2016-2017 Medical College of Georgia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a Hispanic immigrant who came here when I was 10.

In-state
I have a 3.9 GPA
510 MCAT
Over 300 hours of volunteers
Research experience

I haven't heard back from them about interview :(

What should I do??
I would definitely schedule a counseling call with one of the admissions directors once you hear back from the school. I was rejected last year without an interview and I had a counseling call in April with Dr. Khan. We went through my application and he told me what I could improve and add on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I would definitely schedule a counseling call with one of the admissions directors once you hear back from the school. I was rejected last year without an interview and I had a counseling call in April with Dr. Khan. We went through my application and he told me what I could improve and add on.

+1 Dr. Khan really is quite awesome. He seems to love meeting with students and will give you his time to talk about yourself, don't be shy!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Hispanic immigrant who came here when I was 10.

In-state
I have a 3.9 GPA
510 MCAT
Over 300 hours of volunteers
Research experience

I haven't heard back from them about interview :(

What should I do??

4.0, 518 with the usual extracurriculars. Also didn't get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
4.0, 518 with the usual extracurriculars. Also didn't get an interview.
Not sure why you didn't get an interview. Did you get interviews/acceptances to any other schools?

I wouldn't be surprised if you guys were "yield protected" out, if that's something med schools actually do

What does yield protected mean?

It's thought that schools reject anyone they think has a low chance of matriculating, since rankings are influenced by a school's yield (i.e. the amount of people they have to accept to fill the seats they want). A high yield, meaning less acceptances sent out, is what each school wants. It's thought that schools, rather unfortunately, just reject applicants who's stats are high enough that the school doesn't actually think that applicant will go there. This includes more of your mid and lower tier schools that have worse yields than higher ranked schools. I have no idea if this really happens, but I think that it's been confirmed by adcoms on SDN before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Don't feel too badly. I interviewed last year, did not get accepted & so I reapplied early July this year with much improved MCAT score and extracurriculars (including a medical scribe job, volunteering with MCG student run clinics, etc) and have not heard back about an interview. Assuming rejection email is coming before the March 15 deadline... Who knows what MCG is thinking this cycle *shoulder shrug*...

Don't feel too badly. I interviewed last year, did not get accepted & so I reapplied early July this year with much improved MCAT score and extracurriculars (including a medical scribe job, volunteering with MCG student run clinics, etc) and have not heard back about an interview. Assuming rejection email is coming before the March 15 deadline... Who knows what MCG is thinking this cycle *shoulder shrug*...

This blows my mind.

Reactions: 4 users
Not sure why you didn't get an interview. Did you get interviews/acceptances to any other schools?

Yeah, did fine at other schools. I don't think my application had any red flags and I'm in state.

I hope my 3.96 GPA isn't getting me yield-protected from schools because I haven't gotten in anywhere so far. :/ I only applied in-state and lowish/middish-tier because my MCAT is only a 509 and my ECs are cookie cutter. So I'm in the position of wondering whether I just interviewed THAT horribly or whether my GPA is getting me yield-protected.
I think you will be fine with those stats. Even if you are put on the wait list, MCG historically has a lot of wait list movement. I don't think overly critiquing your interview will do any good either, I did the same thing for about a week straight last month and it just made me anxious and frustrated.

I think you will be fine with those stats. Even if you are put on the wait list, MCG historically has a lot of wait list movement. I don't think overly critiquing your interview will do any good either, I did the same thing for about a week straight last month and it just made me anxious and frustrated.
I hope you're right! The thought of all of those thousands of dollars down the drain is making me physically ill.

To be clear, my interview was 6 months ago, so that's part of why I'm so disheartened.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you're right! The thought of all of those thousands of dollars down the drain is making me physically ill.

To be clear, my interview was 6 months ago, so that's part of why I'm so disheartened.
I'm right there with ya. I interviewed mid-October so I've had plenty of time to think haha I hope we hear good news soon!

Similar boat here. Hopefully, MCG likes to keep all their students super anxious up until the end and accepts a good number at the deadline.

