2016-2017 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed on Jan 26th, which was probably one of their latest days. Does anybody know when I would hear back?
I think they said end of March is when the next decisions will be released.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like it's still a good idea to fill out the CSS then! I'll just have my fingers crossed for some aid (otherwise I'm looking at a 300k loan).

Still though, my issue with need-based financial aid is that the office only assesses your parents' income rather than familial circumstances. On paper, our family's income may look fairly high (250-400k) range, but my parents are also fully supporting their own parents and all their siblings' families back in their home country, so that amount is being spread pretty thinly:/

That's a fair point. Are any of these family members considered "dependents"? If so, they would be accounted for in the FAFSA/CSS. My guess is they're not... so what I would suggest is for you to fill out the very last section of the CSS (the "ES" section, which stands for something i don't remember), where you get a text box to explain anything that you think isn't represented in your application. In addition, I would recommend setting up an appointment with the financial aid office to discuss your situation (but only after they have received your CSS so that they can have something to reference). I will say our financial aid folks were definitely on the nicer side when I was choosing between schools! It may turn out that they don't have any control over the situation, but at the very least they're more than happy to sit down and talk it through with you and see what options are available.

Reactions: 1 users
To all those talking about safety in Baltimore:

Yes, it is certainly a real concern, but should you feel compelled to choose a school that you like less for safety alone? Certainly not. I say this because with the proper street smarts, the vast majority of my classmates all do fine. Walk in groups, avoid walking late at night, avoid neighborhoods that are statistically less safe (you'll get the hang of it pretty quickly), avoid choosing a house in less safe areas, don't use earbuds on the street, don't text while walking. The worst crimes that have happened in my class thus far (that I know of) are a few smashed car windows. In 100% of these cases, the car was parked in not-so-great areas, and they learned quickly. Hopkins campus itself is relatively safe. There are security booths on literally every block of the hospital area that are manned 24/7/365. If you live in the 929 apartments, you can request security to walk you home. If you live further off campus, there is a shuttle that leaves from the hospital main entrance 24/7 that drops you off right at your doorstep. Occasionally, crime does happen on campus too (we get an email notification whenever it does)... but let's be real, that is true of all urban environments.

If safety is still of major concern to you, I suggest at the very least coming to SLW and seeing for yourself what the city is like. You'll have opportunities to tour the downtown area more as well as some of the off-campus areas that students live. You can talk to students here and ask them if they've ever felt unsafe and how they have adapted to living in Baltimore. If you decide then that it's still too sketchy or too scary, then that's totally fine. I wouldn't want you to live your 4 years here in fear.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the March wave will come?

Good advice--definitely planning on attending SLW to check out the neighborhood more and see if I can imagine myself living there for 4 years.

On a somewhat related noted, does anyone know if the student hosts for SLW will all be in 929? It'd be nice to experience living there in case we choose to live there first year.
Student hosts for SLW will be from all areas (almost all within 929, Fells, Mt Vernon though). If you feel strongly about staying in 929 during SLW, I would put that in your housing request form so that they can match you appropriately.

Do you guys think JHU has already handed out enough acceptance offers to fill the class?

I heard that schools have to do that before march 15th. Any insider info @phuynh94 ?

I interviewed in Jan. and this is the only school I am waiting on, so i am really desperate to find out (if you can't already tell)

Do you guys think JHU has already handed out enough acceptance offers to fill the class?

I heard that schools have to do that before march 15th. Any insider info @phuynh94 ?

I interviewed in Jan. and this is the only school I am waiting on, so i am really desperate to find out (if you can't already tell)
Certainly not enough offers to fill the class yet since there is one final wave of acceptances coming out right at the end of March. And traditionally, there has *always* been wait list movement. The number of acceptances so far isn't close to the amount needed to fill the class given that not 100% matriculate from that list.

