You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2016-2017 Indiana University Application Thread
Started by WedgeDawg
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Anybody hear anything back from them? There is some serious radio silence on my end. It's fine...I didn't wanna know where I was gonna have to live next semester anyway lol.
Nope. Maybe that South Bend rumor about accreditation was true? I just don't get why they can't send out a simple email / Facebook post saying when they'll let us know. It's really not fair to others that are using placement to determine which school they're going to choose. They are blatantly ignoring our questions....
If the South Benc rumor were true, wouldn't the word get out by now? It's hard to imagine the school keeping that a secret if it were true.Nope. Maybe that South Bend rumor about accreditation was true? I just don't get why they can't send out a simple email / Facebook post saying when they'll let us know. It's really not fair to others that are using placement to determine which school they're going to choose. They are blatantly ignoring our questions....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Also, they've GOT to release campus assignments before traffic day on April 30th. I'd be shocked if they didn't
Fortunately I'm gonna end up at IUSM regardless of where I get placed. I feel for you though. I feel like it doesn't take much effort to just send out an email.Nope. Maybe that South Bend rumor about accreditation was true? I just don't get why they can't send out a simple email / Facebook post saying when they'll let us know. It's really not fair to others that are using placement to determine which school they're going to choose. They are blatantly ignoring our questions....
There is a process to it I promise. When did they say they would release campus placements?Yeah word. No science behind it. Pure literature
Just sayin', be happy you got accepted. Loads of people are still waiting and are very nervous right now. Just because IUSM is not on SDN's thread schedule doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. They are doing their best I'm sure 🙂
I'm happy I got accepted but I also want to know where I'm even going so Im not homeless by fallThere is a process to it I promise. When did they say they would release campus placements?
Just sayin', be happy you got accepted. Loads of people are still waiting and are very nervous right now. Just because IUSM is not on SDN's thread schedule doesn't mean they don't know what they're doing. They are doing their best I'm sure 🙂
I'm happy I got accepted but I also want to know where I'm even going so Im not homeless by fall
Promise you'll be able to find an apartment. MS2s will help 🙂
I have a friend who is a current MS1 who told me he's pretty sure the accreditation took place on Monday, so they were probably getting ready for that all last week and didn't make time to send out campus placements. My guess would be we would know by this Friday.
Also an FYI, reaccreditation is something every medical school has to get done every so many years, and IUSM just happened to have their's this year. No reason behind it so the South Bend rumor is just a rumor, not sure where along the lines that had gotten misconstrued. I'm sorry for confusing anyone about that earlier!
Also an FYI, reaccreditation is something every medical school has to get done every so many years, and IUSM just happened to have their's this year. No reason behind it so the South Bend rumor is just a rumor, not sure where along the lines that had gotten misconstrued. I'm sorry for confusing anyone about that earlier!
I walked into the Indy admissions office and asked them when campus assignments would most likely be given out. They said "By the end of the week... most likely." It's not much, but it's something.
My fiancée and I are trying to plan our lives around this, so we're pretty stressed it's taking this long. That said, I could tell that admissions wanted to have assignments out as soon as possible, too. OrgoCoop is right; they're trying their hardest. But I wish there were a better way that, between the wait for acceptance and for placement, wasn't so damn stress-inducing.
My fiancée and I are trying to plan our lives around this, so we're pretty stressed it's taking this long. That said, I could tell that admissions wanted to have assignments out as soon as possible, too. OrgoCoop is right; they're trying their hardest. But I wish there were a better way that, between the wait for acceptance and for placement, wasn't so damn stress-inducing.
I walked into the Indy admissions office and asked them when campus assignments would most likely be given out. They said "By the end of the week... most likely." It's not much, but it's something.
My fiancée and I are trying to plan our lives around this, so we're pretty stressed it's taking this long. That said, I could tell that admissions wanted to have assignments out as soon as possible, too. OrgoCoop is right; they're trying their hardest. But I wish there were a better way that, between the wait for acceptance and for placement, wasn't so damn stress-inducing.
Just goes to show that campus assignments probably aren't as random or automated as we might think. Seems like they are putting a lot of work into something that is described as a "press the button" algorithm. Thanks for the info!
Its def not a random process. They actually take the time to construct, in their minds, a cohesive class for each campus. Not sure all the factors that they use, but this is what i've heard.Just goes to show that campus assignments probably aren't as random or automated as we might think. Seems like they are putting a lot of work into something that is described as a "press the button" algorithm. Thanks for the info!
So I forgot to submit the academic record and legal disclosure form. It says if you don't submit it with in 30 days your acceptance can be withdrawn....and I'm late on it. Just realized that today. Hopefully this isn't the end of me
Don't worry. That was the document I had brought in today. My understanding is that it's within 30 days of an item requiring legal disclosure. Just send it in ASAP and I'm sure you'll be fine.