Reactions: 3 users
I hope my 3.96 GPA isn't getting me yield-protected from schools because I haven't gotten in anywhere so far. :/ I only applied in-state and lowish/middish-tier because my MCAT is only a 509 and my ECs are cookie cutter. So I'm in the position of wondering whether I just interviewed THAT horribly or whether my GPA is getting me yield-protected.
3.96 is 90th percentile at Mercer and just under 90th at MCG, so I'd doubt you are being yield-protected based on GPA.

This blows my mind.

Honestly, same. I really thought I'd hear back for an interview at least, but it's ok! I've been accepted to 2 other great schools. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

I know plenty of people currently at MCG with a 4.0 GPA and similar MCAT score (a few with higher scores), so I also don't think you have to worry about being yield-protected. That's for people who make like 90th+ percentile and higher on the MCAT with 4.0 GPA.

I know plenty of people currently at MCG with a 4.0 GPA and similar MCAT score (a few with higher scores), so I also don't think you have to worry about being yield-protected. That's for people who make like 90th+ percentile and higher on the MCAT with 4.0 GPA.

You guys are making me nervous lol I got an interview soon after I submitted my secondary but I only have a 3.7 and a 510.

It's thought that schools reject anyone they think has a low chance of matriculating, since rankings are influenced by a school's yield (i.e. the amount of people they have to accept to fill the seats they want). A high yield, meaning less acceptances sent out, is what each school wants. It's thought that schools, rather unfortunately, just reject applicants who's stats are high enough that the school doesn't actually think that applicant will go there. This includes more of your mid and lower tier schools that have worse yields than higher ranked schools. I have no idea if this really happens, but I think that it's been confirmed by adcoms on SDN before.
Thank you!

You guys are making me nervous lol I got an interview soon after I submitted my secondary but I only have a 3.7 and a 510.
Dont worry ,I had slightly higher GPA but same MCAt got an interview right after i submitted my Secondary and was accepted 1 week ago.

Has anyone received financial aid or scholarship info yet?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Has anybody on this thread been accepted to the Athens campus for the AU/UGA Medical Partnership? I just received word that I will be attending that campus, and am looking for potential roommates/housemates.

Does anyone know if mcg releasing any more acceptances today or tomorrow?

Does anyone know if mcg releasing any more acceptances today or tomorrow?
There was speculation. When I interviewed they said all decisions would be made by 3/15, but I'm pretty sure AMCAS gives them until April (something) for decisions. I still haven't heard anything, but I'm happy waiting so long as I'm not rejected!

Wait seriously? Even march 15th might not bring relief??? This cycle kinda sucks, schools are yield protecting like crazy.
Is there any benefit in telling a school they are your top choice, if you haven't heard anything since the interview? I know LOI's are usually only for people on the waitlist.

Wait seriously? Even march 15th might not bring relief??? This cycle kinda sucks, schools are yield protecting like crazy.
At my interview they told us everyone will hear something by 4/15. We'll just have to see what happens tomorrow I guess

The only thing they have to do by 3/15 is offer acceptances equal to the number of seats available. I *think* they've already done that, but I have zero evidence to back that up.

Reactions: 2 users
The only thing they have to do by 3/15 is offer acceptances equal to the number of seats available. I *think* they've already done that, but I have zero evidence to back that up.
I'm not sure if they have yet, seeing as some people are already withdrawing and they haven't sent out more acceptances.

I'm not sure if they have yet, seeing as some people are already withdrawing and they haven't sent out more acceptances.

If they've sent out acceptances for exactly the number of seats they plan to fill, I think we can assume they've accepted about a little more than half the number they plan on accepting overall. If this is the case I think things are looking good, but it's totally depended on how many they've accepted up until now.

I just read through last year's thread. They sent out waitlist emails on March 11th. They also sent out a round of acceptances the same day. So I would think we'd all be learning our status soon.

Also, from what I could find, it looked like the first person to be pulled off the waitlist was on April 26th. But another poster said they knew someone from the cycle before who interviewed in September, was waitlisted, and got pulled off the waitlist in May.

