlist

From others datamining:
- Waitlists historically released (meaning everyone on waitlist was finally rejected) in 1st week of July since 2012, except for last year, when it was released in August
- "there were no reported outright acceptances after the first week of April (that I could find) in the past ~5 years of applicant threads

TLDR:
- 2 reported acceptances from final ADCOM meeting
- One acceptance was a mid-November interviewer, another was a mid-March interviewer
- Bloodbath soon

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
In many cases the final score is not simply an average of the 2 interview scores, some interviewers change their score once they hear what the other interviewer has to say, which influences how the committee votes.

In our class there was a lot of people doing dual degrees and research years (around 20 in total I can think of right now) so that's likely why the match list is shorter than expected.

Wait, where is this tier info?!

This is from 2012, so it might be a little out of date. Who knows how the committee actually works though, just wait and see.

ancient-aliens-black-magic.jpg

Attachments

• admissions_committee_charge.pdf
    135 KB · Views: 187
I'm gonna fuel this speculation fire with datas...

1C930FW.gif

Based on self-reported data from 2015-2016 cycle:

08APR – ACCEPT - mid March interview
08APR – REJECT – early March interview
09APR – REJECT – mid March interview
11APR – REJECT – interview date not specified
11APR – WAITLIST – interview date not specified
11APR – WAITLIST – October interview
11APR – REJECT – November Interview
11APR – REJECT - interview date not specified
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-January interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-February interview
12APR – WAITLIST – early-February interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-September interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-Feb interview
12APR – ACCEPTED – mid-November interview
12APR – WAITLIST – mid-November interview
13APR – WAITLIST – interview date not specified
25APR – Final “I'm still waiting” post
03MAY – 1st acceptance off waitlist
03MAY – Acceptance off waitlist
09MAY – Acceptance (unclear if off WL)
03JUN – Acceptance off waitlist
07JUN – Acceptance off waitlist

From others datamining:
- Waitlists historically released (meaning everyone on waitlist was finally rejected) in 1st week of July since 2012, except for last year, when it was released in August
- "there were no reported outright acceptances after the first week of April (that I could find) in the past ~5 years of applicant threads

TLDR:
- 2 reported acceptances from final ADCOM meeting
- One acceptance was a mid-November interviewer, another was a mid-March interviewer
- Bloodbath soon

There is a different admissions chair who is not doing things the same way as previous years according to Dina from admissions. This year's rejections/acceptances/waitlists is already not following this pattern. But based off of nothing in particular I sense blood soon.

Last edited:
There is a different admissions chair who is not doing things the same way as previous years according to Dina from admissions. This year's rejections/acceptances/waitlists is already not following this pattern. But based off of nothing in particular I sense blood soon.

Last edited:
Dr. Chris Larocca is the new chair of the admissions committee this year and Aileen Panitz is the admissions director.

I have no idea what each of these roles mean

but yeah, expecting bloodbath soon because they've only released a single wave of rejections all cycle (someone please correct me if I'm wrong)

Dr. Chris Larocca is the new chair of the admissions committee this year and Aileen Panitz is the admissions director.

I have no idea what each of these roles mean

I assume director is like the assistant to the chair. Handling all the application materials and what not. There's only been one set of rejections so far and it was only early interviews so I'm thinking there has to be another one around the bend.

I assume director is like the assistant to the chair. Handling all the application materials and what not. There's only been one set of rejections so far and it was only early interviews so I'm thinking there has to be another one around the bend.
latest

rejected just now, interviewed mid December. watch out everyone, it's coming!

Sorry to hear that

thanks, it was my first interview and i felt like it went ok, but I know there's a lot of different factors that go into these decisions! Hopefully another school will give me some love :)

Good observation... that's actually really strange and kind of concerning tbh
Is there a list version of the match list?

Don't want to jump to any conclusions, but certainly raised a red flag in my mind. Someone above, presumably a current student, mentioned that they recall at least 20+ students doing research years/dual-degrees in their class. However, that shouldn't really make a difference because students who decided to take research years/dual-degrees in previous years would have backfilled this year's graduating class, right? So, I'm still left wondering; unless this year's graduating class was the first to have a significant number of these students? Though that is an unlikely explanation.

There's no list as far as I can see, but there is a 1-hour video!:
For what it's worth, the list does sound fairly impressive.

Don't want to jump to any conclusions, but certainly raised a red flag in my mind. Someone above, presumably a current student, mentioned that they recall at least 20+ students doing research years/dual-degrees in their class. However, that shouldn't really make a difference because students who decided to take research years/dual-degrees in previous years would have backfilled this year's graduating class, right? So, I'm still left wondering; unless this year's graduating class was the first to have a significant number of these students? Though that is an unlikely explanation.

There's no list as far as I can see, but there is a 1-hour video!:
For what it's worth, the list does sound fairly impressive.

Maybe they doubled the students doing such things? The student above did say there was a significant amount of people doing it... I assume that was relative.