2016-2017 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
On my interview day in mid-December they told us we could expect decisions on or before February 1st. Do we think that's still happening??

Reactions: 1 user
On my interview day in mid-December they told us we could expect decisions on or before February 1st. Do we think that's still happening??
When I interviewed in early November they were saying late January. The website says late January and the facebook page says early February. That's good to hear that they said February 1st! I would think if anything it would be this coming Friday just because that seems to be when everyone releases decisions, but let's hope for Wednesday!

In case anyone was wondering. Past years decisions went out on:
2012-2013: Jan 28-31ish (They still called then)
2013-2014: Jan 31 (A Friday)
2014-2015: Jan 30, about 8:30 AM (A Friday) -
2015-2016: February 1st (a Monday) - They said by February 1st for last year.
This year they said late January, then by February 1st, and then early February. My hunch is for this Friday since they seem to like sending out decisions on Fridays. Here's to hoping it's earlier though!

Is there a trend to the time of day that decisions are released?
I couldn't see the time on the old posts--they just show the date after a few years--but from what I gathered it seemed like first thing in the morning (8-9 AM) the portal would change and shortly after (by about 10 AM) an email would be sent saying there was a decision.

Does anyone know the post interview acceptance rate?

Your decision is in portal as of 2/1.

Rejected, but still hopeful for wave of upcoming decisions. Congrats to everyone who made it!

Reactions: 1 users
ACCEPTED!! Having trouble thinking straight haha and still don't quite understand AAMC acceptance procedures. My acceptance letter says:

I acknowledge the acceptance of my application and hereby declare my intention to matriculate in the First Year Class entering in late August 2017. I am cognizant of my right to alter my decision under the recommended acceptance procedures of the Association of American Medical Colleges.

So accepting this isn't binding right? I can accept multiple offers of admission and choose where I'll enroll in April?

Sooooo grateful for the opportunity to be at such an amazing institution.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist
This makes it difficult to decide when to take those prerequisite courses
Anybody been in a similar position?

Sent from my Redmi Pro using SDN mobile

Waitlist
This makes it difficult to decide when to take those prerequisite courses
Anybody been in a similar position?

Do they have high priority waitlist and regular waitlist or is there only one overall waitlist?

Do they have high priority waitlist and regular waitlist or is there only one overall waitlist?
It seemed like there was only one waitlist
The problem is I'd have to take courses for other universities too

OMG ACCEPTED!!! This is my first acceptance of the cycle so I'm literally crying right noww

Reactions: 7 users
Congratulations!! It's not binding -- we can hold multiple acceptances until April, this just tells them that we want our spot held until then.

ACCEPTED!! Having trouble thinking straight haha and still don't quite understand AAMC acceptance procedures. My acceptance letter says:

I acknowledge the acceptance of my application and hereby declare my intention to matriculate in the First Year Class entering in late August 2017. I am cognizant of my right to alter my decision under the recommended acceptance procedures of the Association of American Medical Colleges.

So accepting this isn't binding right? I can accept multiple offers of admission and choose where I'll enroll in April?

Sooooo grateful for the opportunity to be at such an amazing institution.

Placed on alternate list as well, but still hopeful! Can anyone speak to the movement off the alternate list and when we could potentially hear back?

Does anyone know the rate to be pulled off the wait list?

Placed on alternate list as well, but still hopeful! Can anyone speak to the movement off the alternate list and when we could potentially hear back?

When I interviewed they said on average 30-40 people are pulled from the waitlist. We would probably hear May/June.

Has anyone been put on the "waitlist" as opposed to the "alternate list"? If so, is there a difference?

Accepted this morning!! SO thrilled, interviewed on 12/09 :)

LizzyM ~ 79.

Had a great interview day here, YAYAYAY.

Reactions: 6 users
Riding the pre-II rejection train. Complete mid-October. All the best to all of you! Congratulations to all who are being accepted!

Congratulations to everyone who got accepted in December and yesterday! I hope you all decide to come here! To convince you of this, we invite you to attend Second Look Weekend, April 6-9, where you'll be able to hang out with your fellow classmates and bond with Hopkins students who can give you 2985982934 reasons you should come here. You will be receiving an email from the SLW Committee shortly, if not already, so be on the look out for that!

For those of you on the waitlist, a very large portion of each class comes off of the waitlist throughout all of May/June and even later. Keep your hopes up and send updates if you have them!

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry if someone already asked/answered this, but does anyone know if they are receptive to letters of interest? (I am waitlisted, and don't really have an update)

Best of luck to all those waitlisted! I definitely know it's an anxious process, but I heard there is a substantial movement later on.

For those who were recently accepted... does anyone know when we find out about financial aid packages?

Best of luck to all those waitlisted! I definitely know it's an anxious process, but I heard there is a substantial movement later on.

