2016-2017 Louisiana State University - New Orleans Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in state as well. Was complete just a week or two after you.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly am worried...I haven'r received an interview yet I am instate go to Tulane have a GPA of 3.83, MCAT of 506 I thought which was all within the range of getting something. I have gotten interviews to other schools even LSU shreve so I don't know....maybe they forgot about me.

Is it bad that I haven't heard back yet?

someone help shed some light on this

Yea seems pretty worrisome, but a lot of people are in the same boat..

Yea seems pretty worrisome, but a lot of people are in the same boat..
It seems that they put a freeze on IIs and any other form of communication a while ago. Idk though...

Reactions: 1 user
I sent them by email. Each time the told me they printed them and added them to my file.

Hey, which email did you send it to? I'm just about to send mine but wasn't sure of their email address.

Last edited:
Oh so is their II meaning interviews? I'm a little unsure of what that means haha. Do you go to Tulane btw

Yeah II means "interview invite". I don't actually. Went to LSU for my undergrad but graduated back in 2011.

Apparently they interview through April guys

Congrats! OOS? Mind sharing stats?

Sure! I think I wrote in greater detail in FSU 2017 forum, but I'll spare everybody and just give a summary: 3rd Year non-traditional applicant. Prior Louisiana Resident (born and raised, moved recently to Florida where Wife's family is from. Work as EMT past year for County EMS/Fire Rescue, just got Paramedic license). Interviewed 2 cycles ago at New Orleans in mid April I believe, NFA'ed, no seats opened up. Loved the school, loved the people, interview went really well last time. Loads and loads of extracurriculars and volunteer, worked as youth pastor for several years, then Human Resources Coordinator for company before going back to school to pursue medicine.
Last 40hrs (All science / Postbac): 3.9GPA
cGPA: 3.35
MCAT: 9,6,9

One day soon I'm going to write my whole story on the Non-traditional/Underdogs! Haha but waiting until the cycle is over! (Recently accepted to LMU-DCOM, on hold at FSU)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Still no interview invites guys....I'm starting to think I have no hope...

Don't lose hope! Still plenty of time, when I interviewed in 2015 I got the invite in mid March.
Btw did you get the interview in Mid-March for LSU? Did you get in? If not, hopefully not being too intrusive here, do you know why they said so?

Also has anyone heard anything yet? Seems to be pretty quiet on the II front?

Btw did you get the interview in Mid-March for LSU? Did you get in? If not, hopefully not being too intrusive here, do you know why they said so?

I didn't that year. What happens is they review you again after your interview, and your either Accepted, Rejected, or NFA'd (No further action). I got NFA'd, and basically you just wait a little longer. Then another review and I believe you either go on the waitlist, or rejected (this was well into May). What we were told was they had already sent out their maximum allowed acceptances, so basically we were waiting for people to drop their seat and I assume not very many did. I don't think a lot of people actually get into LSU from the waiting list either.

Does anyone know when they start having advocacy meetings?
I was told that the first one was in February. I don't remember when they said the second one was. I might be wrong on this, but it sounded like your advocate could advocate for you at any of the committee meetings, though, and the purpose of the advocacy meeting was just so that all of the NFA'd people would be discussed.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes first advocacy meeting is in February. I received a II on December 2 and interviewed on December 6. Eubanks told us that they meet on the third Friday of every month to discuss people who interviewed, however they typically only discuss about 5-7 people at these meetings and it might not even be recent interviewees that they discuss. If you do not get discussed at the meeting following your interview you get a NFA, if you do get discussed you either get an Accept or Reject letter. If NFA they can discuss you at any of the following monthly meetings, if they don't they will definitely discuss you at the advocacy meeting in February where they discuss everyone who has interviewed at that point. The second advocacy meeting is in May. I got lucky, after interviewing on December 6 I was discussed at the December monthly meeting and received an acceptance letter!!!!!!! From my understanding, the applicants that get discussed depends on the people who interview you, if you impress one of your interviewers they have the option to bring you up in the monthly meeting and have the board vote on you. If one of your interviewers do not bring you up you will for sure be voted on in the advocacy meeting.

Reactions: 4 users
Any movement lately? I know they typically take a break around Christmas time and start interviewing again towards the end of January but I feel like they started sending IIs out again by this time last year. Have spent a hefty sum of money over the past year to complete their 32 hour rule and my MCAT score will no longer be valid if I dont get in this cycle. A little anxious!

Seems like there has been some movement on II the past couple of weeks.

Any movement lately? I know they typically take a break around Christmas time and start interviewing again towards the end of January but I feel like they started sending IIs out again by this time last year. Have spent a hefty sum of money over the past year to complete their 32 hour rule and my MCAT score will no longer be valid if I dont get in this cycle. A little anxious!
They've definitely been sending II since the new year started back up; I got one ~2 weeks ago.

They've definitely been sending II since the new year started back up; I got one ~2 weeks ago.

Oh my. Nerves increased and Congrats! When is your interview and is this your first time interviewing there?

Thanks man....haha life is so hard sometimes

I also had a buddy who got an interview in mid march a few years back after a number of applications. He got accepted a month or so later and just matched into a very competitive residency. How time flies... I feel your stress haha.

Oh my. Nerves increased and Congrats! When is your interview and is this your first time interviewing there?
I already went to my interview, and yes, it's my first time interviewing there.

Also, I wouldn't stress too much about not getting an II yet. They made it clear that they've still got a lot of people left to interview.

I already went to my interview, and yes, it's my first time interviewing there.

Also, I wouldn't stress too much about not getting an II yet. They made it clear that they've still got a lot of people left to interview.

Nice! Did you have a good experience?
I'm pretty confident about getting an interview, just anxious over the thought of possibly having to reapply Given my mcat score is no longer viable after this cycle. I actually received an II there last year at the end of January and was NFA'd until late May. Was told I just need to finish my 32 hours which will be completed this semester. My experience at the interview sold me on LSU Nola.

Nice! Did you have a good experience?
I'm pretty confident about getting an interview, just anxious over the thought of possibly having to reapply Given my mcat score is no longer viable after this cycle. I actually received an II there last year at the end of January and was NFA'd until late May. Was told I just need to finish my 32 hours which will be completed this semester. My experience at the interview sold me on LSU Nola.
It was great. Fingers crossed that you don't have to reapply!

Anyone want to share the format they are using for update letters or the suggested format from Dr.Eubanks?

I used a format I found online, but I changed some of the phrasing. I just updated recent activities and what I was looking forward to about each one.

I've been wondering the same. I picked up a research project and emailed Mrs Paulette to ask what format they preferred for updates. She replied with "Thanks, I'll add to your folder."

Does anyone know the exact date of the advocacy meeting? I know it's sometime in February

Ive got one at Shreveport 2/7, so hopefully I can land at least one of them.

II!!!! Interviewing March 7th...hopefully that's not too late...

I also got a II from Shreveport but declined it...

Just looked up the class of 2021
Facebook page and it already has 123 members. Didn't expect that.

I used a format I found online, but I changed some of the phrasing. I just updated recent activities and what I was looking forward to about each one.
Do these letters even help? Will they read them or will they just be thrown away?

Do these letters even help? Will they read them or will they just be thrown away?
I can say that I know a lot of people (myself included) who got in right after they sent in update letters. Of note, it did push us all over the 32 hour rule, but still.

Really, anything helps. You want them thinking of your application in the next 2-3 weeks when they do the advocacy meeting.