2016-2017 Northwestern University (Feinberg) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WedgeDawg

not actually a dog
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Given the distinctive educational philosophy and curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution.
(Limit your response to 200 words)

Describe the coping skills (not problem solving skills) you use when confronted with difficult situations.

Describe your career plans and goals. Be as specific as your current thinking will allow.

(if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.

A section about diversity with check boxes then:
If you wish, use this space to provide more detail about your selections above and how you would bring diversity to the Northwestern community.

Do you or an immediate family member have an existing relationship with the Feinberg School of Medicine? Yes No
If the answer to the question is YES, please provide details. (Limit your response to 75 words)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I wanted to post to wish you all good luck. I will be starting as an MS1 at Feinberg this year, and I’m happy to answer any questions about the application process and my experience. While I can’t answer questions about life as a Feinberg med student yet, I’ll do my best to post here periodically once I start med school and provide some insight.

I would also like to add that in my experience, Feinberg’s admissions process was very holistic. However, I applied MSTP, so that was likely a huge influence given that the MSTP interviews were completely separate from the MD interviews. Try not to be discouraged if you don’t have a 3.9 GPA. Northwestern was a "reach school," but the interview was where everything clicked, and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else after that. As I found, Feinberg looks at much more than just numbers. They are truly looking at the entire package to see if you will be a good fit.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I wanted to post to wish you all good luck. I will be starting as an MS1 at Feinberg this year, and I’m happy to answer any questions about the application process and my experience. While I can’t answer questions about life as a Feinberg med student yet, I’ll do my best to post here periodically once I start med school and provide some insight.

I would also like to add that in my experience, Feinberg’s admissions process was very holistic. However, I applied MSTP, so that was likely a huge influence given that the MSTP interviews were completely separate from the MD interviews. Try not to be discouraged if you don’t have a 3.9 GPA. Northwestern was a "reach school," but the interview was where everything clicked, and I couldn't imagine being anywhere else after that. As I found, Feinberg looks at much more than just numbers. They are truly looking at the entire package to see if you will be a good fit.

Good luck!
Congrats on your acceptance! So what do you think clicked in your interview and also what do you think made you a good fit for the school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Northwestern's secondary references the unique nature of their school and asks why we think we could do well there.

I just reviewed their website and entry in the MSAR, and well...they kind of just seem like a fairly typical high tier medical school. Do any NWU students have any insight on what makes the school so unique? @clueless192

@Gibbward , @ChrisMack390 : I'm an incoming student, so I can't tell you about the culture of the school firsthand, yet. What clicked for me was the drive of the current students and the attitude of the directors. Here, the directors were willing to listen to the ideas of what I want to accomplish, give me feedback, and help me find ways to work within the program to get everything done- as opposed to other programs, where the directors wanted students to just toe the line a lot more.

As for why it's unique, there's some insight into this on last year's thread, but yes, it does seem to have a lot of characteristics that you'll find at any typical med school. What worked for me was to find reasons that I wanted to go here, as opposed to other going to other high tier schools, e.g. specific research, opportunities, etc.

Northwestern's secondary references the unique nature of their school and asks why we think we could do well there.

I just reviewed their website and entry in the MSAR, and well...they kind of just seem like a fairly typical high tier medical school. Do any NWU students have any insight on what makes the school so unique? @clueless192

Rising M2 here. That's a tough question to answer since schools are more similar than they let on.

However, things I like about Feinberg: 20 mon preclinical systems based curriculum, the college system (the med school class is separated into 4 colleges/hogwarts houses), students are pretty chill and collaborative, location cannot be beat, hospital is sparkly clean, faculty are accessible, lots of research opportunities.

Things I don't like as much: too many mandatory group sessions, required to give feedback on almost everything (courses, peers, faculty, lectures, etc), tuition is outrageous (compared to peer institutions), med school library is dank and atrocious.

I realize this is just a generic laundry list of things that can be said for other schools as well, but I don't know how it is at other schools since Feinberg is the only one I've ever attended.