For those who were recently accepted... does anyone know when we find out about financial aid packages?
From the website:

"Awarding for new students will begin March 15 and for continuing students, May 1. Awarding for graduate PhD students will begin July 1. Program specific information is listed below.

Students will be notified to accept or decline their awards through the SIS Self-Service module. Continuing students will be notified by e-mail using their assigned JHED email address. New students will be notified using the email address submitted at time of admission if a JHED email address has not been assigned."

Can any current students comment on housing, especially where first years tend to live? I'm trying to get a better idea of living expenses to factor into making a decision/calculating how much I'll have to take out in loans. All the apartments that I've found online near the school seem to be fairly pricey (929, Jefferson Square, the Standard) so I'm not sure if students tend to live in another area (and take a shuttle to class?).

About 50% of the first year class lives in 929 simply because it's convenient, definitely one of the shortest commutes (10 min walk) and rent includes all utilities as well, so keep that in mind. In addition, last year 929 did a promotion where you could get $100 off your rent each month if you picked your roommates out and signed the lease together ($100 off per month per person). I'm not sure if they're still doing that this year, but if they are, it makes it a relatively solid deal. Keep in mind that utilities in a rowhome tend to run $60-$100 per person per month, but are included at 929.

Aside from 929, people live in rowhomes in Fells Point/Upper Fells (1-2 miles south of campus) or in Mt. Vernon (closer to downtown). You'll have opportunities to explore these areas during Second Look Weekend if you're interested in seeing what they're like.

Of course, your decision will also vary depending on how many roommates you're will to have, how strongly you prefer having your own bathroom, whether you need a parking space, etc...

Reactions: 2 users

Last year we found out around beginning of April. Be sure you submit both the FAFSA and CSS. Most schools require FAFSA but Hopkins is unique in requiring the CSS as well. The FAFSA makes you eligible for loans, while the CSS makes you eligible for financial aid scholarship (aka free $$$, so don't miss out)

Thank you for your responses!! Definitely need that free $$$, so submitted CSS and am keeping my fingers crossed!

One more random logistical question for any current students: Does Hopkins require any kind of a medical checkup before matriculation?

Planning on leaving my job soon and would rather get this out of the way asap while I have cheap insurance through my employer.. :p

When you refer to scholarships that the CSS makes you eligible for, you mean solely need based right? I submitted only FAFSA because submitting the CSS costs money and I didnt think I was going to qualify for need based aid anyways.
Yes, need-based aid only. However, if I were you I would strongly recommend filing the CSS regardless. I was in the same boat as you last year, but then I found out many people who were greatly surprised that they received some need-based aid even when they weren't expecting it, and to my surprise I got some too. Financial aid has been trying to increase the total amount of need-based aid they give out. Also, you will only need to submit the CSS profile 1 time during your time here, so whatever award you get will be renewed for all 4 (or more) years that you're here. Another thing to note is that if you have a sibling in college, Hopkins takes that into account a lot more than other schools do for some reason.

TL;DR: I would fill out the CSS regardless of your financial situation. You really never know. It's a nominal fee compared to the amount that you could be getting back!

Its quite an honor, but I'm still very concerned about safety.

Its quite an honor, but I'm still very concerned about safety.
Samee. I didn't even dream of getting in here, so I'm thrilled, but the crime rate is making me (and my family) freak out.

This was also the only school I visited that included the crime rate report in the interview day folder.

Visited Baltimore for the first time on interview day and fell in love with it. I love Baltimore because it's imperfect; it's real. I want to be there for my medical education! Choosing Hopkins over other popular cities (e.g. Bay Area, Phoenix, Nashville, NYC)!

Was originally concerned about the crime there but should be okay if you exercise common sense.

Visited Baltimore for the first time on interview day and fell in love with it. I love Baltimore because it's imperfect; it's real. I want to be there for my medical education! Choosing Hopkins over other popular cities (e.g. Bay Area, Phoenix, Nashville, NYC)!

Was originally concerned about the crime there but should be okay if you exercise common sense.

I completely agree!

Btw did you get a chance to go to the inner harbor area? That's an entirely different side of Baltimore I didn't expect lol

I completely agree!

Btw did you get a chance to go to the inner harbor area? That's an entirely different side of Baltimore I didn't expect lol

Yes! Went to Inner Harbor, Fells Point, and Patterson Park -- my three favorite places in Baltimore. To me, Charm City is the perfect balance between urban life and rural serenity. That's my reason for turning down a NYC school.

Yes! Went to Inner Harbor, Fells Point, and Patterson Park -- my three favorite places in Baltimore. To me, Charm City is the perfect balance between urban life and rural serenity. That's my reason for turning down a NYC school.

I would love to go here haha. Lets hope we hear some good news next month! :)

Interviewed on Jan 26th, which was probably one of their latest days. Does anybody know when I would hear back?