Any news on campus assignments? Think I might call today if there is no word by 3
Any news on campus assignments? Think I might call today if there is no word by 3
Not yet, but I'm hopeful for by the end of the business day!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I totally understand things getting backed up, but they could at least give us all an update. Why the dramatics? It's incredibly frustratingI can't believe they haven't come out yet.
I'm so frustrated at this point. My current living situation depends on this campus assignment and I'm not trying to screw over my roommates by making them wait until May to determine whether or not they need to find a new roommate.
My campus assignment was just updated! Check your portal!
Me too!! 🙂 finally!!My campus assignment was just updated! Check your portal!
Same yay first choice!
3rd or 4th choice. Im HOT lol
Last edited:
Got the email 5 minutes ago!! I'm in Indy!
Muncie. Third choice. 😛
.
Last edited:
Evansville 4th choice. Even though I'm disappointed that I didn't get Bloomington, I'm crossing my fingers for second chance lottery! If I don't get it, at least the University of Southern Indiana is beautiful!
I see that campus assignments are out. As a lurker I see a lot of misconceptions about the Northwest (Gary) campus. I am currently an undergrad at this campus and it's not bad at all. The campus is located in the nice part of town. Yes, Gary is pretty ****ty. But the campus is safer than almost all the IU campuses. There are no dorms there so the campus has virtually 0 crime. IIRC there was like 1 stabbing this year, but it was almost a mile away from the campus. As long as you don't wander around the bad parts of Gary, you will be really safe.
Not to mention it's a great school and the med students are really friendly. They are also trying to get some rotations going in he area so you would have that to look forward to.
Not to mention it's a great school and the med students are really friendly. They are also trying to get some rotations going in he area so you would have that to look forward to.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know exactly how the second chance lottery works, but the info on the iusm website said that if you didn't like your second round pick, you could stay with your first round pick.
They also said you could try again next year, which I thought was cold af.
They also said you could try again next year, which I thought was cold af.
I know someone who got into his second choice campus last year, and tried the second chance lottery for Indianapolis but ended up in a totally different campus.If I enter the second chance lottery, is there a chance that I will end up at a campus I like even less?
If I got into Bloomington, what are the chances I can secure a spot in Indy with the second choice lottery, should I even try?
If I enter the second chance lottery, is there a chance that I will end up at a campus I like even less?
If I got into Bloomington, what are the chances I can secure a spot in Indy with the second choice lottery, should I even try?
I got Bloomington and have lived there for years. You will love it. Just give it a 2 year chance.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I got assigned to Northwest, my first choice too! I guess we'll be classmates!Wooo got my first choice Northwest! Now the roommate search begins!
If I enter the second chance lottery, is there a chance that I will end up at a campus I like even less?
If I got into Bloomington, what are the chances I can secure a spot in Indy with the second choice lottery, should I even try?[/QUOT
please try for indy I really want Bloomington!!! *cries* not but seriously my main concern is that due to my financial situation don't know if I'll be able to afford a car before school starts, and I got Evansville.
They changed that this year. In the email it says if you are not placed at your preferred campus you'll remain at your original placement.I know someone who got into his second choice campus last year, and tried the second chance lottery for Indianapolis but ended up in a totally different campus.
I went to Undergrad here, and I have already spent 5 years here. I love it, but I think it's time to move on.I got Bloomington and have lived there for years. You will love it. Just give it a 2 year chance.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Where did you guys send your transcripts to?
Edit: Disregard, I've got the address
Edit: Disregard, I've got the address
Last edited:
How are pple out of state planning on finding housing?
Trying to decide how to go about this...it would be easier if I were closer but I'm further away
Trying to decide how to go about this...it would be easier if I were closer but I'm further away
I visited a few places when I was there. A lot of the sexton properties are nice but there is a waitlist. I found these to be the most affordable/nearest to the school.How are pple out of state planning on finding housing?
Trying to decide how to go about this...it would be easier if I were closer but I'm further away
How are pple out of state planning on finding housing?
Trying to decide how to go about this...it would be easier if I were closer but I'm further away
Heyo I'm an OOS student at a regional campus currently. Unfortunately you just gotta find an apartment complex that lets you lease online or through email/fax and just accept that you won't see the place unless you drag yourself up there early to check out your campus.
I leased the apartment I'm in online. Wasn't too thrilled with it, but it's not bad. Your experience may vary. Also, I visited once about a month before classes started to get a feel for the area. You may wish to as well.