For the secondary, I recommend finding something about Feinberg that you like and talk about how this connects with your interests and activities and how you will contribute to the school. I've noticed that Feinberg is quite proud of its combined degree offerings. It is one of the few places that offer an MD/MPH in 4 years (I know other schools have an MD/MPH, but most of them require 5 years IIRC). If you want an MD/MBA, NU's business school is highly ranked, but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Rising M2 here. That's a tough question to answer since schools are more similar than they let on.

However, things I like about Feinberg: 20 mon preclinical systems based curriculum, the college system (the med school class is separated into 4 colleges/hogwarts houses), students are pretty chill and collaborative, location cannot be beat, hospital is sparkly clean, faculty are accessible, lots of research opportunities.

Things I don't like as much: too many mandatory group sessions, required to give feedback on almost everything (courses, peers, faculty, lectures, etc), tuition is outrageous (compared to peer institutions), med school library is dank and atrocious.

I realize this is just a generic laundry list of things that can be said for other schools as well, but I don't know how it is at other schools since Feinberg is the only one I've ever attended.

For the secondary, I recommend finding something about Feinberg that you like and talk about how this connects with your interests and activities and how you will contribute to the school. I've noticed that Feinberg is quite proud of its combined degree offerings. It is one of the few places that offer an MD/MPH in 4 years (I know other schools have an MD/MPH, but most of them require 5 years IIRC). If you want an MD/MBA, NU's business school is highly ranked, but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg.
I've heard feinberg is uniquely full of gunners, even relative to other top tier schools. Also, are any classes in Evanston, or are you downtown all 4 years?

I've heard feinberg is uniquely full of gunners, even relative to other top tier schools. Also, are any classes in Evanston, or are you downtown all 4 years?

I don't know about the former statement because I don't know what it's like at other schools. However, from my experience thus far, people are very collaborative and open about sharing resources, notes, study guides, anki decks etc. All of us are very serious about our studies and want to do well on the boards, but as far as I know, no one sabotages their classmates.

As for your question about classes, all classes take place on the Chicago campus.

Anyone get the prompts yet?

Just checked their website, it says they send out the secondary around August 1st

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am MSTP so take these prompts with a grain of salt but here goes:

Why did you choose your undergraduate major? How does the subject appeal to you? (Limit your response to 200 words)

Name a scientific paper that you have read recently that had a strong impact on you and describe what impact it had. (Limit your response to 200 words)

Discuss a current unanswered question in biomedical research that you find particularly interesting and what research you would like to see done to address it. (Limit your response to 200 words)

What is the most gratifying research experience you have had to date and why? What was the greatest obstacle you had to overcome in research and how did you overcome it? (Limit your response to 200 words).

Diversity essay (2oo words)

How do you envision your career after you complete your training, including residency and fellowship? What aspects of your life and career will be most satisfying? What frustrations can you envision in your future career, and how do you hope to handle them? (Limit your response to 200 words).

Please describe your current research interest as you plan your research training. (Limit your response to 400 words).

I am MSTP so take these prompts with a grain of salt but here goes:

Why did you choose your undergraduate major? How does the subject appeal to you? (Limit your response to 200 words)

Name a scientific paper that you have read recently that had a strong impact on you and describe what impact it had. (Limit your response to 200 words)

Discuss a current unanswered question in biomedical research that you find particularly interesting and what research you would like to see done to address it. (Limit your response to 200 words)

What is the most gratifying research experience you have had to date and why? What was the greatest obstacle you had to overcome in research and how did you overcome it? (Limit your response to 200 words).

Diversity essay (2oo words)

How do you envision your career after you complete your training, including residency and fellowship? What aspects of your life and career will be most satisfying? What frustrations can you envision in your future career, and how do you hope to handle them? (Limit your response to 200 words).

Please describe your current research interest as you plan your research training. (Limit your response to 400 words).
Lol this is 100% the MSTP prompts. I hope the regular MD program is the same as last years.

