2016-2017 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for letting me know!

Another issue though is that I dont actually have my student interviewer's full name. He introduced himelf by name, but Im not sure how to spell it (it was an Indian name). Would it be weird if I had to ask Ms. Mazza which interviewer I was assigned because I cant spell his name?

Hmm. I would try to spell it phonetically in your initial email to Ms. Mazza asking for his full name rather than simply asking for it, something along the lines of "I'm currently in the process of writing thank you emails and my interviewer's name was ___ but I wanted to make sure I spell it correctly". It seems like a reasonable thing to do though since you want to make sure you spell his name correctly.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm. I would try to spell it phonetically in your initial email to Ms. Mazza asking for his full name rather than simply asking for it, something along the lines of "I'm currently in the process of writing thank you emails and my interviewer's name was ___ but I wanted to make sure I spell it correctly". It seems like a reasonable thing to do though since you want to make sure you spell his name correctly.
Ahh good suggestion. I'll do that. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
MS1 here, some stuff from admin:

Decisions are expected to be sent in around 10 days

SLW planned for weekend of 4/6...same weekend as Stanford, Yale, P&S, Pritzker, Case, Pitt, Rochester

Thanks for this information! I'm wondering how you know when second look weekends are? I'd love to get more information on schools/dates.

Thanks for this information! I'm wondering how you know when second look weekends are? I'd love to get more information on schools/dates.
The admissions committee read off the list of schools that they're "competing" against that weekend haha, during a SLW planning info session. There's a total of 9 schools selecting that particular weekend to host Second Look; I don't remember all of them unfortunately.

Reactions: 1 user

The admissions committee read off the list of schools that they're "competing" against that weekend haha, during a SLW planning info session. There's a total of 9 schools selecting that particular weekend to host Second Look; I don't remember all of them unfortunately.

IIRC Vanderbilt has their second look that weekend as well.

Thanks for letting me know!

Another issue though is that I dont actually have my student interviewer's full name. He introduced himelf by name, but Im not sure how to spell it (it was an Indian name). Would it be weird if I had to ask Ms. Mazza which interviewer I was assigned because I cant spell his name?

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't post sooner but I was also rejected post-interview last week

To those who got accepted: I got a confirmation email for Statement of Intent.

if I am interviewing early january, does anyone know when I will hear back?

if I am interviewing early january, does anyone know when I will hear back?
I believe it's March. Idk if this is accurate, but one of my interviewers told me there were 3 major decision dates (December, end of January, and March)

To those who have already interviewed - is it 45 min with faculty and 45 min with MS4? and then talking with MS4s in between? Sorry if this has already been asked!

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who have already interviewed - is it 45 min with faculty and 45 min with MS4? and then talking with MS4s in between? Sorry if this has already been asked!

I believe they are supposed to last 30, maybe 40 minutes each (my schedule has each faculty interview separated by 45 minutes) but some run over that, it depends on the interviewer. And yes, when not interviewing you are in a discussion group ("fish bowl") with MS4's and other interviewees.

Last edited:
I believe it's March. Idk if this is accurate, but one of my interviewers told me there were 3 major decision dates (December, end of January, and March)

aww you don't think they might get to it by end of January? :(

Can any recent interviewees provide some insight regarding their "fishbowl" experience? I am pretty anxious regarding what to expect.

Can any recent interviewees provide some insight regarding their "fishbowl" experience? I am pretty anxious regarding what to expect.
Don't be anxious at all, it is basically just a time to talk to MS4s about their experiences at Hopkins and get a better feel for the school. No one is taking notes. My feel is that as long as you aren't completely silent or trying to take over every conversation, the fish bowl period will not affect your application.

Don't be anxious at all, it is basically just a time to talk to MS4s about their experiences at Hopkins and get a better feel for the school. No one is taking notes. My feel is that as long as you aren't completely silent or trying to take over every conversation, the fish bowl period will not affect your application.
Got it. Thank you very much!

Does anyone know when the last IIs went out in previous years?

Anyone done any research on when the late-January decisions will be going out? I'm too lazy to dig into past threads :p

Anyone done any research on when the late-January decisions will be going out? I'm too lazy to dig into past threads :p
I don't remember where I saw this (MSAR or their website maybe)? But I think it's actually early February. They told us late January at our interview as well, but I believe on either of those sources it says early February.

Edit: their website says late January, I don't know which date though. I would also appreciate any insight! This wait is killing me.

I don't remember where I saw this (MSAR or their website maybe)? But I think it's actually early February. They told us late January at our interview as well, but I believe on either of those sources it says early February.

Edit: their website says late January, I don't know which date though. I would also appreciate any insight! This wait is killing me.

Their facebook page mentions that the next acceptance notifications would be "sent in early February and late March". I hope this helps.

For those who interviewed, there is no priority deadline for the CSS profile right? Just March 1st?

I emailed the admissions office and they said that they dont consider letters of intent, can anyone confirm or comment on this?

I emailed the admissions office and they said that they dont consider letters of intent, can anyone confirm or comment on this?