Certainly not enough offers to fill the class yet since there is one final wave of acceptances coming out right at the end of March. And traditionally, there has *always* been wait list movement. The number of acceptances so far isn't close to the amount needed to fill the class given that not 100% matriculate from that list.

Oh thank you!

I know that not everyone who gets the acceptance offer matriculates haha. But I have heard that med schools have to send out acceptance offers equal to the # of first-year seats by march 15th. So, I was curious if JHU has already done that haha. I guess what i essentially wanted to know was when the March wave will come? :p before or after march 15th.

Is it too early to start asking if anyone's interested in looking for room/housemates? I guess it'll be smarter to wait until the SLW and see, but I'm >75% sure I'll be coming to Hopkins (barring any ridiculously low financial aid that doesn't match other schools'), and I'm seriously considering the 2 bed/2bath option (or the 4 bed) at 929, with lease starting on 6/15. They have a special going on rn where we can get discounts! PM me if interested! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it too early to start asking if anyone's interested in looking for room/housemates? I guess it'll be smarter to wait until the SLW and see, but I'm >75% sure I'll be coming to Hopkins (barring any ridiculously low financial aid that doesn't match other schools'), and I'm seriously considering the 2 bed/2bath option (or the 4 bed) at 929, with lease starting on 6/15. They have a special going on rn where we can get discounts! PM me if interested! :p
Do you know if the leases have to start 6/15 to get the discount?

On a related note, anyone know if the school provides some sort of roommate match? Like where you insert your noise/cleanliness preferences and they match you with others with similar preferences? I'm kinda neurotic about needing a super quiet place to study/sleep lol.

Do you know if the leases have to start 6/15 to get the discount?

On a related note, anyone know if the school provides some sort of roommate match? Like where you insert your noise/cleanliness preferences and they match you with others with similar preferences? I'm kinda neurotic about needing a super quiet place to study/sleep lol.

I'm not sure; they said the new tenants will need to sign the lease together in order to get the discount, and as far as I could find out, the start dates were either 6/15 or 8/1. I just personally much prefer 6/15 to 8/1 for my own reasons, although I could be flexible if need be. And as far as the roommate match, I think a few other schools' admins have set up a sort of a Google spreadsheet on their FB page where people could put demographic info and other items like level of cleanliness, etc.

So........ if anyone wants to go ahead and set that up? Would appreciate it! :D

Has anyone heard about merit or financial aid from here?

If you submitted your financial aid info before the priority deadline (Feb 1), I think today is the first day we're supposed to start hearing back!

Is anyone going to slw planning on staying at a hotel? Was considering splitting the cost of a room

@sophie.lu101 I'd have been down if I hadn't already applied to stay with a student host. :(

Update on the 929 housing: I called them yesterday evening, and the manager said that they actually no longer have the discounts for tenants signing a lease at the same time, and that they should have probably taken down the ad from their website. On a related note, roommates can sign different leases; so for example, I could potentially sign my lease starting in 6/15 and my roommate for 2bd could start her lease on 8/1. So yeah, seems they're pretty flexible!

@Globalcrown755 I'd hope so!

To all of those thinking about finding roommates or finding houses either at 929 or elsewhere, I would highly suggest using the Class of 2021 Facebook page that we sent to your emails. Last year's class had a lot of success meeting with potential roommates on the group simply because the SDN thread here is only reaching out to a very narrow subset of your future classmates. I would venture to say all of the 929 apartment suites were decided in the Facebook group.

Also to all those who are on the fence about coming here, the match list for the Class of 2017 that was just released on Friday is absolutely baller. Vast majority of the class is going to killer programs in competitive specialties. The sky's the limit if you come here! And for those who don't care too much about going for the "highest ranked" ultra-competitive specialty programs (e.g. people like me :) ) you will find many avenues of opportunity to seek whatever fits you best.