Reactions: 1 users
I was told by the adcom for the regular MD program that secondaries will be sent out in mid to late July

Plenty of prompts in my inbox as it is. NW can take their sweet, sweet time :)

Reactions: 8 users
Really surprised at how late Northwestern's secondary is. But yeah, +1 to above, not complaining.

Received the secondary yesterday 7/13

@WedgeDawg

Given the distinctive educational philosophy and curriculum at FSM, describe how your personal characteristics and learning style would fit the institution.

Describe the coping skills (not problem solving skills) you use when confronted with difficult situations.

Describe your career plans and goals. Be as specific as your current thinking will allow.

(if applicable): If you have (or expect to have) a year or more between college graduation and medical school matriculation, describe your activities and/or plans.

If you wish, use this space to provide more detail about your selections above and how you would bring diversity to the Northwestern community.

Do you or an immediate family member have an existing relationship with the Feinberg School of Medicine? Yes No
If the answer to the question is YES, please provide details. (Limit your response to 75 words)

@WedgeDawg

Is this for MD?

Does Northwestern screen? Has anyone else gotten the secondary?

@WedgeDawg

What are the options for diversity?

Is this for MD?
Yes, this is for MD.

What are the options for diversity?

Please note that this question divides into 4 sections:
A) Racial/Ethnic Background
B) Sexual and Gender Identities
C) Social Background and
D) Narrative Description:

A) Racial/Ethnic Background
Black/African-American
Specify (optional)
African
Specify (optional)
Hispanic/Latino
Specify (optional)
Native American
Specify (optional)
If checked, are you enrolled in a tribe? Yes No Not Sure
Please list tribal affiliation (s) here:
Have you ever lived on a reservation? Yes No
Do you have an immediate family member primarily raised on or currently living on a reservation? Yes No
Pacific Islander
Specify (optional)
White/European American
Specify (optional)
Asian
Specify (optional)
Biracial or multiracial
Specify (optional)
Other
Specify

B) Sexual and Gender Identities
Bisexual
Gay
Heterosexual
Lesbian
Queer
Transgender
Specify (optional)
Other
Specify

C) Social Background
Economically disadvantaged (grew up in a low income household, sought safety net services such as: TANF, food assistance, housing assistance)
First generation high school graduate
First generation college graduate
First in family to pursue a professional degree
Medically underserved background (ever enrolled in Medicaid, sought medical services at free clinics, delayed or went without medical care due to cultural, financial, or geographic barriers)
Grew up in a rural area (less than 5,000 people)
Grew up in a home where English was not the primary language
Speak a language (other than English) fluently
Specify (optional)
Worked to contribute to family/household expenses with wages before age 18
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals card holder
Refugee/Asylee
Experience with challenges relating to undocumented status (you personally or close relatives).
Physical or mental disability
Specify (optional)
Experience with foster care or adoption
Raised primarily in a single-parent household
Experienced a high number of disruptions/transitions during your K-12 education due to family moves or other life circumstance
Other
(Please describe: )

Got the secondary just now. This is my last one so I've been waiting to be officially done with these darn things.

Edit- left out a word

anyone else still waiting on a secondary? verified 6/29

Last edited:
Secondary Submitted. Now to wait for a hopeful Interview.

:watching: Watching my inbox as if my surveillance will somehow summon the secondary.

Reactions: 6 users
Just got the secondary! Verified 6/7

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So in my haste to submit my secondary quickly it appears that I may have accidentally forgotten to change the name on one of my essays to Feinberg School of Medicine. I'm not 100% sure that's the case though. I called the admissions office and they said that shouldn't be enough to disqualify me from attending there, but I feel my chances have just dropped significantly.

Verified 7/11, just got the secondary. 3.9/33 (unbalanced, low VR)

Just got the secondary as well–last one, too!

Got the secondary just now - best of luck to everyone in this thread!

Secondary received and submitted! Now the waiting and neuroticism begins.

I know there's already some discussion about this, but for teh first question, did you basically answer it as a "Why FSM?"