Indy is the dream, but only sorta. Third year is stuffy because residents lie between you and the attending, much harder to get a good letter from an attending/to be noticed, but it gives you a good feel for a big academic institution. Bloomington and W. Lafayette are beautiful and cultural, but you won't find much time for that unfortunately. South Bend is... South Bend. Evansville is the academic all-star of the state (250 average step 1 in 2014 of their students, made all of our jaws drop--something about Evansville just yields killer scores year after year). Fort Wayne is probably the location to end up in if you don't land Indy: second largest metropolitan area, lots of docs, lots of specialists, lots of connections to be made, fantastic third year exposure, independent summer research program. Muncie is close to Indy, and Muncie/Terre Haute are great community/rural medicine programs.
If you want research, you're going to find it (over summer, maybe not at your campus). Unless you're okay with your grade dropping, you're not going to be doing hardly any research during the academic year anyway.
Good luck all.
Last edited:
Heyo I'm an OOS student at a regional campus currently. Unfortunately you just gotta find an apartment complex that lets you lease online or through email/fax and just accept that you won't see the place unless you drag yourself up there early to check out your campus.
I leased the apartment I'm in online. Wasn't too thrilled with it, but it's not bad. Your experience may vary. Also, I visited once about a month before classes started to get a feel for the area. You may wish to as well.
Indy is the dream, but only sorta. Third year is stuffy because residents lie between you and the attending, much harder to get a good letter from an attending/to be noticed, but it gives you a good feel for a big academic institution. Bloomington and W. Lafayette are beautiful and cultural, but you won't find much time for that unfortunately. South Bend is... South Bend. Evansville is the academic all-star of the state (250 average step 1 in 2014 of their students, made all of our jaws drop--something about Evansville just yields killer scores year after year). Fort Wayne is probably the location to end up in if you don't land Indy: second largest metropolitan area, lots of docs, lots of specialists, lots of connections to be made, fantastic third year exposure, independent summer research program. Muncie is close to Indy, and Muncie/Terre Haute are great community/rural medicine programs.
If you want research, you're going to find it (over summer, maybe not at your campus). Unless you're okay with your grade dropping, you're not going to be doing hardly any research during the academic year anyway.
Good luck all.
Thanks for the info. Did you end up finding a roommate or living by yourself for your apartment?
Thanks for the info. Did you end up finding a roommate or living by yourself for your apartment?
Moved with my SO, living with her.
Our campus developed a FB page, so you might think about heading to that or starting one up and seeing if you can room with another classmate?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The curriculum is organ blocks right? Professor written exams?
The curriculum is organ blocks right? Professor written exams?
First semester is two mega-courses that mix and match embryology, biochemistry/molecular biology/genetics, histology, and anatomy. Second semester is three blocks, first is physio, second is micro/immuno, third is when true organ blocks begin as neuro.
Exams are standardized across all campuses, and written by all professors who teach that block across the courses. All exam questions from each professor are thrown in a giant pool, and the professors discuss each others' questions before exams to include/exclude them from the exams. From what we've observed, the course-director (usually in Indy) gets the final say and the greatest weight in how each block and exam is organized.
Curriculum is pass/fail. Only recently has mandatory attendance been revoked for didactic lectures. TBL is still mandatory.
First semester is two mega-courses that mix and match embryology, biochemistry/molecular biology/genetics, histology, and anatomy. Second semester is three blocks, first is physio, second is micro/immuno, third is when true organ blocks begin as neuro.
Exams are standardized across all campuses, and written by all professors who teach that block across the courses. All exam questions from each professor are thrown in a giant pool, and the professors discuss each others' questions before exams to include/exclude them from the exams. From what we've observed, the course-director (usually in Indy) gets the final say and the greatest weight in how each block and exam is organized.
Curriculum is pass/fail. Only recently has mandatory attendance been revoked for didactic lectures. TBL is still mandatory.
Thanks for the information!First semester is two mega-courses that mix and match embryology, biochemistry/molecular biology/genetics, histology, and anatomy. Second semester is three blocks, first is physio, second is micro/immuno, third is when true organ blocks begin as neuro.
Exams are standardized across all campuses, and written by all professors who teach that block across the courses. All exam questions from each professor are thrown in a giant pool, and the professors discuss each others' questions before exams to include/exclude them from the exams. From what we've observed, the course-director (usually in Indy) gets the final say and the greatest weight in how each block and exam is organized.
Curriculum is pass/fail. Only recently has mandatory attendance been revoked for didactic lectures. TBL is still mandatory.
Do we need to get any blood work done for the immunization stuff?
If you have proof of recent Varicella vaccination, then no. If you don't, then you either need to get your bloodwork done or get another Varicella.
I ended up needing to get Varicella and TDaP, but I think you have until like June/July to get that done.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K