2016-2017 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hanover, Massachusetts haha.

You guys are depressing me btw it's not probably a rejection until it is. Dina from admissions said they don't hold back on notifying rejections. If it was a rejection you'd know by now there's probably no decision made. Waitlist goes out in batches though.

Thank you for this bit of positivity. Nice to have in this long wait.

Members don't see this ad.

November interviewee here, would anyone know if they accept post-interview updates? I would assume so but their admissions process seems to be a little atypical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I asked the admissions office of when they'll release decisions for mid-January interviews (ME), they responded: "Our decisions are going out weekly, but with no focus on when someone interviewed. We have requirements that must be met before a file can go to the committee meeting but we are now meeting weekly so hopefully you will hear from us soon."

Reactions: 2 users
I asked the admissions office of when they'll release decisions for mid-January interviews (ME), they responded: "Our decisions are going out weekly, but with no focus on when someone interviewed. We have requirements that must be met before a file can go to the committee meeting but we are now meeting weekly so hopefully you will hear from us soon."

Yea they told me something similar but I took it wth a grain of salt because all the rejections to come out last week were within a specific time frame. Seems to contradict the whole "no focus on interview date" thing.

I wonder what criteria she was referring too though.

I predict decisions for those who interviewed up to the end of January coming out between today and Monday

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted just now, interviewed Feb 2!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Welp that means the November interviewees who haven't heard anything are either rejected or waitlisted.

Does anybody know what the rules are regarding deferrals at Dartmouth? Some stuff came up that may result in me needed to wait a year before matriculation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know what the rules are regarding deferrals at Dartmouth? Some stuff came up that may result in me needed to wait a year before matriculation.
I would contact the admissions committee. It is probably common, and I would bet they are willing to work with you.

I would contact the admissions committee. It is probably common, and I would bet they are willing to work with you.

Thanks! I was gonna contact them but wondered if maybe anyone on here had some insight. Aileen seems like a homie though so I'm sure she will help

Stilllll patiently waiting for any news after my interview on their first interview date in september -.-

Reactions: 1 users
Sent in another update last Wednesday to try and help my cause after interviewing in November and having dead silence since then.

So I interviewed here today and they said that they will have a committee meeting tonight and on 4/6. A lot of decisions on early interviewees will be sent out at that time, mostly between 4/6 and 4/12 it seems. So I think we will all be hearing something together soon!

Reactions: 6 users
So I interviewed here today and they said that they will have a committee meeting tonight and on 4/6. A lot of decisions on early interviewees will be sent out at that time, mostly between 4/6 and 4/12 it seems. So I think we will all be hearing something together soon!
oh no my stomach ;~:

Reactions: 2 users
Also, they explained the financial aid stuff really clearly today. Pretty much the way it works is they first calculate the COA (about 80k). Then they give you your base loan of about 40k, that everyone has to take out. Then they subtract that and your parent contribution from fafsa from the COA, and give you a scholarship for the rest of the amount.
E.g. Coa is 80k, base loan is 40k, your projected parent contribution from fafsa is 20k, you get a 20k scholarship as part of the award letter.

I was confused about this earlier on the thread so I thought I'd clarify for everyone :)

Also, they explained the financial aid stuff really clearly today. Pretty much the way it works is they first calculate the COA (about 80k). Then they give you your base loan of about 40k, that everyone has to take out. Then they subtract that and your parent contribution from fafsa from the COA, and give you a scholarship for the rest of the amount.
E.g. Coa is 80k, base loan is 40k, your projected parent contribution from fafsa is 20k, you get a 20k scholarship as part of the award letter.

I was confused about this earlier on the thread so I thought I'd clarify for everyone :)

If my EFC and family contribution is 0, then they would have me take out the 40k loan only. Now, will I be able to use that loan for my living expenses?

If my EFC and family contribution is 0, then they would have me take out the 40k loan only. Now, will I be able to use that loan for my living expenses?
Same here. Yea, living expenses are included, so i imagine so. I'm going to clarify that with them again though

Any rejections post interview from january?

no post-II rejections or waitlists were sent out so far, I think! I think the bulk of us will hear back in April if we haven't been accepted by now.

I know at least one person who posted here who got rejected post-interview. And according to other comments, they do not hold back on rejections but they do send out waitlists in batches. They also said that they accept all the all-stars first and push back the "on the edge" candidates to further review in April. I anticipate a large group of acceptances within the next couple weeks and then the WL will start pouring out.

May have already been asked but does anyone know when second look for Geisel is this year?

hello everyone :) I'm a current third year student at Geisel and used to be on the admissions committee last year. I've gotten a few pms about the school/admission process these past weeks, so I thought I'd say hi and I'm happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.

hello everyone :) I'm a current third year student at Geisel and used to be on the admissions committee last year. I've gotten a few pms about the school/admission process these past weeks, so I thought I'd say hi and I'm happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability.
Wow thanks! I interviewed back in November and haven't heard anything since (a bunch of people are in this same boat). Should we interpret the silence as a waitlist or rejection at this point?

So assuming the process this year was the same last year, the answer is not necessarily. A lot of it depends on how long it takes for your interviewers to submit your evals. We cannot discuss applicants and reach a decision until both interviewers have submitted their evals, this can take from a day to months. The committee sends frequent reminders out to all of us for this purpose. I recall interviewing an applicant in October and discussing them in February. So hang in there guys and don't lose hope!

Interviewed in October and haven't heard anything, was hoping for a waitlist at this point.

They interview more than 800 people. It wouldn't make sense for them to accept 200+ applicants for a class size of 90.
But don't schools accept more students than they can fit in the class? They kinda have to because not all that they accept will go. I have heard schools have some sort of formula they use to decide how many to accept over their class size. Someone please correct me if I am wrong....