Pretty much the impression I've got from top schools. One school told us: "you attending our interview is all the intent we need."

For those who interviewed, when writing thank you emails to your student interviewer did you just address them by their first name? The MS4 who interviewed me only introduced themselves with a first name so I'm not sure what to do for the thank you note.

Hoping for decision this week...

Edit: I have faith that the timeline website for this year's cycle in addition to what they told us about "late January" are true.

Oh my god, just got a II!! I'm speechless. I was complete late (early October), LizzyM 75.

Reactions: 2 users
Hoping for decision this week...

Edit: I have faith that the timeline website for this year's cycle in addition to what they told us about "late January" are true.

Looks like last year, decisions came out on Friday, January 29. Hoping we get these decisions soon...

I hate to put a damper on the positivity but the admissions facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JohnsHopkinsSchoolOfMedicineAdmissions/
maintains that acceptances will be sent next in early February. Someone asked a few hours ago if there was a specific day in February, and the school replied that there was no specific day.

So I'm reading that as that as of today they're still planning on early February. This wait is killing me though.

I hate to put a damper on the positivity but the admissions facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JohnsHopkinsSchoolOfMedicineAdmissions/
maintains that acceptances will be sent next in early February. Someone asked a few hours ago if there was a specific day in February, and the school replied that there was no specific day.

So I'm reading that as that as of today they're still planning on early February. This wait is killing me though.

Hopefully they have mercy on us and release on the 1st then haha. Maybe they'll surprise us an do it a bit earlier? A guy can dream :p

Darn, they should update the website :(
Will plan on Feb! Thanks for update!

Hopefully they have mercy on us and release on the 1st then haha. Maybe they'll surprise us an do it a bit earlier? A guy can dream :p

One can only hope. I'm sure many of you are in a similar boat as me; I should hear from 4 schools in the next 2 weeks, and the anxiety is ridiculous.

can anyone comment on what the interview is like/what to expect?

can anyone comment on what the interview is like/what to expect?

Interviews occur at the end of the day (thankfully the day starts at 11:00, 10:00 if you do the housing tour, so you shouldn't be too tired). It occurs after the lunch and tour. You and everyone else in the interview group will meet in the same room that you gathered in during arrival. You're stationed there with 4-6 fourth year medical students who are there to answer your questions as well as assess you ("fishbowl"). I honestly would not stress out too much about this, if you have questions you'd like to ask then go ahead but if you don't have any, I wouldn't sweat it. I mostly listened to what others had to say and asked maybe 1-3 questions. Just make sure that you're not looking at your phone, sleeping, being rude, etc. One of these students will also act as your student interviewer. Depending on when your faculty interview is scheduled, one of the fourth years will let you know that they are your interviewer and will pull you aside for the student interview. This may be at the beginning of this "fishbowl" session or towards the end of it. Interviews are scheduled for 30-45 minutes but can go longer.

As for the interview itself. I would suggest that you go over your application and pay special attention to your responses to the JHU secondary questions. If you wrote about research, be able to explain it, if you discussed a specific experience be ready to go over it in detail. Be prepared for your interviewers to be familiar with your application and ask specific questions about your responses.

Interviews occur at the end of the day (thankfully the day starts at 11:00, 10:00 if you do the housing tour, so you shouldn't be too tired). It occurs after the lunch and tour. You and everyone else in the interview group will meet in the same room that you gathered in during arrival. You're stationed there with 4-6 fourth year medical students who are there to answer your questions as well as assess you ("fishbowl"). I honestly would not stress out too much about this, if you have questions you'd like to ask then go ahead but if you don't have any, I wouldn't sweat it. I mostly listened to what others had to say and asked maybe 1-3 questions. Just make sure that you're not looking at your phone, sleeping, being rude, etc. One of these students will also act as your student interviewer. Depending on when your faculty interview is scheduled, one of the fourth years will let you know that they are your interviewer and will pull you aside for the student interview. This may be at the beginning of this "fishbowl" session or towards the end of it. Interviews are scheduled for 30-45 minutes but can go longer.

As for the interview itself. I would suggest that you go over your application and pay special attention to your responses to the JHU secondary questions. If you wrote about research, be able to explain it, if you discussed a specific experience be ready to go over it in detail. Be prepared for your interviewers to be familiar with your application and ask specific questions about your responses.

Yep they described it very accurately!!

Tbh if you want to, you can skip the housing your, it wasn't worth imo lol

Yep they described it very accurately!!

Tbh if you want to, you can skip the housing your, it wasn't worth imo lol
Only 1 person in my group did a tour. It's not done by Hopkins it's done by an apartment pretty close to Hopkins. All of the students told me that the apartment was a good choice if you get in off the waitlist and are scrambling to find housing, but if you have plenty of time to look around you can do much better for a better price.

Thank you so much for the detailed response!! :)

anyone know roughly what % of interviewed applicants will be accepted?

anyone know roughly what % of interviewed applicants will be accepted?
39.5% according to USNWR - presumably this includes waitlist acceptances too

II a few hours ago!

Reactions: 3 users