Also to all those who are on the fence about coming here, the match list for the Class of 2017 that was just released on Friday is absolutely baller. Vast majority of the class is going to killer programs in competitive specialties. The sky's the limit if you come here! And for those who don't care too much about going for the "highest ranked" ultra-competitive specialty programs (e.g. people like me :) ) you will find many avenues of opportunity to seek whatever fits you best.

@wanderyonder: Do you happen to have access to the list? Quite interested in where everyone is going!

That's one hell of a match list! Looks like I made the right decision to matriculate here. :soexcited:

@wanderyonder: Do you happen to have access to the list? Quite interested in where everyone is going!
Reposting because I forgot to anonymize the list. My bad! :)

IMG_1922.JPG
IMG_1921.JPG
IMG_1923.JPG
IMG_1924.JPG

Reactions: 3 users
For all who are waiting for decisions, about 60 acceptances will be out "middle of next week"... Best of luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi y'all, just fyi: called to ask when we can start expecting to hear back about financial aid packages, and they just said they'll come out before SLW. lol

Last edited:
Hey all- I'm awaiting a decision mid next week, and trying to plan for SLW just in case, haha. Any already-accepted students have a general itinerary for SLW, or does anyone know if family members are invited for any of it? Thanks!

Hey all- I'm awaiting a decision mid next week, and trying to plan for SLW just in case, haha. Any already-accepted students have a general itinerary for SLW, or does anyone know if family members are invited for any of it? Thanks!

April 6th to 9th
Thursday: 12:00 pm - 7:30 pm
Friday: 9:00 am - 9:00 pm
Saturday: 8:00 am - 10:00 pm (8:00 am - 10 am is an optional walk/run or service project)
Sunday: URM brunch from 10:00 am - 12:00 pm

I left out Financial Aid appointment slots but your day could begin earlier if you choose to sign up for one. Not sure if families are welcome.

Good Luck next week!

Hey, everyone! Anyone know when would be a good time to send an update if we are waitlisted? At this point, should I wait until it's closer to the April 30 decision day? I figure spots won't open up until around then anyway but I also don't want to send it too late for them to see it in time. Thanks! :)

Hey, everyone! Anyone know when would be a good time to send an update if we are waitlisted? At this point, should I wait until it's closer to the April 30 decision day? I figure spots won't open up until around then anyway but I also don't want to send it too late for them to see it in time. Thanks! :)

Hey @voteknope , I've been holding off from responding since I'm not really sure I'm qualified to answer your question. But I'd say it couldn't hurt to send it earlier. Maybe they'd have more time to look over it? On the other hand maybe sending it closer to April 30th would mean it's fresh in their minds? If it were me, I'd probably send it sooner but that's just my opinion. Not sure if anyone else here has more experience sending these.

In case anyone is wondering I just got back my financial aid package! I won't say specifically what I got but I was blown away by the generosity of it! Hopkins' average indebtendess is like $100,000 in MSAR and I will be a decent bit below that. It's all needs based, and I got absolutely zero needs-based aid for undergrad due to parent income, so I was really happy. From what I've heard from them they give a very similar package to everyone with the goal of keeping borrowing levels relatively constant, so you all should have good news coming too!

Screaming!!! Just checked the portal -- accepted! beyond belief!

Reactions: 4 users
Alternate list :(

Do they do post interview rejections? Or just waitlist everyone? EDIT: answered below

Is there a difference between alternate list and waitlist?

Last edited:
The don't waitlist everyone post-interview. Rejected. Congrats to those with good news today!

The don't waitlist everyone post-interview. Rejected. Congrats to those with good news today!

Sorry my friend :/

but from your MD apps, it looks like you have amazing options to choose from!

So are late admits still able to sign up for second look events? Do we get financials before second look?

Just got fin aid the other day. Thought it was really generous. Parents make ~110,000. I got a little over 50,000 in scholarship, about 20,000 in loans for the year

I called about second look. They will be sending email with details in next couple hours. If you got accepted today you are still able to go.