Tl;dr Final statuses "should" come out any day now. There's still hope for everyone who gets waitlisted. Good luck to you all!

I spoke to a representative last Thursday, and asked about the March 15 date and she confirmed the results would definitley be out by April 15. She said on that day that the committee was still having meetings about applicants.

I just read through last year's thread. They sent out waitlist emails on March 11th. They also sent out a round of acceptances the same day. So I would think we'd all be learning our status soon.

Also, from what I could find, it looked like the first person to be pulled off the waitlist was on April 26th. But another poster said they knew someone from the cycle before who interviewed in September, was waitlisted, and got pulled off the waitlist in May.

Tl;dr Final statuses "should" come out any day now. There's still hope for everyone who gets waitlisted. Good luck to you all!

Hi! I think that was me who posted that. Yeah, I know someone who interviewed in September the cycle before last and then was waitlisted and accepted in May. Coincidentally, that same exact thing happened to me during the last cycle.

In past cycles, I think they've started sending out waitlist acceptances very late April. I'm not sure if they'll do that again this year though since they apparently aren't telling you your statuses until April 15th anyways. They do a lot of waitlist movement in May. And then things start slowing down in June.

Hi! I think that was me who posted that. Yeah, I know someone who interviewed in September the cycle before last and then was waitlisted and accepted in May. Coincidentally, that same exact thing happened to me during the last cycle.

In past cycles, I think they've started sending out waitlist acceptances very late April. I'm not sure if they'll do that again this year though since they apparently aren't telling you your statuses until April 15th anyways. They do a lot of waitlist movement in May. And then things start slowing down in June.

So you think, there aren't new acceptances till Apr 15th?

I think AMCAS says the schools have to offer acceptances equal to available seats by March 15, but there is no requirement as to how many of those offers are actually accepted by the students. They could essentially offer 240 students acceptance, have all 240 students decline those acceptances, and still meet the AMCAS requirements.

Again, I have no evidence of this, it is just how I interpret the AMCAS website.

So you think, there aren't new acceptances till Apr 15th?
I honestly don't know what they've told you. In past years, the day for them to typically tell you your status by has been March 15th. But people who called the office said they were told April 15th. Unless they've changed things (and it sounds like they may have?), they need to send out enough acceptances to fill the class by March 15th. And then they waitlist most everybody else.

Did anyone ever come to a conclusion on what the Document Status tab means? Has anyone seen it asking for transcripts and NOT gotten accepted or waitlisted?

Mine just updated this evening, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up about hearing anything tomorrow. I had been checking it all day...

Did anyone ever come to a conclusion on what the Document Status tab means? Has anyone seen it asking for transcripts and NOT gotten accepted or waitlisted?

Mine just updated this evening, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up about hearing anything tomorrow. I had been checking it all day...
My Document Status tab changed a while back and I've heard absolutely nothing since my interview in November. So I hope it means good news for us! But I'm not exactly holding my breath

Are you referring to the information about transcripts? It's got the letter codes and what it means? I just logged on to mine and that's what I see. I haven't paid close attention to my portal at all though outside of scheduling the interview, so I have no idea if that is what you're referring to, or if that has been there the entire time. Right now my two undergrad universities are listed and next to each it says "missing".

But to answer your question, I haven't been accepted or wait listed yet. The only people who may provide some insight are those who were already accepted.

Last edited:
I honestly don't know what they've told you. In past years, the day for them to typically tell you your status by has been March 15th. But people who called the office said they were told April 15th. Unless they've changed things (and it sounds like they may have?), they need to send out enough acceptances to fill the class by March 15th. And then they waitlist most everybody else.
Do they accept letters of intent after you are waitlisted? Or is the Dec. 1 deadline still in place?

Do they accept letters of intent after you are waitlisted? Or is the Dec. 1 deadline still in place?

To my knowledge, they do not accept letters of intent after you are waitlisted. December 1st is the last day to submit anything on your file (or at least it was in previous years). To be safe though, you could probably call to find out.

Do we have any one in this thread who got wait listed , I thought MCG didnot get to that stage yet to release the WL list,
if you are , when did you get WL?